PDA

View Full Version : Naming the south stands?

mastermixer
03-01-2011, 08:56 AM
I know I'm not "officially" a supporter or part of any group, but I was just wondering if anyone approached ownership and proposed naming the south stand... maybe putting up some sort of signage to signify it right at the top centre. I know a lot of teams around the world do it and I think it would add to the future traditions of TFC. Any suggestions?

London
03-01-2011, 08:57 AM
the Danny Dichio stand

Yeoman
03-01-2011, 09:03 AM
^ this

king dave
Always liked 'the bunker'.
KD.

Parkdale
I'm not really so concerned with naming the stands...

I'm more concerned with planning the parade route for when we win the cup!!!

http://northcentralpositronics.org/forums/Smileys/default/CoolFace.png

Fort York Redcoat
03-01-2011, 09:13 AM
the Danny Dichio stand

Only option for now.

London
03-01-2011, 09:15 AM
KD.

:flare:me too dave:flare:

nfitz
03-01-2011, 09:19 AM
I don't think one "names" a stand. It just happens ...

... and I thought it already had:

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&xhr=t&q=%22bmo+field%22+%22supporters+end%22&cp=28&pf=p&sclient=psy&safe=off&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=%22bmo+field%22+%22supporters+end%22&pbx=1&fp=ece84f26a4d9c3a2

GuelphStorm2007
03-01-2011, 09:51 AM
I will go with the Dichio Stand why not. But like Parkdale say's I am more concerned with the Parade route when and Hopefully win the the cup....

Carts
03-01-2011, 11:05 AM
The Bunker... (but that's just the south east corner)

I'll always call it that, and always have - I cant remember when I actually started calling it that, just always remember referring to that corner that its "The Bunker"...

Oldtimer
03-01-2011, 11:24 AM
How about "the South Stands?"

Gazza
03-01-2011, 11:32 AM
How about "the South Stands?"

genius! always thought that was the official name lol

Yohan
03-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Only option for now.
+1

something to remember the legend by

mastermixer
03-01-2011, 11:37 AM
I like Danny Dichio Stand as well, but how about actually getting MLSE to put a sign up there to signify it? It would definitely add to putting some character into BMO. I know we don't have much history or tradition but it's a start.

Super
03-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Pop a roof on there and you can call it anything you want.

dupont
03-01-2011, 11:56 AM
"Ol' Betsy"

Carts
03-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Pop a roof on there and you can call it anything you want.

Roofy...?

Oh wait, that might not be the best image for us...

Carts... :)

Technorgasm
03-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Bunker. . . forever it will be. .

(wow, talk about off season thread lol)

Wull
03-01-2011, 12:20 PM
the Windcatcher

TorontoGooner
03-01-2011, 12:45 PM
The South Bank

DangerRed
03-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Doesn't the fact that it doesn't have a name five years into the club's existence sort of speak for itself?

Jeffro
03-01-2011, 01:00 PM
These things have to happen organically, also, the Danny Dichio Stand sounds really lame, IMO.

TorontoGooner
03-01-2011, 01:15 PM
These things have to happen organically, also, the Danny Dichio Stand sounds really lame, IMO.

I agree

jabbronies
03-01-2011, 01:21 PM
KD.

Agreed

jabbronies
03-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Roofy...?

Oh wait, that might not be the best image for us...

Carts... :)

Roofy McRooferson

Super
03-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Call it the Carlsberg stand - and then have Carlsberg build us the roof.

TFCRegina
03-01-2011, 01:54 PM
How about the "Barn" because the South Stands are filled with Cash Cows for ML$E to milk...

Vinny Dichio
03-01-2011, 03:06 PM
seeing how everything else in the stadium is branded, why not name it the "Kia south end stand".

Ultra & Proud
03-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Always been 'The South End' for me and plenty others. See no reason to change it.

JonO
03-01-2011, 03:14 PM
^ I agree - nothing wong with Sound End

C.Ronaldo
03-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Danny's Bunker

GhostKiller
03-01-2011, 03:25 PM
The Bitch Bunker (bird reference)

werewolf
03-01-2011, 03:45 PM
The Arsch-Kopf gedachtnis auditorium

U9NcavTxAXc

ACSertL
03-01-2011, 04:12 PM
^ plus one.

