PDA

View Full Version : TSN - MLS Broadcast Schedule Released...

Carts
02-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Here's TSN's MLS games for the upcoming season...

March
Saturday, March 19 Toronto @ Vancouver 6pm/3pm TSN
Saturday, March 26 Portland @ Toronto 1:30pm/10:30am TSN

April
Friday, April 1 Dallas @ Columbus 7:30pm/4:30pm TSN2
Saturday, April 2 Chivas @ Toronto 1pm/10am TSN
Wednesday, April 6 New England @ Vancouver 10pm/7pm TSN

May
Saturday, May 28 New York @ Vancouver 7pm/4pm TSN2

June
Friday, June 3 DC United @ Los Angeles 11pm/8pm TSN2
Saturday, June 4 Kansas City @ Toronto 7pm/4pm TSN
Thursday, June 9 Chicago @ Kansas City 10pm/7pm TSN2
Friday, June 10 New England @ New York 10:30pm/7:30pm TSN
Saturday, June 11 Vancouver @ Seattle 10pm/7pm TSN2
Wednesday, June 15 Toronto @ New England 8pm/5pm TSN
Friday, June 17 San Jose @ Kansas City 10:30pm/7:30pm TSN2
Thursday, June 23 New York @ Seattle 10pm/7pm TSN2
Saturday, June 25 Vancouver @ Kansas City 8:30pm/5:30pm TSN
Saturday, June 25 Los Angeles @ San Jose 11pm/8pm TSN2
Sunday, June 26 New York @ Chicago 2pm/11am TSN2
Wednesday, June 29 Vancouver @ Toronto 7:30pm/4:30pm TSN

July
Saturday, July 2 Philadelphia @ DC United 7pm/4pm TSN2
Saturday, July 2 New York @ San Jose 10:30pm/7:30pm TSN2
Monday, July 4 New England @ Real Salt Lake 8:30pm/5:30pm TSN
Monday, July 4 Seattle @ Los Angeles 10:30pm/7:30pm TSN
Wednesday, July 6 Toronto @ New York 8pm/5pm TSN
Wednesday, July 6 Columbus @ Vancouver 10pm/7pm TSN
Wednesday, July 20 Dallas @ Toronto 8pm/5pm TSN
Wednesday, July 20 Vancouver @ San Jose 10:30pm/7:30pm TSN
Wednesday, July 27 MLS All Star Game 8:30pm/5:30pm TSN
Friday, July 29 Colorado @ Philadelphia 7:30pm/4:30pm TSN2
Saturday, July 30 Los Angeles @ Vancouver 7:30pm/4:30pm TSN

August
Friday, Aug. 5 Columbus @ Colorado 9:30pm/6:30pm TSN2
Saturday, Aug. 6 Toronto @ D.C. 7:30pm/4:30pm TSN
Saturday, Aug. 13 Los Angeles @ Kansas City 8:30pm/5:30pm TSN2
Thursday, Aug. 18 DC United @ Chicago 9pm/6pm TSN2
Saturday, Aug. 20 Vancouver @ Portland 10pm/7pm TSN
Saturday, Aug. 27 Houston @ Vancouver 7pm/4pm TSN2
Saturday, Aug. 27 Real Salt Lake @ Chivas USA 10:30pm/7:30pm TSN2
Sunday, Aug. 28 Los Angeles @ New York 7pm/4pm TSN

September
Friday, Sept. 9 Colorado @ Los Angeles 11pm/8pm TSN2
Friday, Sept. 16 New England @ Portland 11pm/8pm TSN2
Saturday, Sept. 17 Colorado @ Toronto 7:30pm/4:30pm TSN
Friday, Sept. 23 Philadelphia @ Kansas City 10:30pm/7:30pm TSN2
Saturday, Sept. 24 Seattle @ Vancouver 7:30pm/4:30pm TSN
Thursday, Sept. 29 DC United @ Philadelphia 8pm/5pm TSN2

October
Saturday, Oct. 1 New York @ Toronto 7:30pm/4:30pm TSN
Sunday, Oct. 2 Portland @ Vancouver 4:30pm/1:30pm TSN2
Friday, Oct. 14 Real Salt Lake @ Colorado 10:30pm/7:30pm TSN2
Saturday, Oct. 15 Toronto @ Philadelphia 4pm/1pm TSN
Sunday, Oct. 16 Chivas USA @ Los Angeles 9pm/6pm TSN2
Thursday, Oct. 20 Philadelphia @ New York 8pm/5pm TSN2
Saturday, Oct. 22 New England @ Toronto 12:30pm/9:30am TSN

November
Sunday, Nov. 20 MLS Cup 9pm/6pm TSN2

TFC/Everton
02-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Please tell me the rest of the games wont be on GolTV?

Carts
02-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Please tell me the rest of the games wont be on GolTV?

These are just National games, no regional games are included...

Last season SportsNet had a lineup of regional matches on SportsNet Ontario...

Petor
02-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Yay! No TSN2 for TFC games, they are all on TSN!!! :flare::scarf::flare:

Carts
02-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Last Season the breakdown was:
13- CBC
10- SportsNet
7 - GOLTV

Petor
02-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Last Season the breakdown was:
13- CBC
10- SportsNet
7 - GOLTV

So it looks like TSN got CBC's 13 games, I guess the rest remains the same.

***Edit*** Well there are more games this year in MLS, who gets those, more bidding?
I wonder who gets the Voyagers Cup and after that, CONCACAF Champions League matches?

menefreghista
02-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Let's see where the other 21 TFC matches end up before we start celebrating.

But the fact that these 13 games ended up on TSN and not TSN2 is a good thing.

Darlofletch
02-14-2011, 04:31 PM
any idea on who the announcers will be? please not dick howard.

Carts
02-14-2011, 04:32 PM
So it looks like TSN got CBC's 13 games, I guess the rest remains the same.

***Edit*** Well there are more games this year in MLS, who gets those, more bidding?
I wonder who gets the Voyagers Cup and after that, CONCACAF Champions League matches?

These are just the Toronto & Vancouver NATIONAL matches...

