PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,Feb.10

denime
02-10-2011, 06:19 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

Toronto FC v. Dinamo Zagreb (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/02/toronto-fc-v-dinamo-zagreb)

Frei Determined Ahead Of Dinamo (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/02/frei-determined-ahead-dinamo)

Canada Unable To Overcome Greece (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/02/canada-unable-overcome-greece)

Greece beats Canada in soccer friendly (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/02/09/sp-greece-canada.html)

Greece beats Canada 1-0 in friendly (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/greece-beats-canada-1-0-in-friendly/article1900430/)

Second-half marker gives Greece 1-0 win over Canada (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/935651--second-half-marker-gives-greece-1-0-win-over-canada)

CSA reaches out to women's team coach Morace (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/02/09/sp-csa-dispute.html)

Cause of rift between women’s coach, soccer body still unclear (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/936063--cause-of-rift-between-women-s-coach-soccer-body-still-unclear)

Money key to Canadian women's World Cup soccer impasse (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/money-key-to-canadian-womens-world-cup-soccer-impasse/article1901232/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Wagner
02-10-2011, 06:38 AM
And it's supposed to be Schedule day today!!
my summer social calendar will be altered accordingly.

Thrillos
02-10-2011, 07:43 AM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2011/02/10/2345963/san-jose-earthquakes-sign-chris-wondolowski-to-a-new-deal

Isn't this crazy, San Jose actually acknowledged the fact that Wondolowski was a key player for them last season and gave him a raise...........

Stouffville_RPB
02-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Morning D!

To go along with Wagner's point there is more to celebrate today. TFC schedule comes out and it seems like the Sun has figured out how to get a steady dosage of above average SSG's lately.

If the Sun can figure out consistency so can TFC!

Sweeper
02-10-2011, 08:10 AM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2011/02/10/2345963/san-jose-earthquakes-sign-chris-wondolowski-to-a-new-deal

Isn't this crazy, San Jose actually acknowledged the fact that Wondolowski was a key player for them last season and gave him a raise...........

Would love to know exactly what the raise is since he was only making $48 000/year to begin with....Did Wondolowski make a late season cheque signing gesture or something???

scooter
02-10-2011, 08:27 AM
mornin d

csa----absolutely disgusting that they are nickel and diming the wnt especially when it comes to training budget and giving players a living wage --- no fookin wonder we cant get things going
shame on the csa once again

Oldtimer
02-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Would love to know exactly what the raise is since he was only making $48 000/year to begin with....Did Wondolowski make a late season cheque signing gesture or something???

They didn't make him a DP. He should refuse to play or something...

mastermixer
02-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Speaking of cheque signings... I think I saw DeRo at the Starbucks this morning by my work. I guess he came home early instead of going back to Turkey.

TFCRegina
02-10-2011, 09:03 AM
SSG :hump: :D

Parkdale
02-10-2011, 09:11 AM
if anyone finds the schedule..... post the link in here ASAP.

I have many months to plan for!

Ossington Mental Youth
02-10-2011, 09:19 AM

question is can he recreate his form

sidvan
02-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Speaking of cheque signings... I think I saw DeRo at the Starbucks this morning by my work. I guess he came home early instead of going back to Turkey.
from DeRo's twitter:

dwaynederosario Travelling to Istanbul then to Antalya.

Oldtimer
02-10-2011, 09:22 AM
^ Must be Dwayne's evil twin who was sighted in T.O. :lol:

mastermixer
02-10-2011, 09:25 AM
from DeRo's twitter:

dwaynederosario Travelling to Istanbul then to Antalya.

Haha... Guess I need to make an appointment with my Eye doctor :facepalm:

DangerRed
02-10-2011, 09:43 AM

Look at that -- a Golden Boot winner gets a raise, but no DP status. Don't they know he needs to provide for his family, can only continue earning for another 5 or 6 years, so he should be paid $1.7 million RIGHT NOW???!?!?!

In all seriousness, the kid is probably making well into six figures like he deserves, up from his $48,000 in 2010 and is happy as can be. Our captain, on the other hand...

Fort York Redcoat
02-10-2011, 09:54 AM
“She doesn’t want more money, but she wants the discretion to spend it how she thinks it should be spent,” Moscato said. “If she thinks we need to spend it on another game or on fitness testing it should be boom, done. Right now she has to jump through hoops.”

-If this is the case, give her the $$ for the program and leave her to winning. CSA you have someone to blame if things go wrong.

"the players haven’t received what they want – a predictable stipend"
"As national team athletes, players receive $18,000 annually, tax free, from the federal government"

-That's predictable. Low but predictable.

