PDA

View Full Version : Nick Soolsma interview

TFC The Hague
02-17-2011, 09:49 AM
http://senioren.voetbal.nl/article/11423/leuk-als-aron-winter-je-wilt-hebben

My quick translation

"It's nice to be wanted by Aron Winter'

One day you work matches in the amateur league and the next you're invited to a training camp in Turkey. A football career can take strange turns. Nick Soolsma (23) found that out recently.

In late January the Young Boys player suddenly received a phone call from Bob de Klerk, Aron Winter's assistant at Toronto FC. Whether he wanted to come on trial with the club... The winger went, impressed and earned a contract. Soolsma will no longer be playing clubs like Ter Leede or Swift, but make his debut in Major League Soccer (MLS).

Nick, a nice change from Young Boys to Toronto ...
'That's right. A while ago I was contacted by Bob de Klerk, Aron Winter's assistant in Toronto. He asked if I wanted an internship with the club, in Belek in Turkey. I played games against Partizan Belgrade, Dinamo Zagreb and Red Star Belgrade. Apparently it went well because I was offered a contract.'

That sounds like a dream!
'That's for sure. Since my early childhood I wanted to be a footballer and now it's really happening.'

You've been a professional with Haarlem (Dutch Eerste Divisie) in the past?
'The last three years I played with the amateurs and before I played youth teams of FC Volendam (Eerste Divisie) and PSV (Eredivisie). After my last year at Volendam my contract was not renewed and I played one year at Haarlem.'
When you went back to the amateur league, did you think your dream to become a professional player was over?
'I've been busy with my business career. I earned money at my job and as a player from my work and a little as an amateur. As a player in the Eerste Divisie I knew I would never earn that much, so my only option to be a pro was abroad.'

That succeeded.
'I've been on trial with several teams from Qatar. Eventually, I was able to sign with a club in Oman and a second division team in Qatar. But I didn't like those countries. Toronto is a nice club, though, with a good coach too. "

Does it influence you to be wanted by a person like Aron Winter?
'Sure. Aron was a great player and is a great coach. He played a lot of caps too. It's just great when someone like him wants to sign you.'

And when does the adventure start?
"I'll fly to Toronto on saturday, but it's there minus ten degrees celcius now. So we'll fly directly to Florida. We'll be there on training camp for two weeks and then return to Toronto. The wetter is a bit better there, then. Then the competition begins in March.'
Then the adventure really begins. Toronto plays in MLS, so maybe you'll play David Beckham soon...
'That could very well be. We'll see how my career evolves.'

pekduck
02-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the translation :)

Ossington Mental Youth
02-17-2011, 10:10 AM
initial pedigree is decent but second league in qatar? i hope dude proves my concerns wrong

Super Cereal
02-17-2011, 10:30 AM
It shouldn't be a surprise to me, but it's striking how much respect the Dutch players have for Winter. Just from the way they talk about him, all so positive.

Certainly bodes well for the future, we can already see Winter using this to TFC's advantage.

Lucky Strike
02-17-2011, 10:46 AM
initial pedigree is decent but second league in qatar? i hope dude proves my concerns wrong

I was thinking the same thing, but it could be one of those "had trouble getting noticed" things, kind of like the Nick Heidfeld of the football world.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Fing3ers crossed

Stouffville_RPB
02-17-2011, 10:57 AM

I hear you but at the same time there is a lot to be said by the way a player is used. How many clubs kick themselves later for passing on a talent.

For an example Edison Cavani could've been bought by anyone this summer but how many now are wishing they did.

It may be that he will fit in well with what Winter's vision is.

Darlofletch
02-17-2011, 11:06 AM
three years in amateur leagues? oman? qatar? doesn't really inspire confidence

as people above have said, hopefully winter can get the best out of him.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-17-2011, 11:09 AM
I hear you but at the same time there is a lot to be said by the way a player is used. How many clubs kick themselves later for passing on a talent.

