PDA

View Full Version : CCL: Columbus Crew - Real Salt Lake

JamboAl
02-22-2011, 09:21 AM
I was checking the fixture list for today and at the bottom of it, read:

CONCACAF - Champions League

Columbus Crew? - ?Real Salt Lake

Imagine playing footy at BMO on Feb 22nd, Columbus or Salt Lake can't be much warmer than Toronto.

Carts
02-22-2011, 09:34 AM
I was checking the fixture list for today and at the bottom of it, read:

CONCACAF - Champions League

Columbus Crew? - ?Real Salt Lake

Imagine playing footy at BMO on Feb 22nd, Columbus or Salt Lake can't be much warmer than Toronto.

I think a deep freeze, winter game at BMO would be AMAZING...

backbeat
02-22-2011, 09:39 AM
i'm sure it would be played at the Skydome or whatever they're calling it today, if the weather was bitterly cold.

mastermixer
02-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Game time temp is going to be -3 celcius with a chance of flurries. Sounds balmy to me.

rocker
02-22-2011, 10:28 AM
any links gonna be up for this? or did the US government eliminate all those sites?

Petor
02-22-2011, 11:41 AM
any links gonna be up for this? or did the US government eliminate all those sites?

Concacaf streams for free, you just have to register.
Link here...
http://www.concacaftv.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home/0,,12907,00.html

DichioTFC
02-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Crew fans have told me they would be very surprised if their team won anything this year - so take it for what it's worth.

TorCanSoc
02-22-2011, 12:27 PM

atdhe.net got shut down, then started up, then shut down... then moved to this. http://www.atdhenet.tv/ The CC-RSL game is there, 8pm. Should be good, no?

tfcleeds
02-22-2011, 12:37 PM
I think a deep freeze, winter game at BMO would be AMAZING...

We'd pull in more fans for this match than KKKrew could during the height of summer, easily.l

Ageroo
02-22-2011, 01:58 PM
That crack grounds crew working hard to clear the pitch at Crew Stadium for this one... :rolleyes:

http://www.thecrew.com/news/2011/02/clearing-pitch

6q3v61YFTG

Canada72
02-22-2011, 08:00 PM
I guess this will be the match thread, is anyone watching?

rocker
02-22-2011, 08:01 PM
i'm watching...

found the link on the concacaf web site

Canada72
02-22-2011, 08:01 PM
teams not even on the pitch yet, could it be called off?

Canada72
02-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Its on

rocker
02-22-2011, 08:02 PM
no here they come

tfcleeds
02-22-2011, 08:08 PM
jeesh, lots of new faces in the KKKrew lineup.

Canada72
02-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Crew
Burse, Balchan, Iro, Miranda, Ekpo, Grossman, Gardner, Gaven, Rogers, Mendoza, Renteria

RSL
Rimando, Beltran, Olave, Borchers, Wingert, Grabavoy, Morales, Beckerman, Johnson, Espindola, Saborio

Canada72
02-22-2011, 08:15 PM
some snoods out there, who can blame them?

lazlo_80
02-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Forgot the crew don't have a sponsor right now. For a sec I thought they were playing in practice jerseys.

Auzzy
02-22-2011, 08:22 PM
The surface doesn't seem as bad as I expected. I haven't seen much slipping & sliding, considering that they just cleared a bunch of snow off the field, and obviously don't have any subsurface heating. Must be rock-hard though.

Razcle
02-22-2011, 08:31 PM
can anyone post a link? not the concacaf site please

werewolf
02-22-2011, 08:32 PM
http://atdhenet.tv/34483/watch-columbus-crew-vs-real-salt-lake

Have to suffer through the american commentary though.

Canada72
02-22-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm on the concacaf site but this may work
http://atdhenet.tv/

Alonso
02-22-2011, 09:18 PM
I just tuned in, any score yet? It's not being displayed...

smeghead
02-22-2011, 09:24 PM
nil nil i think. real salt lake down to ten men.

smeghead
02-22-2011, 09:37 PM
its a card fest. i think the guys just want to get inside where its warm :P

KRO
02-22-2011, 09:38 PM
The commentators don't have a clue what's going on.

Technorgasm
02-22-2011, 09:40 PM
hasto be said that the crew look he better side.
much better using the wide areas and some very confident passes from the back. .

I am taking notes

ps - do your self a favour and turn off the sound

daner90
02-22-2011, 09:45 PM
You would think the field is heated by the way players are going down in this game...

Redpunkfiddle
Another classic Cunningham whiff on the goal line.

smeghead
lol another famous cunningham miss :0

rocktml
02-22-2011, 09:48 PM
You can tell where Cunningham is on the field from a far, runs like a shoemaker...

daner90
02-22-2011, 09:57 PM
boy am I happy i didnt watch all of that game lol

smeghead
02-22-2011, 09:59 PM
lol ditto. preseason footbal dont look pretty specially in winter.

