PDA

View Full Version : Steven Beattie Leaving TFC

prizby
02-18-2011, 10:51 AM
As per his tweet, he wasn't getting a fair shot apparently....I wonder what he meant by this....will he play at nku next year? (Was he a senior?)...I assume tfc hold his rights

mastermixer
02-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Interesting news. Can't really judge since I haven't seen him kick a ball since he joined TFC.

Whoop
02-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Hmmm, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

TFC doesn't owe him anything.

London
02-18-2011, 10:55 AM
link???

why post in the news without a link or source????

sidvan
02-18-2011, 10:59 AM
link???

why post in the news without a link or source????

http://twitter.com/steven5beattie

"Decision made. Heading back to NKU. Thanks too the great people of Toronto but I wasn't getting a fair shot here. Met some great ppl at TFC
14 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®"

"@prizby I was excited myself. They wanted some of us to stay in Toronto and train with the academy while the team was in Florida!!
10 minutes ago via web in reply to prizby"

jabbronies
02-18-2011, 11:09 AM
http://twitter.com/steven5beattie

"Decision made. Heading back to NKU. Thanks too the great people of Toronto but I wasn't getting a fair shot here. Met some great ppl at TFC
14 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®"

"@prizby I was excited myself. They wanted some of us to stay in Toronto and train with the academy while the team was in Florida!!
10 minutes ago via web in reply to prizby"

Perhaps he wasn't first team ready/mature enough? Why else would he be kept back in TO with the Academy?

TFCRegina
02-18-2011, 11:09 AM
^ Sounds like a real team player...

Whoop
02-18-2011, 11:10 AM
That's what I'm thinking.

He probably thought he was getting a shot at the first team while they probably wanted him for the reserves.

Pigfynn
02-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Exactly,

Is he so sure that he's above having to play with our acadamy guys while waiting for his shot? Smacks of arrogance.

Mark TFC
02-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Adios buddy. Gotta earn your opportunity, not everything comes the easy way.

prizby
02-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Sorry rpb london...on my phone...couldn't get a link up

Wull
02-18-2011, 11:44 AM
I wonder if this is where Winter's philosophy parts ways with the league norm? Is it normal to have drafted players training with the club's academy team? (Not saying Winter is wrong here, just wondering if the kid's expectations are outlandish)

mastermixer
02-18-2011, 11:46 AM
These atheletes gotta stop discussing things like this on twitter. Usually makes them look bad.

Carts
02-18-2011, 11:49 AM
This guy was playing NCAA DIV-II and he think he's jumping straight to the big club...

I'm not knocking DIV-II or having confidence, but be realistic kid...

Carts...

Lucky Strike
02-18-2011, 11:54 AM
I wonder if this is where Winter's philosophy parts ways with the league norm? Is it normal to have drafted players training with the club's academy team? (Not saying Winter is wrong here, just wondering if the kid's expectations are outlandish)

That's what came to mind as well. Because Winter is from overseas, does the idea of what he thinks is appropriate different from the custom in MLS?

mastermixer
02-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Sad part is he probably would have got a bunch of call ups during the season with injuries and gold cup.

menefreghista
02-18-2011, 12:08 PM
This guy was playing NCAA DIV-II and he think he's jumping straight to the big club...

Carts...

On top of that wasn't he from the Supplemental Draft? The odds were always stacked against him.

Also wouldn't he have taken an international spot?

Stouffville_RPB
02-18-2011, 12:20 PM
On top of that wasn't he from the Supplemental Draft? The odds were always stacked against him.

Exactly! How many guys that are actually drafted make the club let alone supplemental draft.

So everyone passed on him multiple times and he's thinking that he's automatic to make the first team?

Dude has to grow up.

Whoop
02-18-2011, 12:26 PM

Also wouldn't he have taken an international spot?

Agreed.

I think the international spot would be a bigger thorn.

jabbronies
02-18-2011, 12:31 PM

Carts...

Playing devil's advocate here, but didn't Sam Cronin and Frei go from NCAA to starting lineup. Mind you they were chosen in the main draft, not supplemental.

Some notable sup draft players:
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/notable-players-plucked-supplemental-drafts

Whoop
02-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Cronin (Wake Forest) and Frei (Cal) came major soccer programs in the NCAA.

Northern Kentucky isn't exactly a powerhouse.

drewski
02-18-2011, 12:35 PM
cryptic last tweet in this convo

@steven5beattie
Decision made. Heading back to NKU. Thanks too the great people of Toronto but I wasn't getting a fair shot here. Met some great ppl at TFC

@prizby
@steven5beattie shocked...we were really looking at seeing you wear red...good luck :)

@steven5beattie
@prizby I was excited myself. They wanted some of us to stay in Toronto and train with the academy while the team was in Florida!!

@prizby
@steven5beattie that's a shame.I really hope TFC didn't make promises than retrack their promise.they should have definetely given u the opp

@steven5beattie
@prizby it will all come to the surface soon.

Whoop
02-18-2011, 12:37 PM
LOL @ prizby stirring the pot.