"the women’s team trains together three times longer than the men do, but Moscato says it seems reasonable that the women receive a comparable amount overall, even if it’s for more time spent training. “We’re not seeking the same arrangement,” she said. “But the bottom line should be the same.”

-When the Men's and Women's World Cups are comparable, when turnout for games are comparable, then and only then should the womens program get the same bottom line.

"The women’s team gets 18 per cent of the CSA’s budget of $18-million to $19-million, says Montopoli, compared with about 13 per cent for the men – though that might be expected given the women are in a World Cup year and the men aren’t."

-I don't care if it's the year of the Women's world cup-that number 18% compared to the Men's 13% is unexpected and shocking.

Oldtimer
02-10-2011, 10:16 AM
-I don't care if it's the year of the Women's world cup-that number 18% compared to the Men's 13% is unexpected and shocking.

The fact that only 31% (18% + 13%) of the CSA's budget is devoted to our senior teams winning is the most shocking of all.

I'm not so shocked that the women's team receives more. The men's team has many financial advantages due to its players playing for clubs, a luxury that few women have.

Fort York Redcoat
02-10-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm not so shocked that the women's team receives more. The men's team has many financial advantages due to its players playing for clubs, a luxury that few women have.

This reasoning escapes me. The Mens program should have every priority. Because they are paid professionals that people want to watch week in week out they should not be compensated less. It speaks volumes and reflects on the image of the sport in this country.

Whoop
02-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Like oldtimer said that 31% is pretty bad.

I understand you need to grow the game but where is the rest of the money going?

OurGame
02-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Things are heating up for the better in the Canadian soccer landscape .. and what do you know it took the women to pave the way ..

2014 should be where our soccer dollars get going as well :):) brazillll

Go Canada in 2011/ Germany

Fort York Redcoat
02-10-2011, 10:57 AM
^Lets not discount certain Canada players that boycotted before this.

keem-o-sabi
02-10-2011, 11:07 AM

I'm sure he just worked his butt off and didn't work to get 3-4 coaches fired over a couple teams he was on.

Auzzy
02-10-2011, 11:13 AM
This reasoning escapes me. The Mens program should have every priority. Because they are paid professionals that people want to watch week in week out they should not be compensated less. It speaks volumes and reflects on the image of the sport in this country.

OK here it goes. I don't agree with Fort York Redcoat's basic reasoning, no matter how often he repeats these same points in various threads (and perhaps even on various websites?). First off, nobody thinks the men should be compensated less.

- Government, sports organizations, and sponsors fund various amateur & semi-pro sports, precisely because they don't bring in lots of revenue directly. See most of the Olympic sports. It's considered important for the sports themselves, as role models for kids, for national pride & international prestige, and for the general revenue that events like the Olympics & other sporting events bring in, etc etc.

- The funding of the women's & men's teams doesn't have to be a zero sum game. It seems the general operating funding for the women (controlled by the coach & the program) is pretty good; CSA mostly has to give Morace more control, and especially it seems CSA needs to get their asses in gear & stop taking years to decide things & respond to requests. It seems the same general funding of the men's team (although a bit better than in previous years) is still far too low. It should be significantly increased (w/o stealing that money from the women). More games, tournaments & training camps, better travel arrangements, better promotion of men's games, more money for coaches & trainers, and so much more.

- On the other hand, regarding player compensation, it seems the pay directly to the players is OK for the men's team (but we can't be sure: there haven't been any complaints AFAIK and the CSA won't publicize the amounts or the contract arrangements that they have with the men). The direct compensation to the players on the women's team is far too low. Cdn women get $18,000/year base pay, and the pay for games, wins, etc is on an ad-hoc basis, and decided far too late. US women get $50,000 to $70,000 base pay, and pre-determined bonuses for games, results, etc, negotiated way in advance. Base pay for the Cdn women should be significantly increased, and everything negotiated in advance, not at the start of each tournament etc (not sure how much the players are asking).

It will be impossible to keep enough of the best women in the game, practicing & playing together enough throughout the year, w/o better direct compensation to the players. On the women's side it's amateurs or semi-pros who need funding to survive and so they have time to train; on the men's side it's pros who mostly already make a very good income & get lots of training with their pro teams around the world.

Both programs have to get better. CSA shouldn't need to make the men's program worse in order to help the women, nor vice versa.