Each club still has their regional rights & CCL (whoever owns/sells that?) to sort...

All matches will be televised...

Super Cereal
02-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Nice!

drexel10
02-14-2011, 04:39 PM
another good thing so far is that they will be showing games from other American teams, probably the ESPN game of the week one in a while.

LittleOzzy
02-14-2011, 04:50 PM
I guess we should have waited before bitching that all the games would end up on TSN2

menefreghista
02-14-2011, 05:27 PM
I guess we should have waited before bitching that all the games would end up on TSN2

A lot of them still might end up there.

We only know where 13 of the 34 MLS matches will be shown.

Wagner
02-14-2011, 05:33 PM
i like this.

TSN has a certain "gloss" to it that the other networks don't have.

thanks Carts!!

Shway
02-14-2011, 05:40 PM
will the matches be broadcasted in HD?....

Shway
02-14-2011, 05:47 PM
any idea on who the announcers will be? please not dick howard.

the day i hear Tommy Smyth or Ray Hudson commentating MLS games...
commentating is missing personality...especially when Gerry Dobson makes constant mistakes "Pass to rickets on the flank,......sorry my mistake its lindsay"

Oldtimer
02-14-2011, 05:58 PM
will the matches be broadcasted in HD?....

I believe that is the case, based on what was said earlier.

Oldtimer
02-14-2011, 06:05 PM
“As we have seen with the success of Toronto FC and MLS’s expansion to Vancouver and Montreal, there is an incredible appetite for professional soccer in Canada,” said Stewart Johnston, President of TSN. “This is a long term partnership with MLS and we are looking forward to working with them not only give fans ‘best in class’ game coverage but also to help build the profile of the league and grow the game of soccer across the country.”

Looks like they want to do for MLS what they did for the CFL.

Red CB Toronto
02-14-2011, 06:08 PM
It will be interesting to see if GOL could even show the regional games as they are a national service.

It will be interesting to see how the local regional tv territories are broken up, in the NHL some Leafs games are only shown within a area of about 50 miles surround Toronto.

ensco
02-14-2011, 06:24 PM
This is remarkable. There will be a significant move in TFC ratings this year. Wow.

LittleOzzy
02-14-2011, 06:34 PM
It will be interesting to see if GOL could even show the regional games as they are a national service.

It will be interesting to see how the local regional tv territories are broken up, in the NHL some Leafs games are only shown within a area of about 50 miles surround Toronto.

TFC doesn't have another MLS franchise to worry about in the East so I'm guessing they will have the whole province of Ontario right out to the East coast until Montreal joins next season.

Next season TFC will likely only have Ontario, but that's good enough.

Red CB Toronto
02-14-2011, 06:43 PM
TFC doesn't have another MLS franchise to worry about in the East so I'm guessing they will have the whole province of Ontario right out to the East coast until Montreal joins next season.

Well Sports Net Ontario would work fine then, but GOL could be an issue unless they use postal codes to black out certain areas of the country.

TFC USA
02-14-2011, 07:46 PM
This is fantastic.

*Turns on TV*

Fuck. Now I see why people hate America. :(

boban
02-14-2011, 08:30 PM

Still leaves CBC in the mix. I like their broadcast to Sportsnet.

canadian_bhoy
02-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Nigel Reed + Vic Router = Legion of Awesomeness.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/324578_f260.jpg

ForestGlade
02-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Am I the only one that noticed they moved the time of the game vs Philly to 4pm, the same day of the UEFA Champions League final?

nfitz
02-14-2011, 09:54 PM
TSN has a certain "gloss" to it that the other networks don't have.In Soccer coverage? Seems pretty cheap to me ... don't even have their own commentators ... all broadcasts seem foreign-sourced. I'm not even aware of a single Canadian soccer show on TSN.

nfitz
02-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Am I the only one that noticed they moved the time of the game vs Philly to 4pm, the same day of the UEFA Champions League final?Presumably TSN wanted this, so it doesn't conflict with TSN's broadcast of the Vancouver game ... and perhaps it would with the Champions League on another channel :)

TFCDP
02-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Not sure if I missed something.... Is Nigel Reed doing the tsn games this year?

babone
02-14-2011, 10:53 PM
I wonder how much $$$$ TSN paid and how the $$$$ get split?

drexel10
02-15-2011, 12:32 PM
So this is why the TSN deal isn't great for some.

If you cyrrently have an HD box and basic cable (with Rogers) you pay $31.

Now you can add goal for $2.95, but when you try and add TSN, they won't let you.

You have tpo jump to the $47 package and then pay an addidtional $10 for the TSN package.

So for some people the tsn switch will theoretically cost them $360 per year.

Just got off the phone with Rogers.

rocker
02-15-2011, 12:58 PM
I wonder how much $$$$ TSN paid and how the $$$$ get split?

it'll be interesting to see if the numbers ever get leaked. Don't we have a Red Patch Boy who works for TSN!??!

if MLS turns out to be a ratings success, I wonder if this could be quite a big deal for MLS and perhaps better, on a per team basis, than they get for the American deal (3 teams versus 16 teams).

TFC was getting about 140-150K in ratings on CBC. If they can double or triple that with TFC-VAN and later TFC-MTL games, I think that would be pretty damn good for TSN.

The key is whether they'll put in the effort they put in for the CFL. If they give it CFL treatment, watch out, it could be huge.

Redcoe15
02-15-2011, 01:57 PM
it'll be interesting to see if the numbers ever get leaked. Don't we have a Red Patch Boy who works for TSN!??!

if MLS turns out to be a ratings success, I wonder if this could be quite a big deal for MLS and perhaps better, on a per team basis, than they get for the American deal (3 teams versus 16 teams).

TFC was getting about 140-150K in ratings on CBC. If they can double or triple that with TFC-VAN and later TFC-MTL games, I think that would be pretty damn good for TSN.

The key is whether they'll put in the effort they put in for the CFL. If they give it CFL treatment, watch out, it could be huge.
The fact that the vast majority of the games are on the main TSN network (21 on TSN, 4 on TSN2) is a very good sign. I'd like to know who's going to be doing the play-by-play of the games.

