PDA

View Full Version : TSN Acquires MLS Rights

barticusz
02-01-2011, 07:18 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/tsn-acquires-mls-broadcast-rights/article1890791/

As can be seen above, TSN has taken over the broadcasting rights for MLS. I like this move as this means that the League will get much more coverage on Canada's biggest sports broadcasting company.

With Montreal coming in next year it's not surprise that TSN see's this as a League that will have a growing fanbase in Canada.

MartinUtd
02-01-2011, 07:24 PM
I don't like TSN at all. This chance is their golden opportunity to prove me and all those like me who think they'll still give preferential coverage to off season leafs rumours wrong.

ManUtd4ever
02-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Wow, I didn't see that coming. TSN's coverage of TFC related news has been underwhelming over the years but I guess that's about to change. Positive news for Canadian soccer overall...

Pachuco
02-01-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't know, I'd be interested in seeing who they hire for the MLS coverage. Maybe we'll see Vic and Dick covering MLS. One thing is for sure, I can't stand Gerry freeking Dobson doing play by play anymore. I sure as hell won't miss him if TSN took over. I will however miss Nigel and I would be saddened if he lost his job.

Yohan
02-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Hoping Nigel and Jason de Vos moves to TSN too

Wagner
02-01-2011, 07:41 PM
TSN basically created the WJHC.
TSN saved and elevated the CFL.
I'm eager to see what they do with MLS coverage in Canada.
I'm guessing CFL will be TSN, and MLS will be content for TSN2 in the summer time.

gmacpheetfc
02-01-2011, 07:43 PM
cbc is done essentially with full time soccer
will probz likely see de vos and reed get pulled into new tsn setup for full year gigs
champs league and euros and mls

billyfly
02-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Just another chess piece in the war of Bell/TSN vs Rogers/Sportsnet

swan
02-01-2011, 07:49 PM
this fuckin sucks for me i live in the state and i get cbc here and not tsn.. fuck this sucks

NBS
02-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Make the final.........

Suds
02-01-2011, 07:51 PM
I'll say it now before someone asks...

"No comment"...

Carts ;)

If you start doing colour commentary .....

I'm buying you shots before every game!! :drinking: :D

MG42
02-01-2011, 07:52 PM
great another HD channel I need to pay for

manic.street.preacher
02-01-2011, 08:01 PM
hopefully it's on TSN and not TSN2 ... cos then i pretty much will not be able to watch any football on tv this year unless i pay out the arse for it

lol when i saw the title of this thread, i had visions of Carts as an evil puppet master ... dance i say DANCE :reddevil:

Red CB Toronto
02-01-2011, 08:09 PM
It will be interesting to see how the country is divided up in terms of each Canadian team's local broadcast territory and how that will effect how the games are distributed to the country.

If you look at how hockey is broken up by provinces and in some parts of province in terms of television broadcasts, it makes you wonder.

boban
02-01-2011, 08:12 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/tsn-acquires-mls-broadcast-rights/article1890791/

As can be seen above, TSN has taken over the broadcasting rights for MLS. I like this move as this means that the League will get much more coverage on Canada's biggest sports broadcasting company.

With Montreal coming in next year it's not surprise that TSN see's this as a League that will have a growing fanbase in Canada.
Not really.
CBC reaches more homes than TSN, plus chances are MLS will be regulated to TSN2 which reaches even fewer homes.

Not really in favour of this. Maybe in a few years time, but def. not now.

Red CB Toronto
02-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Can we go post-game??? :D

Carts,

Can you explain what the local territories are for local NHL broadcasts for each team, and how some nights a game is local broadcast, some are regional and in the end others are national.

Regardless of the network do you see local broadcasts with blackouts when their are three MLS teams in Canada.

Since the inception of TFC every game has been available across the country minus the times Sportsnet showed it on only one or two of its cannels, will that change.

Shakes McQueen
02-01-2011, 08:13 PM
I think this is fantastic news. If MLS gets the same treatment as TSN gave the CFL, we are in for a lot of good things.

Sportsnet TFC broadcasts were always shit. CBC was better, primarily because of Nigel, but Mitch Peacock, and Brenda Irving, and that girl on the sidelines can fuck right off.

I expect proper HD at games. I expect "MLS on TSN" analysis, along with a consistent panel, much like their CFL coverage. I expect games to be given a higher profile on SportsCentre.

This is great news.

