PDA

View Full Version : Rating Laurent Robert's Play

Keyman
07-01-2008, 01:59 AM
There was a considerable amount of excitement surrounding the signing of Laurent Robert, and rightly so, as he was a much needed addition to a team that lacked a left-sided midfielder. However, Robert has not, in my opinion, brought enough to the table.

In his first few games he seemed to stand out from the rest of the team. He was a talented player on a relatively untalented team, especially in the midfield. He had quality, and it showed, but he never truly was a game changing player. He would link up with other players well, and seemed quite dangerous in dead ball situations, yet, he did very little on the field otherwise. Recently, Robert's form has seemed to dip considerably. His play has been less than impressive, and his impact on the team has been minimal.

Robert has been labeled throughout his career has a fairly lazy player, both on and off the pitch, and I'm definitely seeing this indolent play on the pitch for Toronto FC. I have not heard anything regarding his work rate in training, so I'm not going to speak to that, but Robert seems to spend more time standing still than he does running for Toronto. He rarely plays an integral role in our offensive build-up, and seldom tracks back to defend. He also seems to lack any ability to touch the ball with his right foot; he is a true one-footed player. I can remember multiple situations where the absence of his right foot has led to a breakdown in our movement forward. His left foot is deadly, yes, but defenders are starting to notice this one-footedness, and they should be able to close him down.

The bottom line is that we are paying Robert close to $320,000 to play for us, and he simply is not worth that type of money. He is a one-dimensional player, earning money that should be coupled with a very strong player. I would argue that Jim Brennan can bring the exact same ability the left side of the midfield, if he were to be pushed up from his defensive role. If not Brennan, then someone else, there are plenty of players who can swing in crosses, and bring more, or much the same to the table, for a much smaller price. We have Guevara for dead ball situations, and Brennan as back-up. There is really very little need for Robert, if a replacement could be found. If not, I'm sure Robert will continue to play for us, and give us some good performances, but I really do not see why we should be paying Robert so much money, for the impact he has on the team. This is not meant to be a thread bashing Robert as a player, because I think he is a decent one, but decent player's do not earn close to $320,000. Or at least, they shouldn't.

Oh yeah, and if this has been discussed already, forgive me.

Captain Croatia
07-01-2008, 02:17 AM
He has some moments where he has shined, but overall i think he has underachieved here. His free kicks are very poor, and usually go into the wall (from what i can tell) minus the odd few that hit Velez for a header.

He is no doubt a good player, but i think i would rather have a more youthful and explosive player.

Nomad
07-01-2008, 02:20 AM
It's late and i'd really love to articulate my position but....

WTF? Are you kidding me? How many plays does Robert set up for these fucking guys and they don't follow through? Is Robert suppose to run around being everywhere at everytime like a chicken with his head cut off??

I remember watching the Zizou movie of his final game with Real Madrid, and if you notice he spent more time walking around ragging his feet than being in the play...but he's there when his time came...bah...it's late, but seriously...wtf?

Ossington Mental Youth
07-01-2008, 02:52 AM
Sometimes i feel like im reading big soccer in this forum.

He plays fine.

His free kicks are better then anything we saw last year in a major way. Hes set up
a fantastic amount of plays, without him (depending solely on Guevara we would look half the team).

His play in general is a big step up from what we saw last year.

People are expecting monstrous things (not necessarily bad, just unrealistic sometimes).

Hes definitely one of the better left wings in the league.

In comparison to the majority of wingers from the top teams (New England, Chicago and Columbus, fuck the west) hes above average for his age (the majority of top performers being in their early 20s and scoring in and around 3 goals and 2 assists in 13 games, Robert having 1 goal and 3 assists in 12 games, feel free to do the math).

Of course you always want more from your players and thats not a bad thing, however youve got to realize that more then one factor works into it.