For an example Edison Cavani could've been bought by anyone this summer but how many now are wishing they did.

It may be that he will fit in well with what Winter's vision is.

absolutely, gotta have faith in the new FO, which i do

bgnewf
02-17-2011, 11:11 AM
three years in amateur leagues? oman? qatar? doesn't really inspire confidence

as people above have said, hopefully winter can get the best out of him.

Again we don't know what sort of wage he is on. If he is on a league minimum for example, or perhaps on a wage well under 100k then perhaps we might have a bargain here.

We can never detach wages and performances/potential from one another when talking MLS.

Whoop
02-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Of the 3 Dutch guys signed the only one I expect anything from is Martina.

Like I said yesterday I figure these guys are depth guys who will likely come rather cheaply, given their background.

I've said it before, there are young guys all around the world who would be willing to play for $40-50K in the hopes of getting some attention to move onto bigger things.

Oldtimer
02-17-2011, 11:14 AM
The real question is: is he a "second rate" player (who will do fine in MLS) or a "third rate" player who won't be a starter? If it's the latter it could be a waste of an international spot.

Every MLS squad has 3-5 first rate players, maybe 8-10 second rate players, and fill out the rest with lower quality. Every MLS squad is in the same predicament, so it's not really a problem. There's 30 spots to fill.

TFC The Hague
02-17-2011, 11:15 AM
@Super Cereal:
Aron Winter is just very, very respected in Holland. He was one of the most versatile midfielders of his generation and was an absolute team player. Soft spoken but very smart and determined. And while Dennis Bergkamp and Wim Jonk struggled to make the cut in Serie A, Winter just went there and did it. Besides, he played in 4 Euro Champs and 3 World Cups, which made him one of the most experienced players of his generation.

Now, if only his (and Bob de Klerk's) English would improve over the coming months :)

MartinUtd
02-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks a lot, Hague!

It sure is refreshing to get some wide players into the mix. I just can't help but worry we're getting into more Usanov's. That remains to be seen though so I'll stay positive until I see something on the pitch.

dupont
02-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Now, if only his (and Bob de Klerk's) English would improve over the coming months :)

At this moment, his English is improving. I am happy with his progress until now.

J .
02-17-2011, 11:30 AM
We need a warm body and so far its sounds like that. He will have an opportunity to play I am sure.

Who will replace the goals from Barrett remains to be seen. Hopefully this Martina guy who in 5 minutes of video some people drooled over will be able to do it, but Id like to see him in some games first before I get on that wagon.

Derko
02-17-2011, 11:48 AM
At this moment, his English is improving. I am happy with his progress until now.

Having travelled to the Netherlands and Northern Europe a number of times, it's really not that difficult to listen to, and understand Winter and De Klerk, during interviews.

Whoop
02-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Agreed.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Like I said yesterday I figure these guys are depth guys who will likely come rather cheaply, given their background.

my only argument here is that we dont have any starting wingers at the moment so im not entirely convinced these dudesll just be depth, unless we get some high faluting (yes, high faluting) wingers in florida

TFC/Everton
02-17-2011, 12:18 PM
At least he will give 100% every time he steps on the pitch.

brandrews
02-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Of the 3 Dutch guys signed the only one I expect anything from is Martina.

I've said it before, there are young guys all around the world who would be willing to play for $40-50K in the hopes of getting some attention to move onto bigger things.

i agree that soolsma is seemingly a depth kind of guy, but i am expecting bouchiba to get a look as a starter in the center of midfield just behind dero; dude has some fairly good pedigree.

brandrews
02-17-2011, 01:39 PM
I was thinking the same thing, but it could be one of those "had trouble getting noticed" things, kind of like the Nick Heidfeld of the football world.

haha...love the heidfeld reference. he's got a ride again too, what with kubica trying to tear himself in half and failing miserably and all.

there are probably a lot of guys in a similar situation throughout the football world.