ExiledRed
03-01-2011, 04:21 PM
the Spion Kop (in all the clubs that have one, its not just Liverpool) was named after an important battle in the boer war, as a memorial to the fallen english.

The Ridge or the Juno, to honour Canadian valour and fallen soldiers, would be my vote.

Parkdale
03-01-2011, 04:23 PM
'The Ridge' would be kinda cool.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldmpldlfeP1qdoghio1_500.png

Stay off the West Side

jabbronies
03-01-2011, 04:34 PM
If you search "BMO Field" on Google maps you'll see the stadium is actually pointed more in the South East in that end...so maybe we should call it the "South East" stand

flatpicker
03-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Call it the Carlsberg stand - and then have Carlsberg build us the roof.

This is an idea that I was in favour of, going back to year one.
Branding is a good way to get things done.
Build a roof and slap a big Carlsberg logo on it.

The Ridge or the Juno, to honour Canadian valour and fallen soldiers, would be my vote.

This is a good idea as well.
Could even go with The Vimy Stand.

Azerban
03-01-2011, 05:30 PM
the ridge is perfect

cut thread here

---------8<---------

Parkdale
03-01-2011, 05:39 PM
the ridge is perfect

cut thread here

---------8<---------

you owe me one monitor

nfitz
03-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I still think Supporters End works (from an organic perspective).

But if the season goes badly, then perhaps we could call it the Anselmi Memorial End ...

... would make an interesting TIFO ...

nancymiranda
03-01-2011, 06:25 PM

http://northcentralpositronics.org/forums/Smileys/default/CoolFace.png

I say from BMO over to ACC (Show the Leafs how its really done), up Yonge street and party at Dundas Square!!!!! ;-)

BeerBaron95
03-01-2011, 07:16 PM

Jeff, im of the same opinion on the subject/name aswell... that sounds extremely Lame (trying to keep it clean)

Danny's Bunker

Absolutely not!

Alixir
03-01-2011, 07:26 PM
could call them "The Stands with a View of the Gardiner"

Flipityflu
03-01-2011, 07:34 PM
The Ridge

FluSH
03-01-2011, 07:41 PM
It I had to chose a name it would be Dichio's Stand

BeerBaron95
03-01-2011, 07:56 PM
It I had to chose a name it would be Dichio's Stand

WHY ???

prizby
03-01-2011, 08:12 PM
another one of thes threads...can we just bring back the old one's in the futre?

Alixir
03-01-2011, 08:27 PM
WHY ???exactly...the Dichio Stand sounds pretty dumb... in my opinion.

rocker
03-01-2011, 08:28 PM
I want it to be called the Dichio End. then I can enter Dichio's end each week.

ExiledRed
03-01-2011, 08:59 PM
I want it to be called the Dichio End. then I can enter Dichio's end each week.
Arent you on the west side?

flambe
03-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Meaning no disrespect to Danny or any of his ardent supporters, I think naming a stand after him at this point in our limited history is a far too premature.

We should take a step back and not force or manufacture a name, especially a marketed brand one (see Carlsberg). That's a horrible idea along the same lines as Dicks Sporting Goods.

A name will organically grow, if it hasn't already.

romburgundy
03-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Look I was in a stadium when my Egyptian national team qualified for a world cup against Algeria in 1989. * I was there when they won an African cup of nations, I watched my home team "zamalek"play a cup final at home and lost in a penalty shoot out only to be back there in the same year with the league title.*
None of these compare to the day that Danny Dichio popped in the ugliest and sweetest goal I have ever seen in my life. *Let's face it Danny gave us hope when we were ready to give up, that goal and his contribution to the team in 2007 meant everything to this club. *

Having said that we can't sell ourselves short either. *The south end is about one thing and one thing only. *Hard core supporters, *people who live and breathe TFC. *I have always called it the Dichio end and the food building end. *

The Dichio end makes sense to me. *Brought to you in part by Kia motors "the power to surprise"

Huyton
03-01-2011, 10:13 PM
The Ridge? At the Portland game, it's going to be the F'Ridge.

lips
03-01-2011, 10:23 PM
The bunker

http://northcentralpositronics.org/forums/Smileys/default/CoolFace.png :D Can't wait

TOBOR !
03-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Since we're naming sections, how about "The Heights" for the North End ? You know, after the Battle of Queenston Heights ? The first major battle in the War of 1812. It was fought between United States regulars and New York militia forces and British forces and Canadian militia.

