PDA

View Full Version : Nutrilite Canadian Championship Schedule Released

Oldtimer
02-18-2011, 01:50 PM
The CSA has released the schedule for this year's Nutrilite Canadian Championship. Edmonton FC has been added to the fold this season and will get the chance to host reigning champions Toronto FC at Commonwealth Stadium on April 27th. The Second Leg of the final will be played on May 25th, meaning that the tournament will not conflict with middle portion of the MLS season.

complete schedule:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1204-Nutrilite-Canadain-Championship-Schedule-Released

Carefree
02-18-2011, 01:52 PM
^^Just beat me to it.

Carefree
02-18-2011, 01:53 PM
I know this was the rumoured format for a while, but I was really hoping the powers that be would change their minds on this and keep the home-away format. this means we probably won't play the Limp Act this year.

Darlofletch
02-18-2011, 01:54 PM
2 legged final? booo. I guess it means more fixtures for the sponsors, and probabaly a bit more money coming into the csa, but a one off is much better, and assuming we make it, that's just another game to have to fit in.

Oldtimer
02-18-2011, 01:54 PM
I know this was the rumoured format for a while, but I was really hoping the powers that be would change their minds on this and keep the home-away format. this means we probably won't play the Limp Act this year.

I'm hoping that Montreal will beat Vancouver so that we can face them in the final.

We're already playing Vancouver in MLS.

2 legged final? booo. I guess it means more fixtures for the sponsors, and probabaly a bit more money coming into the csa, but a one off is much better, and assuming we make it, that's just another game to have to fit in.

2-legged is more fair, and is done world-wide, except so much in North America.

Carefree
02-18-2011, 01:57 PM
I noticed the CSL website doesn't have the FC Edmonton logo on the schedule along with the others. Then I clicked on this:
http://www.canadasoccer.com/championship/teams/edmonton.asp

FAIL!!

Oldtimer
02-18-2011, 01:59 PM
I noticed the CSL website doesn't have the FC Edmonton logo on the schedule along with the others. Then I clicked on this:

FAIL!!

...yet another example of why the bunch at the CSA needs to go now, not in 4 years. :facepalm:

Carefree
02-18-2011, 02:06 PM
...and for the Whitecaps they still have the old USL logo.

Redcoe15
02-18-2011, 02:06 PM

FAIL!!
You mean,
FAIL!!!!!!!!!!

phonzo
02-18-2011, 02:09 PM
twatted

Canada72
02-18-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm hoping that Montreal will beat Vancouver so that we can face them in the final.

We're already playing Vancouver in MLS.

I hope it's Montreal also

Where else in the world are two legged finals? South America? concacaf CL is the only one I know.

pekduck
02-18-2011, 03:07 PM
^
AFC and CAF, most of the time it's 2-legged but not consistent

Jeffro
02-18-2011, 03:11 PM
^well, certainly not in Europe, or at the World Cup for that matter....

Technorgasm
02-18-2011, 03:11 PM
why not just post it:

2011 SCHEDULE SEMI-FINAL STAGE

27 April 2011
Impact Montréal (3) v Vancouver Whitecaps FC (2) at Stade Saputo
FC Edmonton (4) v Toronto FC (1) at Commonwealth Stadium

4 May 2011
Toronto FC (1) v FC Edmonton (4) at BMO Field
Vancouver Whitecaps FC (2) v Impact Montréal (3) at Empire Stadium

CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL

The highest seeded team in the final will determine whether it opens at home or away

18 May 2011 - First Leg

25 May 2011 - Second Leg

TFC/Everton
02-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Glad to see FC Edmonton in the group!

Darlofletch
02-18-2011, 03:27 PM
they should just have a one off final at a neutral venue. the national soccer stadium sounds perfect for that purpose no?

Oldtimer
02-18-2011, 03:39 PM
^well, certainly not in Europe, or at the World Cup for that matter....

In Europe it's not done in the final, but both the UEFA CL and the FA Cup use it in the lower stages.

flatpicker
02-18-2011, 03:40 PM
they should just have a one off final at a neutral venue. the national soccer stadium sounds perfect for that purpose no?

