PDA

View Full Version : TFC waives Gomez

DangerRed
03-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Bye bye Emmanuel..

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/03/emmanuel-gomez-waived

Edit: him being a defender, I'd say this increases the odds of a deal for someone like Westmaas.

Stryker
03-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Dammmmn. He was really good too.
Obviously his knee is shot, probley never be able to play pro again. Poor kid.

Shway
03-01-2011, 04:54 PM
why? why? why?

at 20yrs old he showed promise
he wasn't getting payed much either,

these dutch players better be substantially good, or Winter is going to be held accountable

JonO
03-01-2011, 05:02 PM
This seems like a move to open an international slot. Too bad, because he seemed to have some real strength on the ball. Maybe he's still struggling with the affects of his injury

Ossington Mental Youth
03-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Also prob to open an academy spot, no?

Ossington Mental Youth
03-01-2011, 05:24 PM
I don't care too much about this, never saw much in him, never saw much of him good luck gomez

Chevy
03-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Bah! That sucks. He had some potential. I would put money on his injury being the primary cause of his release.

bgnewf
03-01-2011, 05:39 PM
TFC Makes a Small Roster Move

[/URL][url]http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/03/tfc-makes-a-small-roster-move/ (http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/03/tfc-makes-a-small-roster-move/)

In this piece I talk about the release of Emmanuel Gomez and that there are a couple of potentially worthy candidates in the waiver draft tomorrow that might be worth a flyer on.

Mark TFC
03-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Met him at the 90th minute party at the end of last season, nice guy but I never got a chance to see him play unfortunately. Hopefully he can get over the injury and keep playing. Good luck with everything, Emmanuel.

rocker
03-01-2011, 06:21 PM
He was First Wave Sports guy, right?

ag futbol
03-01-2011, 06:37 PM
He was also taking an international spot.... worth noting

Nuvinho
03-01-2011, 08:04 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/clubs-meet-roster-deadline-22-players-waived

Maybe we can pick up Zimmerman

prizby
03-01-2011, 08:08 PM
him and sanyang needed some developing; showed real promise

Red CB Toronto
03-01-2011, 08:17 PM

A player should never have it held against him that he chose First Wave as their representative. What do people have against one agency, having worked in the pros, dealing with agents is a part of the game, so why single out one who just happens to get their clients a pro contract.

AL-MO
03-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Damn. Seemed like he had a lot of promise before his knee injury.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-01-2011, 08:24 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/clubs-meet-roster-deadline-22-players-waived

Maybe we can pick up Zimmerman

oh man i like that idea alot, granted i saw little of him but what i did see i thought to be decent enough

AL-MO
03-01-2011, 08:24 PM
A player should never have it held against him that he chose First Wave as their representative. What do people have against one agency, having worked in the pros, dealing with agents is a part of the game, so why single out one who just happens to get their clients a pro contract.

The previous regime made a lot of us wonder if one of the requirements was to be a first wave player. Remember - The same organization who repped our former GM??

DangerRed
03-01-2011, 08:38 PM

You mean First Waive Sports, right?

Badum-tish...

Shakes McQueen
03-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Had some promise, but never blew me away. Must not have looked right after his injury. I wish him well.

- Scott

Damien
03-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Sanyang and Gomez were probably attached at the hip. The came and left around the same time.

TFCDP
03-02-2011, 12:16 AM
He was also taking an international spot.... worth noting

This is the key here.

sashavukelich
03-02-2011, 12:53 AM
i expect a move for Anthony Obodai (from Houston) as he nearly spent his entire career in the dutch 1st and 2nd division.

Cashcleaner
03-02-2011, 08:12 AM
why? why? why?

at 20yrs old he showed promise
he wasn't getting payed much either,

these dutch players better be substantially good, or Winter is going to be held accountable

Sure, his salary likely wasn't very much, but if the guy can't physically perform at 100% then there's not much anyone can do about it. I don't blame TFC and I don't blame Gomez.

Fort York Redcoat
03-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Yep it's too bad. Liked the way he was progressing until the injury. Thought he could be a workhorse for this team but that's the way it goes...

ensco
03-02-2011, 08:25 AM
He showed real promise in 2009. It's a shame.

maninb
03-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Good riddance...Injury prone, average player taking up an Int'l spot....easily replaced...

TorCanSoc
03-03-2011, 09:54 AM
I remember him being super cool under pressure. Nerve-wrackingly cool under pressure if I remember. I was like, "does that kid know he's in an MLS game?" I thought to myself, you can't teach that kind of calm in a footballer. But we'll never know if that translates to success. Injuries... tragic. But that's football.

Good luck to him.

jloome
03-03-2011, 03:05 PM
I know it's just football but I don't like this situation one bit. Two kids are uprooted from one of the smallest countries in Africa, brought way out of their element, given little-to-no chance to develop (both under 20), then cut loose.

Brutal.

DichioTFC
03-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Good riddance...Injury prone, average player taking up an Int'l spot....easily replaced...

co-signed

I know it's just football but I don't like this situation one bit. Two kids are uprooted from one of the smallest countries in Africa, brought way out of their element, given little-to-no chance to develop (both under 20), then cut loose.

Brutal.

This isn't some humanitarian effort we've got going on, this is a business. They couldn't cut it. I'm sure they'll be fine with the CADs they'll be taking back to The Gambia. And apparently, from Gomez' wiki page, he's a national hero. So there ya go.

Luanda
03-03-2011, 10:42 PM

Brutal.

Devastating actually.

jloome
03-04-2011, 12:23 AM
co-signed

This isn't some humanitarian effort we've got going on, this is a business. They couldn't cut it. I'm sure they'll be fine with the CADs they'll be taking back to The Gambia. And apparently, from Gomez' wiki page, he's a national hero. So there ya go.

Yes, well, with compassion like that, is it any wonder we all get together so well.

Luanda, you hear anything about Gomez' knee? He's a good young defender.

maninb
03-04-2011, 08:18 AM

Brutal.

Sanyang was given every chance in the world...sorry but if you can't prove yourself in 35 games or so you don't deserve another chance...He was undiciplined (a red card waiting to happen every game), a far too inconsistent...and perhaps Gomez is hard done by because of his injury problems but that's the luck of the draw...TFC aren't a charity....

Stryker
03-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Sanyang was given every chance in the world...sorry but if you can't prove yourself in 35 games or so you don't deserve another chance...He was undiciplined (a red card waiting to happen every game), a far too inconsistent...and perhaps Gomez is hard done by because of his injury problems but that's the luck of the draw...TFC aren't a charity....

Your memory is as poor as your writing skills.

Parkdale
03-04-2011, 02:13 PM
^ hey, don't make it personal.

debate the point, don't take shots at the poster.

Batman
03-04-2011, 02:41 PM
BTW.. I noticed on the waived list up above that Brian Edwards was given the boot as well.

brad
03-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Never impressed with Sanyang, I thought he was garbage. Turned the ball over far to cheaply far to often. He couldn't complete simple short passes when not under pressure.

Gomez looked promising, but hard to say. Winter comes from the Ajax youth academy so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt on his ability to judge youth potential. He obviously didn't see it in Gomez. Whether that was a result of his knee or not, we'll never know.