PDA

View Full Version : Developing the Best Solution for Youth Development in US & Canada

Shway
02-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Canadian Soccer News today posted an article about "The state of Canadian player development: MLS academies lead way, but is it the right approach?", basically talking about the difference between the US roster and the Canadian roster of how the CNT is an influx of Professional Club academy teams, while US has a mere number of 5 to the norm development academy clubs.

I found this interesting because this goes along with this article,

Establishing A Professional Level Youth Soccer League

There was a recent article indicating, how in the near future MLS academies could possible break away from the US Development Academy League, to form their own breakaway league. One of the main reasons, is that it has been evidently stated that there is a significant gap in competition between MLS academies, and some non-MLS academies. One journalist cited it as it being a “David and Goliath” type situation, based on the fact that some of the MLS academies annual budgets start at around $200,000, and rise to $1m, with providing there youth players a tangible opportunity to play for the clubs professional first team, and if they don't succeed they still have the credentials of playing in MLS academy, giving them the opportunity to even gain a college scholarship (and thats the bare minimum). Where as the non-mls academies have barely a quarter of that budget, players have a more difficult route to play professional football in America, leaving the more norm route of going to college, and hopes of getting drafted.
Now thats not to say that non-MLSA’s don’t produce any professionals, but as MLSA’s develop more talent, more home grown players- youth players will be looking to play in these kind of luxurious setups, rather than playing in non-MLSA’s.

The Role of the USSF.

Just a few months ago, the USSF released information regarding the general requirements for all Professional leagues, and in my readings I believe that these are necessary steps towards development of the game in USA.
However, one of the major things that was missing to change the whole demographic of the future of football in North America is that, every professional team (that consists of teams in the Major League Soccer, North American Soccer League, and United Soccer League Professional Division) should be required to have some type of youth setup. ( I don’t mean clinics)

A Demographic Outlook on Teams in USA and Canada as of 2012.

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq158/jgushway/usacademo.jpg

Thats a total of 38 Clubs! (*not including the infamous New York Cosmos)

*Notable PDL teams that have legitiment youth setups can also be assessed to join.
(To note a few PDL clubs who have produced quality players: Ottawa Fury, Forest City London, Des Moines Menace, Thunder Bay Chill, Westchester Flames, Western Mass Pioneers, Real Maryland Monarchs, Vancouver Highlanders, Washington Cross Fire, Ventura County Fusion)

The effect of this set up would allow for clubs to create a sense of sustainability, and continuity in the aspect of developing youth players the aspiration of playing for the first teams of their respective clubs. Some might say, the talent pool is not big enough, however I say the best youth talent is not limited in this massive country.

Questions have arose about bigger clubs poaching players from the minnow clubs, without any type of compensation. Lorne Donaldson, General Manager of Real Colorado suggests that “if a major league club wants a young player from an amateur team, like they do in Europe, the club should be rewarded for spending time in developing that player. It might not be a big sum of money, but there should be something given back to the club.” The compensation could come in the form of a scholarship, or even an “agreed upon” donation. According to Lorne Donaldson “you can make any kind of donation to non-profits by the way of scholarships. Most of us non-profits have scholarships that fund kids, especially talented players, so you could give that to a club from a profit to a non-profit through a scholarship fund. How it would be used would be up to the club. It’s legal to do that and there’s nothing wrong with that.”

This set up would create a massive financial stability from the top of the pyramid to the bottom. Major League Clubs are sustaining lower league clubs by the way of compensating these clubs, and lower league clubs can continue to focus on developing youth players by placing them in professional environments.

Pookie
02-25-2011, 03:23 PM
...and if they don't succeed they still have the credentials of playing in MLS academy, giving them the opportunity to even gain a college scholarship (and thats the bare minimum). Where as the non-mls academies have barely a quarter of that budget, players have a more difficult route to play professional football in America, leaving the more norm route of going to college, and hopes of getting drafted.

Sort of a contradiction in saying that gaining a college scholarship is a benefit of the MLS Academy system but a "drawback" of the non-MLS Academy route, isn't it?

Shway
02-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Sort of a contradiction in saying that gaining a college scholarship is a benefit of the MLS Academy system but a "drawback" of the non-MLS Academy route, isn't it?

non mls academy teams arent developed under professional system that translates to the first team, because there is none. So they they go to college and get drafted to a team, and to learn the system its almost brand new to them, where as an academy player who has been at the club for 2+yrs goes to college, and can be (protected) signed while knowing of what is expected at the club.

the benefits of a club developing a player in their MLS academy, and then sending them off to college is that they still attain the players rights, (Josue Soto, Houston Dynamo became the first academy player to finish 4yrs of university then sign a home grown contract)

MLS teams are looking to academy teams for players, because they have been developed under there system rather than looking to the draft for the next best thing. The super draft will become the 2nd tier for MLS teams to look for young players.

Pookie
02-25-2011, 03:51 PM
^ I can see where the benefit is to the MLS club. Definitely, having control over potential assets including their movement and development is a good thing for a club.

As a parent, I would have issues with fast tracking a player to a league in which they could earn a minimum of $42k and sacrificing their education in the process. Even MLS' well paid, successful players earn just a $100k per year. This isn't a life changing sum.

This isn't the NHL where a player on an entry level contract earns a minimum $450k.

I see the reference to the one player having made it to the MLS after earning a degree going this route.

Further, my player would be learning a system that might only apply to his MLS club. If the club loves to play long ball, is that all he will learn? That might stunt his development. Even further, his opportunities (ie his rights) would be influenced by the depth chart in front of him. I'm not sure that if I'm a player/parent that I like the idea that I'm limiting my options as far as rights go when I'm still in my teens.

I would suggest that this plan needs to look at this from a "customer" perspective as well.

Whoop
02-25-2011, 03:56 PM
I agree with what your saying.

But you have a lifetime to earn a degree, so to speak, but you only have a short window of time to be a professional athlete.

pekduck
02-25-2011, 03:57 PM

But you have a lifetime to earn a degree, so to speak, but you only have a short window of time to be a professional athlete.

this is the key

Pookie
02-25-2011, 04:31 PM

I agree.

That said, practically speaking the window is short for a lot of guys. The average career length of:

- MLB players is 2.7 years
- NHL players is 5 years
- NFL players is 4 years
- NBA players is 4.5 years

Of course, a player can continue on in the minors but their time in the "pros" is generally limited.

So, go with me on a walk. You've played your xyz years in the MLS. You are now 28. You have a choice to continue on in the lower divisions. That trophy wife you met hanging around the pitch now keeps dropping hints of marriage.

You've made some money but this is the MLS so you are not set for life. You're barely set for the next year.

If you are married, possibility with kids on the horizon, and not a lot of cash in the bank are you apt to now go on and pick up a 4 year degree (and pay the tuition and fees to go along with it)? 4 years is the time frame if you go with the residency program. Longer if you do it via correspondance.

?

Whoop
02-25-2011, 04:56 PM
You have an education plan in place before deciding to drop your educational pursuits.

The other option is - and I know NHLers who have done it - to continue working on your degree during the off season.