PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Sunday,Feb.13

denime
02-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Mornin'

Women’s national soccer team keeps up pressure on CSA (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/937939--women-s-national-soccer-team-keeps-up-pressure-on-csa)

There's no magical cure to fix what ails women's soccer in Canada (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2011/02/12/17255826.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

sidvan
02-13-2011, 09:08 AM
mornin' all

[NBF]
02-13-2011, 09:36 AM
SSG: Very Nice:hump:

CWNT: It really is too bad they didn't try this before any budget was set by parliament, but in my opinion they won't get anything until 2015. This might end up being the start of extremely slow change for both programs.

The funny thing is the men's program is better funded by the CSA, but the CSA is not spending any money on hiring a good foreign manager. The women's program is grossly under funded but they have a good foreign manager.

Good Salaries + Good Foreign Manager = World Cup Qualification.

TorCanSoc
02-13-2011, 10:11 AM
What happened to Canada bidding on the 2015 Women's WC? Wasn't it down to two teams? Canada and some serious underdog of a country. I looked on the internets... couldn't find anything. I just remember thinking... "I'm sure the CSA is going to pooch this one badly". What was the result?

Esquire
02-13-2011, 10:54 AM
What happened to Canada bidding on the 2015 Women's WC? Wasn't it down to two teams? Canada and some serious underdog of a country. I looked on the internets... couldn't find anything. I just remember thinking... "I'm sure the CSA is going to pooch this one badly". What was the result?

Looks like the Host country will be announced on March 3rd. It's Canada and Zimbawe in the running.

I don't see why Canada wouldn't get it. It's the only logical choice. Oh, right, FIFA.....

2015 FIFA Women's World Cup Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_FIFA_Women%27s_World_Cup)

Batman
02-13-2011, 11:01 AM

Final submission details were to be in by Feb 11.

Meeting is set for Mar. 2-3 to vote and finalize.

Batman
02-13-2011, 11:04 AM
For once a Wheeler article seems very well thought out.
I found this helpful.
I'm supportive of the women's cause with CSA but the article pretty well lays out the grim financial realities.
I'm wondering where this is headed.
I hope it doesn't screw up our World Cup hosting bid. (I don't think it will.)

I hope it doesn't screw up our team's success this year. I think this is a distinct possibility.

TorCanSoc
02-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Looks like the Host country will be announced on March 3rd. It's Canada and Zimbawe in the running.

I don't see why Canada wouldn't get it. It's the only logical choice. Oh, right, FIFA.....

2015 FIFA Women's World Cup Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_FIFA_Women%27s_World_Cup)

Damn.... talk about missing a link. I didn't see that.

No disrespect to Zimbabwe. But come on.... if we don't get this then its an absolute tragedy of leadership. But yeah, its FIFA and the CSA. With that tandem we could see neither get it, then default the games to the U.S.

Auzzy
02-13-2011, 12:18 PM
For once a Wheeler article seems very well thought out.
I found this helpful.
I'm supportive of the women's cause with CSA but the article pretty well lays out the grim financial realities.
I'm wondering where this is headed.
I hope it doesn't screw up our World Cup hosting bid. (I don't think it will.)

I hope it doesn't screw up our team's success this year. I think this is a distinct possibility.

Read the first comment on Wheeler's article. I admit there are no easy answers to these issues, but I don't think his article is well researched. I for one would welcome a careful comparison between the CSA & US funding, for both women & men, as well as related issues. Not that Canada can compete dollar-for-dollar (or even dollar-per-player) with the US program, but it would still be interesting to compare. Canada is pretty closely connected with the US in the soccer world.

First problem with that: the CSA seems to be very secretive about many issues, including details about funding. (Even that would be an interesting article to read: compare the amount of info available from the US and Cdn organizations...) Also, when you look at all kinds of sports funding, it often isn't doled out in a way to maximize financial return. Plus the basic premise in these articles seems to be that there's a set, limited funding pie available, and any gain to the women needs to be a loss to the men. I don't agree. I see lots of other issues with this article (as well as the other one yesterday, from Sportsnet), but unfortunately I don't have time to research more & respond more. I'm sure others will.

Batman
02-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Read the first comment on Wheeler's article. I admit there are no easy answers to these issues, but I don't think his article is well researched. I for one would welcome a careful comparison between the CSA & US funding, for both women & men, as well as related issues. Not that Canada can compete dollar-for-dollar (or even dollar-per-player) with the US program, but it would still be interesting to compare. Canada is pretty closely connected with the US in the soccer world.

First problem with that: the CSA seems to be very secretive about many issues, including details about funding. (Even that would be an interesting article to read: compare the amount of info available from the US and Cdn organizations...) Also, when you look at all kinds of sports funding, it often isn't doled out in a way to maximize financial return. Plus the basic premise in these articles seems to be that there's a set, limited funding pie available, and any gain to the women needs to be a loss to the men. I don't agree. I see lots of other issues with this article (as well as the other one yesterday, from Sportsnet), but unfortunately I don't have time to research more & respond more. I'm sure others will.

I'm not going to base my reaction on a single comment on the toronto sun. :D

However, I thought he brought up a good number of points. I'm going out of my way hee, because usually I think he's way too superficial.

I'm looking forward to hearing a CSA reponse to all this, and I do agree that they should be much more open. I wouldn't trust the president of the CSA as far as I can throw him, but we're stuck with him for now, and it's a very crucial time in obtaining the women's world cup as well as for the women's team preparing for this year's wc.

I absolutely do want Morace to stay.

Waggy
02-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Some news from out west on the first game of the season. Sounds like the Whitecaps FO is doing it's best to make MLSE look good
http://aftncanada.blogspot.com/2011/02/toronto-ticket-allocation-for-season.html

(edit: If not appropriate for news thread my bad)

Suds
02-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Some news from out west on the first game of the season. Sounds like the Whitecaps FO is doing it's best to make MLSE look good
http://aftncanada.blogspot.com/2011/02/toronto-ticket-allocation-for-season.html

(edit: If not appropriate for news thread my bad)

The writer raises some very good points. Away support is vital to the continued growth of the MLS. The league and very team should have a plan in place to work with traveling fans. With Vancouver & Portland now in the leagues I see the west coast traveling support growing quite a bit. It would only make sense the clubs work with each other.

What is disappointing is it seems the teams feel plans need to include all kinds of rules & restrictions. I agree that some make sense but some seem way over the top. Let's hope this gets worked out for the benefit of all MLS fans who travel.