PDA

View Full Version : Bas Ent interview

TFC The Hague
02-10-2011, 09:11 AM
http://sport.fok.nl/nieuws/428670/1/1/50/fok-sport-in-gesprek-met-bas-ent-toronto-fc.html

Google Translate (takes too much time to translate it personally):

What about training camp together and like it?
"I am currently still training camp in Belek, Turkey. Everything is fantastic here regularly. We are in a 5 star hotel with a lot of other European clubs and countries. From the national team from Luxembourg, to Terek Grozny from Ruud Gullit. It is everything done to the players and staff in the spoil. "

There were many similarities with the Dutch way of approach?
"The approach is similar to the approach I am used to. That's because Toronto FC Aron Winter and Bob Klerck the two Dutch coaches have. Yet there are a few differences. This is more emphasized the physical aspect . More and more drive strength exercises. Besides this training camp last sixteen days, one week where European clubs often go. "

What is the relationship with your teammates? Was the adjustment difficult?
"I played last season in America, so the English language was already quite my own. I must say that the players are newcomers who are already well received. It feels like a group."

How is dealing with the staff?
"Dealing with staff is good. As a Dutchman, you lucky that you can better communicate the fact that the Dutch are also trainers. In addition to Bob Arum and there are a handful of assistants along with different origins. I think they complement each other. "

Got something typically experienced in the Netherlands you have never seen it?
"Something I really do not typically seen. The club resembles a European club. What I did notice is that the discipline here, mostly of the players is very good. In the Netherlands, do you ever use that one player is late or an incorrect setting. That will come in here! "

What does your future look like in Toronto?
"With a coach change and a replacement of the entire technical staff, will I still maals to prove. July 2010 I was because earlier trial. I was also" verbally around. I hope these 16 days the technical staff continued to convinced of my ability. "

What is your ultimate goal in your active football career?
"I am ambitious set and go for the highest. I must be realistic and know that I myself''in''will play. I hope, however, as long as possible in professional football to stay and enjoy what's left may come. "

Whoop
02-10-2011, 09:13 AM
He got let go though.

TFC The Hague
02-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Doesn't necessarily mean he isn't going to be signed anyway...

DangerRed
02-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Don't care what he thinks. He's been passed over by TFC for the second time now, with a completely new management team in place. Next!

maninb
02-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Don't care what he thinks. He's been passed over by TFC for the second time now, with a completely new management team in place. Next!

Exactly....he's finished as far as TFC is concerned....I hope the new mgmt team has a DP in their sights and some depth at CB....

Oldtimer
02-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Sounds like a great atmosphere for the team. I liked this quote:

Something I really do not typically seen. The club resembles a European club. What I did notice is that the discipline here, mostly of the players is very good.

Also, its good to know that they are not merely cloning Dutch methods, but taking into account MLS' physicality.

Lucky Strike
02-10-2011, 09:39 AM

That seems a little harsh, lol. I mean you're right to a certain extent, but it's interesting to note what he has to say about the club and training in general.

DangerRed
02-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Is it interesting, though? It just sounds like more of the same platitudes we've heard from Gargan, Nana and Frei in the last few weeks. "New direction, great system, we're learning tons, lots of time on the ball, the facility is first class and we feel spoiled."

Wull
02-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Is it interesting, though? It just sounds like more of the same platitudes we've heard from Gargan, Nana and Frei in the last few weeks. "New direction, great system, we're learning tons, lots of time on the ball, the facility is first class and we feel spoiled."

Isn't it better than players getting sent home and De Guzman admitting that they don't really work on tactics like last year?!

Pachuco
02-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Actually, when Preki first started, I heard alot of positives from training as well. DeGuzman didn't come out and talk shit until Preki left from what I remember.

Wull
02-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Actually, when Preki first started, I heard alot of positives from training as well. DeGuzman didn't come out and talk shit until Preki left from what I remember.

No, that quote was from either very early in the season or still pre-season. Probably getting his excuses in early

TFC The Hague
02-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Good lord, four months ago you guys where dying to sign someone like Ent. Looks like the new Management Team also brought some arrogance along :)

El Diego
02-10-2011, 11:01 AM
To be fair the extent of Preki's tactics were whether to put de Guzman in a wall or not.

menefreghista
02-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Good lord, four months ago you guys where dying to sign someone like Ent. Looks like the new Management Team also brought some arrogance along :)

Who was dying to sign a PDL player?

