PDA

View Full Version : MLS Pre-Season Power Rankings

boban
02-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Don't know if this was posted before but SBNation.com has issued their preseason power rankings.
I know its early, even for preseason, but nobody is buying the turn around of our beloved club. We are ranked 3rd last.

It looks like they feel RSL, LA, NYRB, and Dallas are fighting it out for the shield this year....

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2011/2/7/1978840/mls-preseason-power-rankings-real-salt-lake-only-unanimous-tier-1-team

prizby
02-09-2011, 07:58 PM
rankings are a complete joke...love to know how they were done LOL

rocker
02-09-2011, 08:30 PM
some humour in them: "At Least There's No Relegation" category. haha.

Columbus has really dropped in the eyes of the experts.

Darlofletch
02-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Sounds about right to me, we were a shambles, and now we've got half of that shambolic squad, with no high quality replacements signed yet, and a completely unproven coach.

Winter and co sound impressive, and hopefully it will work out, but there's nothing concrete to base a more optimistic opinion around as of yet.

very amused to see Vancouver get absolutely 0 points.

Oldtimer
02-09-2011, 09:25 PM
I saw this way back and didn't post it because all of the teams have turnover, and its really silly to try to predict things based on last year.

Cashcleaner
02-09-2011, 09:26 PM
^ Couldn't agree with you more. Power rankings posted in the second week of the season doesn't make a lot of sense, let alone during the preseason.

I don't want this taken the wrong way, but I think Vancouver will have a fairly strong season despite the obvious handicap they face as an expansion club.

jloome
02-09-2011, 09:47 PM
^ Couldn't agree with you more. Power rankings posted in the second week of the season doesn't make a lot of sense, let alone during the preseason.

I don't want this taken the wrong way, but I think Vancouver will have a fairly strong season despite the obvious handicap they face as an expansion club.

I suspect Vancouver's in for a world of hurt. They're going to have serious scoring problems.

rocker
02-09-2011, 10:49 PM
I see a bit more MLS quality talent, particularly with the addition of Cooper, on Portland than Vancouver.

Oldtimer
02-10-2011, 08:34 AM

... and you see all the time big swings in results, especially in strong parity leagues. For example, in pointyball, the Patriots were Superbowl finalists one year, and didn't make the playoffs the next. In our own league, New York was dead bottom one year, and had a respectable run the next. LA also had massive swings in results.

drewski
02-10-2011, 09:27 AM
rankings are a complete joke...love to know how they were done LOL

and they agree with you ;)

The start of the MLS season is now a little more than five weeks away (March 19 for those of you wondering), but that shouldn't stop us from giving our totally speculative opinions on how good various MLS sides are going to be before they've even settled on their rosters, let alone played a game. That's basically a long way of saying that these rankings, especially right now, are supposed to be little more than fun conversation starters.

I saw this way back and didn't post it because all of the teams have turnover, and its really silly to try to predict things based on last year.

sound like they did take turnover into account

Neither of those teams got appreciably better in the off-season. Real Salt Lake's biggest loss was Robbie Findley, but he was only a part-time starter anyway. The Galaxy lost Edson Buddle (http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/mls/players/111203/edson-buddle), a significant loss to be sure, but he is replaced by Juan Pablo Angel (http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/mls/players/111081/juan-pablo-angel). If you liked these teams last year, there's really no reason to not feel good about them this year

Parkdale
02-10-2011, 09:29 AM
very amused to see Vancouver get absolutely 0 points.

all expansions should start at zero (IMO) because there's zero record to base the assessment upon.

anything other than that, would just be speculation.

Technorgasm
02-10-2011, 09:39 AM
I took a power shit this morning. . . . lets rank that. . .

Technorgasm
02-10-2011, 09:55 AM
I am suddenly REALLY craving a snickers bar. . .

Damien
02-10-2011, 03:26 PM
MLS is a crapshoot with the salary cap... u never know whats gonna happen with injuries and mid-season signings.

Look at the mls cup finals... Dallas vs Colorado. How many "experts" predicted that.

DUMB!

jloome
02-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Not fond of sites with popups. Don't think I'll be going back