PDA

View Full Version : TFC signs three players - official

DangerRed
02-15-2011, 02:55 PM
New Winter, DeRo and DeGuzman videos are up:
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=2788

THREE SIGNED:
Winter is asked directly about Martina, Soolsma and Bouchiba (1:50 min mark into the video) and confirms all three are signed. Says they performed very well and fit the system.

Whoop
02-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Nice to see a coach smiling and at least being a little cheery. LOL

DangerRed
02-15-2011, 03:02 PM
DeRo on contract: "we're still progressing on that side of things, and things definitely look brighter. I'm pleased about that" and adds that wants to get past it and focus on the football.

DeGuzman: excited about the system, didn't have that before, looking forward to taking what they've learned into the season, says it was "depressing" not to be able to train as much (seems a reference to his injury) but that it was still great to see the guys practice in such an environment.

DangerRed
02-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Also, gotta love a good story from the TFC's Asif Hossain. Note that while he references the rumours and even the video in which Winter confirms the signings, he doesn't say anywhere that the signings have been confirmed. :facepalm:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/02/winter-addresses-trialist-reports

Milky
02-15-2011, 03:37 PM
I love these videos. I always try and guess how long DeRo's and Guzi's are going to be. Based on the fact that Winter's was about 4 minutes, I guessed 3 minutes for DeRo and was a little under but still close. I guessed 1:30 for Guzi and was way over. Man that guy does short interviews!

Technorgasm
02-15-2011, 03:38 PM
ttoally freakin JACKED for season start. . . and the SICK artwork that RPBs are going to be cranking out.

Super Cereal
02-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Also, gotta love a good story from the TFC's Asif Hossain. Note that while he references the rumours and even the video in which Winter confirms the signings, he doesn't say anywhere that the signings have been confirmed. :facepalm:

Yeah what a waste of time. Seriously, making an article to summarize a 4 minute video? And then excluding by far the most important and relevant information from that video?

Whoop
02-15-2011, 03:42 PM

LOL

Doesn't Winter say in the video "... that's why we signed them"?

Hopefully it's not another case of miscommunication.

bgnewf
02-15-2011, 03:47 PM
TFC Sign Three

http://f.ast.ly/VhRgh

Aron Winter "accidentally" confirms the signing of three Dutch trialists with Toronto FC. Javier Martina, Elbekay Bouchiba and Nick Soolsma all apparently signed for the upcoming MLS season.

BeerBaron95
02-15-2011, 03:49 PM
TFC Sign Three

http://f.ast.ly/VhRgh

Aron Winter "accidentally" confirms the signing of three Dutch trialists with Toronto FC. Javier Martina, Elbekay Bouchiba and Nick Soolsma all apparently signed for the upcoming MLS season.

how does he and the position he holds ''accidentally'' confirm 3 signings?

bgnewf
02-15-2011, 03:53 PM

because there has been no "official" release from the club or the league stating that these three guys are indeed under contract. Usually they happen at the same time. As a matter of fact the club has gone out of its way to be a little vague when when coach Winter is being definitive.

Perhaps, and it is all speculation at this point, these deals are done and they are awaiting league approval. Who knows.

Phil
02-15-2011, 03:54 PM

It got released that way instead of a press release.

Usually that is considered accidentall.

GuelphStorm2007
02-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Good to hear it is nice to see new blood coming in and at the same time we finally management are organising eveything early unlike last season were Under Mo they started the season with only 14 players.:scarf: Keep up the good work. Thanks for n all the updates.

Number Nine
02-15-2011, 04:23 PM
I like the organization that the new management is having on the team. Players are happy with the new system, there 'appears' to be signings, and while we have not seen too much of actual playtime, I am optimistic. :D Of course, I've been optimistic in years past, and we all know what happened with that, but optimism brings anticipation, and as a fan, I need that excitement. :P Here is hoping that at least some of Martina, Soolsma and Bouchib will be successful with the team.

Canada72
02-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Looks like the Dutch flag will be flying at BMO this year.

Damien
02-15-2011, 06:18 PM
the DUTCH!!!

QJ882QYzr-M

CretanBull
02-15-2011, 06:39 PM
^If we end up with an all-Dutch starting XI who play like they are Dutch I'd be very, very happy!

Shway
02-15-2011, 08:38 PM
^Dreamer

...i was optimistic since 06, but past events have made me look at things a little deeper, and put certain things in perspective reality

bigtfcfan
02-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Bouchiba is definitely not a goal scorer based on his stats

TFC The Hague
02-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Google Translation of this Dutch article:
http://www.westonline.nl/sportitem/48670?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+westonline-sport+%28Westonline+Sport+Alle+regios%29

Footballer Bas Ent does not depart to Toronto FC. The MLS club will not grant the attacker. Aron Winter did not see him fit in, reports topklasser.nl
Ent signed a contract for three years with the Canadian team, but that goes by the trainer switch, probably not. "Bas has received all the contracts and plans to turn to FIFA for legal action ', let Katwijk coach Cees Bruinink know. The attacker in the coming period to try and ask for a contract to earn the MLS. If the player does not enforce contracts, then he may return back to Katwijk.

So there will be some judicial action, since he seemed to have receive his 3-year contract before Aron Winter stepped in.