Smokecell
02-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Attendance: 4665

About the same as a mid summer game for them :smilewinkgrin:

Red CB Toronto
02-23-2011, 01:05 AM

It does seem quite low, I assume it is pretty close to being a real number, I know it was a big game, but this is a pretty new Crew team that no one seems to know what it will be considering the departure of quite a few veteran players.

Also as you can see that is was quite cold so getting a good number of casuals out was going to be a chore. Also if you remember the number of people who attended the Arabe Unido game at BMO was quite low, only a few a matter of fact. Smallest crowd to witness TFC at home for sure.

nfitz
02-23-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm surprised it was that high given what you could see in the stands. And given how cold it was ...

Brooker
02-23-2011, 08:51 AM
you spelled it wrong.... KKKolumbus.

Keystone FC
02-23-2011, 10:36 AM

That's a pretty good turn out considering:
1) It was a weekday game
2) It was a school night
3) OSU bball was playing Illinois in CBus
4) It was at night
5) The temp was in the 20's F
6) and I think Rascal Flatts was playing in CBus as well

So with all of those factors included I think it was a real good turnout.
Of course I could just hear the Crew ownership thinking, 'We NEED to move to Vegas.' ;)

Chevy
02-23-2011, 11:05 AM
^^ Keystone, does the Crew post a list of "Reasons Why Our Attendance Sucked" after each game?

Super
02-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Also consider the fact that few Americans have showed much interest in the CCL. We've been all over it, and so have Montreal, but for some reason American teams can't pull attendance for these games.

Keystone FC
02-23-2011, 11:33 AM
^^ Keystone, does the Crew post a list of "Reasons Why Our Attendance Sucked" after each game?
Oh Hell no. The announcers say it during the match.

This looks like a good crowd considering the tracktor pull is in town.

You really have to give it to the fans that show up despite it being so so cold.

Some empty seats here and there in Crew Stadium but when Buckeye football is in town you'd be lucky to get 5 or 6 KKK members at a cross burning on the lawn of a Somali couples house.

You know...stuff like that.

Keystone FC
02-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Also consider the fact that few Americans have showed much interest in the CCL. We've been all over it, and so have Montreal, but for some reason American teams can't pull attendance for these games.
I think it really comes back to the fact that US media is so inclinded to show European football rather than say Mexican or even South American soccer. So unless you have Telemudo or have family from the lower parts of North America or in Central America then you're not going to have much interest in a match againt Joe Public FC or San Juan Police SC.

It took awhile for the UEFA Champions League to catch on but they have the star power, the club power, and just all around interest in their league.

Plus, I really think CONCACAF and MLS have done a POOR job of promotion of the CCL. I do think that once a MLS club either reaches the final or even wins the thing then there will be more interest but until then it just seems like a disturbance to the regular season schedule and a preseason tune up for the MLS sides.

drexel10
02-23-2011, 11:57 AM
I think it really comes back to the fact that US media is so inclinded to show European football rather than say Mexican or even South American soccer. So unless you have Telemudo or have family from the lower parts of North America or in Central America then you're not going to have much interest in a match againt Joe Public FC or San Juan Police SC.

It took awhile for the UEFA Champions League to catch on but they have the star power, the club power, and just all around interest in their league.

Plus, I really think CONCACAF and MLS have done a POOR job of promotion of the CCL. I do think that once a MLS club either reaches the final or even wins the thing then there will be more interest but until then it just seems like a disturbance to the regular season schedule and a preseason tune up for the MLS sides.

It will take an MLS club winning it and perhaps playing a ManU or Barceleona in the World Club championship. If RSL wins it and represents MLS, people and media will pay attention.

ag futbol
02-23-2011, 12:26 PM
I still think that it's hard for MLS fans to care about CCL or some of the other non league games when:

1) MLS rosters are paper thin and that doesn't exactly encourage teams to give it there all.
2) The reffing standards are terrible
3) A lot of times it has highlighted a not very flattering standard of play by MLS teams. USL has arguably been better.

Fort York Redcoat
02-23-2011, 12:44 PM
^That and it's a task to get NA fans out of the insular thinking that their league is all that matters.

Keystone FC
02-24-2011, 12:02 AM
It will take an MLS club winning it and perhaps hosting a ManU or Barceleona in the World Club championship. If RSL wins it and represents MLS, people and media will pay attention.
I really think it will take hosting the WCC for anyone to pay attention. I know the WCC was held in Tokyo for a loooong time and it was just seen more as an exhibition than a championship for the clubs of the world.

Keystone FC
02-24-2011, 12:12 AM
^That and it's a task to get NA fans out of the insular thinking that their league is all that matters.
Which is really tough considering the pro leagues Canada and the US play in don't play anyone else in real competition. Major League Baseball clubs don't play other clubs outside of MLB unless it's an exhibition. National Basketball Association clubs don't play clubs outside of the NBA unless it's an exhibition. National Football League and CFL...I could go on.
MLS is ground breaking, sort of, in the terms that its' clubs not only go up against each other but take on other clubs from different countries in an actual tournament. This boggles the mind of the average sports fan in NA.