- Scott

boban
02-01-2011, 08:21 PM
I think this is fantastic news. If MLS gets the same treatment as TSN gave the CFL, we are in for a lot of good things.

Sportsnet TFC broadcasts were always shit. CBC was better, primarily because of Nigel, but Mitch Peacock, and Brenda Irving, and that girl on the sidelines can fuck right off.

I expect proper HD at games. I expect "MLS on TSN" analysis, along with a consistent panel, much like their CFL coverage. I expect games to be given a higher profile on SportsCentre.

This is great news.

- Scott
You expect a lot of shit.
If things turn up on TSN2 then who gives a fuck how many hours.

daner90
02-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Thank god, no more sportsnet!

Cashcleaner
02-01-2011, 08:22 PM
I've never been a huge fan of TSN and CBC Sports has always impressed me, so I'm kinda disappointed with this news. I'll give TSN the benefit of the doubt for this, though. They do CFL well, granted.

Beach_Red
02-01-2011, 08:29 PM

That's true, but it's a pretty big if. For every CFL game - all the way through the playoffs to the Grey Cup - there are always two Canadian markets involved.

But there is potential here, no doubt.

drexel10
02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
TSN has supported soccer for a long time, however games got trumped by curling, baseball etc...Didn't read all the details, but if they do more games than 15 (what CBC) gave us, than it is better than having 3 different broadcasters for the games.

prizby
02-01-2011, 08:40 PM
they need to improve on vic rauter please

Red CB Toronto
02-01-2011, 08:40 PM
You have to remember if seems like the TSN deal is a National MLS deal, which is new to this country as prior to this year their was only one team in Toronto.

Eastend
02-01-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm not sold. To me, TSN = Hockey 100% But hopefully I'm wrong and they bring in the right people.....both on air and off to run with this new endeavor.

Dom.

p.s. Just listen to the ads for "That's Hockey Tonight" to hear what I mean by TSN = hockey.

TorontoGooner
02-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Good riddance to Nigel Reed. As a fellow Brit, he embarrasses me every time he starts to talk. Too posh to talk football (it makes me cringe) and a complete lack of understanding of the game, plus he frequently gets players names wrong. No wonder the BBC dropped him all those years ago.

TSN moving in is a sign the league is moving forward. More professional coverage and more availability in terms of when they'll cover us

drexel10
02-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if the home games will be at 4pm on Saturday now, or at least more consistent??

Waggy
02-01-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm not sold. To me, TSN = Hockey 100% But hopefully I'm wrong and they bring in the right people.....both on air and off to run with this new endeavor.

Dom.

p.s. Just listen to the ads for "That's Hockey Tonight" to hear what I mean by TSN = hockey.

Clearly you have never heard of the CFL? I don't see how anyone couldn't be excited about this. TSN is the premier sports station in Canada, even 'relegated' to tsn2 (where it would join such 2nd tier sports as the NBA TNT Double header, and multiple Leafs and Raptors games) the first ever game would get more money and production value put into it than sportsnet put in to TFC broadcasts in total. TSN can cherry pick/draw talent to call the game, they'll promote it well and it'll make sportscentre a lot more. There's no way this isn't one of the best things to happen to soccer in Canada ever. Did they get postseason rights too? What happens to the CCC?

Auzzy
02-01-2011, 09:10 PM
This sucks for me. I was hoping CBC would eventually get more coverage of MLS, especially more TFC away games. I don't have cable TV & I'm not planning to get it. I hate Rogers, and there's too much junk and distraction on cable, for me and especially for our kids. Plus, when I was somewhere w/o a TV, CBC's online streaming of games was great. Obviously TSN won't be doing that. Now, if they were showing at least a few away games on CTV that would be great, but I doubt that will happen.

Crap, I guess I'll be spending lots of money on beer, in order to watch every away game in a bar. Well, there are worse things in life.... :drinking:

Gazza_55
02-01-2011, 09:23 PM
This sucks for me. I was hoping CBC would eventually get more coverage of MLS, especially more TFC away games. I don't have cable TV & I'm not planning to get it. I hate Rogers, and there's too much junk and distraction on cable, for me and especially for our kids. Plus, when I was somewhere w/o a TV, CBC's online streaming of games was great. Obviously TSN won't be doing that. Now, if they were showing at least a few away games on CTV that would be great, but I doubt that will happen.

Crap, I guess I'll be spending lots of money on beer, in order to watch every away game in a bar. Well, there are worse things in life.... :drinking:

Why won't TSN be doing it? I watched all the CFL playoff games at work last year online.