Detroit_TFC
02-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Sounds like he feels he got jobbed but he should watch himself before burning bridges. TFC still holds his MLS rights, correct?

Ossington Mental Youth
02-18-2011, 12:51 PM
yeah sounds like he wasnt willing to train with the academy.
sorry fella, you do as youre told in your position.
Not likely that peoplell come knocking in North Kentucky

prizby
02-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Question...does a developmental player (so someone taken in the Supplemental Draft) count to international spots...I thought there was some exemption there

I have a feeling Beattie was promised a chance with the first team and when that didn't happen, he didn't want to stick around.

I agree with Beattie's decision:

Why draft a player if you aren't going to give him a chance with the first team...give him 45 mins to show something and if he doesn't, Winter can than say something like look Steven, this is what you need to work on and your best opportunity to impropve on this is to train with the academy and here is why.

Beattie wasn't given any such opportunity though and why stick around. He did the smart, responsible thing: finish scchool and have a degree you can fall baclk on if your pro aspirations don't work out in the future. That makes the most sense

zeelaw
02-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Sigh, probs just isn't good enough.

Whoop
02-18-2011, 01:01 PM
^^
Probably.

He did train with the team in Oakville maybe that was enough for the coaching staff to cut him loose.

Stuff like this happens all the time in every sport. Guys always complaining about not getting a fair shot. 99% of the time, reality is, they're just not good enough.

scooterTFC
02-18-2011, 01:05 PM
'wasn't getting a fair shot' might just mean he got caught in the numbers game around international slots on the roster. I don't read it as a knock on the club so much as a comment on a the situation.

Whoop
02-18-2011, 01:07 PM
And probably TFC did want him. For the reserves.

And he said thanks but no thanks.

DangerRed
02-18-2011, 01:32 PM
I have a feeling Beattie was promised a chance with the first team and when that didn't happen, he didn't want to stick around.

I agree with Beattie's decision:

Why draft a player if you aren't going to give him a chance with the first team...give him 45 mins to show something and if he doesn't, Winter can than say something like look Steven, this is what you need to work on and your best opportunity to impropve on this is to train with the academy and here is why.

Beattie wasn't given any such opportunity though and why stick around. He did the smart, responsible thing: finish scchool and have a degree you can fall baclk on if your pro aspirations don't work out in the future. That makes the most sense

What? To say that Winter shelved him with the academy without giving him a close look in one way or another is as silly as saying that Winter would put him into the first team without doing the same.

Why would you make ANY decision about a player without evaluating him first?

By saying the truth will come to light soon (give me a fucking break) this kid is saying there was some conspiracy against him. This is a classic case of Occam's Razor: the simplest explanation is often the correct one. I would bet any money he got looked at carefully, was deemed not good enough and then shown to the academy. He didn't like it, packed his bags, and here we are.

rocker
02-18-2011, 02:01 PM
yes, obviously he was evaluated.. with the academy and then in Oakville. He didn't get an extended shot in real MLS-quality-or-better games, but he got a shot.

And as mentioned earlier, signing a player in MLS is not simply a case of talent. With all the rules, it could be a combination of things... evaluation, roster spots, whether the team thinks academy players might be a better fit than Beattie. Plata seems impressive... Stinson scored a goal (but he's not a striker, right?). What does Beattie bring that others cannot?

drexel10
02-18-2011, 02:07 PM
yes, obviously he was evaluated.. with the academy and then in Oakville. He didn't get an extended shot in real MLS-quality-or-better games, but he got a shot.

And as mentioned earlier, signing a player in MLS is not simply a case of talent. With all the rules, it could be a combination of things... evaluation, roster spots, whether the team thinks academy players might be a better fit than Beattie. Plata seems impressive... Stinson scored a goal (but he's not a striker, right?). What does Beattie bring that others cannot?

I am actually shocked that a D2 player even got a look.

prizby
02-18-2011, 11:21 PM
What? To say that Winter shelved him with the academy without giving him a close look in one way or another is as silly as saying that Winter would put him into the first team without doing the same.

Why would you make ANY decision about a player without evaluating him first?

By saying the truth will come to light soon (give me a fucking break) this kid is saying there was some conspiracy against him. This is a classic case of Occam's Razor: the simplest explanation is often the correct one. I would bet any money he got looked at carefully, was deemed not good enough and then shown to the academy. He didn't like it, packed his bags, and here we are.

DeRo's DP Contract

Cashcleaner
02-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Ah well, that's the breaks. I really liked his enthusiasm, but sports is sports and you need more than that to make a senior team. I hope he didn't shoot himself in the foot by turning down the offer to play with the academy. Perhaps in a year or two he would have been given a chance at suiting up for games at BMO.

Carts
02-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Playing devil's advocate here, but didn't Sam Cronin and Frei go from NCAA to starting lineup. Mind you they were chosen in the main draft, not supplemental.

Some notable sup draft players:
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/notable-players-plucked-supplemental-drafts

HUGE DIFFERENCE coming from Div-I and Div-II...

That's NHL and AHL...