TFC14
02-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Glad to see their on TSN and not TS2. I feel like TSN will add some production value to the game which was largely missing on Sportsnet. It felt like sportsnet didn't at all have a "professional" feel to the games they broadcasted.

LittleOzzy
02-15-2011, 02:32 PM
It's so weird to think next year in Canada that 108+ games will be available on TV.

I really hope TFC and Vancouver do well on TSN this season to make sure they continue to be shown nationally.

Any rumours out there about who may be picking up the regional games?

ManUtd4ever
02-15-2011, 03:35 PM
I hope this official TSN announcement lays any worries to rest regarding their level of motivation towards providing first class broadcasts and maximum exposure for Canadian MLS clubs.

leafsman
02-15-2011, 03:46 PM
i assume the anaylsts will be vic rauter and that englishman? they are brutal

GuelphStorm2007
02-15-2011, 04:23 PM
I am hoping TSN will do the same they do for CFL, WJHC, and Curling if so watch out.

boban
02-15-2011, 05:15 PM
I hope this official TSN announcement lays any worries to rest regarding their level of motivation towards providing first class broadcasts and maximum exposure for Canadian MLS clubs.
Their level of motivation is for themselves, not for the game. Make no mistake.
If it were then they would have been in on the ground floor, which they weren't.

ManUtd4ever
02-15-2011, 06:39 PM
If it were then they would have been in on the ground floor, which they weren't.

Who cares? The end result will still be beneficial to Canadian soccer fans across the country.

LittleOzzy
02-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Who cares? The end result will still be beneficial to Canadian soccer fans across the country.

Exactly!

This 6 year deal hopefully turns into a Win Win for both parties.

TFCDP
02-16-2011, 12:37 AM
i assume the anaylsts will be vic rauter and that englishman? they are brutal

Thats what I've been wondering... Not a big fan of Rauter but don't really mind Reed... Anyone but Dobson is good with me.

Shakes McQueen
02-16-2011, 01:49 AM

You mean to tell me that corporations are primarily motivated by their own bottom line? You take that back.

I'm looking for a network that will give TFC the level of coverage I want. Their motivation is irrelevant.

- Scott

babone
02-16-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm thing a 6 Year deal must be tied to rating = more money. No way they do the deal at a fixed cost.

Captain
02-16-2011, 04:01 PM
I just received an e-mail from TFC detailing the dates for my partial pack. The schedule also shows what network is carrying each game, whether it be TSN, TSN2, MLS or Non TV. What the heck is Non TV? What network is that? I work in the media industry and I can't figure it out. Does it mean non, as in none, as in not on TV? Or have they just not settle the schedule yet with the broadcasters. Or maybe I'm just an idiot and missing the obvious here.

menefreghista
02-16-2011, 04:05 PM
LOL. I think it just means they don't know who's broadcasting it yet.

Brooker
02-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Pierre McGuire doing the games I heard.... MONSTER!

Red CB Toronto
02-16-2011, 07:26 PM
The regional/local deal for Toronto FC has not been done yet, depending on how the Reds broadcast territory is laid out will dictate what channels they can do a deal with.

Code Red
02-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Vic Rauter is the Pierre McGuire of hockey. If he's commentating, then God help us all. Bring in Nigel Reed please!

On the positive side, TSN taking over seems like a step forward for not only TFC but soccer coverage in Canada.

Blowing Bubbles
02-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Really curious who the announce team is going to be. If TSN really steps up and gets a great pair of commentators I will be on the bandwagon.

I would prefer if we don't get the current crop of characters - Nigel/Luke/Gerry. Seattle hired Arlo White from the BBC ....... not saying we need a Brit or anything, but TFC has the means to get someone in (Canadian or foreign) who will be proper caliber for this type of job.

TSN got Cuthbert from CBC as soon as they won Grey Cup rights as he is the voice of the CFL. Hoping they step up like that and give MLS the proper buildup.

Code Red
02-17-2011, 02:19 PM
We need commentators who get excited about goals... such as this:

ZkIGO2UA-u8

Alright maybe not that excited, but at least something close to it. :D

Carts
02-17-2011, 02:21 PM

ZkIGO2UA-u8

I'm sorry - I HATE THAT WITH A FIERY PASSION...

Never, never, never understood the love affair with that way of calling a goal...

Carts...

Blowing Bubbles
02-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Vic Rauter is the Pierre McGuire of hockey.

question - are you serious?

That has to be the most retarded analogy you could possible come up with, so I'm hoping you're just joking around.

Code Red
02-17-2011, 05:22 PM
question - are you serious?

That has to be the most retarded analogy you could possible come up with, so I'm hoping you're just joking around.

How exactly is it a retarded analogy? BOTH are BRUTAL in the commentary field in their respective roles (Vic Rauter in soccer and Pierre McGuire in hockey).

I suppose you're a Vic Rauter or Pierre McGuire fan? Sorry to offend you but most people would agree, these guys suck balls when it comes to commentary.

kodiakTFC
02-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Vic Rauter is the Pierre McGuire of hockey. If he's commentating, then God help us all. Bring in Nigel Reed please!

On the positive side, TSN taking over seems like a step forward for not only TFC but soccer coverage in Canada.

The other guy is right, you laid out the analogy wrong. You meant to say..

Vic Rauter is the Pierre McGuire of soccer.

I don't agree or disagree, just pointing it out.

Code Red
02-17-2011, 08:57 PM
The other guy is right, you laid out the analogy wrong. You meant to say..

Vic Rauter is the Pierre McGuire of soccer.

I don't agree or disagree, just pointing it out.

Ahhh in that case, yes, that is what I meant.

Blowing Bubbles
02-17-2011, 09:21 PM
How exactly is it a retarded analogy? BOTH are BRUTAL in the commentary field in their respective roles (Vic Rauter in soccer and Pierre McGuire in hockey).

I suppose you're a Vic Rauter or Pierre McGuire fan? Sorry to offend you but most people would agree, these guys suck balls when it comes to commentary.