I truly do believe that Robert (especially compared to previous players in all positions that we once employed) is giving it his all. Sure, if we can find a better winger, sign him. However, at this point in time, he really is the man for the job and as mentioned previously, there will be some plays that hes created in the future that will have alot of people back to jumping on his jock.

trane
07-01-2008, 04:39 AM
I realy wonder what games people are watching, and what they expect? Roberts free kicks poor? Are you kidding?

kshep
07-01-2008, 05:32 AM
I would single out his corners if anything, last match he had one or two real stinkers. Though that will happen to anyone I suppose, I'd say for the most part he's preformed to my expectations.

tfc007
07-01-2008, 06:47 AM
When he went Benfica a few years back he did exactly what he is doing now, started strong and the rest of the season was a waste. Came end of season Benfica said bye,bye! The money he is making he has to produce a bit more? Sorry guys thats my feelings about the Robert situation.

Nuvinho
07-01-2008, 08:31 AM
I don't think he will be here next year. He will find work in Europe somewhere.

jabbronies
07-01-2008, 08:36 AM
I'll judge him once we get a proper striker. I think he's a great setup man. He knows how to thread the needle with his passes.

koryo
07-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Until recently I would have defended Robert on a thread like this. But it's clear he's just mailing it in, and has been for awhile.

He needs to step it up, because he could run this league if he wanted to.

When he has the ball, his quality is without question. I don't believe he's imposing himself on the run of play enough though.

ExiledRed
07-01-2008, 08:55 AM
I just posted this on the other section, I thought it was relevant.

I don't think Laurent Robert takes it seriously enough. If David Beckham can come to MLS and play his A game, who the fuck is Laurent Robert to think that his B game will do?

We all know he can play much better than he is.

Lucky Strike
07-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Well whatever happens, the good news is that Robert is here on an unguaranteed contract, we must remember. So he can be cut loose at any time. That being the case, I find hard to believe he would be dogging it. It's probably just Laurent being Laurent.

ensco
07-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Also my post on the same topic from the news section....

I think we now have a fuller picture of Robert, and why he was available.

He's not very good defensively, or without the ball. With the ball, he's a premiership player.

He's got tons of talent, but he's just un-coachable. I don't mean this in a "locker room cancer" sense. I mean it more in a "I'm just going out there to do my thing" sense.

You have to take the good with the bad with veterans like this. I'm fine with it, but it does put a defensive burden on other players.

koryo
07-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Not unfair observations in the least lads.

As Exiled so aptly put, we know he's a much better player than what he's shown. That he won't show it is frustrating to no end.

Heathen
07-01-2008, 09:51 AM
He's lazy and pussies out of tackles but when he's interested he can skin any defender in this league at will and I agree if he had a decent striker to play we'd really see his value to the team

Damien
07-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Robert is talented, no question. But he's lazy at times, simple as that.

Pachuco
07-01-2008, 10:04 AM
There was a considerable amount of excitement surrounding the signing of Laurent Robert, and rightly so, as he was a much needed addition to a team that lacked a left-sided midfielder. However, Robert has not, in my opinion, brought enough to the table.

In his first few games he seemed to stand out from the rest of the team. He was a talented player on a relatively untalented team, especially in the midfield. He had quality, and it showed, but he never truly was a game changing player. He would link up with other players well, and seemed quite dangerous in dead ball situations, yet, he did very little on the field otherwise. Recently, Robert's form has seemed to dip considerably. His play has been less than impressive, and his impact on the team has been minimal.

Robert has been labeled throughout his career has a fairly lazy player, both on and off the pitch, and I'm definitely seeing this indolent play on the pitch for Toronto FC. I have not heard anything regarding his work rate in training, so I'm not going to speak to that, but Robert seems to spend more time standing still than he does running for Toronto. He rarely plays an integral role in our offensive build-up, and seldom tracks back to defend. He also seems to lack any ability to touch the ball with his right foot; he is a true one-footed player. I can remember multiple situations where the absence of his right foot has led to a breakdown in our movement forward. His left foot is deadly, yes, but defenders are starting to notice this one-footedness, and they should be able to close him down.

