PDA

View Full Version : Sportsnet signs 3 year deal with Whitecaps

Canuck82
03-04-2011, 12:55 PM
All of the Whitecap games (except for one) will be on TV this year and shown in HD.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/03/03/whitecaps_sportsnet/

Any word on when TFC will be announcing their lineup - and will Sportnet be back for the non-TSN and I am sure non-GOLtv games?

menefreghista
03-04-2011, 01:04 PM
All of the Whitecap games (except for one) will be on TV this year and shown in HD.

Even that game will be on TV, its scheduled for City TV Vancouver.

MG42
03-04-2011, 01:13 PM
so pissed I have to get TSNHD lol

LittleOzzy
03-04-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm still hoping for no games on GolTV.

I would be a lot happier if Sportsnets or TSN/TS2 picked up the rest of the games.

TFCwestcan
03-04-2011, 05:55 PM
At the end of the day I just want to watch all the TFC games regardless of the channels. $2.95 a month for Gol TV does not bother me at all. I wonder now if Sportsnet will have the local TFC matches, Gol for the US away, TSN for a bit of both, shared with the caps. I would like this all sorted out in time to decide which HD channel I will get.

TFC07
03-04-2011, 06:16 PM
What the hell is TFC FO doing? The season is almost here, but yet we don't know our local TV schedule.

If Vancouver can get all their games on local channels, then I am sure TFC can do the same instead of forcing their fanbase to buy a channel to watch TFC play.

menefreghista
03-04-2011, 06:42 PM
What the hell is TFC FO doing? The season is almost here, but yet we don't know our local TV schedule.

If Vancouver can get all their games on local channels, then I am sure TFC can do the same instead of forcing their fanbase to buy a channel to watch TFC play.

In its short history TFC has never had its TV schedule released early. It usually comes out days before the first match.

djcuse
03-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Sportsnet will not be showing any TFC games this year... GolTV and TSN will be the sole broadcasters...

LittleOzzy
03-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Sportsnet will not be showing any TFC games this year... GolTV and TSN will be the sole broadcasters...

Link?

swan
03-05-2011, 09:52 AM
:puke::puke::puke::puke:

menefreghista
03-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Link?

Sounds like insider info.

If the bulk of the games end up on Gol TV that will be a step backwards.

LittleOzzy
03-05-2011, 10:17 AM

If that happens most people will end up watching more Vancouver games which is just sad.

TFC should be well ahead of them with announcing this stuff after 5 years, we should be on a main network and we should be the focus of soccer in Canada.

TFC front office has no clue at times. I refuse to pay for GolTV when I already have 5 Sportsnet channels, 2 TSN's, CBC and The score already available to me.

Carts
03-05-2011, 10:41 AM

If Maple Leaf games didn't generate such a huge bidding war and in turn such a high price, the day would come when most Leaf games would end up on LeafsTV...

Just look at MSG Network in the New York...

The bulk of the Knicks, and Rangers games are on a channel, that started out similar to the way LeafsTV and GOLTV started...

Network broadcasting is on a steady decline, while specialty networks are on the rise...

MSG started as 'Madison Square Network' and was actually the first 'regional sports channel' in North America. Its purpose was to show games that network television would not (aka Rangers, Knicks, and midweek Yankee games)...

The channel has grown into its own "mini network" with MSG Plus, and the Yankees breaking away and forming YES - as they're big enough for their own channel...

Free TV is on the downturn. Whether we all like it or not. Just think, there was a day when a heavyweight title fight (boxing) was on NBC, network television for free - that has morphed into pay-per-view...

Local sports was often radio only, unless you made the national tv broadcast. Now its local tv (usually a specialty channel) and then the weekly national network broadcast (like the Maple Leafs, Saturday nights its CBC, free for all, over the air - midweek its usually SportsNet cable channel, and usually only in the Leafs region)...

The most positive thing in all this is that the league in Canada is getting more and more mainstream TV coverage. With TSN and SportsNet you have two competing networks that both do an excellent job at covering sports that they are attached to. Both are readily available (its not like either is Setanta sports costing $17.95 a month for a single channel)...

Games on GOLTV can be seen as a step backwards by some, because the channel is not well known, and doesn't have the 'big league' feel as the others. But remember, MLSE shows Maple Leaf hockey games on their own channel - the NHL's marquee and Number-1 financial franchise, and show Raptor games on their 'NBA TV', so it shouldn't be a shock to people that they would want to show TFC games on their own channel...

Also, thinking "we should know the TV schedule by now" is also a bit of 'thing of the past'. The NFL actually sets their TV schedule, and GAME START TIMES, week-by-week. On a Monday, the league meets and decides what game goes to Sunday night (yes the schedule is set at the start of the season) and adjusts the schedule accordingly. So on a Monday, you could have a ticket for a 1pm game, and a night shift at work, and suddenly you're told "game is at 8pm for TV"...

Just think, the NFL proudly boasts, they could play every single game, in front of a completely empty stadium, and still make millions and millions of dollars - TV is the engine that drives the league revenues...

All said, this is GOOD for the league. If TV is an afterthought, than the league itself will soon be an afterthought...

"Stay tuned" (cheesy signoff! lol)
Carts...

menefreghista
03-05-2011, 11:59 AM
The thing is TFC is still a fairly new club. They do not have the same following and history as the Leafs (or Yankees).

So if you go and shove the bulk of your games onto a network that has a very limited reach you are threatening to make your product even more irrelevant.

TFC isn't ready to have a shitload of games on a subscription network.

You need to try to have as much access as possible for your fanbase and for the casual sport fan. You aren't going to build your numbers on Gol TV.