Vic Rauter is a studio host / play by play guy. To do this job well you need to have a charismatic personality and be able to announce names properly. You don't need to know the sport. In fact it's probably better if you don't know anything about the sport and playing dumb rather than trying to fake knowledge. The best guys for this, ie. Al Michaels, Marv Albert could be announcers from anything from horseshoes to lawn bowling to football to figure skating and they'd do a damm good job.

McGuire is a colour commentator during games. His job is to provide insight into what is happening during play and why it is happening and to compliment the play by play. This job is usually done by formers players and coaches (PM former coach).

They do COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FUCKING JOBS.

That they suck at both jobs is your opinion, not fact. I don't like Pierre's style but considering the guy makes over a million bucks a year calling games for TSN & NBC, he has to have a pretty big fanbase. If "most people" thought he sucked balls he'd have been let go by now.

Code Red
02-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Vic Rauter is a studio host / play by play guy. To do this job well you need to have a charismatic personality and be able to announce names properly. You don't need to know the sport. In fact it's probably better if you don't know anything about the sport and playing dumb rather than trying to fake knowledge. The best guys for this, ie. Al Michaels, Marv Albert could be announcers from anything from horseshoes to lawn bowling to football to figure skating and they'd do a damm good job.

McGuire is a colour commentator during games. His job is to provide insight into what is happening during play and why it is happening and to compliment the play by play. This job is usually done by formers players and coaches (PM former coach).

They do COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FUCKING JOBS.

That they suck at both jobs is your opinion, not fact. I don't like Pierre's style but considering the guy makes over a million bucks a year calling games for TSN & NBC, he has to have a pretty big fanbase. If "most people" thought he sucked balls he'd have been let go by now.

I completely disagree with you. To be a commentator, you SHOULD know your stuff and you should know it damn well. Do you think a guy with no trades experience should be fixing things? ie. A sales rep fixing elevators? Probably not a good idea right? Then why on earth should a guy who is in the business of providing knowledgable comments on the game be uninformed? What your saying makes absolutely no sense.

As for Rauter and McGuire doing different jobs, no **** Sherlock, but they are in the same industry nevertheless. That one guy does colour commentary and the other play by play is irrelevant. In my opinion they aren't quality commentators, regardless whether one does this or the other type of commentary. As for being let go, that's entirely up to the wigheads at TSN. I'm simply not a fan of theirs, plain and simple.

Oldtimer
02-18-2011, 05:16 AM
Former coaches and players are best for colour. Ray Hudson (if you can understand his accent) is one I really like. I like De Vos, although he's a little bland. Nigel is quite knowledgeable as a play-by-play announcer, but he sometimes gets his players wrong (not so good for play-by-play). I haven't heard a really great play-by-play announcer in North America, an import may be needed.

Shakes McQueen
02-18-2011, 08:54 AM
I completely disagree with you. To be a commentator, you SHOULD know your stuff and you should know it damn well. Do you think a guy with no trades experience should be fixing things? ie. A sales rep fixing elevators? Probably not a good idea right? Then why on earth should a guy who is in the business of providing knowledgable comments on the game be uninformed? What your saying makes absolutely no sense.

As for Rauter and McGuire doing different jobs, no **** Sherlock, but they are in the same industry nevertheless. That one guy does colour commentary and the other play by play is irrelevant. In my opinion they aren't quality commentators, regardless whether one does this or the other type of commentary. As for being let go, that's entirely up to the wigheads at TSN. I'm simply not a fan of theirs, plain and simple.

You don't need to be steeped in the footballing world to do play-by-play commentary. As long as you've got a decent voice, can follow the play, and get the names right, you're set. Nigel Reed is loved by the fans, and even he frequently gets player names wrong. Al Michaels has done a great job of hockey play-by-play before, despite not being a hockey guy.

McGuire's job is completely different as a colour guy. His job is to give analysis of what's going on, not just state the facts of what is going on, and offer some amiable banter.

I'm not a massive Vic Rauter fan (and I can't stand Pierre), but I'd be willing to give him a shot in the PbP role.

- Scott

GBV
02-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Vic Rauter ain't the Master of Verbosity like Pierre is.

rocker
02-18-2011, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't have Rauter for play by play, but he's fine as an in-studio host.

But comparing him to Maguire? No way. Maguire is in a "league of his own" (and not in the positive sense!). Maguire talks too much and is too animated and crazy. It's like he's on some crazy drugs all the time.

drexel10
02-18-2011, 04:18 PM
March 19th

Kaberle returns to play against the Leafs.

Oh ya TFC and Vancouver play at the same time.

What will TSN be talking about for the entire week leading into the game.

Not sure why this game wasn't schedule earlier in the day.

leafsman
02-18-2011, 04:26 PM
never looked at the time till now thanks, why would they schedule a game against hockey night in canada

Mulder
02-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Hate to be a bugger, but had to be pointed out. CFL Schedule released last week

Sat Sep 17 BC AT Calgary 07:00 PM EST TSN

Sat Oct 01 Hamilton Toronto 07:00 PM TSN

Both CFL games are the second of a double header.

Redcoe15
02-22-2011, 12:21 PM
^^ :skep: Huh?

David_Oliveira
02-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Hate to be a bugger, but had to be pointed out. CFL Schedule released last week

Sat Sep 17 BC AT Calgary 07:00 PM EST TSN

Sat Oct 01 Hamilton Toronto 07:00 PM TSN

Both CFL games are the second of a double header.

Colorado Toronto shown in Ontario regionally and the New York Toronto on TSN2. I was under the impression that some games would go regionally. Also the games could be broadcast on another channel.

Mulder
02-22-2011, 12:23 PM
^^ :skep: Huh?

CFL games in conflict with MLS games for broadcast on TSN.

Fort York Redcoat
02-22-2011, 01:15 PM
And now it happens. Direct competition. This contract should be interesting.

LittleOzzy
02-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Any word yet on the regional games and who is picking them up?

I'm hoping for no more GolTV games.