How? First of all, the CSA should fire itself yesterday, and get people in there with either very good understanding of the top-level game, or of business, or both. Why does the men's team have relatively good revenue (compared only to the Cdn women; not compared to other countries)? That's not thanks to the CSA. Lots of the revenue is from opponent's fans attending games in Canada & making them away games at home (nothing for CSA to be proud of). Or in some happy cases, because groups like the V's, TFC fans, and other teams & groups have stepped up & promoted the games, to make up for CSA's repeated failures.

Why aren't the women's games better attended? Partially because the advertisement & promotion by CSA has been piss-poor. Look at the women's Gold Cup games in Mexico, when Mexico was playing: those games were very well attended. Despite the women's game having a much lower profile in Mexico, with far fewer female players and much less history, when compared with Canada. Germany is planning to raise the bar at the Women's World Cup this summer, by selling a very large number of tickets & probably even selling out some huge stadiums for important games (at reasonable prices). They won't be doing that by sticking their fingers up their butts as they push paper around on their desks.

- Of course sponsorship money in Canada sucks, for both the men's and women's teams. Another reason for CSA to sack itself yesterday. What successful company would want to give money to sponsor that rotting carcass of an organization?

Thrillos
02-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Wondolowski will probably be getting well over a 100% increase in pay after only one season of production when in previous season he was a fringe player...

On another note, I wouldn't mind if someone could clear something up for me if they have more knowledge on the subject.
In the new MLS roster rules this season I noticed that the max a non-dp can make was 325k (not sure on exact number, the key here is that it's less than DeRo's current salary, and don't feel like searching for the exact number).

So based on these new rules would DeRo not have to either take a pay cut or be bumped up to a DP????

Fort York Redcoat
02-10-2011, 11:59 AM
OK here it goes. I don't agree with Fort York Redcoat's basic reasoning, no matter how often he repeats these same points in various threads (and perhaps even on various websites?). First off, nobody thinks the men should be compensated less.

- Government, sports organizations, and sponsors fund various amateur & semi-pro sports, precisely because they don't bring in lots of revenue directly. See most of the Olympic sports. It's considered important for the sports themselves, as role models for kids, for national pride & international prestige, and for the general revenue that events like the Olympics & other sporting events bring in, etc etc.

- The funding of the women's & men's teams doesn't have to be a zero sum game. It seems the general operating funding for the women (controlled by the coach & the program) is pretty good; CSA mostly has to give Morace more control, and especially it seems CSA needs to get their asses in gear & stop taking years to decide things & respond to requests. It seems the same general funding of the men's team (although a bit better than in previous years) is still far too low. It should be significantly increased (w/o stealing that money from the women). More games, tournaments & training camps, better travel arrangements, better promotion of men's games, more money for coaches & trainers, and so much more.

- On the other hand, regarding player compensation, it seems the pay directly to the players is OK for the men's team (but we can't be sure: there haven't been any complaints AFAIK and the CSA won't publicize the amounts or the contract arrangements that they have with the men). The direct compensation to the players on the women's team is far too low. Cdn women get $18,000/year base pay, and the pay for games, wins, etc is on an ad-hoc basis, and decided far too late. US women get $50,000 to $70,000 base pay, and pre-determined bonuses for games, results, etc, negotiated way in advance. Base pay for the Cdn women should be significantly increased, and everything negotiated in advance, not at the start of each tournament etc (not sure how much the players are asking).

It will be impossible to keep enough of the best women in the game, practicing & playing together enough throughout the year, w/o better direct compensation to the players. On the women's side it's amateurs or semi-pros who need funding to survive and so they have time to train; on the men's side it's pros who mostly already make a very good income & get lots of training with their pro teams around the world.

Both programs have to get better. CSA shouldn't need to make the men's program worse in order to help the women, nor vice versa.

How? First of all, the CSA should fire itself yesterday, and get people in there with either very good understanding of the top-level game, or of business, or both. Why does the men's team have relatively good revenue (compared only to the Cdn women; not compared to other countries)? That's not thanks to the CSA. Lots of the revenue is from opponent's fans attending games in Canada & making them away games at home (nothing for CSA to be proud of). Or in some happy cases, because groups like the V's, TFC fans, and other teams & groups have stepped up & promoted the games, to make up for CSA's repeated failures.

Why aren't the women's games better attended? Partially because the advertisement & promotion by CSA has been piss-poor. Look at the women's Gold Cup games in Mexico, when Mexico was playing: those games were very well attended. Despite the women's game having a much lower profile in Mexico, with far fewer female players and much less history, when compared with Canada. Germany is planning to raise the bar at the Women's World Cup this summer, by selling a very large number of tickets & probably even selling out some huge stadiums for important games (at reasonable prices). They won't be doing that by sticking their fingers up their butts as they push paper around on their desks.

