PDA

View Full Version : All Projectiles, Including Streamers, Banned from Crew Stadium

DOMIN8R
07-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Streamers Completely Banned, Throwing of Smoke Bombs and You Will Be Arrested (http://crewonespot.blogspot.com/2008/07/streamers-completely-banned-throwing-of.html)

From HSH_Crew on Bigsoccer: (http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15046050#post15046050)
"Well we just got a call from the front office and this is straight from McCullers himself anyone caught throwing anything including streamers at any point during the game will be ejected from the stadium. As well as anyone who is caught throwing a smoke bomb will not only be ejected but placed under arrested hurray for our glorious front office.

So no need to bring your streamers to this game unless you feel like listening to the game from outside!!"

http://crewonespot.blogspot.com/2008/07/streamers-completely-banned-throwing-of.html

DOMIN8R
07-01-2008, 01:28 PM
It seems like the Crew fans always seem to get screwed by the owners. Seat relocation, overzealous security, now this....?

Bobo
07-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Screwed? I dont think they can even complain.

ilikemusic
07-01-2008, 01:37 PM
I dont think it was overzealous security that has led to this.

DOMIN8R
07-01-2008, 01:43 PM
I dont think it was overzealous security that has led to this.

I agree. That's not my point. It seems to me that, more than any other team, the Crew fans have a history of being treated like they don't matter. The lack of fan appreciation ( I know - what fan(s)?), the fact that they relocated the fan section, without consulting the fans to accomodate that fricken stage, etc. Consider this in contrast to how TFC or D.C. United fans are treated by the teams respective owners.

Roogsy
07-01-2008, 07:41 PM
If Columbus Crew fans get treated like crap...they should protest. Like not buying tickets, or not showing up en masse. When you have a crowd of 6k like routinely show up at Crew stadium...that makes a statement.

We couldnt do that...TFC is simply too much in demand. But the Crew supporters need to get organized and stop bitching.

Phil
07-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Did we all forget what happened in Columbus to start all this?

DOMIN8R
07-01-2008, 07:53 PM
No. But if all MLS teams were to stop all streamers because of a single, although instense, moment of stupidity then BMO would be a library.

DOMIN8R
07-01-2008, 07:54 PM
And for the record - I'm not a fan of streamers.

Phil
07-01-2008, 08:06 PM
No. But if all MLS teams were to stop all streamers because of a single, although instense, moment of stupidity then BMO would be a library.

Fair enough. Racial slur and reported batteries being thrown. Not my job to judge but for something bigger to happen I would suspect a re-occuring situation or worse. Maybe the national post is reporting there?

Wagner
07-01-2008, 08:10 PM
2009, welcome the St. Louis Crew.
you heard it here first.

DOMIN8R
07-01-2008, 08:14 PM
There is no correlation between a racial slur and streamers. At BMO we've had flares smoke bombs, beer and bottles thrown on the pitch. We have had no crackdown - although it would be justified.

I'm outraged that the racial slur incident has gone unresolved and/or unpunished.

DOMIN8R
07-01-2008, 08:15 PM
you heard it here first.

Please elaborate.

werewolf
07-01-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm outraged that the racial slur incident has gone unresolved and/or unpunished.

exactly.

how many threads have there been? "The league is going to investigate streamers!" "The league is banning streamers from play" "the front office warning about streamers"

where is the press release after press release in regards to the racism!?!?! :noidea:

Phil
07-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Agreed, I am venting a bit. I don't want to see any supporters have streamers revoked, I just think that there is an incident that lead to it and we don't have the whole story. We may never know.

DOMIN8R
07-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Agreed. We never know the whole story.

Dirk Diggler
07-01-2008, 10:18 PM
you heard it here first.

*Any-other-city-in-the-continent* Crew is fine by me!

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-01-2008, 10:41 PM
A little OT, but still streamer related - Why do people throw streamers at our own players when they are taking corners? Not sure that CV2, the academy players, and the ball children are really legit targets either.

Keystone FC
07-02-2008, 11:05 AM
If Columbus Crew fans get treated like crap...they should protest. Like not buying tickets, or not showing up en masse.

Roogsy....they do that already...at least the fans do.;)

Keystone FC
07-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Agreed, I am venting a bit. I don't want to see any supporters have streamers revoked, I just think that there is an incident that lead to it and we don't have the whole story. We may never know.

