PDA

View Full Version : Beckham the Samaritan

Damien
02-09-2011, 04:46 PM
BECKHAM PULLS OVER TO HELPS STRANDED FAMILY DURING RUSH HOUR
http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=353112

Beckham pulled over in the middle of morning rush hour near a busy roundabout in the southeast English town of Ware to assist photographer Paul Long and his two children.

Long, who had been ignored by other motorists before the football star came to his rescue, said Beckham "asked if we were OK -- I said, 'Can you give us a push over to the side?' which he duly did."

TorontoGooner
02-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Why was he in Ware? That's in Dorset, a good 100 miles away?!

Good on him though, he may not be the most popular be he seems like an alright bloke

flatpicker
02-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Well, that sure gives the family something to talk about at dinner parties.

TFCDP
02-09-2011, 06:57 PM
What a hero:rolleyes:

kodiakTFC
02-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Beckham is a good guy and how athletes should behave, its undeniable. We like to rag on him but in reality he has done A TON for MLS. Most people wouldn't even know the league exists if it wasn't for him.

Oblio2
02-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Why was he in Ware? That's in Dorset, a good 100 miles away?!

Good on him though, he may not be the most popular be he seems like an alright bloke

Nope.Hertfordshire. Ware is near Harlow-Essex, my hometown. My cousins live in Ware. Beckhams house is in Sawbridgeworth, Herts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ware,_Hertfordshire

ag futbol
02-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Didn't you know? Footballers generosity knows no bounds.

Exhibit A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oF6fHBrQ5c

Milky
02-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Now if only LA Galaxy fans could learn to see how good he is!

drewski
02-10-2011, 09:19 AM

you're rolling your eyes at a guy for being a good samaritan?

I think it's nice he did that and should be thanked/congratulated. we'd be in a better world if more people did random acts of kindness like this.

nobodybeatsthewiz
02-10-2011, 09:42 AM
^ would that remain your answer, drewski, if you insert any scouse player where 'beckham' is? ;)

TFCDP
02-10-2011, 09:44 AM
you're rolling your eyes at a guy for being a good samaritan?

I think it's nice he did that and should be thanked/congratulated. we'd be in a better world if more people did random acts of kindness like this.

I realize he's a good guy and all and thats he's done so much for the MLS... I just hope it wasn't one of those situations where he saw a PR move ripe for the taking and then made sure it got back to the media... But yes, 9.8 out of 10 footballers wouldn't have stopped and I agree with you that we need more people like that around.

MartinUtd
02-10-2011, 09:49 AM
That's pretty cynical. I think at this point in his career he's beyond stunts like that to raise his profile.

ACSertL
02-10-2011, 09:49 AM
^ would that remain your answer, drewski, if you insert any scouse player where 'beckham' is? ;)

Urge to make joke about hubcaps rising....:lol:

Parkdale
02-10-2011, 09:50 AM
I've heard a similar story about Chad Kreuger (sp) from Nickleback.
Just it involved using his truck to pull some kid's car out of a snowy ditch.

Maybe it's a classic PR urban legend?

DangerRed
02-10-2011, 09:55 AM
I heard that story too. Except Kruger, being a huge douche, simply laid down under the stuck car, inflated himself, and set the car free.

drewski
02-10-2011, 10:00 AM
I realize he's a good guy and all and thats he's done so much for the MLS... I just hope it wasn't one of those situations where he saw a PR move ripe for the taking and then made sure it got back to the media... But yes, 9.8 out of 10 footballers wouldn't have stopped and I agree with you that we need more people like that around.

looking at the source of the article, the person who was helped, not Beckham's people, I wouldn't think it was a PR ploy, and if it was, it was a poor one in that he could only hope it got into the MSM.

drewski
02-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Caps player did similar thing after Game 7 loss in playoffs last year

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/After-Game-7-loss-Capitals-Laich-fixes-tire-fo?urn=nhl-237745

drewski
02-10-2011, 10:04 AM

I plead the 5th :lol:

Beach_Red
02-10-2011, 10:05 AM

The potential for it to backfire would seem too much, better to just stay in your car and drive by like everyone else did.

Was it last year that a hockey player (Washington Capitals, I think) stopped to help someone one his way home form the game that eliminated his team from the playoffs?

Oh, I see someone got that Caps player already.