The bottom line is that we are paying Robert close to $320,000 to play for us, and he simply is not worth that type of money. He is a one-dimensional player, earning money that should be coupled with a very strong player. I would argue that Jim Brennan can bring the exact same ability the left side of the midfield, if he were to be pushed up from his defensive role. If not Brennan, then someone else, there are plenty of players who can swing in crosses, and bring more, or much the same to the table, for a much smaller price. We have Guevara for dead ball situations, and Brennan as back-up. There is really very little need for Robert, if a replacement could be found. If not, I'm sure Robert will continue to play for us, and give us some good performances, but I really do not see why we should be paying Robert so much money, for the impact he has on the team. This is not meant to be a thread bashing Robert as a player, because I think he is a decent one, but decent player's do not earn close to $320,000. Or at least, they shouldn't.

Oh yeah, and if this has been discussed already, forgive me.

It's not often I disagree with something you post, I gotta say though I'm not in agreement with you here. Yes, he can be lazy sometimes going back to defend, but going forward he is excellent with the ball and always poses a threat. He'd have more assists if Cunny could well....need I say more?

The thing is, this midfield is solid and one of the reasons why is because Robert is in it. There are lots of things a world class player like Robert brings to the team and that's not just scoring goals and getting assists. If you watch Robert on the wing, he holds the ball up great and usually makes some nice touches to move the play forward. He rarely loses the ball 1 on 1, in fact Ricketts loses it alot more then he does. The dynamics that Robert brings to this midfield is needed and welcomed.

Having said all this I realize he had a bad game in New England, but that's no reason to categorize all of his play with that one game.

By the way, he's going to score today, he's due :)

MG42
07-01-2008, 10:08 AM
I want to see somg long range cannon blasts from that foot! I could be wrong bit it seemed his first few games on the road and at BMO, TFC were getting more free kicks within striking range, and we rarely do now?

I think he realizes cunny's limitations as a striker, and well, that can suck the will out of any player (hands on hips) :)

koryo
07-01-2008, 10:13 AM
The thing is, this midfield is solid and one of the reasons why is because Robert is in it. There are lots of things a world class player like Robert brings to the team and that's not just scoring goals and getting assists. If you watch Robert on the wing, he holds the ball up great and usually makes some nice touches to move the play forward. He rarely loses the ball 1 on 1, in fact Ricketts loses it alot more then he does. The dynamics that Robert brings to this midfield is needed and welcomed.

And this is the other side of the coin. Also quite valid.

The point has been made that we would see more quality from Robert if he has a decent striker with whom to link up. Can't deny that's crossed my mind.

From my point of view, I'd just like to see him grab a game by the scruff of the neck and tear apart the opposition. It's not as though he's not capable.

Perhaps I expect too much?

joel
07-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Yeah until he has a good game next and you all want to have his baby again.

Roogsy
07-01-2008, 10:17 AM
I think the concensus is that he is talented but lazy.

For the price we are paying...I am ok with that. We needed some offence and he provides it. We are going to have to count on other players to cover some of his defensive liabilities...but we always knew that didn't we?

koryo
07-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Yeah until he has a good game next and you all want to have his baby again.

A consistent effort would do. Babies, not so much.

romburgundy
07-01-2008, 10:19 AM
He only had the one home game really and 2 on the road. I aint havin' no one's baby I don't not even some footballer with a french accent.

djking2
07-01-2008, 10:19 AM
The number of times I've seen Robert dogging it pales in comparison to the number of times I've seen him digging hard and then placing a great ball to someone that boots it. I suppose you could say as a pro he shouldn't let that effect his play. Reality sucks

Ossington Mental Youth
07-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Also my post on the same topic from the news section....

I think we now have a fuller picture of Robert, and why he was available.

He's not very good defensively, or without the ball. With the ball, he's a premiership player.

He's got tons of talent, but he's just un-coachable. I don't mean this in a "locker room cancer" sense. I mean it more in a "I'm just going out there to do my thing" sense.