Fort York Redcoat
02-22-2011, 01:57 PM
^I think I"d rather hope for better broadcasts on Gol than none at all. It's the only footie specific channel we have. I'm in full support of that.

prizby
02-26-2011, 09:26 AM
bets on how many games tsn will tape delay

they do this to CIS Basketball and won't even stream it online or let SSN Canada do so

Carts
02-26-2011, 10:31 AM
bets on how many games tsn will tape delay

they do this to CIS Basketball and won't even stream it online or let SSN Canada do so

None.

boban
02-26-2011, 07:14 PM
^I think I"d rather hope for better broadcasts on Gol than none at all. It's the only footie specific channel we have. I'm in full support of that.
Fuck that.
Get it out on channels that people actually watch and have more access to (CBC, RSN).

nfitz
02-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Fuck that.
Get it out on channels that people actually watch and have more access to (CBC, RSN).We have more access to GOL TV than TSN. When I went to add GOL TV they told me it would ony be about $2.69 a month ... about $33 a year.

When I asked to add TSN, Rogers told me it would be over $500 a year.

TFCRegina
02-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Fucking awful. Guess I'll be finding a stream on the net.

boban
02-27-2011, 02:49 PM
We have more access to GOL TV than TSN. When I went to add GOL TV they told me it would ony be about $2.69 a month ... about $33 a year.

Guess what, it cost nothing to add CBC and minimal for RSN. Which is what I was talking about for the remaining games.

sulfur
03-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Sportsnet just announced that they're carrying 20 Whitecaps games this year -- which looks to be all of the ones TSN isn't carrying.

Alonso
03-03-2011, 06:22 PM

ZkIGO2UA-u8

That guy actually covered a TFC game once vs FC Dallas which I watched when I had the MLS Live Stream a few years back. I believe we won 4 nothing and it was alot of fun to watch with his broadcast comentating for sure. I think (don't hold me to it) he does Spanish commentating for Telefutura in the US.

Alonso
03-03-2011, 06:37 PM
We have more access to GOL TV than TSN. When I went to add GOL TV they told me it would ony be about $2.69 a month ... about $33 a year.

Take your digital box back, pay rogers for basic cable only (up to channel 29) $30.

They'll come by and put a filter on your line just outside your house.

When the cable guy leaves you go outside and take the filter off (its easy), bam!

You got channels 2 - 77 for $30 a month and TSN!

Red CB Toronto
03-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Take your digital box back, pay rogers for basic cable only (up to channel 29) $30.

When the cable guy leaves you go outside and take the filter off (its easy), bam!

You got channels 2 - 77 for $30 a month and TSN!

How do you take the filter off if you live in an apartment. Just curious ( :

LittleOzzy
03-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Sportsnet just announced that they're carrying 20 Whitecaps games this year -- which looks to be all of the ones TSN isn't carrying.

I wonder if they will be regionally blocked in Ontario?

David_Oliveira
03-03-2011, 07:48 PM
How do you take the filter off if you live in an apartment. Just curious ( :

check your pm ;)

Alonso
03-03-2011, 08:06 PM
check your pm ;)

^^^^ hehehe

nfitz
03-03-2011, 09:13 PM

You got channels 2 - 77 for $30 a month and TSN!Pretty useless ... no Gol TV. No HD. No PVR. No programme guide. No Setanta. And no channels at all once Rogers dumps more analogue channels.

Why not save money on gasoline instead, by driving away without paying? Both are equally criminal.

Alonso
03-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Oh boy.

Redcoe15
03-04-2011, 03:05 AM
With just two weeks to go before TFC's season starts, does anyone have ANY idea as to who's calling the games from the booth?

arbogast
03-10-2011, 11:14 AM
With just two weeks to go before TFC's season starts, does anyone have ANY idea as to who's calling the games from the booth?

it was leaked on TSN last night that it's Wileman and De Vos:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1328-MLS-on-TSN-has-its-voice

Darlofletch
03-10-2011, 11:31 AM

excellent news. I'm now officially looking forward to us being on TSN.

Alixir
03-10-2011, 11:33 AM
I just saw a Vancouver vs TFC commercial on TSN....at least they have started pumping the support out, which is a good thing.

rocker
03-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Good to hear. Wileman is better than Reed. DeVos is very good (I've gotten over my aversion to his high voice).

btw, I've always loved Wileman's "announcer voice" when he does voiceovers. He doesn't call games in that voice, but it sounds really cool in ads.

Alixir
03-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Good to hear. Wileman is better than Reed. DeVos is very good (I've gotten over my aversion to his high voice).

btw, I've always loved Wileman's "announcer voice" when he does voiceovers. He doesn't call games in that voice, but it sounds really cool in ads.As long as Forrest is no where near the broadcast booth I am happy.,

rocker
03-10-2011, 11:37 AM
As long as Forrest is no where near the broadcast booth I am happy.,

Ya Forrest gets really whiny. When he gets into that mode, his voice and demeanour is hard to take.

Cas87
03-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Isn't TSN suppose to have Pre-, Half, and Post- shows under their deal now with TFC/VAN/MLS?

I remember that Vic had Jimmy with him a couple of Champions League days. Wouldn't it be great if they had Jimmy and Dichio alternate (when they aren't leading the academy in tournaments)

Carts
03-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Isn't TSN suppose to have Pre-, Half, and Post- shows under their deal now with TFC/VAN/MLS?

I remember that Vic had Jimmy with him a couple of Champions League days. Wouldn't it be great if they had Jimmy and Dichio alternate (when they aren't leading the academy in tournaments)

There is a 30-minute pre-game broadcast scheduled for March 19th to begin at 6pm - immediately following SportsCentre...

As for Brennan/Dichio alternating, you must remember, this is a national broadcast (not an Ontario region broadcast) - so an all-TFC analyst team isn't really prudent...

Carts...

BayernTFC
03-10-2011, 12:42 PM

Ugh. Colour commentary. Do viewers really need DeVos to tell them what to think?

boban
03-10-2011, 03:12 PM
here's the release.....

http://ctvmedia.ca/tsn/releases/release.asp?id=13572&yyyy=2011

Also, Perry Solkowski hosts the pre-game. Not Vic. Bit of a shame.