Basiclly from what I know the 5/24/08 game the Revs took a penalty kick on the Crew which the Crew keeper stopped but a Rev (who most Crew fans believe was in the penalty box before the kick) got the rebound and put it in. He went near the Crew Supporters section and that's when Youtube comes in. In a video you can hear a person in the supporters section call the Rev player a ******. Apparently this got to the Crew FO and Supporters Presidents both said they would look into it and then the MLS said they would look into it as well.
MLS made the statement that the Crew FO/Supporters have found nothing in reguards to the person but that if they do that they would be banned from all Crew events and Crew Stadium events as well..THEN Garber made the statement about how in cahoots with the Crew incident that all streamers would be banned from being thrown on the field at players and officials and during play. Hence making the Crew scapegoats for something the MLS wanted to ban but could not find a reason to do it.
Now it appears that at the last Crew game several smoke bombs were tossed onto the field during play. Hence the Crews reaction to an already tense situation in reguards to the stadium officials and the supporters. From what I hear they have doubled the security in front of the supporters section and have added plain clothes officials in the section to yank anyone who makes a racial slur or throws anything onto the field.

I have to agree with Diggler and Wagner. The MLS wants OUT of Columbus and into St. Louis, Montreal, Vancouver...heck even Cleveland.

greatwhitenorf
07-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Someone cue up Chrissy Hynde:

Hey, ho
Where did you go
Ohio

Keystone FC
07-03-2008, 05:34 AM
Someone cue up Chrissy Hynde:

Hey, ho
Where did you go
Ohio

Or Neil Young's Ohio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1eyuH1-8A4&feature=related
No Streamers and Seats Are Empty
Crew Supporters Are On Their Own
This Summer Will Be Our Last One
The Crew Are Moving From Ohio..alt (The Crew Are Dead In Ohio)

canadian_bhoy
07-03-2008, 06:50 AM
What a bunch of losers.
If everyone brought streamers and threw them, what would they do? Throw out half the fans in the stadium?

Instead they just take it....sad.

Wagner
07-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Please elaborate.

St. Louis has long been rumoured a MLS destination.
C-bus is on Shakey Ground.

Moving to STL solves 2 problems....
1) pulls the plug on the c-bus experiment.
2) MLS moves to a bigger market.

The Kingpin
07-03-2008, 07:18 AM
What a bunch of losers.
If everyone brought streamers and threw them, what would they do? Throw out half the fans in the stadium?

Instead they just take it....sad.

That makes RPB et al losers as well!!! The clubs says no streamers on corners and BOOOOOM!! Pants drop... I know... I know... streamers are passe... :rolleyes:

I guess I'm an old git who likes to hark back to the good ol times... ;)

BBBulldog
07-03-2008, 08:19 AM
you don't think it has anything with them again throwing smoke bombs at player taking corner last game?

nascarguy
07-03-2008, 01:20 PM
It seems like the Crew fans always seem to get screwed by the owners. Seat relocation, overzealous security, now this....?
you forgot about the what to be rent a cops !!!

ilikemusic
07-03-2008, 01:37 PM
you don't think it has anything with them again throwing smoke bombs at player taking corner last game?

Couldnt be!:rolleyes:

lepenseur73
07-03-2008, 02:34 PM
I was at our season opener in Columbus. I gotta say, 'placing' (*cough* throwing) pyrotechnic paraphenalia onto the pitch is just...not....on.
Personally, I love the streamers. Pretty harmless, save the odd paper cut. Hard objects or ones that go BOOM in the night (or day for that matter) are B-A-D.

If MLS leaves Columbus - then who becomes our rivals? NE? DC? NY? Cleveland would be cool ;)

From a personal note, having grown up in Vancouver and having seen Pele play when I was knee high to his shin guards, I can't wait for YVR and YUL to get their asses in MLS. Oh! But wait! MLSE has a Canadian exclusivity clause till 2010! So they can get it right? Pulease....Vancouver is a huge threat. They are the longest standing pro team in North America (if you include their stint at the '86ers'). Van sucks as a sports town, but soccer is huge there.

I am not slagging TFC at all - merely pointing out the MLSE capitalised on MLS anal retentiveness.

FOR THE RECORD, I was dressed in red for the game, and I cheered for the Reds. Like no other (OK, well like MANY others).

