PDA

View Full Version : Whitecaps to have all games broadcast on radio

LittleOzzy
02-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Vancouver’s TEAM 1410 (http://www.teamradio.ca/) is now the official voice of Vancouver Whitecaps FC, with exclusive radio broadcast rights to the club’s matches for the next two years. The new deal makes TEAM 1410 the home of all 34 regular season matches, all playoff games, and all international “friendly” matches, kicking off with the club’s MLS debut at Empire Field against Toronto FC on Saturday, March 19.
TEAM 1410 will feature full pre-game and post-game coverage that will be available on radio and online, with audio archives on teamradio.ca (http://www.teamradio.ca/). TEAM 1410 will also air a daily Whitecaps FC show Monday to Friday that will include player and coach interviews, expert guest analysis, news on Whitecaps FC women, Whitecaps FC Residency, Whitecaps Foundation, the club’s involvement in the community and more. Broadcast talent will be announced in the near future.http://whitecapsfc.com/news/2011/02/vancouver%E2%80%99s-team-1410-becomes-official-voice-vancouver-whitecaps-fc

I know it's easier in a smaller market without the Jays/Argos and Bills but I'm honestly jealous of the radio coverage they are going to get.

Brooker
02-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Yeah, they have the Canucks. We have the Leafs, Jays & Raptors. It's no surprise they can find the time.

Lucky Strike
02-10-2011, 03:28 PM
I don't really care about matches on radio, TFC hasn't had a radio voice in its history because who really wants to listen to the game in situations where you can watch it? It's not the 1930s. However, the additional coverage of the extras is definitely interesting and I'd be interested were TFC to do something like that.

Cashcleaner
02-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Radio? Why bother? It's an outdated media that no-one ever uses anymore.

*Ahhh MightyTFC, you'll be the death of us all.*

Seriously though, good news for the Whitecaps and soccer fans all over BC.

Parkdale
02-10-2011, 03:34 PM

I had to listen to two games on the radio in the last season alone.

once we were at a cottage without a TV (or at least without cable) and the only way to get a play by play was on the radio. My phone couldn't get data very well, but the radio came though loud and clear. We had every radio turned up, plus a car playing it from the speakers. it was good old times

and yes, it sucks compared to the TV, but it's better than the watching a phone.

Damien
02-10-2011, 03:37 PM
A lot of 905ers listen to it while driving! Then again i'm from Bolton so what the hell do I know.

*queue Parkdale, Kevv or Trane with a joke about bolton* :p

Ageroo
02-10-2011, 03:37 PM

I gotta disagree.....I actually listen to alot of away matches via the radio when I wasn't able to get around a TV....it was perfect.

Parkdale
02-10-2011, 03:40 PM
*queue Parkdale, Kevv or Trane with a joke about bolton* :p

sniker. bolton.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/kevnix/smilies/smiley_farmer.gif

Damien
02-10-2011, 03:41 PM
sniker. bolton.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/kevnix/smilies/smiley_farmer.gif

Bolton Radio with Casey Kasem!

Parkdale
02-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Bolton Radio with Casey Kasem!

That hasn't been broadcast since the 50's. How are you still picking up the signal?

Damien
02-10-2011, 03:46 PM
You mean Elvis isn't #1?

Parkdale
02-10-2011, 03:51 PM
You mean Elvis isn't #1?

He'll always be #1 in your heart

Damien
02-10-2011, 03:54 PM
50 million Elvis fans cant be wrong.

Parkdale
02-10-2011, 03:57 PM
50 million Elvis fans cant be wrong.

but 50 Boltonites don't make it right.

Technorgasm
02-10-2011, 03:59 PM
I had to listen to two games on the radio in the last season alone.

once we were at a cottage without a TV (or at least without cable) and the only way to get a play by play was on the radio. My phone couldn't get data very well, but the radio came though loud and clear. We had every radio turned up, plus a car playing it from the speakers. it was good old times

and yes, it sucks compared to the TV, but it's better than the watching a phone.

Epic weekend!
great game too.. thats was cool. .

I listedned to a game last year, after a night of hard drinkin and hard bowlin. . . . now that glorious voice is gone from the airwaves..

Damien
02-10-2011, 03:59 PM
but 50 Boltonites don't make it right.

There arent that many people in Bolton yet!