ManUtd4ever
03-10-2011, 03:15 PM

Awesome. They would have been my first choice anyway...

ilikemusic
03-10-2011, 05:54 PM

Theyre about to be on Off The Record's final segment thing.

Serb_Star
03-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Off the Record? how is that show not cancelled yet.

bdiddy
03-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Maybe this has been posted already, but is there any news about other broadcasters picking up the rest of the TFC games?

LittleOzzy
03-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Maybe this has been posted already, but is there any news about other broadcasters picking up the rest of the TFC games?

Nothing yet.

nfitz
03-10-2011, 06:36 PM
During the the on-line blog last night Asif said they were all going to be televised, but he couldn't reveal details.

The irony is I expect everyone in the industry already knows ...

drexel10
03-11-2011, 08:43 AM
TSN promo commercial for the Vancouver game is very good. That is nice to see.

Ryan1984
03-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Looks like TSN/TSN2 has added a bunch of other games to there schedule involving other MLS Teams.

http://tsn.ca/soccer/mls/feature/?id=38029

Ryan1984
03-24-2011, 07:51 PM
a total of about 51 games including all star and MLS Cup which is November 20th according to TSN

LittleOzzy
03-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Wow that is a ton of games.

TSN may have waited to get into MLS soccer, but they sure are doing it right.

Once TSN commits they go full throttle.

drexel10
03-24-2011, 09:39 PM
That is truly incredible. I am surprised at how many different teams and games they are showing. 3 games in KC in June!! I want to check out their stadium, but that is almost shocking. Maybe Ochocinco is signing :) or they too like the boon boo rey!

LittleOzzy
03-26-2011, 03:03 PM
do we have a thread on this forum where we can discuss the other games going on around the league?

TFCRegina
03-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Gotta say I'm extremely happy with MLS on TSN. Fantastic job.

Redcoe15
03-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Anyone watching the Philadelphia-Vancouver match on Sportsnet One right now?

LittleOzzy
03-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Anyone watching the Philadelphia-Vancouver match on Sportsnet One right now?

Sure am.

Martin Nash is very hard to listen to.

Redcoe15
03-26-2011, 03:17 PM
^^ Definetly!

boban
03-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Gotta say I'm extremely happy with MLS on TSN. Fantastic job.
Are you rocked? What have they done?
The feed always cuts out, not 1 second of post game, and they add nothing to in game or pregame production.
Plus they fuck around with the schedule with game time allover the map.

Gazza
03-26-2011, 03:20 PM
TSN's broadcast made Gol TV seem like a top notch outfit.

TFCRegina
03-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Are you rocked? What have they done?
The feed always cuts out, not 1 second of post game, and they add nothing to in game or pregame production.
Plus they fuck around with the schedule with game time allover the map.

Ah yes, because I don't meet with the all-mighty Boban's feelings, I must be wrong.

Yes, the first half cut out a bit, it was fixed by the 2nd. Shit happens. Happened all the time on CBC actually. I felt the production values were quality otherwise. Over time, things will get better.

boban
03-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Ah yes, because I don't meet with the all-mighty Boban's feelings, I must be wrong.

Yes, the first half cut out a bit, it was fixed by the 2nd. Shit happens. Happened all the time on CBC actually. I felt the production values were quality otherwise. Over time, things will get better.
I'm not saying they are horrible. But they sure don't warrant praise.
They haven't done anything extra to add value.

KRO
03-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Has a full TFC broadcast schedule been released? I know what games TSN are covering but what about GOL and Sportsnet? I'm specifically interested in the DC game on April 16 as I am going away for a couple of weeks and want to set up the PVR before I leave.

menefreghista
03-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Has a full TFC broadcast schedule been released? I know what games TSN are covering but what about GOL and Sportsnet? I'm specifically interested in the DC game on April 16 as I am going away for a couple of weeks and want to set up the PVR before I leave.

13 MLS games on TSN
21 MLS games on Gol TV

Sportsnet is covering the Voyageurs Cup.

Carts
03-30-2011, 08:40 AM
13 MLS games on TSN
21 MLS games on Gol TV

Sportsnet is covering the Voyageurs Cup.

I assume you meant to say 13 Toronto FC games...

TSN & TSN2 are showing 44 MLS games... (22 on each)...

Carts...

Full schedule is here...
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/feature/?id=38029

Carts
03-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Here's the TSN schedule for those interested...

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

KRO
03-30-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks - I thought Sportsnet was covering some MLS games but this tells me that if it's not on TSN it's on Gol.

menefreghista
03-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks - I thought Sportsnet was covering some MLS games but this tells me that if it's not on TSN it's on Gol.

Sportsnet is covering Whitecap games that aren't on TSN.

TFC didn't want to give any games to CBC or Sportsnet despite interest. They would rather hide them on Gol TV.

Carts
03-30-2011, 09:46 AM

There's alot more matches you can watch in this region...

SportsNet One National has 9-10 Whitecaps matches that will be available coast-to-coast (aka you'll be able to watch them here in Toronto area)...

NCC Matches are on SportsNet Pacific and East - so those also will be available in this area as well...

SportsNet Pacific has the remaining matches for Vancouver. I'm not sure if the MLS will have a regional blackout for those matches (like when a Canucks game for example is on) so those as well could be available here in Ontario...

In this region we're looking at approximately 80-games available (between TSN, TSN2, SportsNet One, GOL tv) which include TFC Matches, Vancouver Matches, All-American Matches, All-Star game, MLS Cup, and possibly over 90-matches if SportsNet Pacific is not blacked out here in Ontario...

Should Vancouver or Toronto reach the playoffs, or have a high profile friendly - the number could reach 100-matches...

Its far and away the most exposure the MLS has received since Toronto has entered the league - and the good news is, when Montreal enters next season that number will grow again...

Carts...

menefreghista
03-30-2011, 09:53 AM
There won't be any black outs.

Kudos to MLS and the Canadian MLS teams for not stooping to that level.

LittleOzzy
03-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Considering Vancouver will rarely ever play at the same time as TFC blackouts would make no sense.

I'm so happy with the increased coverage.

