PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Rumour: Westmaas to TFC

TFC The Hague
03-01-2011, 09:42 AM
http://www.parool.nl/parool/nl/13/AJAX/article/detail/1853853/2011/03/01/Ajacied-Westmaas-misschien-naar-Toronto.dhtml

Google Translate:

Westmaas maybe to Toronto

Kevin Westmaas hopes to DOVO his last game for Ajax amateurs to have played. For the left back a glimmer of adventure at the highest level in America Major League Soccer.

The call came a few weeks ago really unexpected. On the other side of the line came the voice of Bob de Klerk, assistant coach at Toronto FC, but in the past continue to coach the club Westmaas now plays itself. Or he felt like one week to come to Turkey Belek internship with the Canadian club.

The 23-year-old did not require to be told twice, packed his bags and traveled immediately to Turkey. Several courses later, he could show his worth in an exhibition game against the Croatian champions Dinamo Zagreb.

Good feeling
Flink''work hard,''recalls Westmaas themselves. ''It was a big difference with what I'm used to. The pace was very high. ''After fifteen minutes, I began to get used to it and from then it went good.''

While in Toronto went 3-1 perish but Westmaas got compliments from Toronto coach Aron Winter. ''He thought I had done it properly. I had more in those few days can bring.''

Westmaas actually been waiting his entire career on a chance at a club the caliber of Toronto. He never played a professional football club. A few times he sat on the bank of Ajax and in his younger years he ran both Ajax and Feyenoord training, but both times it was nothing.

He has a good feeling that this step comes now. His biggest problem: Major League Soccer clubs are only allowed eight players outside Amerika. Javier Martina former Ajax player and former player Nick Chabab Soolsma according Westmaas around with the club. He himself will qualify for the last spot. Within a few days knows the athletic back where he stands. Then the last trainees had their chance at the club.

GuelphStorm2007
03-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Hopefully this is True because we sure could use a fullback.

Pachuco
03-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Did he play in Orlando? I only saw the second game and didn't really know how our defenders were.

MartinUtd
03-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Is it just me or does it seems we're going after an awful lot of amateur players?

TFC The Hague
03-01-2011, 10:37 AM
No. He was with the team in Turkey and played against Dinamo Zagreb. He went back to Holland while TFC trialled more left backs in Orlando. It leaves the impression that Westmaas is waiting at home to see if anyone better pops up in camp. If not, I guess he'll be signed after the Charleston camp.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Dont think he was in florida.

bgnewf
03-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Is it just me or does it seems we're going after an awful lot of amateur players?

Just "devil's advocating" here but how different are amateur players in Holland from North American kids coming out of the NCAA via the SuperDraft? You could argue that in certain respects the amateurs might be more polished prospects than the NCAA kids might be.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Just "devil's advocating" here but how different are amateur players in Holland from North American kids coming out of the NCAA via the SuperDraft? You could argue that in certain respects the amateurs might be more polished prospects than the NCAA kids might be.

fantastic argument, especially if these kids were in the system since a young age where the same cant necessarily be said for the NCAA kids.
Also you gotta think the calibre of teams in the dutch league is higher than the MLS as a result they might not get a look, but that doesnt mean their all together crap.

sashavukelich
03-01-2011, 01:23 PM

Very well said, however i'm incredibly disappointed at the quality of our florida camp trialists...we seriously need to improve our scouting

Jeffro
03-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Westmaas actually been waiting his entire career on a chance at a club the caliber of Toronto.

LOL! :o

TFCRegina
03-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Once again, I'll just note that "Amateur" league in the Netherlands is a semi-pro league. We're /probably/ banking our hopes on USL type players. But hey, it may work out...

KezmanCCCC
03-01-2011, 02:02 PM
What happened to eddy sidra? He would have been a good signing for tfc and could have been used as a winger. He hasn't been with the club since turkey.

oxygenatedbrain
03-01-2011, 02:26 PM
http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/Olympic_M/national.asp?Press_ID=4679

Nice if he could bring Pisanjuk back with him.

TFCRegina
03-01-2011, 02:28 PM
http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/Olympic_M/national.asp?Press_ID=4679

Nice if he could bring Pisanjuk back with him.

The same Pisanjuk that got booted from his club for being lazy and having attitude problems?

oxygenatedbrain
03-01-2011, 02:33 PM
No doubt.