- Of course sponsorship money in Canada sucks, for both the men's and women's teams. Another reason for CSA to sack itself yesterday. What successful company would want to give money to sponsor that rotting carcass of an organization?

Okay. A thoughtful response.

So I'm assuming the rate of change withing the CSA isn't fast enough for you (I agree. I'd have liked to see pkg A implemented on the weekend as well) but blowing up the CSA needs more of a definition. Do you mean that a brand new Association would be able to garner more funds from corporate Canada? On what grounds?

rocker
02-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Wondolowski will probably be getting well over a 100% increase in pay after only one season of production when in previous season he was a fringe player...

On another note, I wouldn't mind if someone could clear something up for me if they have more knowledge on the subject.
In the new MLS roster rules this season I noticed that the max a non-dp can make was 325k (not sure on exact number, the key here is that it's less than DeRo's current salary, and don't feel like searching for the exact number).

So based on these new rules would DeRo not have to either take a pay cut or be bumped up to a DP????

max non-dp salary is 335K. beyond that, more salary may be paid with allocation money. Doesn't mean he has to take a pay cut or become a DP. Also, since this is his third year and his option was picked up, De Ro doesn't have to take a pay cut. It would be up to the team to have the allocation money to pay him the extra beyond 335K.

I'm not sure how it works, but it's possible that allocation money was already allocated when he signed the contract two years ago. I'd like to know if that's possible or if the allocation money must come from the current season.

Auzzy
02-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Okay. A thoughtful response.

So I'm assuming the rate of change withing the CSA isn't fast enough for you (I agree. I'd have liked to see pkg A implemented on the weekend as well) but blowing up the CSA needs more of a definition. Do you mean that a brand new Association would be able to garner more funds from corporate Canada? On what grounds?

Thanks. I'm worried about the long wait until 2015, and what might happen in the meantime. I'm also worried about some of the hold-out provinces. This in a time where the general environment could be very positive: soon three Cdn MLS teams; Cdn MLS Academies developing nicely; CMNT starting to trend upward; possibility of a top WMNT result this summer; & chance to host the next Women's world cup. Those could all be things to help with selling tickets and getting sponsors, but I'm afraid the CSA won't be able to capitalize.

For starters, just to avoid some of the horrible events of recent years would help with sponsorship & with fan interest. We know about all the debacles, from hired & fired CMNT coaches, the FIFA U20 results at home, Mitchell then on to the CMNT & ensuing controversy, the total meltdown in Alberta, and so much more. Now there was a glimpse of light on the women's side, but it's turning out messy as well. I think all that actively scares away sponsors & fans.

I should get back to work now, can't get into ways to actively entice corporate Canada, but there are lots of ways; many other organizations and countries are doing a better job. Then there's the question of promoting & pricing games. I mean, 5000 attendance in Toronto for the women's friendly vs China was a joke last September (actual attendance was more like 3000). I think the prices started at $25 for supporters sections; a joke for a women's friendly on a weekday. Through my kid's school, I know people who are very active in both girls' & boys' soccer. They hadn't even heard that there was a game (and would have been interested). I think with a more dynamic, engaged CSA, they could have gotten triple the attendance, especially by selling more low-cost tickets via soccer clubs etc. (How the heck DID they get so many spectators for some of the women youth games in Edmonton a few years ago??)

Parkdale
02-10-2011, 02:01 PM
NEWS:: Schedule is out for 2011

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=26515

^ discussion thread

Thrillos
02-10-2011, 04:23 PM
max non-dp salary is 335K. beyond that, more salary may be paid with allocation money. Doesn't mean he has to take a pay cut or become a DP. Also, since this is his third year and his option was picked up, De Ro doesn't have to take a pay cut. It would be up to the team to have the allocation money to pay him the extra beyond 335K.

I'm not sure how it works, but it's possible that allocation money was already allocated when he signed the contract two years ago. I'd like to know if that's possible or if the allocation money must come from the current season.

That's interesting, I seem to remember from the Mo days that allocation changed from year to year, because if you remember he set alot of allocation hoping that Carver's second year with the team and a high salary would be the perfect storm for a Playoff run.

In the end he pissed off Carver and it all unravelled, but the following year we dumped everyone because we were way over salary and didn't have any allocation to lower it when preki came in.

So theoretically (assumming it does in fact change every year and not set for the duration of the contract) then it would benefit TFC to set DeRo as a DP and use allocation on someone elses contract to free up even more cap space.