TFCDP
02-24-2011, 01:00 AM
^ I have a couple of friends who aren't soccer fans at all and they can't comprehend the whole playing out of your league thing... they just don't get it... tbh, I have a hard time expressing why I like it so much and the importance of it.

Brooker
02-24-2011, 01:21 AM
Oh Hell no. The announcers say it during the match.

This looks like a good crowd considering the tracktor pull is in town.

roflmao

drexel10
02-24-2011, 08:57 AM
I really think it will take hosting the WCC for anyone to pay attention. I know the WCC was held in Tokyo for a loooong time and it was just seen more as an exhibition than a championship for the clubs of the world.

I would agree for some markets. But if TFC or Seattle or a handful of others were playing ManU in this current championship; I think the MLS and the CCL would get more exposure in one week than it has in 5 years.

Fort York Redcoat
02-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Which is really tough considering the pro leagues Canada and the US play in don't play anyone else in real competition. Major League Baseball clubs don't play other clubs outside of MLB unless it's an exhibition. National Basketball Association clubs don't play clubs outside of the NBA unless it's an exhibition. National Football League and CFL...I could go on.
MLS is ground breaking, sort of, in the terms that its' clubs not only go up against each other but take on other clubs from different countries in an actual tournament. This boggles the mind of the average sports fan in NA.

^ I have a couple of friends who aren't soccer fans at all and they can't comprehend the whole playing out of your league thing... they just don't get it... tbh, I have a hard time expressing why I like it so much and the importance of it.

Absolutely guys. It's not that I don't understand the challenge in breaking the insular NA sports mold. It's amazing though the influence the worlds game has had though. NFL's failure in Europe. NHL tossing around a European expansion (ridiculously egotistical). Basketball seems to be expanding well in parts of Europe and Baseball's World Championship is finally a contest where the world is actually involved.

WCC needs more attention given from footie fans in this region. It's a much needed litmus test for our young league.

LittleOzzy
03-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Anyone have an English stream?

rocker
03-01-2011, 10:32 PM
RSl lookin good and leading 1-0

rocker
03-01-2011, 10:42 PM
2-0 RSL.. shredding the crew

Alonso
03-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Concacaf streams for free, you just have to register.
Link here...
http://www.concacaftv.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home/0,,12907,00.html

Anyone have an English stream?

Its on the first page of the thread.

kodiakTFC
03-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Cruz Azul 5-1 on aggregate. Cruz Azul dominates Concacaf, it is pretty damn impressive.

kodiakTFC
03-01-2011, 11:05 PM
RSL's attendance is pretty good for this game, glad to see they'll be most likely getting through.

David_Oliveira
03-01-2011, 11:14 PM
2-1 RSL Columbus just pulled one back

TFCRegina
03-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Cruz Azul 5-1 on aggregate. Cruz Azul dominates Concacaf, it is pretty damn impressive.

Except us! ;) :scarf:

DinamoTFC
03-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Rsl is playing some nice and attractive football. Miles ahead of anything TFC has ever produced. Surprising how nicely they are passing the ball and linking up every player.

kodiakTFC
03-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Rsl is playing some nice and attractive football. Miles ahead of anything TFC has shown.

I was just going to say this. How is RSL in the same league as TFC?!

DinamoTFC
03-01-2011, 11:41 PM
I was just going to say this. How is RSL in the same league as TFC?!

No idea, I am very impressed though. Top quality stuff!!

DinamoTFC
03-02-2011, 12:01 AM
4-1 RSL. The score definitely reflects how rsl played.

TFCRegina
03-02-2011, 12:10 AM
4-1 RSL. The score definitely reflects how rsl played.

Excellent news for Willie J. Another match down in Central America will definitely be good experience in advance of WCQ.

kodiakTFC
03-02-2011, 12:24 AM
I don't know about you guys but I'll definitely be cheering on RSL for the remainder of this tournament. It could only be a good thing for a MLS team to win CONCACAF and play in the World Club Cup again. Plus, I feel if a MLS teams win this thing and other teams see how much money they get and that it is indeed a possibility to win it, more teams will invest in actually winning this tournament. It seems most MLS teams don't believe they can win this tournament so they don't focus particularly hard on it. RSL on the other hand has come out and said the CCL to them is bigger than MLS is.

kodiakTFC
03-02-2011, 01:46 AM
highlights (amazing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXyDZGrqgQo&feature=feedu

highlights for cruz azul game (amazing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3dunfwR1aU&feature=feedu

NBS
03-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Rsl is playing some nice and attractive football. Miles ahead of anything TFC has ever produced. Surprising how nicely they are passing the ball and linking up every player.

RSL has been a shining example of the fact that entertaining football is possible in MLS. I am always willing to watch them play and will be rooting for them in the CCL. They are a tremendous representative for MLS.