Whoop
02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
He's free to go to Columbus.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-10-2011, 11:16 AM

or better players ;)

Pachuco
02-10-2011, 11:28 AM
No, that quote was from either very early in the season or still pre-season. Probably getting his excuses in early

Well, I just googled the shit out of the subject. Read the articles in Feb and March 2010 on Preki. All positive news. All talking about Preki's tactics and how well organized the team is. blah blah blah.

This is the first article I could find on Deguzman talking about Preki and it was once he was fired. The only other thing I remember happening before that was De Guzman getting benched for staying out late one night.
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/09/14/15353236.html (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/09/14/15353236.html)

But regardless, the point I'm trying to make here is that so far, this pre-season is no different then any other. Everything is good, life is great. We don't really have a team, but that doesn't matter until we lose a few games and all hell breaks lose.

I'm just alot more careful about believing anybody is our saviour then I have been in past years. I don't believe a word anybody says in preseason because we've heard the same shit time and time again. I want to see us win games when this season starts. And signing some players before the season starts might be helpful.

Wull
02-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Well, I just googled the shit out of the subject. Read the articles in Feb and March 2010 on Preki. All positive news. All talking about Preki's tactics and how well organized the team is. blah blah blah.

This is the first article I could find on Deguzman talking about Preki and it was once he was fired. The only other thing I remember happening before that was De Guzman getting benched for staying out late one night.
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/09/14/15353236.html (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/09/14/15353236.html)

But regardless, the point I'm trying to make here is that so far, this pre-season is no different then any other. Everything is good, life is great. We don't really have a team, but that doesn't matter until we lose a few games and all hell breaks lose.

I'm just alot more careful about believing anybody is our saviour then I have been in past years. I don't believe a word anybody says in preseason because we've heard the same shit time and time again. I want to see us win games when this season starts. And signing some players before the season starts might be helpful.

Page 4, couldn't find a link to the video where he said it sadly

http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=22297&highlight=tactics&page=4

Lucky Strike
02-10-2011, 12:34 PM

Maybe so. But it's a lot better than if he came out and said the whole set-up was trash.

Oldtimer
02-10-2011, 12:44 PM
There is a lot of cynicism from the Mo era. It's too early to jump up and down and praise Winter, I'd agree, but I see quite a difference in tactical awareness. Whether that is enough to make the team a winner, we'll have to see, but it is encouraging.

Pachuco
02-10-2011, 12:54 PM
There is a lot of cynicism from the Mo era. It's too early to jump up and down and praise Winter, I'd agree, but I see quite a difference in tactical awareness. Whether that is enough to make the team a winner, we'll have to see, but it is encouraging.

Ok, so this is where I would challenge this statement. How do you see a difference in tactical awareness? We haven't seen the team play once. This is where I say people are swalling up everything that is thrown at them from MLSE. There's alot of talk, but until this team signs some players and wins some games in the MLS I don't see how anybody can be encouraged by anything outside of the reputation the coaches bring with them. That's all there is right now, reputation.

rocker
02-10-2011, 12:57 PM
i've seen enough preseasons in MLS now to know you need to wait until the season starts to judge. i'm not getting my hopes up on Winter. Also, we don't know which of these trialists will be signed yet.
I want Winter to succeed, but I'm trying not to project my hope on this team and avoid seeing what i want to see.

menefreghista
02-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Ok, so this is where I would challenge this statement. How do you see a difference in tactical awareness? We haven't seen the team play once. This is where I say people are swalling up everything that is thrown at them from MLSE. There's alot of talk, but until this team signs some players and wins some games in the MLS I don't see how anybody can be encouraged by anything outside of the reputation the coaches bring with them. That's all there is right now, reputation.

You mean like TFC fans going all crazy at the thoughts of 'total football' while in the real world the term and the style hasn't really been used since the 70's?

