PDA

View Full Version : Canadian DP's For The Summer Transfer Window

[NBF]
03-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Here me out on this, Owen Hargreaves, Kevin McKenna, and Paul Stalteri are all going to be available this summer after their contracts run out in 2011.

So, you gotta think that they might gain some interests from MLS teams. If not the Whitecaps than maybe "The FC"(hahahahahaha).

So what do you guys think about 2 out of 3? Or all of the above?

razor787
03-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Theres an option missing.

I choose 'I don't care about nationality'

We need to get a DP that will be perfect for what we want, not someone who happened to be born on the same patch of earth as us.

And how is Hargreaves a 'Canadian' DP. He picked to play for England. The way I look at it, is he may be a Canadian citizen, but he in no way should be called a Canadian when you are talking about his football career.

Azerban
03-06-2011, 09:24 PM
yeah canadian dps have been pretty good value for money lets get like fucking 10 of them

Super
03-06-2011, 09:30 PM
I choose 'I don't care about nationality'

This.

I don't know why we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot by insisting on Canadian players. We need some, sure, that's mandated by the league. But let's focus on younger players to fill up the bench (mainly) and then hire players based on skill and not nationality to make up our starting 11.

swan
03-06-2011, 09:43 PM
none please

London
03-06-2011, 09:45 PM
who fucking cares where they are from????

id take a guy from fucking pluto if he could help the team.

after watching that shitshow yesterday, they need to fill most positions anyway

KRO
03-06-2011, 09:49 PM
None of the above and no more Ajax trialists please.

MG42
03-06-2011, 09:50 PM
I like McKenna, but I don't know about giving him DP money

Suds
03-06-2011, 09:53 PM
I'll go with none of the above.

Stalteri - is way too slow and not worth the DP slot or money
Hargreaves - Sign for 2 mill and be injured for his entire contract
McKenna - not worth a DP slot or money

We need a much bigger impact than any of these guys would bring if we were to sign another DP.

drewski
03-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Hargreaves? in MLS? something would tear just thinking about it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nuvinho
03-06-2011, 10:00 PM
none...why does it have to be a Canadian DP? Look at the crap we have to deal with the Canadian players we have already. If we do get a Canadian DP, will we throw him under the bus like we do with JDG.

the nationality of the DP we get in summer should not be Canadian...unless its one that represents another country ;)

TFCRegina
03-07-2011, 12:58 AM
There's no none of the above option.

J .
03-07-2011, 03:54 AM
Id boo Whoregreaves mercilessly.

Shitty poll.

mastermixer
03-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think any DP can save the team this year.

Milky
03-07-2011, 08:24 AM
First of all, as Canadians, I think it's fun to speculate on available Canadians in Europe; we should cut the OP some slack! Secondly, out of the players mentioned I think I'd take Kevin McKenna over the rest. He is a household name in Germany and if TFC could afford him then why not? Plus, he could play as a striker sometimes too. Hargreaves (if you consider him Canadian) would be a major health risk but on the right contract it might be worthwhile, and Stalteri is on his last legs too but for the right contract, maybe. McKenna and Hargreaves are probably best suited to TFC's new style, though. For what it's worth I voted for Kevin.

Fort York Redcoat
03-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Stalteri and McKenna would be great to watch on this team but both being past the apex of their careers I would not offer up a DP spot for either. These moves would be a retirement plan and a testimonial for Canadian Services rendered.

The third name you mentioned has nothing to do with our country anymore.

Yohan
03-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Stalteri still might be able to help TFC, but only because TFC's fullbacks are so poor

McKenna still have some gas left, and will be able to contribute.

But deffo not as DPs

as for that other guy, he's had what, 2 games in last 3 years? unless he can prove his match fitness, not wort risking a DP for

Alixir
03-07-2011, 09:04 AM
didn't we already try the Canadian DP experiment. Canadian and DP should not even be said in the same sentence.

scooter
03-07-2011, 09:10 AM
none of the above

we already have canadians at the end of their careers on the team

we need the new young canadians comming up through the acadamies

maninb
03-07-2011, 09:30 AM
None of them....perhaps Mckenna but only for $150K maximum....

Pachuco
03-07-2011, 09:34 AM
I am pleasantly surprised at the reaction in this thread. It doesn't matter where the player is from, if he's the right fit, sign him up. So having said that, none of these players are worth DP money in the MLS, Canadian or not.

ensco
03-07-2011, 09:37 AM
I look at Dallas and RSL as the models for us. They play an attractive style and were right there, in contention all the way.

Neither has a big focus on systems, or DPs.

What they both have is talented South Americans at the right price.

We don't put enough pressure on management to deliver that for us.

Suds
03-07-2011, 09:40 AM
I am pleasantly surprised at the reaction in this thread. It doesn't matter where the player is from, if he's the right fit, sign him up. So having said that, none of these players are worth DP money in the MLS, Canadian or not.