You have to take the good with the bad with veterans like this. I'm fine with it, but it does put a defensive burden on other players.

Yep, i agree with this.
Its always ncie to have a full player that plays wonderfully in all areas but those players are hard to come by. It does suck that he doesnt always run back but im not expecting him to, just like i dont expect Harmse to score hattricks (or score at all for that matter)

Corpand
07-01-2008, 10:25 AM
He feels like the big dick (he is getting paid wayy more than any other TFC players) and probably feels all his skill is going to waste with the likes of Cunnylingus. Why work hard if you know your crosses will simply bounce off into nothingness.

Keyman
07-01-2008, 11:18 AM
It's not often I disagree with something you post, I gotta say though I'm not in agreement with you here. Yes, he can be lazy sometimes going back to defend, but going forward he is excellent with the ball and always poses a threat. He'd have more assists if Cunny could well....need I say more?

Having said all this I realize he had a bad game in New England, but that's no reason to categorize all of his play with that one game.

By the way, he's going to score today, he's due :)

First of all, I wasn't just basing this post on the New England game. One game does not make a player. This is a personal observation that I've made over the past month or so.

The problem I see with what you've said, is that your description does not go with a player who is earning near the league maximum. With such a low salary cap in Major League Soccer, people need to critique players based both on their play and their salary. Robert takes up a significant chunk of space, and he does not deserve to. I agree that he makes some nice touches on the left, and seems to hold up the ball well, but those are not characteristics of a player who is earning this type of money. Yes, a successful team needs players like Robert, pieces to the puzzle, but I fully believe that you could bring in a player, even Brennan, who would give you performances that are much the same, for a much cheaper price.

I agree with people who say that he would be a different player if he gave it his all, game in, game out. However, we simply have not seen that at all since he arrived in Toronto. And what makes people think that he will magically change over night? This is the Laurent Rober that the football world has become accustomed to over his career, and he has not changed.

rocker
07-01-2008, 11:58 AM
i don't think robert is lazy. he runs hard and is into the game when it matters.

but when his teammates fuck up (often) he walks back and shows his displeasure.
but when teammates like Dichio or Brennan understand what he wants to do, he goes hard.

also, i think people need to watch what he attempts to do, and notice how often the receiving player fails. I saw a pass against Montreal that went into space for Cunny. Naturally, Cunny didn't "expect" the pass and it went out of bounds. The commentator said "bad pass by Robert" but it was actually Cunny's fault on the reception end. Watch the failed reception of many nice balls from Robert.

Robert sees the game VERY well and he can see when he's not "in" the play and that's when he doesn't run like a chicken when his head is cut off (why bother?). But when he sees a play coming together properly, he plays as hard as anyone. as mentioned before, he's awful if he has to "battle" a guy for a ball. He's somewhat slight and small, and he's not like Marvell Wynne, who can muscle a guy and come away with the ball. But when he has the ball, and he's facing a defender, he's as good as anyone in the league at making things happen. Carver even said when Robert was signed that Robert doesn't play defense.

As I've said with Robinson's pay, it doesn't really matter what Robert makes in salary. The only time any individual player's salary matters is when that contract is keeping us from signing somebody better. Robert's money is not keeping us from signing better players.

Juanito
07-01-2008, 02:53 PM
I think Robert is a decent player and it may just be a by-product of the system he is asked to play. There are other players I'd like to see let go ... CUNNINGHAM ... and overall, he is one of the reason the team is better than last year. Keep in mind that we are sorely lacking in quality strikers and maybe when we get some decent forwards, the rest of the team will shine as well. I have seen a few games where Robert runs up and there is NO ONE to pass to. That isn't his fault.

LUFC
07-01-2008, 09:12 PM
wahey leeds supporter on here nice to meet u!, and totally agree mabye he just needs to get fit? but hes been here for alittle while to have done that alrede.

djking2
07-01-2008, 09:19 PM
I thought he looked good today. He ran his ass off actually

NateDoGG
07-01-2008, 09:28 PM
he will start having wonder goals for us soon
just u wait
u guys will love this guy, ive watched him in the epl for many years, he is class

jloome
07-01-2008, 10:19 PM
This is the Laurent Rober that the football world has become accustomed to over his career, and he has not changed.

