PDA

View Full Version : We are in deep deep guano if we don't get a result at Swangard next week.

ensco
07-01-2008, 09:30 PM
"There will be three points awarded for a win and one point awarded for a draw. In case two teams are tied on points after four matches, the winner will be decided first by goal differential, then if necessary by most goals scored, then if necessary by most away goals, then if necessary by the drawing of lots."

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?sub=1&Press_ID=3107

After 2 games TFC sit on 3 points, our goal differential is zero, we have 1 goal scored, and we have 1 away goal

After 3 games, Montreal has 6 points and is plus 3, with 4 goals and 2 away goals

After 3 games, Vancouver has 3 points and is minus 3, with 1 goal, and they will finish with 1 away goal

Head to head results don't matter.

So Vancouver can only get through by beating TFC next week, and by hoping that TFC beat Montreal. Because of their poor goal differential, though, Vancouver need to beat us by 3 goals or more to have any shot whatsoever. So they will have to open it up. This could be helpful to us.

If TFC beat Vancouver by 3 goals or more, then TFC only need a draw against the Impact.

In every other scenario TFC will need to beat the Impact July 22 to get through.
- If TFC win by 1 goal, 2 goals, or get a draw, against Vancouver, any margin of victory July 22 will be enough.
- If TFC lose at Vancouver, then goal differential, goals scored and away goals will come into play. TFC would need to beat Montreal by at least 2 goals, and very likely 3 goals, to get though.

We are in deep deep guano if we don't get a result at Swangard next week.

Dredg_XI
07-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Sweet dude. Thanks for doing that thinking for me. I was trying to figure it out but I'm still too drunk...

yanggoh
07-01-2008, 09:34 PM
I can't believe it's come to this. So much for "Our First Ever Title!!" being guaranteed...

Cambridge_Red
07-01-2008, 09:35 PM
we should be winning both games no fucking excuses.

noochie
07-01-2008, 09:37 PM
A draw in VAN and a win at home against MTL is our best bet... get a win in VAN and it will be more comfortable coming back home for sure.

ua-kozak_TFC
07-01-2008, 09:51 PM
I don;t think we need to win for more than 3 goals against vancouver as long as we win and get a point from montreal we are fine.

ensco
07-01-2008, 09:55 PM
A draw in VAN and a win at home against MTL is our best bet... get a win in VAN and it will be more comfortable coming back home for sure.

Sadly, there is no difference between a draw and a win next week, unless we win by 3 or more :(

ensco
07-01-2008, 09:59 PM
I don;t think we need to win for more than 3 goals against vancouver as long as we win and get a point from montreal we are fine.

Nope. Say we beat Vancouver by one goal and draw Montreal.

Both Montreal and TFC would have 7 points, so it would go to goal differential. Montreal would be plus 3 and we'd be plus 1. We'd be out. :mad:

Bombonera
07-02-2008, 07:41 AM
THE way we are playing, we don't deserve to represent SFA let alone Canada.

rocker
07-02-2008, 08:01 AM
can you imagine montreal winning the championship on our field tho? makes me sick just thinking about it.

Canadian Blue
07-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Lets just tank the competition on purpose and concertrate on the league....:noidea:

ensco
07-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Lets just tank the competition on purpose and concertrate on the league....:noidea:

I know what you're getting at, but this is kind of like the fight in the bar that you didn't want, or start, but that you have to finish.

No USL team hoists a trophy at the Fortress. Period.

olegunnar
07-02-2008, 08:57 AM

Unfortunately (in my opinion) for some reason the FA cup comparisons keep prevailing.
There are upsets due to lack of interest in the FA cup so yesterday wasn't that unexpected yadda yadda.
Now your tongue in cheek post.

To me this is a different situation. This is Champions League....not the FA cup which ranks right up there with the Charity Shield in terms of importance these days.

If Rapid Vienna or a small club like that beat a big 4 club in champions league it would be a disgrace.

Shaughno
07-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Unfortunately (in my opinion) for some reason the FA cup comparisons keep prevailing.
There are upsets due to lack of interest in the FA cup so yesterday wasn't that unexpected yadda yadda.
Now your tongue in cheek post.

To me this is a different situation. This is Champions League....not the FA cup which ranks right up there with the Charity Shield in terms of importance these days.

If Rapid Vienna or a small club like that beat a big 4 club in champions league it would be a disgrace.

As was yesterday's performance. Totally unacceptable.

arsenal
07-02-2008, 09:12 AM
MLS transfer window opens July 15 ... but would we be able to play a new signing in the Vancouver game on the 9th?

Pigfynn
07-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Rapid Vienna is not a small club

Pachuco
07-02-2008, 09:19 AM
MLS transfer window opens July 15 ... but would we be able to play a new signing in the Vancouver game on the 9th?

I remember reading somewhere that Huckerby would be available to play before the 15th.

Roogsy
07-02-2008, 09:21 AM
We need to crush Vancouver. End of. After they came into our house and flopped around for a win...I want their spirits crushed.

olegunnar
07-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Rapid Vienna is not a small club

Okay I'm sorry I pulled that off the top of my head. To make it up I did some googling and found some scores from 2007 UEFA Champions League qualifying.

In 2007 Champions League qualifying

Liverpool beat Toulouse 5-0 (1-0, 4-0)
Arsenal beat Sparta Prague 6-0 (2-0, 3-0)
Sevilla beat AEK Athens 6-1 (2-0, 4-1)

Now one could argue that EPL to Ligue one is similar to MLS to USL
Or La Liga to the Greek Super League is similar to MLS to USL

The better team from the better league, doesn't lose in Champions League qualifying....it's not a cup competition that has been pushed back because of lower payouts to clubs...it's Champions League

olegunnar
07-02-2008, 09:25 AM
We need to crush Vancouver. End of. After they came into our house and flopped around for a win...I want their spirits crushed.

I agree! 4-0 won't be good enough.

sweetlemon69
07-02-2008, 10:46 AM
huckerby could play if we sign him as I think because he's a free agent or whatever, we can sign him whenever.

yanggoh
07-02-2008, 10:48 AM
I said it earlier somewhere else: beating Vancouver 8-0 and Montreal 16-0 will be the only way we'll ever live down yesterday's loss in the eyes of supporters for both those clubs.

djking2
07-02-2008, 10:54 AM
I think the best way would be to win the next two games convincingly then beat Nic. and go on to qualify from our group.

Four more home games sounds sweet to me