PDA

View Full Version : Riquelme on the outs at Boca

Roogsy
02-25-2011, 12:40 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/soccer/02/24/riquelme.boca.juniors.ap/index.html

DP HIM UP!

Azerban
02-25-2011, 07:22 AM
no thanks

boban
02-25-2011, 07:27 AM
DP HIM UP!
How do you know he even goes that way, much less DP. ;)

ensco
02-25-2011, 07:46 AM
There have to be at least 5 La Liga teams that would still take him in a flash, warts and all.

Nuvinho
02-25-2011, 08:53 AM
What about Jan Veelgor of Hesselink (sp?) as our target striker? Dutch, knows the system, big, not very fast tho.

Detroit_TFC
02-25-2011, 09:10 AM
What about Jan Veelgor of Hesselink (sp?) as our target striker? Dutch, knows the system, big, not very fast tho.

I vote yes. This is not that farfetched. He's 32, now playing for Rapid Wien.

[NBF]
02-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Jan Venegoor of Hasselink, he was with Celtic and then Hull or Wolves?

I never been a huge fan of his because I never watched any Celtic games, but I do recall him having a good scoring rate with them. I think he would be very similar to Juan Pablo Angel in his best seasons with the NYRB.

[NBF]
02-25-2011, 10:47 AM
I would rather have Fernandao than Riquelme.

torontocelt
02-25-2011, 12:49 PM
I cannot really see us ever signing a player of Riquelme's class although I would definitely endorse his signature.

Vennegoor was great at Celtic but he is increasingly immobile and his time in the premiership wasn't exactly great. He does pop up with goals though especially in weaker leagues. If he were on a free then he would be worth a look but not as a DP.

flatpicker
02-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Riquelme for a Dream?

That movie freaked me out!

Macksam
02-26-2011, 06:58 PM
no thanks
You don't want one of the best players of all time?

BeerBaron95
02-26-2011, 07:08 PM
^^ prefers Mista prolly.. lmao

ArmenJBX
02-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I'd take Riquelme in a heartbeat

Whoop
02-26-2011, 07:29 PM
You don't want one of the best players of all time?

He was very good, but one of the best players of all time? Come on.

Laurignano
02-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Riquelme in my opinion would be exactly what this team needs. Excellent on corners, direct free kicks, and set pieces, great vision and creativity, and he can score. Only thing is, I doubt hes going to want to come to Toronto unless we offer such a lucrative contract..

sashavukelich
02-26-2011, 11:03 PM
i'd take him in a second, clearly a DP, such great pedigree. Does anyone know what pushed him out?

Sally Mack
02-27-2011, 03:03 AM
^^ prefers Mista prolly.. lmao riquelme's just about in the same shape as mista.

Pachuco
02-27-2011, 11:25 AM
I haven't seen Riquelme play in a while. Certainly wouldn't just take him because he's one of the best players of all time (if you believe that). If that was Winter's way of putting together a team he should try and sign Maradona and Pele as well. Anyways, interesting to see what kind of shape he's in. His style of play would definately suit the team though.

Yohan
02-27-2011, 01:23 PM
I haven't seen Riquelme play in a while. Certainly wouldn't just take him because he's one of the best players of all time (if you believe that). If that was Winter's way of putting together a team he should try and sign Maradona and Pele as well. Anyways, interesting to see what kind of shape he's in. His style of play would definately suit the team though.
It really depends on how much football Riquelme still wants to play. For all we know, he could be another Shitlicker, being able to play in MLS until his late 30s

For all the hate I give him for his diving twatty ways, Shitlicker really did give it all for Columbus and MLS. And Riquelme has even more skill then Shitlicker

Macksam
02-27-2011, 02:22 PM
He was very good, but one of the best players of all time? Come on.
I can understand your skepticism to that remark. I mean, he's not overly famous and he never played for one of the big clubs in Europe, but this guy was and still is a beast when he's at his best. In Argentina, they consider him one of the best players ever to come out of the country.

When it comes to Riquelme, one key thing always sticks out to me. A player like Scholes, Lampard, Messi, Pirlo, Fabregas, Essien, Ballack or whoever else you can mention play at the pace set by the other 21 guys on the field. With Riquelme, he makes the other 21 guys play at the pace he wants. That's why I, and many others, consider him one of the best players of all time.

BeerBaron95
02-27-2011, 04:39 PM
It really depends on how much football Riquelme still wants to play. For all we know, he could be another Shitlicker, being able to play in MLS until his late 30s

For all the hate I give him for his diving twatty ways, Shitlicker really did give it all for Columbus and MLS. And Riquelme has even more skill then Shitlicker

Always makes me laugh when Schelotto gets shit on for being a dominant and proven goal scorer.

Him and others get put into this list that always get shit on yet have dominated the league and TFC.
:picard:

Yohan
02-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Always makes me laugh when Schelotto gets shit on for being a dominant and proven goal scorer.

Him and others get put into this list that always get shit on yet have dominated the league and TFC.
nah. Shitlicker gets shit on for being a diving twat. I think most people do respect his pedigree and skill as a football player

torontocelt
02-27-2011, 04:59 PM
I can understand your skepticism to that remark. I mean, he's not overly famous and he never played for one of the big clubs in Europe

Don't want to be too picky but he did play for Barca.

Stryker
02-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Ohhh yeaaah daddy like.

Yohan
02-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Ohhh yeaaah daddy like.
and he can hold up the ball... like better, dutch version of dichio. though he's not very mobile so i don't know just how well he'd fit in the total football thing

BeerBaron95
02-27-2011, 07:05 PM
nah. Shitlicker gets shit on for being a diving twat. I think most people do respect his pedigree and skill as a football player

Lots of divers man. we all know that ;)

Section 110
02-28-2011, 08:48 AM
I can understand your skepticism to that remark. I mean, he's not overly famous and he never played for one of the big clubs in Europe, but this guy was and still is a beast when he's at his best. In Argentina, they consider him one of the best players ever to come out of the country.

When it comes to Riquelme, one key thing always sticks out to me. A player like Scholes, Lampard, Messi, Pirlo, Fabregas, Essien, Ballack or whoever else you can mention play at the pace set by the other 21 guys on the field. With Riquelme, he makes the other 21 guys play at the pace he wants. That's why I, and many others, consider him one of the best players of all time.

Nicely said. He has always been one of my favourites. He doesn't have great pace, but like Zidane, the game slowed down for him and players always gave him space. I miss watching him with the Yellow Submarine. I'd be real happy to watch him in red. He'd open up the field for guys like De Ro and Santos.

Roogsy
02-28-2011, 10:03 AM

Exactly.

Although I do agree with Yohan that GBS has been a diving twat which is difficult to endure. But there is no doubt about the quality of players from leagues in countries like Argentina.