Relja
02-10-2011, 05:46 PM
I don't really care about matches on radio, TFC hasn't had a radio voice in its history because who really wants to listen to the game in situations where you can watch it? It's not the 1930s. However, the additional coverage of the extras is definitely interesting and I'd be interested were TFC to do something like that.

As a student, most TFC/Leafs games I end up listening to the radio and am so grateful that they do put it on the radio. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to keep up with the team/game due to time constraints. Its a great way to keep up with the team and it doesn't distract you like the TV does. Its a lot better for me to listen to the game on the radio because most of the time im studying (engineering student HIRE ME :) ). Sorry guys, but had to put that blatant self advertising.

Shakes McQueen
02-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Glad to see they are going to get lots of coverage - it's good for the league.

As others have mentioned, it just won't happen in Toronto, because we have several other professional sports teams vying for attention. Vancouver only has the Canucks, and they mostly play opposite the MLS season.

- Scott

rocker
02-10-2011, 06:35 PM
i want the game sent by telegraph to my local newspaper office, where the editors will shout out the score as I stand outside :)

that actually happened in the late-1800s for news.

Cashcleaner
02-10-2011, 07:24 PM
I gotta disagree.....I actually listen to alot of away matches via the radio when I wasn't able to get around a TV....it was perfect.

Oh I've heard TFC on the radio as well. I was making a joke at the expense of a former poster. TFC on the radio is only a good thing.

DavydMT
02-10-2011, 10:31 PM
well done Whitecaps and in my opinion FAN590 has the best TFC play by play team and great audio feed

sashavukelich
02-11-2011, 05:59 AM
haha, some of the stuff posted here is hilarious!

I love listening to the game on the radio, i have enough imagination to see the play in my head and it helps me feel present at games i miss through work etc...

iansmcl
02-11-2011, 07:51 AM
I work at night and spend half of my shift in a truck. So... games on the radio are a big plus. I listened to 90% of the Saturday away games on the radio.
I just wish the asshats that do the game would mention the score every now and then...

Alixir
02-11-2011, 09:07 AM
I have had to listen to TFC matches on the radio a couple times...I tried to run my satalite to my car but the cable snappped bythe time I got out of the driveway.
no but seriously I have had to listen to the game on the radio while driving home from work.

Rudi
02-11-2011, 03:33 PM
TFC hasn't had a radio voice in its history
Um, what?

Boris
02-11-2011, 03:34 PM

TOBOR !
02-11-2011, 04:01 PM
i want the game sent by telegraph to my local newspaper office, where the editors will shout out the score as I stand outside :)

that actually happened in the late-1800s for news.

When the Battle of Waterloo was won, Wellington dispatched a messenger back to England to report the news. It took four days.

That's how I want it relayed to me... I'll have one of those Go Trainers walk to BMO, watch the game, and then walk back to me to tell me how it went.

Then we'll all jump about shouting 'Huzzah' in our stocking caps, chewing on the ends of our smoking pipes.

tfcleeds
02-11-2011, 04:08 PM
How about the Pony Express? I figure we can get the results about a month afterwards if everything goes smoothly.

TOBOR !
02-11-2011, 04:12 PM
^ After riding as far as he could he'd hand the information off to a man riding a train, protected by Pinkertons.

"Hmmmm... protected by Pinkerton's"

http://www.rogeroverall.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/homer_simpson31.jpg

Dave67
02-11-2011, 04:51 PM
I guess no one here is ever in a car when a game is being played. Radio would be nice at times.

Brooker
02-11-2011, 05:20 PM
I guess no one here is ever in a car when a game is being played. Radio would be nice at times.

I was once. The game last year at BMO against the LA Galaxy. The most embarrassingly shitty game of soccer I've ever seen. The players could not give a shit. So we left at half time and listened to it on the way home. Only game I've ever left early. The radio guys were pretty good. They seemed into it. They weren't boring considering how awful the match was.

jloome
02-12-2011, 02:13 AM
I was once. The game last year at BMO against the LA Galaxy. The most embarrassingly shitty game of soccer I've ever seen. The players could not give a shit. So we left at half time and listened to it on the way home. Only game I've ever left early. The radio guys were pretty good. They seemed into it. They weren't boring considering how awful the match was.

Man, I remember that game. That game sucked horribly. Truly shameful. That and the home game against Seattle, truly fucking horrendous.