Waggy
02-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Why won't TSN be doing it? I watched all the CFL playoff games at work last year online.

Did the same with the Aussie open

drexel10
02-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Hope they can schedule the games at _:30 so people can catch the GO train! and not leave early now.

Nazzer
02-01-2011, 09:29 PM
This is great for the game in the country. TSN does a great job of marketing its content. Guaranteed even if the games are only on TSN2 we will see more/ better promotion of the games than CBC or Sportsnet did. Add to that the highlights of MLS games will all of a sudden start appearing on sportscentre. When sportsnet would show games, you wouldn't even see those highlights on their highlight shows later that day sometimes.

Auzzy
02-01-2011, 09:37 PM

Well, if that were to happen, I would take back everything I said & state the opposite. ;) I never tried to watch CFL games online, but I have occasionally tried to find other TSN or TSN2 sports broadcasts on their website but couldn't. Also, I figured if MLS is on TSN2, they would want to push people to subscribe to that & not offer it on the web.

So, fingers crossed... and thanks for the info!

REDJUVE
02-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Where does GolTV fit into all this? or do they?

Eastend
02-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Clearly you have never heard of the CFL? I don't see how anyone couldn't be excited about this. TSN is the premier sports station in Canada, even 'relegated' to tsn2 (where it would join such 2nd tier sports as the NBA TNT Double header, and multiple Leafs and Raptors games) the first ever game would get more money and production value put into it than sportsnet put in to TFC broadcasts in total. TSN can cherry pick/draw talent to call the game, they'll promote it well and it'll make sportscentre a lot more. There's no way this isn't one of the best things to happen to soccer in Canada ever. Did they get postseason rights too? What happens to the CCC?

Yes I have. I said "TO ME" TSN is hockey.

Roogsy
02-01-2011, 09:45 PM
TSN basically created the WJHC.
TSN saved and elevated the CFL.
I'm eager to see what they do with MLS coverage in Canada.
I'm guessing CFL will be TSN, and MLS will be content for TSN2 in the summer time.

TSN is by far the most influential sports channel in Canada. However they had the Champions League coverage and blew it in favour of other "more Canadian" sports. Therefore this could go either way. If they dedicate resources to this it can help a lot but if they treat it as a 2nd rate sport like they have done in the past then it may do more damage than good.

Brooker
02-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Fuck TSN. Can't stand them for Hockey or Soccer.

drexel10
02-01-2011, 09:50 PM
TSN is by far the most influential sports channel in Canada. However they had the Champions League coverage and blew it in favour of other "more Canadian" sports. Therefore this could go either way. If they dedicate resources to this it can help a lot but if they treat it as a 2nd rate sport like they have done in the past then it may do more damage than good.

Agreed! The only reason we have to be optimistic is because they lost the rights to the WC and CL and maybe they'll take it more seriously *shrug*

TFC/Everton
02-01-2011, 09:56 PM
I HATE TSN!!!! They think Hockey is the only sport in the world.

TFC USA
02-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Well. Fuck.

CBC must be fully committed to great programming like Republic of Doyle and endless Snowboarding/Figure Skating/Hockey coverage.

Now I have to rely on streams virtually every game that isn't on ESPN or FSC (which isn't many). FUCK!

I might need to move to Canada.

Ryan1984
02-01-2011, 10:00 PM
TSN is the Premier sports channel in Canada. Yes a lot of games may be on TSN2 but it is the wall to wall coverage of the sport will get that makes this deal good for TFC and the MLS in Canada.

TFC07
02-01-2011, 10:00 PM

Agreed. I am not a big fan of TSN, and I highly doubt they will do a good job on MLS on their station (I except a lot of games to be on TSN2 instead of TSN)

Nuvinho
02-01-2011, 10:03 PM
They will basically feed off the ESPN coverage of MLS. It will probably be the same feed that Gol TV gets during those Thursday night games.

For TFC games, don't know about the quality of the coverage.

TFC USA
02-01-2011, 10:06 PM
TSN should see if they can hire Ian Darke and have him move to Canada forever.

ManUtd4ever
02-01-2011, 10:11 PM
TSN doesn't do anything half assed. As mentioned, the CFL and World Junior Championships are prime examples of the panache that the network is capable of lending to TFC broadcasts. If TSN plans on utilizing the ESPN model for MLS coverage, Canadian soccer fans are in for a treat...

