PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Saturday,Feb.12

denime
02-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Mornin'

Canada draws Costa Rica for CONCACAF U-20 (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/02/11/sp-concacaf-u20.html)

Hastings announces soccer retirement (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/02/11/sp-richard-hastings.html)

Battle of the sexes (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/02/11/dobson_battle_of_the_sexes/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Gazza
02-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Watching Blackburn/Newcastle...accordingly to the commentator, David Hoilet is considering England and USA over Canada.

Wonderful. We can almost make a pretty decent starting eleven from the guys who have chosen to play elsewhere.

boban
02-12-2011, 10:45 AM
^^ So can other countries. Move on.

Gazza
02-12-2011, 10:52 AM
^^Not sure about you, but i'd like to see my country's best players playing for MY country.

Feel free to move on.

King Jeff
02-12-2011, 10:56 AM
How does Hoillet even qualify for the USA? I've never heard that until today.

TFCRegina
02-12-2011, 10:59 AM

Only in his mind.

Gazza
02-12-2011, 11:01 AM

Every kid in brampton knows a guy who knows a guy who's friends with a guy who knows Jay Z because he lives in Brooklyn. That guy might in fact be the Holiett brother's 3rd cousin.

boban
02-12-2011, 11:02 AM
^^Not sure about you, but i'd like to see my country's best players playing for MY country.

Feel free to move on.
Ya well I would like to win the lottery but I still move on.

It's happens to other countries, and they move on.
Get over it. No country will ever stop losing players to other countries. The sooner you accept that, the happier you will be.

TFCDP
02-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Most other countries have many more quality players coming through.. so losing a few here and there to other countries won't really hurt them.. Canada on the other hand only sees a few quality players every so often.. so losing one to another country is harder to get over.

Gazza
02-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Most other countries have many more quality players coming through.. so losing a few here and there to other countries won't really hurt them.. Canada on the other hand only sees a few quality players every so often.. so losing one to another country is harder to get over.

And a lot people are content to cheer for their grandparent's countries than to get behind the Canadian national team. It makes it easier for them to "move on."

boban
02-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Sulking over it doesn't do anything. It's not like this is the first guy to do it either.
The issue lies with the CSA, not the player. His career is short and he is not going to wait til 2015 for the clowns to clean up their act.
But you are right. The key is to produce more good players, so that one or 2 don't choose Canada its not a big deal.
I just don't understand how 1 team in the MLS had people expectations think everything would change overnight and all would be good.

boban
02-12-2011, 11:21 AM
And a lot people are content to cheer for their grandparent's countries than to get behind the Canadian national team. It makes it easier for them to "move on."
I am neither American, nor am I English.

Oldtimer
02-12-2011, 11:26 AM
The issue lies with the CSA, not the player. His career is short and he is not going to wait til 2015 for the clowns to clean up their act.

CSA secret board meeting photo:

http://hollywoodhatesme.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/clowns.jpg

Gazza
02-12-2011, 11:31 AM
I am neither American, nor am I English.

I don't remember inferring that you were either. I'm pretty sure, judging by your name, that your background is Croatian.

And why is it that showing concern for the state of Canadian soccer and the players means i'm sulking?

You talk about developing more quality players...why? So MORE can choose other countries over the one that produced them? It seems that today, more than ever, the only players who play for Canada are the ones who don't have a choice. I don't see that from a lot of other countries.

boban
02-12-2011, 11:41 AM
I don't remember inferring that you were either. I'm pretty sure, judging by your name, that your background is Croatian.

And why is it that showing concern for the state of Canadian soccer and the players means i'm sulking?

You talk about developing more quality players...why? So MORE can choose other countries over the one that produced them? It seems that today, more than ever, the only players who play for Canada are the ones who don't have a choice. I don't see that from a lot of other countries.
You are sulking because it is nothing new if a player chooses to play for another country. Get over, it happens. He is not the first, nor the last.
Every time a player does not choose Canada there is so much bitching and complaining directed towards the player its nauseating.

You are never going to stop every player from choosing another country, but with more quality players the chances increase of developing a better national program because not everyone has options to play for someone else. This in turn will get future players to choose Canada more as they see they have options here and that the team is actually pretty good on the world stage. Would you want to play for a perennial 90th place team with no hope? Get realistic.
This ain't Alice in Wonderland where you click your shoes and hope everything magically turns out to your liking.

Gazza
02-12-2011, 12:04 PM
You are sulking because it is nothing new if a player chooses to play for another country. Get over, it happens. He is not the first, nor the last.
Every time a player does not choose Canada there is so much bitching and complaining directed towards the player its nauseating.

You are never going to stop every player from choosing another country, but with more quality players the chances increase of developing a better national program because not everyone has options to play for someone else. This in turn will get future players to choose Canada more as they see they have options here and that the team is actually pretty good on the world stage. Would you want to play for a perennial 90th place team with no hope? Get realistic.
This ain't Alice in Wonderland where you click your shoes and hope everything magically turns out to your liking.