Truth!

Of the three listed I'd only be interested in McKenna. However, not as a DP or that level of pay. I emphasize interested because I have not seem him play in some time and have no idea if his level of play has dropped off or at what rate.

s2cazz
03-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Heres an Idea. rather than focus on Canadian / Non-Canadian lets get a DP that benefits the squad the most. Regardless of Origin.

Fort York Redcoat
03-07-2011, 10:25 AM
I look at Dallas and RSL as the models for us. They play an attractive style and were right there, in contention all the way.

Why is it so difficult to expect seeing the best local talent play for their local team at a reasonable price?

We all know the factors involved by now so I disagree that we have to go one place or another but as we can see around the league reasonable SA talent will play in MLS.

Brooker
03-07-2011, 10:44 AM
who voted for owen? i want their names and address

Mark in Ottawa
03-07-2011, 11:12 AM
There's no none of the above option.
^^ +1.
That would get my vote.

Gazza
03-07-2011, 01:09 PM
No one in the MLS has the class of Owen Hargreaves.

Having said that, i wouldn't give him a contract based on the fact that his career looks to be over prematurely. You can't cure chronic tendinitis.

I like Kevin Mckenna, but not at DP money. Having three Canadian DP's seems like a waste.

prizby
03-07-2011, 01:13 PM
this is suppose to be a joke of the day thread right?

menefreghista
03-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Is Whoregreaves still playing?

Stryker
03-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Yes focusing on canadians has been a colossal success for us thus far.

If this thread existed in the physical world I'd set it on fire and watch the fucker burn.

Fort York Redcoat
03-07-2011, 01:33 PM
So much Canadian Backlash. Shame really.

Blame Canada.

Why is it too much to have the best team on the pitch we can AND have the best Canadians available to us. Giving up on the best Canadian content seems defeatist and consolatory.

TFCRegina
03-07-2011, 01:39 PM

Blame Canada.

Why is it too much to have the best team on the pitch we can AND have the best Canadians available to us. Giving up on the best Canadian content seems defeatist and consolatory.

Stalteri hasn't kicked a ball in anger, either for the first team or reserves in 2 years for Gladbach. I don't want him.

Hargraeves isn't Canadian and shouldn't be on the list. I'm against booing players on TFC but if he was signed, I'd be hard pressed to live up to that commitment.

McKenna is arguably the only one on the list who should be making DP wages and his "DP wages" are really only deserved in European leagues where he wouldn't be the only one making those wages. McKenna is a central defender, and the last person we should be acquiring.

Jaime Peters, Iain Hume or Simeon Jackson would be far more worthy of that kind of money.

Milky
03-07-2011, 01:42 PM
To be fair to Kevin McKenna, he's only just turned 31. He's not passed it yet (especially not for a defender) and I think he's got another contract left in him, for sure. But I'd have to agree with the general concusses that he's not worth DP money. No MLS club in their right mind would pay DP money for a player in a defensive position. *ahem*

Wull
03-07-2011, 02:36 PM
There isn't a single Canadian worthy of DP money at the moment for me, not many Americans either. Hopefully having 3 professional teams in MLS, expanding their academies and Edmonton stepping up too should mean that isn't the case in 10 years though

Technorgasm
03-07-2011, 02:44 PM
I'd take yesterdays Sunshine Girl over any of thesee dudes

Stalteri is a Canadian LEGEND and has to be respected, O.H. gave up on Canada long ago, and with his history of injuries, we are better off without him.

TFCRegina
03-07-2011, 05:25 PM
I'd take yesterdays Sunshine Girl over any of thesee dudes

Stalteri is a Canadian LEGEND and has to be respected, O.H. gave up on Canada long ago, and with his history of injuries, we are better off without him.

I'm sure she'd work for less than DP wages. Maybe a developmental contract.

prizby
03-07-2011, 05:49 PM

Blame Canada.

i don't want guys that are about to be shuffled off to the old folks home...give me some young canadian blood that want to earn their stripes and have some bite in their game and have something to prove!

werewolf
03-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Rob Friend hasn't scored for Hertha Berlin since September, he is going to be 30 this year. I think he could do well here, but he probably has more years in Europe, and he isn't from Toronto.

ag futbol
03-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Why would anybody sign Owen Hargreaves? Not only is that odd choice for various other reasons but he is so injury prone I think his retirement is imminent. Otherwise I would hope the Whitecaps sign him and we could retain Saric just for the occasion.

As for the other two: Meh, I think if you spent a little more and looked harder you could find better alternatives. I'd take either of them as non-dp options, but I don't think either particularly fits the "total football" vision of TFC.

Blowing Bubbles
03-07-2011, 07:02 PM

<3 <3 <3 <3

Thank you for saying it.