ManUtd4ever
02-10-2011, 01:02 PM

I disagree. The new regime seems far more organized in terms of trialists and the implementation of a tactical approach despite having little time to prepare for the upcoming season. I agree that we won't know what this team will be made of until the season starts but last year in particular was a complete circus in terms of our pre-season roster. There's no comparison...

Oldtimer
02-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Ok, so this is where I would challenge this statement. How do you see a difference in tactical awareness? We haven't seen the team play once.

The clips are enough for me to see some of that (as a former youth coach, I notice certain things in positioning and passing, believe me the clips are enough for that), but I've been saying all along that until we see the team in Charleston, it's too early to really judge. It's certainly too early to know if the team will be a winner. So we're not really that far apart in our views. Maybe you're an "8" on the cynicism scale, and I'm a "6." :D

Kaz
02-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Pachuco http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=1221869#post1221869)

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=1668

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/795437--tfc-s-de-guzman-experiencing-soccer-culture-shock

both of these are Deguzman talking about tactics, the bottom one is the quote most people refer to in this, early in the season.

P-NUTZ
02-10-2011, 02:45 PM
i dont believe anything anymore from anyone for any reason.

i wont believe in anything until we make the playoffs.

btw, regarding earlier posts, Total football is what the dutch used to beat brazil last world cup. and until the injury bug killed our team last year, preki had tfc being one of the tougher teams to play and tight defensively like never before with a real chance at making the playoffs.

that WAS worth something imo.

razor787
02-10-2011, 02:56 PM
He got let go though.
He was released from the training in Turkey. That doesnt mean he hasnt made the team though. He may have been signed, and was told to go home and start making arrangements. The next few weeks are going to be very interesting, seeing our team come together.

Pachuco
02-10-2011, 04:52 PM
I disagree. The new regime seems far more organized in terms of trialists and the implementation of a tactical approach despite having little time to prepare for the upcoming season. I agree that we won't know what this team will be made of until the season starts but last year in particular was a complete circus in terms of our pre-season roster. There's no comparison...

I'm not sure how a whole whack of new trialists is any different from any previous years. Let's see, so far we've released a bunch of players who were on last year's roster. We've brought in a whole bunch of trialists (some who have already gone home) and we haven't signed anyone. Sure looks like every other year to me as far as trialists are concerned.

Now, from an implementation of tactical approach perspective, what exactly is different here?

ManUtd4ever
02-10-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure how a whole whack of new trialists is any different from any previous years. Let's see, so far we've released a bunch of players who were on last year's roster. We've brought in a whole bunch of trialists (some who have already gone home) and we haven't signed anyone. Sure looks like every other year to me as far as trialists are concerned.

Now, from an implementation of tactical approach perspective, what exactly is different here?

As far as trialists, the major difference is timing. Last year, management was still scrambling to fill out the roster 2-3 weeks into the regular season! I am confident that the roster will be solidified well before opening day this time around.

In regards to the emphasis on technical and tactical training this year, I'm basing my opinion on interviews with all of the incumbent TFC players who have clearly stated that Winter's approach is different than past years and a refreshing change as well.

Red CB Toronto
02-10-2011, 04:57 PM
The one thing is that 16 players have to be signed to fill up the 30 man roster that the MLS has in 2011.

Milky
02-10-2011, 05:10 PM
This is a google translation of my response:

Surprised I am with the velocity of organization in camp from Winter in short time. Furthermore, that Bas Ent's trail with TFC is extinguished does not mean that his time with TFC is finally.

Pachuco
02-10-2011, 05:18 PM
As far as trialists, the major difference is timing. Last year, management was still scrambling to fill out the roster 2-3 weeks into the regular season! I am confident that the roster will be solidified well before opening day this time around.

In regards to the emphasis on technical and tactical training this year, I'm basing my opinion on interviews with all of the incumbent TFC players who have clearly stated that Winter's approach is different than past years and a refreshing change as well.

1. How can you talk about timing as the difference when we have half a roster right now? we have as many trialists as we've always had. We haven't signed a single player with the new staff. So I'm still trying to figure out how you think timing has changed? It's one thing to say that you believe it will, it's another to say it has. So far, we have nothing but talk. Don't get me wrong, I hated Preki, I like Winter so far. But come on, until we are 2-3 weeks into the season or until we sign some players before that your statement just isn't valid.