Cas87
03-30-2011, 12:23 PM

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

Does anybody know if these are the ESPN games? just wondering because I want to know the level of annoyance I may need to tollerate if I watch these games

Carts
03-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Does anybody know if these are the ESPN games? just wondering because I want to know the level of annoyance I may need to tollerate if I watch these games

The Toronto FC matches and Vancouver Whitecaps matches are TSN Productions...

The All-American matches are ESPN productions (or local)...

Carts...

Blowing Bubbles
03-30-2011, 06:52 PM

ESPN has hired a Brit to call the games and let JP Dellacamera go to FSC. So you shouldn't be annoyed anymore as now ESPN will have the right accent.

Cas87
03-30-2011, 08:17 PM
ESPN has hired a Brit to call the games and let JP Dellacamera go to FSC. So you shouldn't be annoyed anymore as now ESPN will have the right accent.

It wasn't the accent I was worried about. The ESPN MLS guys think they are better than they actually are (like they are part of a club that no on else in North America knew of)

Max Bretos was a good pick up for them off FSC though

Mulder
03-31-2011, 10:18 AM

September

October

September 17th game is now a 1:30 start.

October 1st has moved to TSN2

Serb_Star
05-11-2011, 03:24 PM
TSN's coverage has been amazing, I'm truly overwhelmed by all the exposure they are giving the MLS :D

menefreghista
05-11-2011, 03:26 PM
TSN's coverage has been amazing, I'm truly overwhelmed by all the exposure they are giving the MLS :D

It will be interesting to see how the ratings do now that they will be back from their NHL playoff break.

It will also be interesting to see if 10 straight TFC MLS games on Gol TV hurts TSN's numbers.

Serb_Star
05-11-2011, 03:29 PM
I've watched more Whitecaps games on tv than I have TFC games, which is pretty sad. They need to get back on Sportsnet, TFC is only losing more fans like this.

kodiakTFC
05-11-2011, 04:33 PM
In a perfect world this TSN contract would remain and Sportsnet would pick up our regional games. GolTV can have replays and additional coverage.

SoccMan
05-11-2011, 07:46 PM
I don't understand it, I'm coming home from the Houston game on Saturday night, I have the new TSN 1050 sports radio here in toronto on the car radio, the sports news update comes on they mention the usual sports news, baseball scores, playoff hockey scores,playoff basketball scores even the Toronto Rock gets a mention but no TFC result in the just completed win over Houston, they even had an Argo item in the update but no mention of the TFC score. I don't get it they have the TV rights to MLS but yet don't even mention the TFC win over Houston, please same old crap, soccer is still getting the shaft even though the attendance is still very good, better than the Argos and the Rock but they get a mention but nothing about the TFC game and score please!

Mulder
05-12-2011, 04:09 PM
I don't understand it, I'm coming home from the Houston game on Saturday night, I have the new TSN 1050 sports radio here in toronto on the car radio, the sports news update comes on they mention the usual sports news, baseball scores, playoff hockey scores,playoff basketball scores even the Toronto Rock gets a mention but no TFC result in the just completed win over Houston, they even had an Argo item in the update but no mention of the TFC score. I don't get it they have the TV rights to MLS but yet don't even mention the TFC win over Houston, please same old crap, soccer is still getting the shaft even though the attendance is still very good, better than the Argos and the Rock but they get a mention but nothing about the TFC game and score please!

Please, Argos average attendance was 21,114 in 2010, compared to TFC's 20,453. In a year of uncertainty after two losing seasons and an owner change. They were also only announcing paid attendance, and not freebies. An Argo broadcast also draws upward of 500,000 per game.

The Rock play in a stadium smaller than BMO field, so lower attendance.

SoccMan
05-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Mulder listen, the Argos only play what 8 home games so they average 21,114 so do the math 21,114 X 8 home games = ya do the math, TFC averages 20,453 x about 15 MLS league home games plus another 3 Canadian championship home games plus say 1 exhibition game and now we are up to 19 home games, so 19 x 20,453 = ya do the math and alot more people, way more people went to TFC home games last season than Argo games it's not even close,however, the Argos get so much more media attention than TFC. The Rock average what 13,000 or so a game for what 6 home games, no comparison with TFC's attendance but still they got a mention on TSN Radio 1050 that night but no mention of TFC's victory over Houston last Saturday night on that radio station. Mulder I don't understand your point!

Fort York Redcoat
05-13-2011, 08:27 AM
The point is Mulder wants to promote the relevance of the Argos. He's right saying that they deserve recognition after well over a century of playing in this city and still have more listeners to games.

By the same token our beloved Toronto FC has comparable support in the stands and a growing following on the radio so it behooves the local media to cover it. They best improve the coverage and soon.

Mulder
05-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Mulder listen, the Argos only play what 8 home games so they average 21,114 so do the math 21,114 X 8 home games = ya do the math, TFC averages 20,453 x about 15 MLS league home games plus another 3 Canadian championship home games plus say 1 exhibition game and now we are up to 19 home games, so 19 x 20,453 = ya do the math and alot more people, way more people went to TFC home games last season than Argo games it's not even close,however, the Argos get so much more media attention than TFC. The Rock average what 13,000 or so a game for what 6 home games, no comparison with TFC's attendance but still they got a mention on TSN Radio 1050 that night but no mention of TFC's victory over Houston last Saturday night on that radio station. Mulder I don't understand your point!

Overall attendance is irrelevant, that's why you take averages, so you can compare. Your making up an argument that isn't there, and you know as well as I that the 3 Canadian championship games were well below the "average" attendance.

I love how you didn't even touch the fact the Argos draw very well on T.V. It would almost take 10 tfc games to match 1 argo game for tv ratings. Although we don't know how well tfc is doing on TSN quite yet with only 1 game where ratings were released.

You should pay attention to what happened to the Toronto Rock very close, they were selling out or close to capacity for a while as well....