Perhaps there's a bit of sarcasm to your statement... anyhow...
Can you imagine two of these teams playing in a city which is home turf for neither?
There would be maybe a few hundred people out to watch!

We're talking about soccer in Canada.
I don't love two-legged finals, but it's in the best interests of the game.
Imagine if it was Van-vs-Ed in the final at BMO... not exactly an electric atmosphere.

It is what it is... the set-up is probably the best solution.
At least it means the final game of the tournament won't be meaningless.
And you won't have teams throwing games when they know they're already eliminated from the competition.

Fort York Redcoat
02-18-2011, 03:55 PM
At this stage of the tournament I'd rather be playing all these teams home and away. They are far more interesting than the other MLS teams but I understand the full schedule of the league.

Looking forward to facing FCE for the 1st time!!!

brad
02-18-2011, 04:21 PM
At this stage of the tournament I'd rather be playing all these teams home and away. They are far more interesting than the other MLS teams but I understand the full schedule of the league.

This is better for TFC. Squads are thin and this is two fewer games for us to play than if we did home and away against each team.

Darlofletch
02-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Perhaps there's a bit of sarcasm to your statement... anyhow...
Can you imagine two of these teams playing in a city which is home turf for neither?
There would be maybe a few hundred people out to watch!

We're talking about soccer in Canada.
I don't love two-legged finals, but it's in the best interests of the game.
Imagine if it was Van-vs-Ed in the final at BMO... not exactly an electric atmosphere.

It is what it is... the set-up is probably the best solution.
At least it means the final game of the tournament won't be meaningless.
And you won't have teams throwing games when they know they're already eliminated from the competition.

but imagine how much it'd piss off everyone else to have to come to Toronto every year, that'd be golden.:D

Stouffville_RPB
02-18-2011, 05:20 PM

No, same number of games as before (6).

james
02-18-2011, 06:41 PM
im happy with the set-up!

Red CB Toronto
02-18-2011, 06:46 PM
I think once Canada gets to six pro teams at the MLS and D2 level, you will see two groups of three, playing each other home and away followed by a final.

sidvan
02-18-2011, 07:20 PM
How does this play out for STH?

Red CB Toronto
02-18-2011, 07:25 PM
How does this play out for STH?

The Edmonton semi-final on May 4th is included in our season ticket packages along with the potential home leg of the final vs. Montreal or Vancouver.

leafsman
02-18-2011, 07:26 PM
i assume you would want to play away first?

TorCanSoc
02-18-2011, 11:03 PM
I guess its too many games to play everyone twice, then declare the winner based on points? Its good for us, bad for Edmonton.

But of the losers how do they decide next year's fourth seed? So we beat Edmonton 4-0 on aggregate. Vancouver wins 4-0 on aggregate against Montreal. TFC-VAN determine next year's 1st and 2nd seed. But the other two teams don't play a third place final. So... base it on the original seeding? Edmonton could be stuck in the fourth seed for a while.

Antonio Gramsci
02-18-2011, 11:21 PM
So, there goes the idea of linking a Nutrilite final with Canada Day. The Canada Day weekend now sees both Vancouver and Toronto idle - what genius scheduled their match for June 29th when July 1-2 was open for both teams?

Keystone FC
02-19-2011, 03:50 AM
Glad to see FC Edmonton in the group!
They're lucky to be a tournament like this at all. Them and Montreal. The other NASL clubs (the Yanks) can't participate in the USOC this year due to the NASL was sanctioned so late.

Cashcleaner
02-19-2011, 08:37 AM

I agree. I'm not a big fan of the new changes either and wish we just continued with the previous round-robin scheme and added Edmonton to that. Playing the new club (Edmonton) is cool and all, but not getting to play Montreal is shitty IMO.

Jeffro
02-19-2011, 11:30 AM
In Europe it's not done in the final, but both the UEFA CL and the FA Cup use it in the lower stages.

Um, yeah, that's my point.