2. As far as basing your opinion based on what players are saying, once again, all I'm saying is we've heard this song before. Every year the players are exited to get out there and learn from the new coach. Opinions change when you start losing. Let's just hope we don't get there.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-10-2011, 05:33 PM
id honestly debate that we had way less trialists last year at this time, shit, id debate that we had less last season

drexel10
02-10-2011, 05:41 PM

I agree 100%

Could we have not traded Chad Barrett for allocation if a good player popped up? Why would we release playeres before we have anybody?? I am reading other team news and it seems like they are still doing better than us at getting players in early and signed.

ag futbol
02-10-2011, 06:09 PM
I have to say I agree with some of the points being raised here. While I'm optimistic about the future we really have no idea how much further forward / backwards we've gone from last year.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-10-2011, 06:24 PM
I have to say I agree with some of the points being raised here. While I'm optimistic about the future we really have no idea how much further forward / backwards we've gone from last year.

yep this comment seems sensible

ManUtd4ever
02-10-2011, 06:25 PM
1. How can you talk about timing as the difference when we have half a roster right now? we have as many trialists as we've always had. We haven't signed a single player with the new staff. So I'm still trying to figure out how you think timing has changed? It's one thing to say that you believe it will, it's another to say it has. So far, we have nothing but talk. Don't get me wrong, I hated Preki, I like Winter so far. But come on, until we are 2-3 weeks into the season or until we sign some players before that your statement just isn't valid.

2. As far as basing your opinion based on what players are saying, once again, all I'm saying is we've heard this song before. Every year the players are exited to get out there and learn from the new coach. Opinions change when you start losing. Let's just hope we don't get there.

Well, unless TFC decides not to sign any or most of the trialists invited to Turkey and Florida, it stands to reason that the club will far more prepared for the season opener this year.

Darlofletch
02-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Well this thread has made a refreshing change, some people actually taking a wait and see approach rather than just automatically buying into winter and co, and someone actually recognised that preki had done something right!!!

big problem with last year was the strike, that caused problems with signing players aand such like. It did seem to affect us worse than any other team for some starnge reason, but it was a factor.

And how many of these triallists are dutch or from Ajax, people were up in arms that Mo brought so many players from britain, it doesn't really seem like winter has thhat wide of a net either.

I agree with Pachuco, all we have right now is reputation, we've yet to see if that actually means anything. I'm hopeful that it will, but I'm not ready to make any grand statements.

Pookie
02-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Sounds like a great atmosphere for the team. I liked this quote...

We should zero in on the "most players" aspect of his quote. Meaning not all. A few weren't.

Which ones Bas Ent, which ones?

DangerRed
02-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Couldn't agree more. I'm hopeful but cautious. This has all been said before by other coaches, from Carver on down: the team is practising hard, we're going to be ready, the guys are getting to know each other, blah blah blah. (De Clerk even said "we can play football." Wow - you don't fuckin' say.)

We have to wait and see.

For all the questions hanging over the team, there's tons of stuff to be hopeful about: Winter, Martina, Plata, the fact that we have a bit of money to play with and that we still are to see something back for Chad Barrett.

What's most worrying right now is that the season starts in just a little over a month, and while we've watched the signings fly at other teams, we've done little or nothing to augment the squad.

Pookie
02-10-2011, 09:43 PM
^ There is a plan though. More trialists will join the team in the USA.

Then of course there is the pending DeRo trade... :poke:

TFCRegina
02-10-2011, 09:47 PM
We should zero in on the "most players" aspect of his quote. Meaning not all. A few weren't.

Jacob Peterson.

Oldtimer
02-10-2011, 09:51 PM

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/dero-cheque.jpg

TFCRegina
02-10-2011, 09:55 PM
http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/dero-cheque.jpg

I don't understand why people are upset that De Ro was telling the Front Office he writes in his diary every night.

J .
02-10-2011, 10:12 PM

Yeah ive been saying this, but whatev. They have what 15 guys signed, 15 more slots to be filled, five weeks till opening game?

Very Mojo of TFC

Ossington Mental Youth
02-10-2011, 10:24 PM
no.
Mojo would have 4 trialists, 'with more to come'. we'd sign none then trade off some guys for some crappier guys.