SoccMan
05-15-2011, 09:46 PM
No Mulder overall attendance does matter, even taking into account that the Canadian championship games where a bit less than the average a decent number of people still attended those games last year, I should know I was at all three of them, let's say the number was 18,000 that's still a good number to add to the overall attendance. The Argos only play 8 home games and they average just a little more than TFC who play close to 20. Sure the TV ratings are much better for the Argos, however, tell me why all those viewers don't find it important enough to spend money and actually buying a ticket and making the Argos some money, because as you saw the last Argo owners lost some good money and they eventually bailed. Like it or not my Argo friend the Argo's are not making money right now but TFC is. The Argo's are not going to make money by averaging around 21000 they need to be over 30,000 to make money when you only play so few home games like they do.

menefreghista
05-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Although we don't know how well tfc is doing on TSN quite yet with only 1 game where ratings were released.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but for ratings, the TFC game v Vancouver was around 200,000 and the game against Chivas was around 85,000 (which is a fairly weak number).

The first NCC game v Edmonton was really pathetic, it had a rating of around 8,000 on Sportsnet.

I'm lead to believe Gol TV doesn't get rated by the people who do ratings for television so we don't really know how well the games are doing there.

But your point that television is important and shouldn't be dismissed is dead on.

Blowing Bubbles
05-15-2011, 10:01 PM
if overall attendance is what matters, are you then in favour of the Toronto Blue Jays occupying 20 out of 24 hours of sports media in this city?

After all, even with their shitty per game attendance, when you multiply it by 81 YOU GET A REALLY BIG NUMBER!

Mulder
05-16-2011, 03:41 PM
No Mulder overall attendance does matter, even taking into account that the Canadian championship games where a bit less than the average a decent number of people still attended those games last year, I should know I was at all three of them, let's say the number was 18,000 that's still a good number to add to the overall attendance. The Argos only play 8 home games and they average just a little more than TFC who play close to 20. Sure the TV ratings are much better for the Argos, however, tell me why all those viewers don't find it important enough to spend money and actually buying a ticket and making the Argos some money, because as you saw the last Argo owners lost some good money and they eventually bailed. Like it or not my Argo friend the Argo's are not making money right now but TFC is. The Argo's are not going to make money by averaging around 21000 they need to be over 30,000 to make money when you only play so few home games like they do.

Again, why are you trying to start something?

Overall attendance is irrelevant when comparing two different sports that play a different amount of games in different stadiums. And this is what your doing, justify your stance by saying more overall people go through the gates.

I'm also going to correct you, there was 9 home games last year, 10 this year including pre-season, one home game was in moncton.

Why don't the viewers find the time to go downtown? I'll start with the top 2 reasons done in a survey the argos did.

1. The team sucked (2008, 2009) 2010 was an unknown.
2. Rogers Centre Security. aka Fun Police.

if overall attendance is what matters, are you then in favour of the Toronto Blue Jays occupying 20 out of 24 hours of sports media in this city?

After all, even with their shitty per game attendance, when you multiply it by 81 YOU GET A REALLY BIG NUMBER!

Thank you.

TFC07
05-16-2011, 04:01 PM
It has been awhile watching a TFC game on TSN.

menefreghista
05-16-2011, 04:04 PM
It has been awhile watching a TFC game on TSN.

You will have to wait until June 4 to be able to do that again.

Blizzard
05-16-2011, 08:38 PM

If you want to discuss the Argos/CFL from a position of strength, it behooves you to know that the league has played an 18 game schedule since 1986 FFS. It doesn't change the argument but c'mon, it's been 25 years!

Just sayin'.

B

werewolf
05-16-2011, 08:48 PM
1. The team sucked (2008, 2009) 2010 was an unknown.
2. Rogers Centre Security. aka Fun Police.

That sounds familiar...toooooo familiar :rofl:

SoccMan
05-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Look I started this just to point out that while coming home from that Houston win a few weeks back, I happened to have the radio on the TSN 1050 all sports station here in Toronto, the sports update comes on and they mention everthing in the update they even have something on the Argos and the Rock but no mention of the TFC win over Houston from a station that has just purchased the rights to the MLS. I found this odd that nothing about TFC's win was mentioned. If people out here see nothing wrong with this then fine by me then. Also in terms of attendance regarding the Argos I see nothing wrong with me stating that they need to be at the 30,000 average mark per game when you only play around 9 home games to make money or at least break even, I have nothing against the Argos I'm just stating a fact, yes they get great tv numbers , numbers TFC can only dream about, however, if they want to come close to making money their attendance per game needs to get much better that's all .

menefreghista
05-18-2011, 09:01 AM
I agree there is something wrong with that.

But that doesn't mean you can easily downplay the Argos.

Fort York Redcoat
05-18-2011, 11:34 AM
You should pay attention to what happened to the Toronto Rock very close, they were selling out or close to capacity for a while as well....

Absolute horseshit Mulder. Comparing the two sports makes you look extremely uninformed. The comparison to attendance is where it ends.

Mulder
05-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Also in terms of attendance regarding the Argos I see nothing wrong with me stating that they need to be at the 30,000 average mark per game when you only play around 9 home games to make money or at least break even, I have nothing against the Argos I'm just stating a fact, yes they get great tv numbers , numbers TFC can only dream about, however, if they want to come close to making money their attendance per game needs to get much better that's all .

I have a problem with the bolded statement, do you have a source for such fact? Or are you making it up as fact? You may see nothing wrong with making up statements and sharing them as facts, but I do.

It's been generally accepted that anywhere between 22,000 - 25,000 breaks even in the CFL. This is why the new stadiums in both Ottawa and Hamilton will max out at this number and Monteral has a stadium that is 25,000. Of course this is lease dependent.

David Braley said when he took over the Argos they were only about 3 years away for profitably, and that they were in far better shape than B.C. was when he bought them.

Absolute horseshit Mulder. Comparing the two sports makes you look extremely uninformed. The comparison to attendance is where it ends.

I wasn't comparing the two sports, I was pointing out GTA's very fickle fans who
a) largely support losing teams (leafs, raptors, certain extent TFC)
b) when a team wins championship they jump off (Rock, Argos in '83, even bluejays attendance dropped hard after 1994(may have more to do with the lockout but never recovered))
c) Don't support junior or university sport. (OHL, CIS, AHL)

Then again, it's not like lacrosse is Canada's national summer sport......