PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Tuesday,Feb.15

denime
02-15-2011, 06:19 AM
Mornin'

MLS backtracks on schedule change (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/02/14/sp-soccer-mls.html)

Back in the day (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/02/13/dobson_canada/)

Canadian women: Dollars and sense (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/jasondevos/2011/02/canadian-womens-team-dollars-and-sense.html)

MLS Announces TSN Partnership (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/02/mls-announces-tsn-partnership)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Huyton
02-15-2011, 07:09 AM
My local is a small tavern and they didn't carry GolTV. For me, this is a good move.

Does anyone know if TSN will also cover the Nutrilite, and CONCACAF Champions League games?

spark
02-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Apologies if this was posted somewhere already.

There's no kid gloves in this Paul James interview where he pretty much covers everything that's gone on over the last weeks - CWNT, TFC (yup and de ro) Greece match etc ...

RNO Interview with Paul James (http://www.rednationonline.ca/Rednation_Speaks_with_Paul_James_february_14_11_fe ature.shtml)

Technorgasm
02-15-2011, 08:11 AM
My local is a small tavern and they didn't carry GolTV. For me, this is a good move.

Does anyone know if TSN will also cover the Nutrilite, and CONCACAF Champions League games?

Whats teh local in Milton? Ivy? Brydens? Ned's?
good to know when I visit the fam (and catch a MILLTOWN FC game)
does teh Hardball still exist?

Technorgasm
02-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Question to RPBs.. .DO YOU HAVE A DEEP DEEP COMMITMENT to TFC?
I think the answer is most certainly YES.

The fact our league is only 16 years old we don't yet have that deep, deep commitment from fans to come through thick and thin. I'm not sure we are ready for that. But at some point I think we probably will be."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/02/14/sp-soccer-mls.html#ixzz1E26ZrmgC

denime
02-15-2011, 08:24 AM

The fact our league is only 16 years old we don't yet have that deep, deep commitment from fans to come through thick and thin. I'm not sure we are ready for that. But at some point I think we probably will be."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/02/14/sp-soccer-mls.html#ixzz1E26ZrmgC

This is the first link in opening post. :facepalm:

Kaz
02-15-2011, 08:24 AM
I think MLSE the MLS and the vendors would like to see 18,000-22,000 to the games rather then 5 or 6 thousand.

There maybe a lot of die hard fans that will go out, but not 20k right now and certainly not in Colorado, or Ohio

Darlofletch
02-15-2011, 08:48 AM
the garber interview article really amuses me. he basically calls tfc fans soft, mlse and the nhl dumb, and tells fifa to go fuck themselves.

would i go to games in the winter? I'd like to think I would, but I certainly wouldnn't prefer it.

maninb
02-15-2011, 09:01 AM
the garber interview article really amuses me. he basically calls tfc fans soft, mlse and the nhl dumb, and tells fifa to go fuck themselves.

would i go to games in the winter? I'd like to think I would, but I certainly wouldnn't prefer it.

So where does he call TFC fans "soft"? Me thinks you're putting words in his mouth...

Darlofletch
02-15-2011, 09:13 AM
"I don't think we are going to a winter calendar any time soon," Garber told reporters Monday. "To think about playing in Toronto in January or December, it's hard to imagine we are going to be able to do that.
"The fact our league is only 16 years old we don't yet have that deep, deep commitment from fans to come through thick and thin. I'm not sure we are ready for that. But at some point I think we probably will be."

I'm not putting words in his mouth, I'm very much twisting his words for fun. It's only cos he was in canada that he mentioned toronto rather than say colorado or new england, but still, put the tow sentences together and it's like he's calling us out.

Detroit_TFC
02-15-2011, 09:28 AM
In fact, Toronto may be the only cold weather place where decent numbers would watch Green Bay style.

DangerRed
02-15-2011, 09:36 AM

Easy there. I'm committed to the team. But he's talking about coming to BMO in January and February, which I most certainly would not.

TFC_Junky
02-15-2011, 09:38 AM
"In Holland they are comfirming that TFC have signed three Dutch players including a right and left winger that trained with the team in Turkey."