DangerRed
02-10-2011, 10:41 PM
^ There is a plan though. More trialists will join the team in the USA.

Then of course there is the pending DeRo trade... :poke:

I think you got me mixed up with Roogsario, dude. :) I'm all for trading him if we can replace him with someone relatively equal who'd be happy without a DP tag and with a salary of $500,000 a year before endorsements (which is what De Rosario is worth).

But, you know... :deadhorse:

J .
02-10-2011, 11:41 PM
no.
Mojo would have 4 trialists, 'with more to come'. we'd sign none then trade off some guys for some crappier guys.

Lol so we have what six trialists now, more to come in the US and Nathan Sturgis?

Haha, sounds pretty much the same.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-10-2011, 11:56 PM
not at all man, i think youre downplaying it alot

currently on trial

Eddy Sidra - Defender [On Trial]
Gianluca Zavarise - Midfielder [On Trial]
David Monsalve - Goalkeeper [On Trial]
Santiago Gonzalez Areco - Forward [Left Camp]
Javier Martina - Forward [On Trial]
Nick Soolsma - Forward [On Trial]
Bas Ent - Midfielder [Left Camp]
King Osei Gyan - Midfielder [On Trial]
Elbekay Bouchiba - Midfielder [On Trial]
Chris Hunter - Defender [On Trial]
Kevin Westmaas - Defender [On Trial]

more to come

Abdou Jammeh (DEF)- appeared in 1 game
Vincent Kayizzi (MID) - appeared in 5 games
Martin Saric (MID) - appeared in 3 games
Alexei Eremenko (MID) - appeared in 1 game
Junior Ischia (MID) - appeared in 1 game
Ibad Muhamadu (FWD) - appeared in 1 game
Kosta Bajic (FWD)- appeared in 2 game

Ossington Mental Youth
02-10-2011, 11:58 PM
we signed 1 of those guys.
thats not even checking the year before or the year before that.
i know noones been signed etc etc but the results, although friendlies are bettern before and there are more players as well as higher profile friendly opponents. LOOKS bettern previously as to where it leads we have yet to see

MartinUtd
02-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Martin Saric is back in the picture?

Red CB Toronto
02-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Well Dan Gargan trialed with the team in Orlando last year and then was signed by the Reds on the morning of the season opener in Columbus.

oxygenatedbrain
02-11-2011, 01:39 AM

Dare you omit the legend, Paul Dickov???

BeerBaron95
02-11-2011, 02:58 AM

Martin is trying to work out a new deal to keep him in Toronto and is looking to joining the team again when they return to Turkey and head out to the U.S

J .
02-11-2011, 04:07 AM

currently on trial

more to come

Having a bunch of trialists, give or take three four or more, doesnt excite me.

Sorry. NY talks Henry. Anelka. We talk Bas Ent. I dont even need super stars. Anyway, we still have the same roster as before. Yawn. I guess the work the interim group didnt impress.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-11-2011, 09:28 AM

nah thats from 2010

Dare you omit the legend, Paul Dickov???

never technically tried out

Having a bunch of trialists, give or take three four or more, doesnt excite me.

Sorry. NY talks Henry. Anelka. We talk Bas Ent. I dont even need super stars. Anyway, we still have the same roster as before. Yawn. I guess the work the interim group didnt impress.

dude really?
Anelka is a rumor and decided he wants to go to NY himself, this conversation has been had a billion times. TO is not LA or NY and it never will be. Of course the Interim group didnt impress. Would you be willing to leave europe because earl cochrane in toronto, ontario, canada called? Id be willing to bet all these players are the work of our current FO and not the interim group. Also we need some of the same roster as before for consistency and the players we kept are capable of good things, its not like we kept Hscanovic around.

Pachuco
02-11-2011, 09:54 AM

currently on trial

more to come

Dude, I don't know where you are getting your list from (2010 trialists), but that's incomplete. Off the top of my head you are missing Usanov, Hscanovic, Ibrahim Said and Dan Gargan. Three of which were signed.

