PDA

View Full Version : Porter prefers to make an Impact

C.Ronaldo
03-03-2011, 09:26 AM
http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/961530--porter-prefers-to-make-an-impact

Kyle Porter prefers to make an Impact

The Vancouver Whitecaps of the Major Soccer League have reluctantly given up on 21-year-old Kyle Porter of Mississauga, who wants to play soccer in Montreal.
In an interview with The Vancouver Province, Whitecaps Coach Teitur Thordarson said the young winger-forward left the Caps' training camp two weeks ago, hoping to sign with the Montreal Impact.
Thordarson said Montreal was offering more money, but Porter's MSL rights are held by Vancouver.
Montreal will join the league for next season, in 2012.
"We offered him a contract and he didn't want that," Thordarson told The Province.
"He was unhappy with the financial part of it but we couldn't do otherwise. It's a little bit strange for me. The decision must have been taken because he felt he had a bigger opportunity to play in Montreal than here, which is impossible to say until we start this (season)" the coach said.
Thordarson said Porter did well at the end of last season and, "I really thought that he would develop to become a good player. We tried to get him to understand that we really wanted to keep him here."
Porter would likely have earned just over $32,000 with the Whitecaps.
Porter, who has been training in Arizona, has not commented on the situation.
The rising star earned a spot on Soccer Canada’s roster for the 2009 CONCACAF Under-20 championship in Trinidad & Tobago.
Between September 2006 and May 2007, he earned six caps with Canada’s U-17 national team.
jstewart@mississauga.net

woolly
03-03-2011, 09:31 AM
I thought the title referred to the Imapct gettgin some kind of package deal for away supporters.

Silly me.

Parkdale
03-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I thought the title referred to the Imapct gettgin some kind of package deal for away supporters.

Silly me.

yeah.... where have we heard that line before? :rolleyes:

"If TFC's first game is in Vancouver, then maybe we'll look into the possibility of subsidizing the airfare or something"

^not an exact quote, but that's what was said.

prizby
03-03-2011, 09:34 AM
yeah i thought it had to do with some sponsorship deal with porter airlines

mastermixer
03-03-2011, 09:37 AM

"If TFC's first game is in Vancouver, then maybe we'll look into the possibility of subsidizing the airfare or something"

So did TFC make any progress with this? I remember hearing that at the meeting I went to as well. At least an update?

TorCanSoc
03-03-2011, 09:38 AM
I wondered where that guy went. Canadian Idol winner, now professional footballer. Wow.;)

Uh oh... I've outed myself.. I watched Canadian Idol.

menefreghista
03-03-2011, 09:39 AM

Its interesting how the club was ready to make so many promises when there was so much unrest. Subsidizing flights, supporter's preferred relocation, etc.

As soon as they reached a certain level of season ticket sales it appears they just stopped trying to appease us.

Don't make promises if you don't intend to keep them.

TorCanSoc
03-03-2011, 09:49 AM
08' opener in Columbus. TFC approved bus tour Pro-something, I can't remember the name. The promotion said enjoy a bus tour to Columbus with drinks and food. 10 hour bus ride, and the food was a bag of bagels, and the drinks ran out after the 12 pack of NoFrills OJ in the first two rows of the bus.

Hey they delivered the goods, those bagels were damn bagel'y.

Parkdale
03-03-2011, 09:53 AM
So did TFC make any progress with this? I remember hearing that at the meeting I went to as well. At least an update?

if they did, then I haven't heard any of it.

well except for one bs line that said "MLS regulations forbid Teams from chartering planes"

yeah..... for the players !!

I can't believe there's a MLS regulation about helping supporters travel. It happens all the damn time (look at Dallas coming to the Cup Final)

Parkdale
03-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Hey they delivered the goods, those bagels were damn bagel'y.

they got the bagels, we got the holes.

Macksam
03-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Why exactly can't the Caps offer him more money?

rocker
03-03-2011, 09:20 PM
sounds like the Caps were only willing to give him one of those cheap backend positions that are off the salary cap. they didn't want to commit anything else to him.

Alonso
03-03-2011, 09:24 PM

Who said... might I ask?

DichioTFC
03-03-2011, 09:47 PM
^An-Smell-Me if I'm not mistaken.

Has anyone taken their broken promise back to them, like gotten a direct response from the FO?

Alonso
03-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Doesn't sound like a promise to me, just an insinuation.

Which is actually worse in my opinion.

DichioTFC
03-03-2011, 10:36 PM
It could've been as simple as thinking aloud, but there is a feeling of being disingenuous.

If I'm not mistaken, he said it right around the time they were holding fan forums pre-MLS Cup.