I apologize, your opinion trumps all and all else is just sulking.

I should accept fifa's terrible rules or lack-there-of and the CSA's inability to hold onto our BEST young talent.

RobM
02-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Hoillett has been at Blackburn for almost all his formative soccer years - since the age of 13. It's not that the CSA/Canadian leagues have been nurturing his talent for years and he is turning his back on them now. Having said that, I understand the frustration given the number of players choosing to play elsewhere in recent years. Especially considering he says he will always be Canadian but he is keeping his options open.
He also says Canada has been in contact but he is waiting for the right time (read offer) so its not like the CSA or whoever haven't been trying. Just sounds like with options of Jamaica, possibly USA and possibly England, Canada may lose out again.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11676_6747078,00.html

TFCDP
02-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Hoillett has been at Blackburn for almost all his formative soccer years - since the age of 13. It's not that the CSA/Canadian leagues have been nurturing his talent for years and he is turning his back on them now. Having said that, I understand the frustration given the number of players choosing to play elsewhere in recent years. Especially considering he says he will always be Canadian but he is keeping his options open.
He also says Canada has been in contact but he is waiting for the right time (read offer) so its not like the CSA or whoever haven't been trying. Just sounds like with options of Jamaica, possibly USA and possibly England, Canada WILL lose out again.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11676_6747078,00.html

Fixed

Baggio2TFC
02-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Roberto Carlos to LA???

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2011/02/12/2349499/official-roberto-carlos-parts-company-with-corinthians

gmacpheetfc
02-12-2011, 02:00 PM
time for me to book an ewood park away date with my canadian flag to show him some support

reggie
02-12-2011, 02:59 PM
[quote=RobM;1223422]Hoillett has been at Blackburn for almost all his formative soccer years - since the age of 13. It's not that the CSA/Canadian leagues have been nurturing his talent for years and he is turning his back on them now. Having said that, I understand the frustration given the number of players choosing to play elsewhere in recent years. Especially considering he says he will always be Canadian but he is keeping his options open.
He also says Canada has been in contact but he is waiting for the right time (read offer) so its not like the CSA or whoever haven't been trying. Just sounds like with options of Jamaica, possibly USA and possibly England, Canada may lose out again.
ht (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11676_6747078,00.html[/quote)
tp://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11676_6747078,00.html[/quote
the fucker has played 10 games or so in the epl ..he is talking like he is the next great one,england my ass:scarf::canada:

TFCREDNWHITE
02-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Bullshit. Hoilett should pull on a Canada jersey and wear it proudly!
He should play for a country that gave his parents the opportunity to give there kid a better
Life!

ag futbol
02-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Would you want to play for a perennial 90th place team with no hope? Get realistic.
Its a self-fulfilling prophecy. Our best players leave, we are left with second choice options, Canada perennially becomes a second choice team.

Sure there are things that can be done to fix that, and I am more than willing to throw the CSA under the bus for not doing their share but you have to be pretty naive not to realize there is an outside component at work here the association has no control of.

Canada definitely faces some unique challenges compared to some other places being so multicultural; the number of players leaving in totality is DISTURBING.

algieb
02-12-2011, 04:00 PM
with van and montreal coming into mls canada will start to produce more home grown talent,stands to reason more professional clubs to move to, kids will not have to move to another country for there football education we have to bite the bullit meantime

sidvan
02-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Until homegrown talent isn't allowed to play for the country of their grandparents we are going to continue to lose quality players to higher ranked countries.

werewolf
02-12-2011, 04:47 PM
"get over it"...such an enthralling response. It can be applied to almost anything - Maradona punched the ball into the net in a World Cup semi-final...Get over it! George Bush invaded Iraq...he isn't the first or last leader to invade a country, get over it! Some guy cut me off on the highway today...get over it!

Anyhow, for those interested in a discussion and not making excuses for players, I will give Hoilett the benefit of the doubt until he publicly states otherwise. I've been burned before giving players the benefit of the doubt, but im still holding out hope for humanity that there are some people left with integrity and honor.

Brooker
02-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Sigh... here we go again. You would think people would want to play for their own country. I can't ever imagine pulling on a USA jersey.... not that I'll ever have to worry about it.

I really only see one person "bitching and complaining."

"get over it"...such an enthralling response. It can be applied to almost anything - Maradona punched the ball into the net in a World Cup semi-final...Get over it! George Bush invaded Iraq...he isn't the first or last leader to invade a country, get over it! Some guy cut me off on the highway today...get over it!

Anyhow, for those interested in a discussion and not making excuses for players, I will give Hoilett the benefit of the doubt until he publicly states otherwise. I've been burned before giving players the benefit of the doubt, but im still holding out hope for humanity that there are some people left with integrity and honor.

Pretty much sums it up.

TFCRegina
02-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Actually Hoilett isn't eligible for the States... It's a pipedream. England is 3 years away...possible to play for them.

J .
02-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Hoillett has another year to apply for the US cause of grandfather heritage I believe.