TFCREDNWHITE
03-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Get dero to pay for a roof

Milky
03-02-2011, 11:23 AM
It has to be called "The Danny Dichioooooooooooooooooooooo Stand." (Repeated several times) :)

Fort York Redcoat
03-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Since we're naming sections, how about "The Heights" for the North End ? You know, after the Battle of Queenston Heights ? The first major battle in the War of 1812. It was fought between United States regulars and New York militia forces and British forces and Canadian militia.

I'm for it but I also think the Dichio stand will win more people over. Besides, as much as I love history, the obvious question I wouldn't want to answer would be why we didn't name it after the battle of Fort York since it's right down the road?:(

zeelaw
03-02-2011, 12:27 PM
South End is find... Bunker if we have too.

DangerRed
03-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Do The Ridge, The Heights, or any other military names have any relation to the club? To the supporters as a whole? Sounds pretty contrived.

And the Dichio End makes me think "Dichio's Asshole." Guess it might sound odd when you tell people that that's where you sit every Saturday...

Fort York Redcoat
03-02-2011, 12:34 PM
^Dude's got issues. Like he's the first guy to have an end named after him. Military names? You mean like the name of the forum you're on right now?

dow117
03-02-2011, 12:38 PM
The "dichio Deck !! "

DangerRed
03-02-2011, 12:41 PM
^Dude's got issues. Like he's the first guy to have an end named after him. Military names? You mean like the name of the forum you're on right now?

I know about the RPB name - but thanks for the douchitude. You're missing the point. It's one thing to name a supporters' group but another to name entire stand full of people who don't belong to your group.

Just because you're into war re-enactments, doesn't mean everyone around you would be as well.

And you should totally name it Dichio's End. No one ever will laugh at that. Ever. :facepalm:

Fort York Redcoat
03-02-2011, 12:47 PM
^Oh I get it. You don't think the military history relevant. You're not alone.

The Dichio End. Dichio's End. The Dichio Deck. One will be the butt of Beavis and Butthead-like jokes. What do you think of the other two?

DangerRed
03-02-2011, 12:53 PM
The Dichio Deck isn't bad, though it sounds like a sponsored part of a venue. Not to belabour this irrelevant discussion (since the naming is entirely up to BMO, and they seem content with the generic "supporters' sections"), but the South End has always been my favorite. Simplest, most neutral. There is, after all, a supporters' group named after where they sit, and they're called the North End Elite.

Fort York Redcoat
03-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Um I'm pretty sure not many NEE sit in the the new section. And I wouldn't give up on section names so quick. Just because they haven't named the stands yet doesn't mean they never will.

DangerRed
03-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Um I'm pretty sure not many NEE sit in the the new section. And I wouldn't give up on section names so quick. Just because they haven't named the stands yet doesn't mean they never will.

Wow, you're tough to talk to today. Fine. I wasn't saying they sit in the new stands. I sit close to them, so I know exactly where they sit, but let me spell it out, since there seems to be a cloud of thickness hanging around today: they sit at the corner of the north and west sides of the field, and call themselves the North End Elite.

And you're right, they'll definitely name the stands: The Kia Sportage Stand, the Carlsberg Grandstand and the Rogers East Stand, etc.

Alixir
03-02-2011, 01:40 PM
South End is find... Bunker if we have too.agreed.

NewCity
03-02-2011, 01:43 PM
agreed.

^^^
Same thoughts

Pinkie
03-02-2011, 01:45 PM
can we like, you know, chill and not rush to naming something and wait for it to happen?