According to mlssoccer.com. No names mentioned though

Parkdale
02-15-2011, 09:44 AM
I love this team to an obsessive, self-destructive level....

but if games are begin played in February weather (like the weather outside today)...
You'll find me at joe's, shouting at the TV and sipping on a hot bowl of soup.

Refusing to put yourself into -20'c windchill doesn't mean you aren't loyal - it means you aren't fuckin' crazy :crazy:

Lucky Strike
02-15-2011, 09:49 AM
"In Holland they are comfirming that TFC have signed three Dutch players including a right and left winger that trained with the team in Turkey."

Stupid as it may be, but others can relate, I've become super excited and no names have been mentioned yet. And it's still a rumour....

menefreghista
02-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Refusing to put yourself into -20'c windchill doesn't mean you aren't loyal - it means you aren't fuckin' crazy :crazy:

They would just cancel the game if there was weather like today's. Or if there was a big snowstorm during the match.

Playing in winter is stupid. Not sure why people keep bringing it up like it could happen. Unless you want to see Toronto on a long road trip.

Lucky Strike
02-15-2011, 09:57 AM

Running through the list of trialists and taking only the Dutch players, you have Martina, Soolsma, Ent and Bouchiba.
If there is a left and right winger plus one more unknown, that would mean it's:

A) Bouchiba, Ent and Martina or Soolsma (I know Ent left camp, but I don't think they said he left because he wasn't going to be signed)

or

B) Bouchiba, Soolsma and Martina (if you assume Ent was unsuccessful - Soolsma is listed as a forward on the main trialist list, but he has no Wikipedia information, what if we're wrong and he's actually a winger?). Also, I think someone in the trialist thread said this scenario is currently in the works.

TFC_Junky
02-15-2011, 10:04 AM
I gotta go with option B, as far as I'm aware, Ent didn't impress. As long as Martina is one of the guys signed I'm happy!!!

I wish there was more info but that's all I could find.

prizby
02-15-2011, 10:12 AM
ssg is only 24? yeah right

brandrews
02-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Running through the list of trialists and taking only the Dutch players, you have Martina, Soolsma, Ent and Bouchiba.
If there is a left and right winger plus one more unknown, that would mean it's:

A) Bouchiba, Ent and Martina or Soolsma (I know Ent left camp, but I don't think they said he left because he wasn't going to be signed)

or

B) Bouchiba, Soolsma and Martina (if you assume Ent was unsuccessful - Soolsma is listed as a forward on the main trialist list, but he has no Wikipedia information, what if we're wrong and he's actually a winger?). Also, I think someone in the trialist thread said this scenario is currently in the works.

westmaas is dutch also; soolsma and martina were both playing the wings in the front three during the training matches as far as i could tell by the updates.

Parkdale
02-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Playing in winter is stupid. Not sure why people keep bringing it up like it could happen. Unless you want to see Toronto on a long road trip.

and think of the injuries. We'd need a 40 roster team and 8 subs a game just to get though 90 minutes.

menefreghista
02-15-2011, 10:26 AM
and think of the injuries. We'd need a 40 roster team and 8 subs a game just to get though 90 minutes.

Agreed.

The earliest you can start a North American league is the 1st week of March. And even than you would make the northern/colder cities start the first few weeks on the road.

Fort York Redcoat
02-15-2011, 10:44 AM
"Anyone who suggests that the women are "better" than the men because of their results and FIFA ranking doesn't understand the world of football."

Thank you Jason DeVos.

Compensate the girls. Keep the rate of pay in perspective.

Lucky Strike
02-15-2011, 11:43 AM
westmaas is dutch also; soolsma and martina were both playing the wings in the front three during the training matches as far as i could tell by the updates.

Right - had forgotten about him. But I don't think it changes too much, Westmaas was part of the defense that leaked 2 goals inside 10 minutes. I wasn't there to say he was at fault (or not), but regardless of whose fault it was on the backline, it looks bad on a trial to be a part of that. Plus Westmaas was there for only one match as well. From this information, I would say the odds are against him at this point.