Almost all of the value signings are coming from South America. Look at the way young Colombians have been mined by a handful of teams in this league.

We need to be going after the guys who are 17-20 yrs old and not quite elite players who are falling through the cracks in terms of being sold into Argentina/Brazil/Europe.

Players like Montero are an obvious example. These types of guys can be had for fractions of a DP salary. They also offer future reward if they pan out in terms of re-sale value.

Look I love the EPL as much as the next guy and get nostalgic about all of the history from the clubs in the lower leagues but going into those areas for players is almost always shitty value.

Dallas is building a future army with the number of Mexicans and Colombians they have plucked into their academy.

ie.

from big cocker:

El Pais in Colombia is reporting FC Dallas and U-20 Colombian starlet Fabian Castillo are finalizing a deal (http://www.elpais.com.co/elpais/deportes/noticias/fabian-castillo-cumplira-su-sueno-americano). With a quote from Dallas' Oscar Pareja, a Colombian himself.

Also included in the deail is striker Manga Escobar.

We, at the FCD board, are getting pretty excited.

Some thoughts from Big D (http://www.bigdsoccer.com/2011/3/5/2031974/the-thinking-behind-signing-fabian-castillo) and 3rdDegree (http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/soccer/post/_/id/11075/three-reasons-why-this-fabian-castillo-rumor-could-be-true).

Philly has 4 Colombians on their roster. Seattle and Dallas's best player are also Colombian.

Ok so maybe that country has been mined. But what about the other countries ....

Blowing Bubbles
03-07-2011, 07:05 PM

Blame Canada.

I want to be known as the club who has the next generation of Canadian talent. I don't want to be known as the club that gives guy 1 more payday.

I think we should always have a couple of older Canadian vets for team stability, but ideally these guys are making something like 75-120k rather than near DP money or worse yet, getting paid $175-225 to do something others could do for half the price.

Shway
03-07-2011, 07:33 PM
none please

concur

Razcle
03-07-2011, 10:22 PM
didn't we already try the Canadian DP experiment. Canadian and DP should not even be said in the same sentence.

I disagree with you sir. I would give a DP contact to Josh Simpson, Hutch, JDG2, Simeon Jackson, and probably Hoilett (however he still hasn't found the back of the net much in his young career).

I know all of the above players would not sniff at an MLS contract unless it was a ridiculous payday, however there are Canadians that could make a huge impact in this league in the right circumstance. I believe the lads above would all be worth DP money if they could fit in the system Winter is trying to set-up

However I do agree with the setiment that we need the best players we can get regardless of nationality. We are now working hard to develop young canadians into future professionals and when this system starts bearing lots of fruit we will always see 25-50% of our roster made up of Canucks we can truely get behind.

TFCRegina
03-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Why would anybody sign Owen Hargreaves? Not only is that odd choice for various other reasons but he is so injury prone I think his retirement is imminent. Otherwise I would hope the Whitecaps sign him and we could retain Saric just for the occasion.

As for the other two: Meh, I think if you spent a little more and looked harder you could find better alternatives. I'd take either of them as non-dp options, but I don't think either particularly fits the "total football" vision of TFC.

I was thinking Adrian Serioux.

Fort York Redcoat
03-08-2011, 08:13 AM
i don't want guys that are about to be shuffled off to the old folks home...give me some young canadian blood that want to earn their stripes and have some bite in their game and have something to prove!

Every Canadian coming through the Accies have something to prove. Job done. I want more than that.

Pachuco
03-08-2011, 11:59 AM
<3 <3 <3 <3

Thank you for saying it.

Almost all of the value signings are coming from South America. Look at the way young Colombians have been mined by a handful of teams in this league.

We need to be going after the guys who are 17-20 yrs old and not quite elite players who are falling through the cracks in terms of being sold into Argentina/Brazil/Europe.

Players like Montero are an obvious example. These types of guys can be had for fractions of a DP salary. They also offer future reward if they pan out in terms of re-sale value.

Look I love the EPL as much as the next guy and get nostalgic about all of the history from the clubs in the lower leagues but going into those areas for players is almost always shitty value.

Dallas is building a future army with the number of Mexicans and Colombians they have plucked into their academy.

ie.

from big cocker:

Philly has 4 Colombians on their roster. Seattle and Dallas's best player are also Colombian.

Ok so maybe that country has been mined. But what about the other countries ....

Didn't Winter and Co. say that they would have South Americans trialing in Florida? Correct me if I'm wrong but they haven't brought in a single trialist from down there. You could argue Plata is but that's not really the case as he came from the draft.

I too wonder why we neglect the South American countries so much. Specially in Winter's system. I can understand why Preki wouldn't be interested (and yes I'm generalizing) but Winter? You'd think he would have the contacts already and be interested in their style of play.