Fort York Redcoat
03-02-2011, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to hear from the club before they go ahead and name the South end something other than the South end. It would probably involve talking to both groups that stand there though.

v00d00daddy
03-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Perfect...let's follow up a laughable, contrived wall of honour by naming a part of the stadium something laughable and contrived.

History is not created out of discussion on fan forums.

It happens organically...and usually after longer than 3-4-5 years.

We're in such a rush to have history and folklore. Why?

Give me a soccer team I'm interested in watching....that's all I ask. I don't give a shit if where I'm standing has a fancy name that other clubs will use to make fun of us when our team is shit.

Alixir
03-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Perfect...let's follow up a laughable, contrived wall of honour by naming a part of the stadium something laughable and contrived.

Give me a soccer team I'm interested in watching....that's all I ask. I don't give a shit if where I'm standing has a fancy name that other clubs will use to make fun of us when our team is shit.
here here

Razor
03-02-2011, 03:08 PM

+1

really, who gives a shit what the south end is called.

i want to see some competitive football from TFC first and maybe..just maybe...a playoff game at BMO Field.

DangerRed
03-02-2011, 03:32 PM
[quote=Razor;1234825]+1

quote]

Fort York Redcoat does. And wants it to be related to some military battle that has nothing whatsoever to do with the club, its history, future, or supporters.

Or, you know, there's always Dichio's End. :michael:

ExiledRed
03-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Do The Ridge, The Heights, or any other military names have any relation to the club? To the supporters as a whole? Sounds pretty contrived.

I was just making a suggestion based on how several supporters ends in several countries are named to honour their countries fallen.

The Kop end was named after a battle, nobody suggests that is contrived.
The kop was also named by the owner of Anfield, it didnt just 'happen' like people are suggesting.

'let the name just happen' - how does it just 'happen'?

I didnt suggest The Ridge as a means of invoking the RPB, thats the last thing I wanted to do, however Vimy Ridge is a pretty definitive battle in Canadian Military History, and one all canadians should be proud of.

The south end emulates the geographic features of a 'ridge' which gives a double meaning to the name.

The Ridge is also more subtle than 'the Vimy Ridge End'

ExiledRed
03-02-2011, 04:32 PM
+1

i want to see some competitive football from TFC first and maybe..just maybe...a playoff game at BMO Field.

Your vote is 'who gives a shit'

good, you've abstained. done.

ExiledRed
03-02-2011, 04:35 PM

another abstained vote.....thanks for the input

DangerRed
03-02-2011, 05:09 PM
I was just making a suggestion based on how several supporters ends in several countries are named to honour their countries fallen.

The Kop end was named after a battle, nobody suggests that is contrived.
The kop was also named by the owner of Anfield, it didnt just 'happen' like people are suggesting.

'let the name just happen' - how does it just 'happen'?

I didnt suggest The Ridge as a means of invoking the RPB, thats the last thing I wanted to do, however Vimy Ridge is a pretty definitive battle in Canadian Military History, and one all canadians should be proud of.

The south end emulates the geographic features of a 'ridge' which gives a double meaning to the name.

The Ridge is also more subtle than 'the Vimy Ridge End'

But why does it have to be related to warfare? What does Major League Soccer, and more specifically BMO Field, or TFC, have to do with honouring our war heroes? That's what's contrived to me.

The supporter ends around the world named after wars or battles were named that way by people who fought in them, or their close relatives. How many members of this board fought in either World War? The Boer War? Vietnam? Iraq? Even Afghanistan? The sign of the Kandahar supporters is great and they deserve representation if they so choose, but to name an entire stand after some battle is preposterous.

Also, there are many more kops than just the one at Anfield. Kop, in fact, is a generalized term for grandstands (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spion_Kop_(stadia)

v00d00daddy
03-02-2011, 05:27 PM
another abstained vote.....thanks for the input

so you're informal little thread with the involvement of less than 1% of the people who support this team, along with 0% of the people that run this team is supposed to be a vote to getting the south end named?

Sorry to inform you but you've abstained too. As in, your opinion thread here will amount to exactly nothing.

And it's sad that this is even still a topic of discussion now that the Cann news has broken.