I am 100% confident that your point is invalid. We have pretty close to the same number of trialists as we've had over the years. In fact, I"m willing to bet 2009 was even crazier. I remember everybody and their mother showing up for a trial. Fat guys who showed up and played like a half game and were sent packing.

I think you are downplaying the number of trialists Mojo brought in over the years.

EDIT: Just remembered Adrian Cann, who could forget. That puts us at more trialists for 2010 then we have so far.

menefreghista
02-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Isn't that list incomplete for 2010? Wasn't Cann a trialist?

ManUtd4ever
02-11-2011, 10:26 AM
The other factor to keep in mind this season is that there are an unprecedented number of kids from the Academy, SuperDraft, and Supplemental Draft that have a realistic chance at earning a spot on the 30 man roster. Winter does not need to rely solely on trialists to fill out 15 spots on the roster, he only needs to sign a handful of quality trialists that are capable of making an impact with the first team.

drexel10
02-11-2011, 10:31 AM
The other factor to keep in mind this season is that there are an unprecedented number of kids from the Academy, SuperDraft, and Supplemental Draft that have a realistic chance at earning a spot on the 30 man roster. Winter does not need to rely solely on trialists to fill out 15 spots on the roster, he only needs to sign a handful of quality trialists that are capable of making an impact with the first team.

and a larger roster size, so more room for error.

Stouffville_RPB
02-11-2011, 11:00 AM

So you don't care how training camp is going?

It is more info than we've heard from any other source about how training and the new coaching regime operates. Whether he's been released or not it is the best look we've had so far as to how things are going.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Dude, I don't know where you are getting your list from (2010 trialists), but that's incomplete. Off the top of my head you are missing Usanov, Hscanovic, Ibrahim Said and Dan Gargan. Three of which were signed.

I am 100% confident that your point is invalid. We have pretty close to the same number of trialists as we've had over the years. In fact, I"m willing to bet 2009 was even crazier. I remember everybody and their mother showing up for a trial. Fat guys who showed up and played like a half game and were sent packing.

I think you are downplaying the number of trialists Mojo brought in over the years.

EDIT: Just remembered Adrian Cann, who could forget. That puts us at more trialists for 2010 then we have so far.

i got it off this forum.
Id love to compare them over the years.
How many of those previous trialists were there for a game and then shipped off?
I appreciate your cynicism and theres much reason for it but i cant be bothered to join in the paranoia bit of it

Ossington Mental Youth
02-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Thats not to mention that we never signed players (outside of Cann and Gargan) in much needed positions (strikers, wingers, fullbacks)

DangerRed
02-11-2011, 11:23 AM
So you don't care how training camp is going?

It is more info than we've heard from any other source about how training and the new coaching regime operates. Whether he's been released or not it is the best look we've had so far as to how things are going.

Read my other post: Ent is repeating the same platitude bullshit that Gargan, Frei and Winter have been talking: "everything is great, we're working hard, learning a lot, new system, great facility, having a blast."

I care when a guy on the team is saying that much more than some guy who we're passing on. For the second time. In as many years.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-11-2011, 11:26 AM
also note that Usanov and Hscanovic were never trialists (do a search), they were signed. i could be wrong (its happened before) but i wasnt able to find anything on here that indicated that they were ever on trial.

P-NUTZ
02-11-2011, 11:29 AM
one thing that might be worth considering is the timeline Winters group is given to 'produce' or 'turn things around'.

for all i know, he may be just starting a 2 or 3 year plan to make the team most competitive, which means we could still have a silly roster and suck eggs this year without it reflecting on the plan Winter was allowed to stick to.

Pachuco
02-11-2011, 11:30 AM
i got it off this forum.
Id love to compare them over the years.
How many of those previous trialists were there for a game and then shipped off?
I appreciate your cynicism and theres much reason for it but i cant be bothered to join in the paranoia bit of it

We just did a comparison. And so far, your point shows not to be true.

This has nothing to do with cynicism at all. I was questioning how it is that some of you know that this regime is doing all the right things. You said it's because of the number of trialists. We just proved to you that it's been the same as it's always been. Until we signed some players, you don't really have anything to go on with your point.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-11-2011, 12:40 PM
no, i didnt just say it was only because of the trialists (which we will have more this year), tho that is one factor. I also said some of the results were better (ie scoring in play, as well as winning and tieing against two top teams) were important and better than last year. We can argue this until we are blue in the face and we're not likely to agree.