Pachuco
03-08-2011, 12:02 PM

Blame Canada.

I don't get this quote at all. It's Canadian backlash because we don't want to sign one guy who isn't even Canadian and then 2 guys who we just don't think are worth DP money?

What are you saying? that we should take Stalteri and McKenna as DPs because they are Canadian? Yikes!

Fort York Redcoat
03-08-2011, 01:01 PM
^No. It's backlash when there's kneejerk decisions and generalization on Nationality. In this instance it's concerning Canadian players.

And I'm pretty sure you're the only one saying I want any of the above players as DP's.

Pachuco
03-08-2011, 01:16 PM
^No. It's backlash when there's kneejerk decisions and generalization on Nationality. In this instance it's concerning Canadian players.

And I'm pretty sure you're the only one saying I want any of the above players as DP's.

Except for maybe 1 or 2, I see the exact opposite of what you are saying. Most people in this thread have agreed that we should NOT be going out and signing a DP based on his nationality, particularly because he's Canadian. Nationality is irrelevant and should be when looking for one of the best players on your team.

Fort York Redcoat
03-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Except for maybe 1 or 2, I see the exact opposite of what you are saying. Most people in this thread have agreed that we should NOT be going out and signing a DP based on his nationality, particularly because he's Canadian. Nationality is irrelevant and should be when looking for one of the best players on your team.

I understand the sentiment of picking the best team regardless but imagining that Nationality irrelevant and not being a consideration is simply farcical.

Pachuco
03-08-2011, 01:32 PM
I understand the sentiment of picking the best team regardless but imagining that Nationality irrelevant and not being a consideration is simply farcical.

Why should nationality be a consideration when picking a DP? and to be more precise. Why should it be a Canadian?

Fort York Redcoat
03-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Why should nationality be a consideration when picking a DP? and to be more precise. Why should it be a Canadian?

Because every Canadian who prefers to play for their local home team has a secret turbo boost button under each of their toes.

I think we both know how fruitful me trying to convince you of the benefit of having a successful Canadian DP at our club would be.:banghead: By the same token I ask you to convince me I'd prefer a successful mercenary at my club over a successful local player.

How about we quit while we agree that these 3 players mentioned are not a good choice for DP's for our club.

DangerRed
03-08-2011, 01:51 PM
How about ... anyone?

Why don't we sign someone.

Anyone.

Like, a player. Who we can use.

Like all the other teams are signing.

Like when you need to substitute someone because they're injured or tired. Or when we have too many games to play in a short span of time.

Would that make sense?

Why don't we do that.

Fort York Redcoat
03-08-2011, 01:54 PM
^I agree. Sign someone first. Get like a full squad. If the star was Canadian I'd be over the moon but I don't like seeing the team suffer because a Canadian is not earning his spot.

Pachuco
03-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Because every Canadian who prefers to play for their local home team has a secret turbo boost button under each of their toes.

I think we both know how fruitful me trying to convince you of the benefit of having a successful Canadian DP at our club would be.:banghead: By the same token I ask you to convince me I'd prefer a successful mercenary at my club over a successful local player.

How about we quit while we agree that these 3 players mentioned are not a good choice for DP's for our club.

You got this argument all wrong. Nobody is saying take successful mercenary over the sucessful local player if in fact they are both identical players with the only difference being nationality. We are saying we don't give a rats ass where he's from, if he's the best available player for the position then take him, regardless of nationality. I really don't see anything wrong with that. I think you are maybe just a little sensitive on the whole Canadian soccer player thing.

Macksam
03-08-2011, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't take any of the three mentioned players as DPs per say. Well, Mckenna is comparable to Demerit so maybe him.

For DPs in general, if possible, Javier Zanetti would be nice. Makes me sad knowing that it will never happen considering he still moves around and has the athletic ability of a 20 year old.

TFCtoMUFC
03-09-2011, 10:54 PM
I don't care if you're from Staten Island, Easter Island or the Toronto Island. If you can play at what is generally considered DP caliber, and do it consistently, you are welcome on my team any day.

Ivan
03-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Hutch wouldn't and shouldn't come to MLS. I mean, me's a key starter at the top club in top 5 league. Hoilett's just getting to his peak. Staltieri, Friend, etc., no, for the reasons stated. McKenna plays the wrong position for what we need. I think it's Jackson that makes an interesting target. He's got huge potential but is currently not doing much for Norwich, but a lot of teams are sniffing around him and he might get sold or loaned out soon. Norwich paid £600,000 for two years and his price might be £1,000,000 now... He's likely on a wage that would put him in the DP range.

Milky
03-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Rob Friend hasn't been having the best of seasons in Germany, actually. A switch to the MLS might help him. From a selfish standpoint, however, I hope that he stays in Germany.