Sorry....WAS a topic of discussion.

See you in a few weeks in the Dichio Ridge Heights Bunkerific South End. :)

Whoop
03-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Unfulfilled Contract End.

v00d00daddy
03-02-2011, 05:39 PM

Beauty. I've totally changed my stance on the whole south end naming.

Let's name it for how we feel this team has been run and how the players have behaved.

How about the:

"Oh No, Not Again" End

Whoop
03-02-2011, 05:41 PM
LOL

Hey it's organic.

menefreghista
03-02-2011, 05:41 PM
LOL.

I nominate 'Supply and Demand' End

ExiledRed
03-02-2011, 05:45 PM
so you're informal little thread with the involvement of less than 1% of the people who support this team, along with 0% of the people that run this team is supposed to be a vote to getting the south end named?

Sorry to inform you but you've abstained too. As in, your opinion thread here will amount to exactly nothing.

And it's sad that this is even still a topic of discussion now that the Cann news has broken.

Sorry....WAS a topic of discussion.

See you in a few weeks in the Dichio Ridge Heights Bunkerific South End. :)

Not my thread, Im just contributing to it, while you're on some kind of mission to derail it because you dont like the suggestions.

welcome to my ignore list, you're too annoying for further discussion.

ExiledRed
03-02-2011, 05:52 PM
But why does it have to be related to warfare? What does Major League Soccer, and more specifically BMO Field, or TFC, have to do with honouring our war heroes? That's what's contrived to me.

Many of those who died at Vimy Ridge where from Toronto. Football teams usually have strong links to their location.

How many members of this board fought in either World War?

Im sure hundreds of supporters with tix in the south end have relatives and ancestors who fought in both wars.

Even Afghanistan?

lots

Also, there are many more kops than just the one at Anfield. Kop, in fact, is a generalized term for grandstands

maybe you should read my first post in this thread. You cant educate me about Liverpool, sorry, it may have become generalised to some, but the origin of its name is indisputable as the battle of Spion Kop.

DangerRed
03-02-2011, 05:54 PM
There's just no arguing with you or Fort York Redcoat. We should also have a half-time re-enactment of the U.S. Civil War, or maybe the French v English at Quebec. Just as relevant.

Peace.

ExiledRed
03-02-2011, 06:55 PM
There's just no arguing with you or Fort York Redcoat. We should also have a half-time re-enactment of the U.S. Civil War, or maybe the French v English at Quebec. Just as relevant.

Peace.

Are you serious?

Calling the south end 'the Ridge' as a subtle nod to the one battle in Canadian history which has become a symbol for Canadian resolve and achievement in the face of overwhelming adversity, has a million times more relevance than the US Civil war.

Its also not a veiled slap at the french speaking canadians.

Listen, I was against the yellow streamers, and Im against representing any highly divisive conflict such as Afghanistan or even Korea, so stop making ridiculous associations with other conflicts and acting like Vimy Ridge has no relevance to you as a Canadian.

ochos
03-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Are you serious?

Calling the south end 'the Ridge' as a subtle nod to the one battle in Canadian history which has become a symbol for Canadian resolve and achievement in the face of overwhelming adversity, has a million times more relevance than the US Civil war.

Its also not a veiled slap at the french speaking canadians.

Listen, I was against the yellow streamers, and Im against representing any highly divisive conflict such as Afghanistan or even Korea, so stop making ridiculous associations with other conflicts and acting like Vimy Ridge has no relevance to you as a Canadian.

+1

I'm hardly one for the military propogandistic type stuff you see at MLB/Nascar/Maple Leaf's games, etc.., but if there's one name that's been mentioned I actually thought stood out as good, it was Vimy Ridge.

South End, nicknamed Vimy Ridge, the corner being the Bunker

Cashcleaner
03-02-2011, 09:04 PM
I would say we are far too young a club to start digging back in our history to name a stand. And let's face it, if we are going to go by tradition and whatnot, we have to acknowledge that the place in question has been almost exclusively called the "South End" for 4 years now. If we truly wanted the stands to be named in an organic manner, we'd just stick with what we've been calling it since 2007.