J .
02-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Hey, Im just saying that its very similar. We have basically the same team that tanked it for three months, with no replacements for the guys who left. More trialists doesn't mean better team.

Also, just saying that NY is in the conversation for big names.

Im not buying into anymore 4-5 year plans. I think that is ridiculous when you look at the fluidity of MLS. Mojo got a licence to fail. The new management staff and the TFC FO do not deserve it.

Should they just sign people just because, no, but as of right this moment, nothing has changed.

ManUtd4ever
02-11-2011, 12:56 PM
We just did a comparison. And so far, your point shows not to be true.

This has nothing to do with cynicism at all. I was questioning how it is that some of you know that this regime is doing all the right things. You said it's because of the number of trialists. We just proved to you that it's been the same as it's always been. Until we signed some players, you don't really have anything to go on with your point.

Until players are actually signed you're right. But you can't deny that the process started much earlier this time around, which will hopefully allow the full squad to be in place prior to the start of the regular season. I'm sick of starting the season behind the 8 ball...

Pachuco
02-11-2011, 01:03 PM
no, i didnt just say it was only because of the trialists (which we will have more this year), tho that is one factor. I also said some of the results were better (ie scoring in play, as well as winning and tieing against two top teams) were important and better than last year. We can argue this until we are blue in the face and we're not likely to agree.

Nobody is arguing, we were just disagreeing around the trialists thing. So hopefully that is squashed now.

As for the results being better, it does seem to me that the quality of trialists may be better based on those results. But that could just mean we can't afford them in the end. Many a times we've seen good trialists come and go because of money. The most notable has to be Kiki :).

At the end of the day, until Winter signs some players and is able to implement his system I'm not sure how anyone can give him the credit some have given him in this thread. Statements like "this team is already more tactically organized then Preki's team" are hard to believe when we are talking about trialists who just arrived to play in Turkey. This isn't Winter's tactics at work, this is the quality of trialists at work. I'll be the first to give him credit for that. But that to me amounts to nothing if we don't sign atleast the good ones we find.

drexel10
02-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Hey, Im just saying that its very similar. We have basically the same team that tanked it for three months, with no replacements for the guys who left. More trialists doesn't mean better team.

Also, just saying that NY is in the conversation for big names.

Im not buying into anymore 4-5 year plans. I think that is ridiculous when you look at the fluidity of MLS. Mojo got a licence to fail. The new management staff and the TFC FO do not deserve it.

Should they just sign people just because, no, but as of right this moment, nothing has changed.

Funny that you bring NY up. A year ago they were in a very similar situation as we were and all of a sudden a rookie sensation (Tim Ream) and great signing (Lindpere) later, they are comfortable in the table 7 games in. A year later and New York looks poised to be the best team in the league.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Statements like "this team is already more tactically organized then Preki's team" are hard to believe when we are talking about trialists who just arrived to play in Turkey.

totally agree with you on this, we definitely dont know until we are well into several games of the season (or arguably the seasons done)

This isn't Winter's tactics at work, this is the quality of trialists at work.

Id argue it would prob be the combination of the two, you can have a ton of great players but if they got noone to lead them and no structure to go by...

Pachuco
02-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Until players are actually signed you're right. But you can't deny that the process started much earlier this time around, which will hopefully allow the full squad to be in place prior to the start of the regular season. I'm sick of starting the season behind the 8 ball...

I agree with you there. I'm happy with the fact we are playing some games early on and against the best oposition we have seen in pre-season. I think it would be very telling if come Carolina we've brought some of these guys back and actually put pen to paper. There's an opportunity to make this the best preseason yet. If it happens, I'll be the first to congratulate Winter and Co.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-11-2011, 01:54 PM
to be fair the lack of signings may speak to the possible quality of the future trialists in florida. Ya dont want to sign all these dudes to find you got better guys down there.

TFCDP
02-11-2011, 05:21 PM
^^ You would think the new regime would have a better shot at bringing in quality trialists from Europe rather than S. America.. Who has the connections in S. America?