---------

As for the NFL, it is totally different. Most fans already know way in advance at least which networks are showing the games. So even if a game is moved they know where its going

TFC fans only know where a third of its games will be broadcast at this point. Which sucks.

nfitz
03-05-2011, 12:30 PM
If the bulk of the games end up on Gol TV that will be a step backwards.It would be ... seems surprising that the Whitecaps get a better TV deal.

I'd wait for an official announcement.

Blowing Bubbles
03-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Also, thinking "we should know the TV schedule by now" is also a bit of 'thing of the past'. The NFL actually sets their TV schedule, and GAME START TIMES, week-by-week. On a Monday, the league meets and decides what game goes to Sunday night (yes the schedule is set at the start of the season) and adjusts the schedule accordingly. So on a Monday, you could have a ticket for a 1pm game, and a night shift at work, and suddenly you're told "game is at 8pm for TV"...

That's not entirely true. The Sunday night schedule is set before the season stars.

But NBC does have the right for a 'flex' schedule late in the year to make some changes.

Flexible Scheduling

Allows teams to play their way onto the Sunday night schedule
In 2006, the NFL implemented a primetime "flexible scheduling" element on Sundays in Weeks 10-15 and in Week 17.
Flexible scheduling ensures quality matchups on Sunday night in those weeks and gives surprise teams a chance to play their way onto primetime.
The 2010 NFL schedule will again utilize flexible scheduling in Weeks 11-17. The NBC Sunday night time slot for "flex" weeks will list the game tentatively scheduled for Sunday night.
Only Sunday afternoon games are eligible to be moved to Sunday night, in which case the tentatively scheduled Sunday night game will be moved to an afternoon start time. Flexible scheduling will not be applied to games airing on Thursday, Saturday or Monday nights.
But I think the main complaint is we don't know what network the games are on ..... and this is huge for people who may have to adjust their cable packages accordingly.

The NFL does have flex TV sched's for Sunday nights - but you know before the season stars what games are on FOX, CBS, NBC, ESPN & NFL Network.

poppamidnight
03-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Question:

Will these whitecaps games be available to us in Ontario?

or will there be a regional blackout like there is for NHL games (e.g. - Canucks, Flames, Oilers)????

LittleOzzy
03-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Whitecaps games already being advertised on Sportsnet. Plus was mentioned at least three times during Soccer Central today.

Yet TFC fans have no idea where they will be watching most games this season.

Carts
03-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Question:

Will these whitecaps games be available to us in Ontario?

or will there be a regional blackout like there is for NHL games (e.g. - Canucks, Flames, Oilers)????

I inquired about this with the league (aka regional boundaries etc) and will let you know what they say...

Carts...

Carts
03-05-2011, 06:16 PM
That's not entirely true. The Sunday night schedule is set before the season stars.

Please re-read, I said the schedule is set at the start of the season...

Carts
03-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Whitecaps games already being advertised on Sportsnet. Plus was mentioned at least three times during Soccer Central today.

Yet TFC fans have no idea where they will be watching most games this season.

Whitecaps vs Toronto is currently being promoted on TSN...

poppamidnight
03-05-2011, 07:39 PM
I inquired about this with the league (aka regional boundaries etc) and will let you know what they say...

Carts...

Thank you kindly - I'm curious to note how this goes - CFL + NHL have regional blackouts if im not mistaken,

MLB + NBA = No go on reg blackouts....

Ugggh - How I despise being forced to watch the Maple Laughs struggle for 8th seed, while my Canucks are dominating in 1st place with Regional Blackouts in effect

johnmolinaro
03-06-2011, 10:58 AM
RE: TFC television schedule for this season....

I would expect an announcement to be made no later that early next week.

JM

TFC07
03-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Games on GOLTV can be seen as a step backwards by some, because the channel is not well known, and doesn't have the 'big league' feel as the others. But remember, MLSE shows Maple Leaf hockey games on their own channel - the NHL's marquee and Number-1 financial franchise, and show Raptor games on their 'NBA TV', so it shouldn't be a shock to people that they would want to show TFC games on their own channel...

Raptors have all their games on the main sports channels. They actually move away from having games on their channel a long time ago.

TFC isn't Maple Leafs; they can't afford to piss off fans even more now. Putting their games on GolTV (which by the way isn't that a popular channel to begin with) isn't going to help MLSE grow TFC brand since GolTV has a low viewership compare to Sportsnet.

Blowing Bubbles
03-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Thank you kindly - I'm curious to note how this goes - CFL + NHL have regional blackouts if im not mistaken,

MLB + NBA = No go on reg blackouts....

Ugggh - How I despise being forced to watch the Maple Laughs struggle for 8th seed, while my Canucks are dominating in 1st place with Regional Blackouts in effect

yeah I'm super curious about how this works too. On the mlb & nba side is it that there's only 1 team?

Or is it b/c with the NHL they're trying to drive revenues from selling the Centre Ice package.

It's a bit unfair if we can't access those regional games considering that MLS Direct Kick isn't available here (afaik)

Blowing Bubbles
03-06-2011, 12:38 PM
I want to add that right now Canadian IP's seem to be locked out of ordering Matchday Live

You are accessing this page from a restricted territory.

MLS MatchDay Live is not available outside of the
United States.

https://mdl.mlssoccer.com/mlsmdl/secure/registerform

Something has to be going on with regional rights ownership :confused:

nfitz
03-06-2011, 12:51 PM
I would expect an announcement to be made no later that early next week.Ah, but does the week start on a Sunday or a Monday. Would you expect an announcement in 2-3 days or 9-10 days?