Red CB Toronto
02-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Was ESPN's Thursday Night games available in Canada last year?

Red CB Toronto
02-01-2011, 10:15 PM
I do not think we have to worry the MLS will be given the same treatment as the Toronto Rock on TSN.

ManUtd4ever
02-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Was ESPN's Thursday Night games available in Canada last year?

GolTV carried a few games last year and the broadcasts were first class, if you're willing to put up with the American commentators, LOL...

Auzzy
02-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I was just checking out the Rogers cable offers. Is it true that TSN and TSN2 can't be added as individual channels to one of the cheaper packages? And that TSN is only included in the $47 Digital Plus package, while TSN2 is only in the $60 VIP Package? Both prices are going up March 1st BTW. As hard as I try, I can't seem to add those channels individually (like you can with GOL TV for example). Crap that sucks.

Red CB Toronto
02-01-2011, 10:22 PM
TSN is on basic cable being channel 30

Shakes McQueen
02-01-2011, 10:31 PM
You expect a lot of shit.
If things turn up on TSN2 then who gives a fuck how many hours.

Pithy as always.

If TSN are going to bother to acquire the rights to MLS games, then they are now invested in trying to maximize their return on those rights. It's the same with the CFL - when TSN acquired the rights, all of a sudden they were presenting the CFL as though it was equal to the four big leagues.

It can't be any worse than the presentation of TFC games on Sportsnet, and has the potential to be much, much better. This is a big win, as far as I'm concerned.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
02-01-2011, 10:32 PM

Hello,

Let me be the first to welcome you to the country of Canada.

- Scott

TFC USA
02-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Holy fuck who the hell is this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHCFC-p76hA

TFCREDNWHITE
02-01-2011, 10:44 PM
TSN use to provide acceptable soccer coverage....there is no way they are gonna give MLS(TorontoFC) the coverage WE deserve!!

I think this is going to suck.....i hope im wrong though....

ag futbol
02-01-2011, 10:45 PM
This is great for the game in the country. TSN does a great job of marketing hockey and curling. Guaranteed even if the games are only on TSN2 we will see more/ better promotion of the games than CBC or Sportsnet did. Add to that the highlights of MLS games will all of a sudden start appearing on sportscentre (right after the WNBA and championship darts). When sportsnet would show games, you wouldn't even see those highlights on their highlight shows later that day sometimes.
FYP

Honestly I don't trust TSN to market anything. Sportsnet and CBC did not have the rights to the majority of the non-TFC games. Goltv did. They fit an ok number of games into their schedule.

I think these will be paid for but used infrequently IMO. I much preferred them on Gol.

swan
02-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Well. Fuck.

CBC must be fully committed to great programming like Republic of Doyle and endless Snowboarding/Figure Skating/Hockey coverage.

Now I have to rely on streams virtually every game that isn't on ESPN or FSC (which isn't many). FUCK!

I might need to move to Canada.

yup and thats why i don't like this at all.. i'm in the same boat as you

swan
02-01-2011, 10:50 PM
TSN is on basic cable being channel 30

no it's not basic cable ends at 22

Kooper
02-01-2011, 10:53 PM
TSN use to provide acceptable soccer coverage....there is no way they are gonna give MLS(TorontoFC) the coverage WE deserve!!

I think this is going to suck.....i hope im wrong though....

They couldn't even get Champions League right. I found TSN's coverage of the Champions' league really frustrating. Real Madrid Liverpool would be pre-empted by curlings, darts or poker. I really hope that with TSN2 we get all our games live, it would suck if a late season make or break game is postponned by hockey or curling. Especially with the Hockey ending in May on TSN and starting again in October and CFL running the same season as the MLS.

boban
02-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Guaranteed even if the games are only on TSN2 ...
How is this great when you are regulated to a station that less than half of TSN reg subscribers have.

Who gives a flying fuck about game promotion if you don't see it?!

boban
02-01-2011, 10:59 PM
TSN doesn't do anything half assed. As mentioned, the CFL and World Junior Championships are prime examples of the panache that the network is capable of lending to TFC broadcasts. If TSN plans on utilizing the ESPN model for MLS coverage, Canadian soccer fans are in for a treat...
Yeah but you are equating TSN CFL to TSN2 MLS.
CFL has been around a long time and they nurtured the property on a popular channel.
Not so with TSN2. Also add in that MLS still has to be nurtured and some investment put into it (broadcast wise) - this means TSN to widen the scope and not TSN2.