Parkdale
02-15-2011, 12:14 PM
"Anyone who suggests that the women are "better" than the men because of their results and FIFA ranking doesn't understand the world of football."

Thank you Jason DeVos.

did he really say that?

that's the kind of comment that can end someone's on-air career, simply because it only takes a certain number of complaints to get someone pulled, and I can see people getting really upset over it.

Stryker
02-15-2011, 12:22 PM
did he really say that?

that's the kind of comment that can end someone's on-air career, simply because it only takes a certain number of complaints to get someone pulled, and I can see people getting really upset over it.

I found it to be an asinine comment.

denime
02-15-2011, 12:24 PM
did he really say that?

I don't see anything wrong with his statment.

Suds
02-15-2011, 12:25 PM
did he really say that?

He wrote that in an article for the CBC web site. Here's is the full section with what he said in context.

Anyone who suggests that the women are "better" than the men because of their results and FIFA ranking doesn't understand the world of football.

There are probably a dozen truly competitive teams in women's football. Of those dozen teams, there are probably four or five who are at another level. The United States, Germany and Brazil are the top three ranked teams in the FIFA women's ranking, but the likes of Japan and Sweden are also very competitive.

Canada is breaking into that group of four or five, based on how well they have done over the last few years. They are currently ranked ninth in the FIFA rankings, but I believe they are effectively a top-five team - and possibly even a top-three team. They have improved immensely over the last two years, under the tutelage of Morace.

When you consider the men are currently ranked 80th, it is clear that the women are better, right?

If you look at things in black and white, that might be correct. But the men are up against a far more competitive field, and the task of qualifying for the World Cup on the men's side is infinitely more difficult than the equivalent in the women's game. The men's game is far more established globally, and comparing the two programs based on results is simply not possible.

That is not meant to downplay the achievements of the women's team, because I believe they have a legitimate chance of finishing in the top three in the world this summer. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching them play since Morace took charge, and I am excited about their chances in Germany this summer.

But the argument that they are "better" than the men because they are ranked higher is clearly out of touch with reality.

Fort York Redcoat
02-15-2011, 12:34 PM
I found it to be an asinine comment.

I'm listening...

Stryker
02-15-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm listening...

Well for one you don't see a large number of women deciding to play for other countries, so the loyalty factor alone counts for something.

Another thing is the fact that although there aren't alot of superpower countries in womens national soccer, the women can beat every single one of them. The CMNT can't even hold there own againest the little fish of the national men's teams.

Lastly look at Brazil as competition. They're a top three to five country in both mens and womens. Could the canadian womens team beat Brazil? Absolutely. Mens? Not a snowballs chance in hell.

spark
02-15-2011, 12:44 PM
I don't see anything wrong with his statment.

Me neither and the thing is - he's said it before. Can't remember what tourny, but it was before Morace he was critical of the CWNT's style of play, to which (I think it was Sinclair) said what has the Men's team done lately - and the long post there was essentially what he said - the men's competition is far greater than the women's.

I'd be curious to see where we'd be if countries like Argentina, England, France, Italy etc.. started pouring significant money into their women's programs.

Damien
02-15-2011, 12:44 PM
According to MLS Rumors.....

Toronto FC Signs Javier Martina, Elbekay Bouchiba, Nick Soolsma

TFCRegina
02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
SSG isn't as good as some we've had, but she's still good.

Oldtimer
02-15-2011, 12:48 PM

Anything from that site isn't news... like it says it's rumours.

If it's true, it's merely coincidental.

Stryker
02-15-2011, 12:51 PM
I'd be curious to see where we'd be if countries like Argentina, England, France, Italy etc.. started pouring significant money into their women's programs.

Significant? I'd be shocked if we put more money into the womens team than England.

TFCRegina
02-15-2011, 12:54 PM

Gerry Dobson confirms on Twitter.

TFCRegina
02-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Aron Winter Media Scrum, Dated Feb 15, 2011.

It's the 3rd Entry on TFC TV.