This kills me about Canada, if JDG2, Hoillett and Bunbury chose Canada, all of a sudden we have a young up and coming team.

But nah lets fund the womens program more. Yup.

[NBF]
02-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Hoillett:

U.S.A.: Unless he's willing to hold off Canada for another 5 years to qualify. Also he would have to move to the U.S.A.

England: Highly unlikely considering the vast depth there is for left/right midfielders. At any position in the midfield he's well behind at least 4-6 players.

Jamaica: This makes sense considering there's a good chance he will play for national team with a history of being amongst the best in the CONCACAF. Always with a chance to reach the WC in every qualification.

Canada: I think he might for only two reasons; 1. If the compensation is there for him to take a hit for his professional club or he is on a team that is willing to allow him to leave, 2. Jonathan DeGuzman decides to play for Canada. Both players are looking for themselves and would gladly go with the squad with the best chance of qualifying for the WC depending on whos on the team roster.

We all wondered why David Edgar wouldnt accept a call-up to play for Canada, but now that he's fallen out of favor(his involvement might be contract related), he might be looking for a starting role elsewhere. Regardless, now that he is capped he is more likely to form a good defensive partnership with Jakovic for the next qualification tournament making the Canadian defense one of the best in the CONCACAF.

boban
02-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Its a self-fulfilling prophecy. Our best players leave, we are left with second choice options, Canada perennially becomes a second choice team.

Sure there are things that can be done to fix that, and I am more than willing to throw the CSA under the bus for not doing their share but you have to be pretty naive not to realize there is an outside component at work here the association has no control of.

Canada definitely faces some unique challenges compared to some other places being so multicultural; the number of players leaving in totality is DISTURBING.
We have an organization that is disorganized and incompetent.
Until that is restructred properly that's the wat it is.
Look at USA when you are organized and moving in a positive direction. 20+ years ago the USSF, the top, not the players, decided to make things better and improve the US's standing in the game. They have people leave their country to play for another, but its minimal. And that is what will happen here - once the CSA moves in that direction. Don't blame the player so much, blame the organization.

boban
02-12-2011, 07:12 PM

There are. But it happens in other countries as well. Don't think it doesn't.
This incessant need on this board to single 1 player a year when they choose to play for another country is almost comical. The issue is producing more talent - not looking at one guy like he is some savior or something.

[NBF]
02-12-2011, 07:19 PM
As far as what the team would look like to qualify for the 2014 World Cup:

--------------------------------Bojan---------------------------------
-----------------------------Al Shaibani-------------------------------
------------------------------Hirschfeld-------------------------------
Straith-----------Edgar---------------------Jakovic----------Klukowsky
Stalteri----------Attakora------------------Hainault-------------DeJong
----------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------Bernier------------------Simpson--------------------
-----------------DeGuzman---------------Ledgerwood-----------------
-----------------Pacheco---------------------------------------------
Peters-----------------------Hutchinson----------------------*Hoilett*
*JDG2*----------------------W.Johnson-----------------------Jackson
Hume-----------------------------------------------------------Farran
Wassey--------------------------------------------------------Uccello
--------------------------------Friend--------------------------------
-------------------------------Occean--------------------------------
--------------------------------Haber--------------------------------

Thats not bad without JDG2 or Hoillett, but what a force we would be down the flanks with them.

boban
02-12-2011, 09:00 PM
I see you have given up on Dero.

rocker
02-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Wonderful. We can almost make a pretty decent starting eleven from the guys who have chosen to play elsewhere.

Yup, and them leaving creates a self-fulfilling prophecy, as mentioned earlier. Even as things change, I bet that will remain in the minds of some players, causing them to stay away.

Of course if Canada has any success, you'll see these types coming back -- begging to be on the team really. Whatever's the easier path to success is usually the path these types take.

Red CB Toronto
02-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Is Teal Bunbury even cap tied to the US, with the easing of the rules could a guy give a country a try and if is not what he wants then move on?

TFCRegina
02-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Is Teal Bunbury even cap tied to the US, with the easing of the rules could a guy give a country a try and if is not what he wants then move on?

Not if he's already committed to a program. Basically, he was a Canadian youth player. He's permitted one switch as a senior player. So he switched the US...so he's capped by paperwork.

Borjan, who never featured for Serbia as a youth player, is technically able to switch to them.

TFCREDNWHITE
02-12-2011, 11:47 PM
I read somewhere, I think goal.com.....that real salt lake signed a DP from ManCity
And Lazio....

Any info??

TFCREDNWHITE
02-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Nevermind found it, New England Revolution Signs Former Manchester City And Lazio Midfielder Ousmane Dabo....free transfer!

Azerban
02-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Hoillett has another year to apply for the US cause of grandfather heritage I believe.

This kills me about Canada, if JDG2, Hoillett and Bunbury chose Canada, all of a sudden we have a young up and coming team.

But nah lets fund the womens program more. Yup.

no idea what this has to do with capping people, and if you don't think that women should be treated equally to men you're a sexist hope this helps

Azerban
02-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Kick Sexism Out Of Football