Chevy
02-16-2011, 09:38 AM
^If we end up with an all-Dutch starting XI who play like they are Dutch I'd be very, very happy!

Rumours persist that Clarence Seedorf will make his way to MLS this summer.

Consider Winter played with Seedorf at Ajax (one season I think) and on the national team, could there be a fit here?

It's at least the basis for starting a Seedorf to TFC rumour! :rolleyes:

TFC The Hague
02-16-2011, 09:59 AM
I think this is the 4th year in a row that the Seedorf-to-MLS boiler plate stuff is served again. I don't buy it until it's official. Reasons:
-he is wanted by clubs all over Europe.
-last autumn he stated his desire to be back at Ajax one day.
-He owns a club in Italy (AC Monza Brianza), where two of his family members (Stefano and Chedric Seedorf) are playing.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-16-2011, 10:03 AM
interesting bit on the Bas Ent bit.
Little confused as to how he'd have the right to take legal action.

golasogolaso
02-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Seedorf would be top quality for sure. Id be more focused on getting a DP goal scorer over here....where will the goals come from this year?

Oldtimer
02-16-2011, 10:53 AM

especially since MLS contracts for new players are typically not guaranteed.

Lucky Strike
02-16-2011, 10:53 AM

Right. Either the contract is signed by both parties or it is not. If it was, then Winter would be stuck with him. If it wasn't, there is no recourse.

The only situation where I can see it being muddied is if TFC drew up a contract, Ent signed it, but the relevant authority at TFC never counter-signed it. So if that were me, I'd be mighty annoyed that the team went through the trouble of drawing up a contract for me which I happily signed only to then have the team change its mind.

MartinUtd
02-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Google Translation of this Dutch article:
http://www.westonline.nl/sportitem/48670?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+westonline-sport+%28Westonline+Sport+Alle+regios%29

Footballer Bas Ent does not depart to Toronto FC. The MLS club will not grant the attacker. Aron Winter did not see him fit in, reports topklasser.nl
Ent signed a contract for three years with the Canadian team, but that goes by the trainer switch, probably not. "Bas has received all the contracts and plans to turn to FIFA for legal action ', let Katwijk coach Cees Bruinink know. The attacker in the coming period to try and ask for a contract to earn the MLS. If the player does not enforce contracts, then he may return back to Katwijk.

So there will be some judicial action, since he seemed to have receive his 3-year contract before Aron Winter stepped in.

If that's really the case then Earl Cochrane needs to be tarred and feathered out front of Gate 1 on opening day.

mike_bouma
02-16-2011, 11:05 AM
That does it. I'm starting a thread to say I'm leaving the Red Patch Boys.... To start the Orange Patch Boys.

craigtfc
02-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Here's some info on the players:

Javier Martina:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javier_Martina

Nick Soolsma:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Soolsma

Elbekay Bouchiba:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbekay_Bouchiba

JonO
02-16-2011, 11:09 AM
The only situation where I can see it being muddied is if TFC drew up a contract, Ent signed it, but the relevant authority at TFC never counter-signed it. So if that were me, I'd be mighty annoyed that the team went through the trouble of drawing up a contract for me which I happily signed only to then have the team change its mind.
Aren't the contracts with the league, not the team?

Oldtimer
02-16-2011, 11:24 AM
That does it. I'm starting a thread to say I'm leaving the Red Patch Boys.... To start the Orange Patch Boys.

hahaha nice one

Lucky Strike
02-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Aren't the contracts with the league, not the team?

Yes that's correct - my mistake. But the point remains the same: the league would have drawn up a contract at the request of TFC.

rocker
02-16-2011, 11:47 AM

yeah, he has nothing to stand on.

LA signed a guy a few years back.. the name escapes me but it was a relatively well known player (I remember the announcement of the signing). Then they cut him even before training camp started. He had no recourse.

Perhaps Ent is going on what he knows from other leagues. Of course MLS is unlike any other league... the collectively bargained agreement with the union includes provisions that perhaps are not typical in Europe.

jloome
02-16-2011, 12:29 PM
yeah, he has nothing to stand on.

LA signed a guy a few years back.. the name escapes me but it was a relatively well known player (I remember the announcement of the signing). Then they cut him even before training camp started. He had no recourse

Former fullback from Chelsea, Celestine Babayaro. Showed up with a paunch.

MartinUtd
02-16-2011, 03:17 PM
...a paunch.

Had to look that up, pretty funny.

Shakes McQueen
02-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Right. Either the contract is signed by both parties or it is not. If it was, then Winter would be stuck with him. If it wasn't, there is no recourse.

I could see Ent being frustrated or annoyed by a situation like this, but even this scenario would give Ent zero judicial recourse.

- Scott

bgnewf
02-19-2011, 08:47 AM
I could see Ent being frustrated or annoyed by a situation like this, but even this scenario would give Ent zero judicial recourse.

- Scott

I am willing to give TFC a mulligan on this one, if it is shown by the passage of time to be a one off kind of thing. Ent was the unfortunate victim of the change in management at TFC.

I understand fully if this guy was not seen as being part of the new regime and that Winter/De Klerk declined to keep him. Where this kind of thing potentially becomes a real concern is if it say happens again next season with the same people in charge.