Hooligan69
07-03-2008, 05:41 PM
If MLS leaves Columbus - then who becomes our rivals? NE? DC? NY? Cleveland would be cool ;)

Since when was Columbus our rival?

BBBulldog
07-03-2008, 07:21 PM
columbus is not going anywhere

Oblio2
07-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Since when was Columbus our rival?
They are our closest rival.

But we dont hate them like the fucking redbulls.....

OH

THE

REDBULLS

ARE

SHITE!!!!!

Hooligan69
07-03-2008, 08:17 PM
They are our closest rival.

But we dont hate them like the fucking redbulls.....

OH

THE

REDBULLS

ARE

SHITE!!!!!

Damn right. I HATE the Dead Bulls as much as I HATE the Montreal Limp Act.

Keystone FC
07-04-2008, 04:39 AM
columbus is not going anywhere

I'm not to sure on that. I use to be the staunch advocate for the Crew not leaving C-Bus, but if these trends continue, i.e:
No marketing or advertising within and outside their market, low attendance for a successful club, problems between fans and security, problems between supporters and FO, SSS whith no expansion (actually taken seats out), in competiton with an Arena Football Team and minor league baseball team (who by the way WILL be getting a downtown stadium) and losing to them. I just can't see the Crew in OHIO for very long. I'll give them 4 years...tops, and if these matters aren't cleared up and if some of the markets for expansion still have no club I could see them somewhere else.

Keystone FC
07-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Damn right. I HATE the Dead Bulls as much as I HATE the Montreal Limp Act.
:D LOL!

lepenseur73
07-04-2008, 10:18 AM
C-Bus is a college town (and driving in the neighbourhood of the stadium, I would say a boomtown too, if you know what I mean). Buckeyes rule C-bus. That...simple...
I will stick up for Ohio in particular - I find Ohioans to be very friendly (broad strokes here). I know that doesn't count for shit from a biz angle, but they made the trip down memorable.

Keystone FC
07-05-2008, 03:45 AM
C-Bus is a college town (and driving in the neighbourhood of the stadium, I would say a boomtown too, if you know what I mean). Buckeyes rule C-bus. That...simple...
I will stick up for Ohio in particular - I find Ohioans to be very friendly (broad strokes here). I know that doesn't count for shit from a biz angle, but they made the trip down memorable.

You hit the nail on the head. C-Bus is a college town. OSU rules...in everything. The only reason the Blue Jackets have any type of success is that it's one of the Big 4 (MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL). The people in C-Bus save their nickels and dimes for the Buckeyes so a soccer club, even in the MLS, is going to come up short in a town like that. It would be the same if the MLS wanted to put a club in South Bend, IN....it wouldn't fly.

BBBulldog
07-05-2008, 06:30 AM
I'm not to sure on that. I use to be the staunch advocate for the Crew not leaving C-Bus, but if these trends continue, i.e:
No marketing or advertising within and outside their market, low attendance for a successful club, problems between fans and security, problems between supporters and FO, SSS whith no expansion (actually taken seats out), in competiton with an Arena Football Team and minor league baseball team (who by the way WILL be getting a downtown stadium) and losing to them. I just can't see the Crew in OHIO for very long. I'll give them 4 years...tops, and if these matters aren't cleared up and if some of the markets for expansion still have no club I could see them somewhere else.

they have own stadium and ok attendance for one of smallest mls markets, they're safe

Keystone FC
07-06-2008, 03:00 AM
they have own stadium and ok attendance for one of smallest mls markets, they're safe
Yeah, they have their own SSS BUT it's built on the state fairgrounds and any improvements (stadium expansion [Sorry, sorry...that was too cruel] , a roof, paved parking) must go through the city AND the state fairgrounds management. It's not a matter of having the money and getting the permits. It's sitting down with a city commitee and state.
The owner of the Crew (bless his heart) has wanted to pave the areas around the stadium for some time. Those of you at the tailgate in Columbus know the reason behind that idea. Both the city and state have put nixes in the plan for whatever reason and so Crew fans have to wallow in a mud parking lot.
This is just one of the situations that leads me to believe that the Crew COULD be someplace else within the next 5 years. Reguardless of attendance and ownership of stadium. I've seen other pro teams move for lesser reasons. Heck, the Sonics just moved and they had good attendance but a lousy arena.