ExiledRed
03-02-2011, 10:03 PM
I would say we are far too young a club to start digging back in our history to name a stand. And let's face it, if we are going to go by tradition and whatnot, we have to acknowledge that the place in question has been almost exclusively called the "South End" for 4 years now. If we truly wanted the stands to be named in an organic manner, we'd just stick with what we've been calling it since 2007.

Its the 'southend' whatever you call it, its not really a name, although we have been referring to it loosely as 'the lakeshore end' for as long.

I dont buy the 'too young to give the stand a name' point, names are usually given when things are created, and thats how the name becomes historical, not the other way around.

Im not sure why people are getting upset about a hypothetical thread that reads something like:

'if we gave a name to the southend, what would it be?'

I feel some users are using it as a platform to express their contempt for other supporters in general, the self loathing round here is starting to get old, no?

Pigfynn
03-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Its the 'southend' whatever you call it, its not really a name, although we have been referring to it loosely as 'the lakeshore end' for as long.

I dont buy the 'too young to give the stand a name' point, names are usually given when things are created, and thats how the name becomes historical, not the other way around.

Im not sure why people are getting upset about a hypothetical thread that reads something like:

I feel some users are using it as a platform to express their contempt for other supporters in general, the self loathing round here is starting to get old, no?

YES.

TorontoGooner
03-02-2011, 10:47 PM

Your end point is bang on.

Fort York Redcoat
03-03-2011, 09:03 AM
[quote=Razor;1234825]+1

quote]

Fort York Redcoat does. And wants it to be related to some military battle that has nothing whatsoever to do with the club, its history, future, or supporters.

Or, you know, there's always Dichio's End. :michael:
Of course I care what the stands are called if I stand in them. As much as other aspects of the team? No, but this is the place to discuss it.

Cashcleaner
03-03-2011, 08:12 PM

Wait, you got all that from my post?

I don't think people care as deeply about this issue as much as you may think. I know I'm not all that bothered one way or another.

ExiledRed
03-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Wait, you got all that from my post?

I don't think people care as deeply about this issue as much as you may think. I know I'm not all that bothered one way or another.

no, only the first bit relates to your post. My end point was a comment in general.

TFCRegina
03-03-2011, 08:29 PM

Simple, some MLSE employee takes a look on here, comes up with some cheap ass stupid marketing trick and changes the same to something lame...like Dichio's Stand. No offense to Dichio, but it's a lame fucking name for the southend.

TFCRegina
03-03-2011, 08:30 PM

Yesterday I was going to put forward "Cann's Corner" but felt it would be considered "trolling."

Cashcleaner
03-03-2011, 09:24 PM
no, only the first bit relates to your post. My end point was a comment in general.

Gotcha. For the record, I'm down with "Lakeshore End" if anyone is keeping track of names.

ExiledRed
03-04-2011, 12:19 AM
Simple, some MLSE employee takes a look on here, comes up with some cheap ass stupid marketing trick and changes the same to something lame...like Dichio's Stand. No offense to Dichio, but it's a lame fucking name for the southend.

I dont buy it, users have been espousing that 'names arent decided on internet message forums' and that the discussion represents .1% of interested parties, and that the thread was futile cause it just amounted to wind while the roster remains undeveloped, etc..

Its a harmless discussion, and if a good name as something to build on for the 'history' of future generations were to come out of it, what's wrong with that?

TOBOR !
03-04-2011, 08:13 AM
I wonder if the distaste for the battle-referenced naming is born from lack of association ? Perhaps if your ancestry is not that of a country that fought in either World War then you're less inclined to be affected by the landmark events of your current nation. Maybe it has to do with an absense of feeling of connection to Canadian history.

Note to FYR - good point about the Battle of York - it makes a lot more sense but I was more looking for hills, mounds, rises (ridges and heights) - the kinds of things that would represent stands quite well.

And for what it's worth it should be noted that there can be an 'official' section name as well as a colloquial name. MLSE will decide on the former, but we can determine the latter - or at least a version of it.

Anyway, whatevs - there's too much badminding going on around here, which is tiresome to say the least.