HiHotorontofc
02-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Yeah the years in the amateure league isn't inspiring much confidence. But who knows, if Winter thinks hes good enough....thats alone should give us some confidence.

Lucky Strike
02-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Yeah the years in the amateure league isn't inspiring much confidence. But who knows, if Winter thinks hes good enough....thats alone should give us some confidence.

This reminds me of something that quite a number of us complained about during the MoJo era: he overpaid for players. The reasons for that are manifold but it reminded me that I wished TFC were capable of finding diamonds in the rough; players that apparently were never really held in high esteem before but are brought in and do very well for themselves. Perhaps the Soolsma deal is the beginning of such an occurrence?

jloome
02-17-2011, 05:59 PM
This reminds me of something that quite a number of us complained about during the MoJo era: he overpaid for players. The reasons for that are manifold but it reminded me that I wished TFC were capable of finding diamonds in the rough; players that apparently were never really held in high esteem before but are brought in and do very well for themselves. Perhaps the Soolsma deal is the beginning of such an occurrence?

Or Andy Welsh, the story continues

Ontario Arab
02-17-2011, 06:16 PM

I know most of you guys are rabid anti SPL but you only have to look at teams like my team Dundee United to understand that this is very very very important. United have NO Money as do most Scottish teams but with managers that have extensive networks, like Winter will defo have, gems will be unearthed. Morgaro Gomis and Prince Buaben have been unbelievable for us over the last few years, without them and a few others I fear my team would have died. Winter will have a huge network of fellow managers, scouts etc who will activly be working on his behalf to find these players. I for one am VERY excited at whats to come in the next few years for TFC, and after watching todays interview with Winter I can tell by his coy smile when asked about another DP he already has something in the works. Nuff Said. TFC Forever.

oxygenatedbrain
02-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Prince Buaben, now there's an ex Ajax youth guy who's out of contract in July who would be worth pursuing...

Oldtimer
02-18-2011, 05:33 AM
Or Andy Welsh, the story continues

Andy Welsh was paid over $200k if I recall, which is a big problem with most UK guys. They tend to be vastly over-priced for their quality. What you are really looking for is someone who is under-valued, who slipped through the cracks but gives you value above a relatively paltry salary. There are many players like that world-wide.

We haven't seen Soolsma play, so we don't know if he's really in that category, but his pedigree would be typical of someone who either isn't that good but is bench strength, or someone who "fell through the cracks." If it's like one would hope the latter, then it will be hats off to our assistant coach.

Mo was incapable of finding someone who was undervalued because he got his players mostly from Barry MacLean; nearly every one was over-valued.

Red CB Toronto
02-18-2011, 05:45 AM
Andy Welsh was paid over $200k if I recall, which is a big problem with most UK guys. They tend to be vastly over-priced for their quality. What you are really looking for is someone who is under-valued, who slipped through the cracks but gives you value above a relatively paltry salary. There are many players like that world-wide.

We haven't seen Soolsma play, so we don't know if he's really in that category, but his pedigree would be typical of someone who either isn't that good but is bench strength, or someone who "fell through the cracks." If it's like one would hope the latter, then it will be hats off to our assistant coach.

Mo was incapable of finding someone who was undervalued because he got his players mostly from Barry MacLean; nearly every one was over-valued.

The reality is that most players in the EPL or Championship are making a salary regardless of how good they are, that would dwarf just about anyone's in the MLS. So unless a guy wants a change like say Robo did odds are they will want some decent cash to leave the UK.

bdiddy
02-18-2011, 09:35 AM
I grew up listening to my mom talk to her family in dutch with that great accent. So it actually brings back good memories hearing Bob and Aron talk in English with that Dutch accent :)

But I agree - I don't know how some people are rating this kid already when we haven't had a chance to see him ourselves.