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp

CONFIRMS THE SIGNINGS IN THE INTERVIEW

prizby
02-15-2011, 01:04 PM

we also posted this earlier this morning with a link from the article...probably took it off of us

TFCRegina
02-15-2011, 01:04 PM
^ Please see above at the Interview.

Pigfynn
02-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Aron Winter Media Scrum, Dated Feb 15, 2011.

It's the 3rd Entry on TFC TV.

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp

CONFIRMS THE SIGNINGS IN THE INTERVIEW

Amazing just how much info you can get in 4+ minutes when someone from the club just gets on camera and speaks!

Fort York Redcoat
02-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Well for one you don't see a large number of women deciding to play for other countries, so the loyalty factor alone counts for something.

Another thing is the fact that although there aren't alot of superpower countries in womens national soccer, the women can beat every single one of them. The CMNT can't even hold there own againest the little fish of the national men's teams.

Lastly look at Brazil as competition. They're a top three to five country in both mens and womens. Could the canadian womens team beat Brazil? Absolutely. Mens? Not a snowballs chance in hell.

See now we both have the same information and think exactly opposite.

You say it's commendable that the girls are loyal to a team that's second or third out of a dozen teams. The real difference between the 2 teams is that the temptation for these girls to be disloyal is near nil.

But plenty of Canadians prefer being big fish in little sports worldwide. Just look at hockey.

I don't prescribe throwing as much money(as the mens program) into a lesser venture(Womens World Cup).

Redcoe15
02-15-2011, 02:00 PM
ssg is only 24? yeah right
Switch the digits around in that age number and you might be closer to the truth. Still very nice, all things considered.

Alonso
02-15-2011, 02:12 PM
I love this team to an obsessive, self-destructive level....

but if games are begin played in February weather (like the weather outside today)...
You'll find me at joe's, shouting at the TV and sipping on a hot bowl of soup.

Exactly, and I don't think its fair to ask players to play in -20 C weather, its simply not possible or realistic.

oxygenatedbrain
02-15-2011, 02:24 PM
We're in for the Veeder lottery.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/four-mls-clubs-participate-korey-veeder-lottery

Lucky Strike
02-15-2011, 02:41 PM

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/four-mls-clubs-participate-korey-veeder-lottery

Toronto FC (http://www.torontofc.ca/) (45.52 percent) will have the best chance at acquiring the US Under-20 prospect followed by the Seattle Sounders (http://www.soundersfc.com/) (24.83 percent), the Columbus Crew (http://www.thecrew.com/) (19.31 percent) and the Colorado Rapids (http://www.coloradorapids.com/) (10.34 percent).

So basically a coin flip for us.

MG42
02-15-2011, 03:13 PM

It says it will take place today at 2:30 et, but no news yet?

TFCRegina
02-15-2011, 03:27 PM
From the scrum with De Rosario, it sounds like things are settling down with the contract issue and the dialogue between the FO and the players is going to be a bit more amicable this time around. No Mo Johnston bullshit.

dantdot
02-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Mysterious lottery is mysterious. It's been an hour and nothing.

Lucky Strike
02-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Mysterious lottery is mysterious. It's been an hour and nothing.
I went over the article again and it doesn't specify a date. I mean, the article was written today the 15th so no mention of another date would seem to imply that it's today, but you never know, maybe it's an oversight.

dantdot
02-15-2011, 04:33 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/crew-land-right-back-korey-veeder-player-lottery

Crew got him.

Ron Manager
02-15-2011, 04:55 PM
That's fine, better we choose our players than have the honour if having them put upon us from on high. Lottery system is stupid, so is the draft but that's another topic.

Lucky Strike
02-15-2011, 04:58 PM
That's fine, better we choose our players than have the honour if having them put upon us from on high. Lottery system is stupid, so is the draft but that's another topic.

Only four teams were in the lottery actually, leading me to believe teams could enter if they so wished and were interested in the player being raffled off. A few teams were excluded by default because they won previous lotteries but about 10 teams chose not to enter.

Petor
02-15-2011, 06:51 PM
New Toronto FC coach wins praise by players

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/939383--new-toronto-fc-coach-wins-praise-by-players