PDA

View Full Version : [IDEA] Toronto FC Supporters Commitee

Technorgasm
02-03-2011, 12:17 PM
So, my other club, that Ilove and support with passion has instigated a new program.

I wanted to post it here, to see if maybe this might, one day, be an objective for Toronto FC supporters, including RPBs and the other groups. Or if it has been talked about, where are those talks and if this kind of thing has / will happen. I know that an MLS wide commitee has been discussed as well. . . . which Ihope gets steam and gets adopted.

I am sure we could organize a scheduled diaglouge each season, maybe even more than once a season to help improve our club. The game day experience, and common issues and objectives. Even a scheduled day to submit written suggestions, cudos and comments would be great.

(Although I fear it could degrade to a festivus type of greivance airing and feats of strength, knowing the hardline of antogonism and discontent many supporters seem to indulge in)

This is an excerpt from the site

The Supporters' Committee will consist of 18 fans who will represent all of the major stakeholder groups amongst our supporter base.

The Supporters' Committee will meet four times a season with senior Club staff - the owners will be present for at least two of the meetings - to discuss the issues and ask the questions that most affect them and the fans they represent.

The minutes of each meeting will be published online and in print for all of our supporters to read within 48 hours of the meeting ending.

The initial aims
1. To establish a forum for supporters to communicate directly with the Club in a structured manner
2. To help the Club better understand the issues that most affect and concern our fans
3. To give the Club an opportunity to explain the thinking behind key decisions
4. To enable fans to play a key role in helping the Club achieve success on and off the pitch
5. To provide a greater degree of transparency about key issues that affect supporters

The long term aims

1. To enhance the relationship between the Football Club and our supporters
2. To help ensure fans feel their loyalty is valued by the Football Club
3. To help improve the Football Club for the benefit of all supporters

Oblio2
02-03-2011, 12:21 PM
I mentioned the Spurs trust, which is basically the same thing a couple of times.....a little interest was given, but not a lot.

Their mission statement

The Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Trust informal mission statement is :-
· To help THFC achieve constant and sustained success.
· To unite and represent all Spurs’ fans and to exercise their collective power.
· To improve communication and understanding between the Club and its supporters.

http://www.tottenhamtrust.com/index.asp

DangerRed
02-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Sounds good on paper, but I doubt the FO will go for it. It feels like they think the town halls were more than enough.

TOBOR !
02-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Whether FO is interested in this or not, I think it would be beneficial for all TFC Supporter Groups to unite under one association anyway - the TFCSA.

Each group could still run itself independently of all the others, but when it come time for away travel or special TIFOs or demonstrations we may have an easier time organizing things and perhaps realize cost savings.

Also, I bet Front Office would be more interested in dealing with such a group, rather than each individual entity.

In essence, it becomes the same thing, but more in an Egg before the Chicken way (or do I have that backwards ?).

Oldtimer
02-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Sounds a lot like Section 8 for the Chicago Fire SC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8_Chicago

I can't see it happening, frankly. The other 2 main groups would see any such proposals from any RPB as an attempt at a take-over by RPB, and we want to have good relations with these groups. Any time this idea has been raised it has been met with hostility.

s2cazz
02-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Whether FO is interested in this or not, I think it would be beneficial for all TFC Supporter Groups to unite under one association anyway - the TFCSA.

Each group could still run itself independently of all the others, but when it come time for away travel or special TIFOs or demonstrations we may have an easier time organizing things and perhaps realize cost savings.

Also, I bet Front Office would be more interested in dealing with such a group, rather than each individual entity.

In essence, it becomes the same thing, but more in an Egg before the Chicken way (or do I have that backwards ?).
How would it be different than what we do now? There are only a few groups. A board with representatives from each of the groups would basically be the same as FO dealing with the Presidents of each group individualy. I only see it complicating things. But thats just my $0.02

Brooker
02-03-2011, 01:10 PM
No need.

menefreghista
02-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Maybe a committee like this could force the club to keep its promises, like allowing the supporter's groups to control the relocation of season tickets in their section.

Or are the promises used to appease fans when the renewal numbers were threateningly low?

TFCRegina
02-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Fascinating, I suggested something similar at the end of the season and was lambasted for it.

Oblio2
02-03-2011, 01:26 PM
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=24831&highlight=tottenham+trust

razor787
02-03-2011, 01:42 PM
I think it would be a great idea. All it has to be is a meeting with the presidents of the groups. It would hopefully resolve some issues that may pop up over the season, and give a unified voice to the supporters, to be heard louder, and get pushed around less.

Wagner
02-03-2011, 02:06 PM
it won't happen anytime soon.

U-sector has history.
RPB has their way of doing things.
TRN and NEE are smaller, and would feel that they'd be drowned out.

no real incentive.

maybe in a few years, when there has been significant turnover in each group.

TOBOR !
02-03-2011, 02:55 PM
back in the day I thought it would be a nice idea if all the groups were part of a larger organisation and communicated through another entity - ie - GOTORONTOFC (I think it was). Road trips and the like would be organised through that entity for the common good.

But, you know, come to think of it you generally need a reason to form organisations and without one (a real one) I guess there's no perceived benefit.

An idea before it's time, I reckon.