Yeah, one who is thoroughly misjudged because he doesn't run around like a chicken with his head cut off. One of the reasons Robert doesn't have to cover as much ground and walks it a lot when the play's behind him is because he was hired as a purely offensive player; even Carver acknowledged that he "doesn't play defense" when we hired him.

The other is that, like Guevara, he's rarely in the wrong spot. Both guys often look like they're dogging it because you see them walking, away from the play. The same was true in their day of Teddy Sherringham and Roy Keane, and the reason for that is simple: they're two of the only two players on our team who are where they should be in the buildup, who have already figured out where the weak spot in the defense is going to be or where the space is going to be. They think ahead, so that they don't have to repeatedly beat multiple guys or spend the whole game on the trot. Ricketts is the same way, and to an extent so is Robbo.

When other players don't get the game at the same level, both of these guys slow to a canter and Robert has always been vocal over his frustrations with incompetent teammates making his crossing and build-up play a waste of time; he got benched for blasting the whole locker room in Newcastle. As goes the team, so goes Robert.

noochie
07-01-2008, 10:26 PM
^^ Very well put. He is way too smart for the finishers we have now. There is a reason why Mo and Carver are on record as saying they are looking for strikers and likely strikers only.

nimamalek
07-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Robert was always a player that is going to get paid for the 3-4 moments of brilliance in a game, not his overall work rate through out the game. We can give him credit for creating 5-6 goals this year and he's also created lots of chances for us with great crosses.

Fort York Redcoat
07-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Robert is the prime example of the type of player we should expect in this league. Great experience great attributes but inconsistent. I'll chide him for underachieving at times but he's gave the team dimension which it did not have before his arrival. He'll improve and stay or he'll keep on this form and have to go. He contributes but can't raise the players around him at this point so far.

TFC Tifoso
07-02-2008, 09:49 AM
I'd give up too if pass after pass was being wasted by that useless fucking tit Cunningham. Robert has been world class for TFC more times than not. But I'd rather see a player get frustrated at teammates for having zero anticipation then do nothing and just stand with hands on hips.

TicTacTabarnack
07-02-2008, 10:12 AM
i don't think robert is lazy. he runs hard and is into the game when it matters.

but when his teammates fuck up (often) he walks back and shows his displeasure.
but when teammates like Dichio or Brennan understand what he wants to do, he goes hard.

also, i think people need to watch what he attempts to do, and notice how often the receiving player fails. I saw a pass against Montreal that went into space for Cunny. Naturally, Cunny didn't "expect" the pass and it went out of bounds. The commentator said "bad pass by Robert" but it was actually Cunny's fault on the reception end. Watch the failed reception of many nice balls from Robert.

Robert sees the game VERY well and he can see when he's not "in" the play and that's when he doesn't run like a chicken when his head is cut off (why bother?). But when he sees a play coming together properly, he plays as hard as anyone. as mentioned before, he's awful if he has to "battle" a guy for a ball. He's somewhat slight and small, and he's not like Marvell Wynne, who can muscle a guy and come away with the ball. But when he has the ball, and he's facing a defender, he's as good as anyone in the league at making things happen. Carver even said when Robert was signed that Robert doesn't play defense.

As I've said with Robinson's pay, it doesn't really matter what Robert makes in salary. The only time any individual player's salary matters is when that contract is keeping us from signing somebody better. Robert's money is not keeping us from signing better players.

I agree ... It's got to be a pain in the ass trying to set up Cunningham with beauties that he never (or rarely) converts. He just doesn't click with Cunny and Dichio's not the type of player with the speed needed for Robert to set up long passes to. That being said ... I can see Robert becoming a MAJOR asset when he has a solid, fast and talented striker to work with up front.