ManUtd4ever
02-19-2011, 11:36 AM
I agree. I'm not a big fan of the new changes either and wish we just continued with the previous round-robin scheme and added Edmonton to that. Playing the new club (Edmonton) is cool and all, but not getting to play Montreal is shitty IMO.

Agreed...

Carts
02-19-2011, 11:57 AM
I HATED the round robin format for a tornament this small - so I like the change...

I wish it was a one-game final instead of a 2-game aggregate...

If we drop any points to Edmonton, hell hath nothing on what will go on here LOL

rocker
02-19-2011, 12:03 PM
I don't have a preference either way.... as long as we win it.

What I find interesting is that all 4 teams are in great states of flux right now.

Edmonton and TFC had coaching changes.
Vancouver is up to a new league, with a very different roster than last year... TFC dumped a shitload of players (but has more players coming back than Vancouver). Edmonton has a skeleton roster and is playing in a formal league for the first time. Montreal probably is probably the most stable, but even they made a lot of roster changes and are playing in a newly configured league as well, thinking about moving up to MLS.

I think it's a bit of a crapshoot this year. Vancouver would seem to have the advantage over Montreal, but I wonder if Tater Tots will have them gelled by the time they play Montreal. Montreal's core has played together a lot. Toronto has the talent advantage over Edmonton and Montreal but maybe not Vancouver, but Vancouver needs to find chemistry in a hurry (and a striker).

werewolf
02-19-2011, 01:02 PM
I prefer this format, it is more fitting for a Cup competition. Though there are only a few teams at the moment, it sets a good precedence for the future. No longer will there be issues of losing the title to a team that never beat you (2008), or relying on victories by other teams in other matches (2009). Each team is responsible for their own fate.

Canuck82
02-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Has there been any word on TV coverage for this? On the plus side, the opening round lends itself nicely to doubleheader coverage - Montreal early game/Edmonton last game in week one, and Toronto early, Vancouver late in week two.

Sportsnet has done the coverage of the NCC in the past - I wonder if they will do it this year?

TOBOR !
02-22-2011, 11:05 AM
will the 'away goals rule' be in effect ?

Also, since the 'higher ranked' team in the final gets choice of where to play the first game, why not just have the final as a one-off affair at the highest ranked finalist's field ?

done, and done.

Oldtimer
02-22-2011, 11:48 AM
^ The away goals rule applies in the NCC and also in the CCL. Just not in MLS.

Roogsy
02-22-2011, 11:51 AM

2 legged finals are not done world-wide. There are places in this world that do them, but they are few and far between. Most places do a single-game final and frankly, that is what I would prefer. There is an excitement to a final game that is difficult to generate for a two-legged system. And as long as it's in a neutral venue, it's pretty fair.

Sally Mack
02-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Anyone know which games are included in which half-season pack?

SuperTCP
02-22-2011, 03:34 PM
I hope Montreal beat the Whitecaps. Looking forward to a TFC Road Trip to montreal :)

Rudi
02-23-2011, 12:43 AM
So, there goes the idea of linking a Nutrilite final with Canada Day. The Canada Day weekend now sees both Vancouver and Toronto idle - what genius scheduled their match for June 29th when July 1-2 was open for both teams?
The NCC needs to be completed by early June for CONCACAF purposes.

As for the scheduling of TFC vs. Vancouver on June 29, that was likely a TSN decision, as they are busy with CFL on Canada Day.

Fort York Redcoat
02-23-2011, 07:59 AM
^There we go. The First time TSN chooses CFL over us. I'm counting.

phonzo
02-23-2011, 08:01 AM
they could stick us on TSN2 :D...

and I guess I should remind folks....cowgirls

Stouffville_RPB
02-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Also, since the 'higher ranked' team in the final gets choice of where to play the first game, why not just have the final as a one-off affair at the highest ranked finalist's field ?

I'm fairly certain that the reason this format was choosen was because it keeps the NCC at 6 games (the same as last year). Going to a single game final would mean one less game, one less game to sell to TV, fans and advertisers.

boban
02-23-2011, 09:17 AM
:thumbsup:

Brooker
02-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Damnit I wanted to cheer for Edmonton atleast once...