Diddy

johntv
02-20-2011, 11:54 AM
My dream is coming through and this Winter thing is so ironic Winter to the rescue in Canada changing the system, hey I hope he does not bring the Dutch weather.
Having been close to the Dutch team I always maintained that this was the way to go,these coaches are dynamite and very inspiring.Soolsma also happens to be from my home town,the Hague,the last city liberated by the Red Patch boys and yes I was there.
I spoke briefly with both Aron and Bob,Aron remembered me from 1994 when they played against Canada at Varsity.I was asked by the CSA to look after the Dutch team.
They said exactly what I hoped they would and that Dutch thing was again very obvious.I must say that their English is very good even though we spoke Dutch.They handled themselves very well at the media conference.In fact this whole thing is still surreal.
It is great for our Canadian kids. They will benefit big time,both in the style of soccer and the very technical content.
It certainly is a blast to follow these Dutch guys all over the World and these magic names are doing exactly what they are expected to do all thanks to that Ajax system.We are also very lucky in Canada that we have many kids that play hockey and soccer and that fighting spirit from hockey will benefit them and Canada in the long run.

Pigfynn
02-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks for that post^

Interesting stuff for sure. Let us know if you speak to them again.

TFCRegina
02-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Just a point, the Dutch "Amateur" league is actually Semi-Professional.

johntv
02-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Just looked up Nick on the Dutch web saw his Dutch interviews,his background and even some goals he scored.I am very impressed,this guy is Dutch all the way,very skillfull,agile and smart.Comes from a very small town Andyk.He turned down some lucrative contracts,deciding to come here instead.He is a very good one.

menefreghista
02-21-2011, 11:23 AM
He turned down some lucrative contracts,deciding to come here instead.

I highly doubt that.

TorCanSoc
02-21-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm sorry... we signed him from a beer league? Sounds like he's grateful to be playing anywhere someone will pay him. Not very reassuring. But will reserve final judgment after seeing him play. Is a dutch amateur league that good? We'll see.

Edit: Sorry, I read a dutch amateur league is semi-pro. Probably close to USL stuff. I stand corrected in my understanding.

P-NUTZ
02-21-2011, 02:16 PM
if Soolsma is the guy im thinking of, on the road trip i think he wore #39 , and has a wonderful touch. very nimble on the ball it appears, with some speed. seems to be playing mid left mostly. he coughed it up dangerously against partizan with a weak back pass, but looked spirited since then. Against red star he showed some stellar touches, with one killer move he seems to like.

check out the highlites on torontofc tv online if thats the guy.

he's certainly better than some turds we've had on this team before him.

P-NUTZ
02-21-2011, 02:44 PM
actually i think thats the other guy - forward javier martina?

Whoop
02-21-2011, 06:35 PM
P-Nutz what were your thoughts of the team in Turkey?

johntv
02-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Guys Dutch players are all well groomed, they watched these masters for a long while and they learned about the systems, the skill and they played it week in and week out.It's funny that Soolsma turned these offers down since they are not allowed to drink the good stuff and also took ecxception to these very white dresses (skirts)these guys wore and also had some reservations about the Islamic nature of Quatar.I have no doubt that they will succeed as any other Dutch player in any league not to mention they all excelled.We in Canada have never been exposed to these type of players since the preceeding management feared that Dutch thing.The management also ,not being soccer fans had no idea about that very little country and small population.Those that knew Mo that is feared these guys for some crazy reason. Klinseman knew better and ,he knew about that training system the glaring results and that technical devotion these guys have.Being as Dutch as you can get I am still objective enough to know what it takes.Yes I was around the who is who,from Advocaat,Cruyff,Koeman,van Basten,Rijkhard,my favourate Hiddink and friend and others who enlightened the world soccer scene.
Aron is of that same mold and so is his assistant.magic stuff and ready to shine.
Is it hype or facts that stare us in our face,take your pick and play it safe,time will tell and for me Dutch style soccer all the way,it works and entertains as well.The RPB going Dutch,hell why not they did it in 1945.