Ossington Mental Youth
02-11-2011, 05:30 PM
dunno, dont want to speculate. I will however speculate that our new FO will prob bring in better players than MoJo did

TFCDP
02-11-2011, 05:31 PM
^^ That, I don't doubt.

Yohan
02-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Funny that you bring NY up. A year ago they were in a very similar situation as we were and all of a sudden a rookie sensation (Tim Ream) and great signing (Lindpere) later, they are comfortable in the table 7 games in. A year later and New York looks poised to be the best team in the league.
more of a fluke...

best MLS teams in last 5 years built their team over min 2 seasons

Ossington Mental Youth
02-11-2011, 06:17 PM
it does help they opened up alot of cap room and dumped alot of players (NYRB), oddly enough much like us, however we have yet to see if we can sign as many effective efficiant players as well as put together an effective style of play

J .
02-11-2011, 06:24 PM
more of a fluke...

Seattle?

Yohan
02-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Seattle?
after good first season, finished what, 6th and knocked out in first round of playoffs. did win US open cup though

drexel10
02-11-2011, 11:33 PM
more of a fluke...

Um, I would believe that there was some prior knowledge to Lindpere. Ream was a fluke perhaps, but my point was that we new they would get better, but not that quickly. I brought New york up because a lot like us right now, we could potentially find a Lindpere that nobody knows, but really we have no idea yet. Seatle did the same with Montero and Hurtado their first year.

J .
02-12-2011, 03:14 AM
after good first season, finished what, 6th and knocked out in first round of playoffs. did win US open cup though

I dont get your point. Ok Im right, next season they sort of flopped? Ok providing that MLS is a fluid league?

Regardless, I would caution against getting hopes up over any plan that does not include winning now. This isnt other North American sports leagues where the draft is a proven way of winning, after losing for 5+ years.

Be optimistic, but if your disappointed, and I sincerely hope people are not - I want this club to win- lets be realists. This club right now is not good enough.

scooter
02-12-2011, 08:10 AM
The clips are enough for me to see some of that (as a former youth coach, I notice certain things in positioning and passing, believe me the clips are enough for that), but I've been saying all along that until we see the team in Charleston, it's too early to really judge. It's certainly too early to know if the team will be a winner. So we're not really that far apart in our views. Maybe you're an "8" on the cynicism scale, and I'm a "6." :D

i too see a lot of positives in the training clips i have watched

plus what the players are saying---cann and frei especially

not really interested in mero's bs -- sure cant trust what he says. too bad he was not released from camp

its great to see winter and klerk on the pitch with the boys with hands on demo's and encouragement working on movement and ball control

if you watch closely you will see winter's comfort on the ball he is obviously a technical footballer with a great touch
:scarf:
i hear the other side too and we have all been disappointed by the hype in the past but oh dear god lets hope they get it right this year

Pookie
02-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Hey, maybe all those guys weren't on trial, they were just training with a top North American side to get a feel for how it was done?

Oldtimer
02-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Hey, maybe all those guys weren't on trial, they were just training with a top North American side to get a feel for how it was done?

:lol:

Well, I sure hope they got permission then! ;)

bman27
02-17-2011, 01:18 AM
dont know where the source is from but got this off twitter

TorontoFCasn TFC ASN
Reports saying Bas Ent is pissed because he was promised a contract from #TFC... Threatening legal action and going to FIFA! Whaaa!! #MLS

TorontoFCasn TFC ASN
To provide more detail: Apparently Bas Ent was offered a 3 year contract by previous #TFC management.. New management don't want him!

TorontoFCasn TFC ASN
To continue... Bas Ent is trying to go to #MLS to try and earn a contract.. if not he might go back to his old club! #TFC

sounds like we are better off without him on the team IMO but hopefully this just goes away

hope to see more about this in the morning

Red CB Toronto
02-17-2011, 01:45 AM
I would be curious what would have happened if the interim management team had actually signed someone to a long term contract like Ent or Ornoch. How would have Winter, Mariner and company reacted being stuff with someone they did not want.

colman1860
02-17-2011, 02:04 AM
I'd say Winter, Mariner and company are already stuck with lots of people they don't want...

Milky
02-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Colman, out of curiosity, are you an 1860 Munich fan?