Roogsy
02-01-2011, 11:00 PM
If TSN are going to bother to acquire the rights to MLS games, then they are now invested in trying to maximize their return on those rights. It's the same with the CFL - when TSN acquired the rights, all of a sudden they were presenting the CFL as though it was equal to the four big leagues.

Just to repeat what I said before, if they dedicate resources to it then yeah, TSN has the capability to enhance the game in Canada. They almost determine on their own what Canadians watch.

However, TSN has shown in the past to be reluctant to invest in soccer even when they have the rights to the top level soccer in the world (Champions League). You are assuming that TSN is "investing" in MLS in order to do what they did with the WJHC and CFL. It may wind up being that they bought MLS rights to keep it away from Sportsnet or to provide filler for TSN2, neither of which actually benefits the game in this country. I'd rather it be kept on Sportsnet if that's the case.

We will see what they do.

TFCwestcan
02-01-2011, 11:02 PM
hmmm this move worries me, yes they may pump more funds into MLS coverage but it is kind of sad how TSN have ignored MLS soccer so far. Regarding Sportsnet I have to agree about Dobson's poor quality while calling games although I don't mind soccer central. The addition of Vancouver does give TSN national coverage, what I don't want is to miss TFC games and with Vancouver onboard I can see them alternating much like Hockey coverage.

Right now with Gol TV, CBC and Sportsnet Ontario I don't miss a game, I really hope this will not change in the future.
I am hoping that we can still see the away games in the US on Gol TV at the least.

It will be interesting to see who they have broadcast the games unlike the poster above I like Reed & Devos.

boban
02-01-2011, 11:03 PM
hmmm this move worries me on one hand, yes they may pump more funds into MLS coverage but it is kind of sad how they have almost ignored MLS soccer so far, I have to agree about Dobson calling games although I don't mind soccer central. I am wondering how it will change, the addition of Vancouver does give them the national coverage, what I don't want is missing TFC games to see Vancouver instead much like Hockey coverage. Right now with Gol TV, CBC and Sportsnet Ontario I don't miss a game, I really hope this will be the case in the future.

It will be interesting to see who they have broadcast the games unlike the poster above I like Nigel & Devos.
Regional (local) rights games are still to be determined and up for grabs presently.
TSN only has the national games.

Red CB Toronto
02-01-2011, 11:04 PM
So you only get channel 1-22 if you do not use a box and instead a converter?

boban
02-01-2011, 11:05 PM
So you only get channel 1-22 if you do not use a box and instead a converter?
Huh?

Auzzy
02-01-2011, 11:06 PM
no it's not basic cable ends at 22

That's what I thought as well, based on this: https://www.rogers.com/web/link/ptvBrowsePackagesFlowBegin?forwardTo=landing

$47 for TSN; $60.49 to include TSN2.

boban
02-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Just to repeat what I said before, if they dedicate resources to it then yeah, TSN has the capability to enhance the game in Canada. They almost determine on their own what Canadians watch.

However, TSN has shown in the past to be reluctant to invest in soccer even when they have the rights to the top level soccer in the world (Champions League). You are assuming that TSN is "investing" in MLS in order to do what they did with the WJHC and CFL. It may wind up being that they bought MLS rights to keep it away from Sportsnet or to provide filler for TSN2, neither of which actually benefits the game in this country. I'd rather it be kept on Sportsnet if that's the case.

We will see what they do.
You know, despite your obsessive infatuation with Dero you make sense sometimes.

Roogsy
02-01-2011, 11:12 PM
:lol:

I am also obsessed with boobies.

boban
02-01-2011, 11:13 PM
I am also obsessed with boobies.
The downfall of man Roogsy, the downfall of man.

Roogsy
02-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Yeah but at least we're distracted on the way down.

boban
02-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Yeah but at least we're distracted on the way down.
Until we hit the forest :lol:

jazzy
02-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Sucks, because on the CBC if you spent $20 on a HD ariel, or even just analogue antennas one could watch TFC for free ........no rogers or bell.....now that is by the wayside........and for those who want to watch it online, watchout for that proposed cable download increase.................you know it'll be on TSN2...just because most people still don't have it, another worm in the water.............at least on the fan 590, it is well done

Waggy
02-01-2011, 11:30 PM
I don't understand how people can even question this move.
TSN had champs league, before Canada as a country got big into soccer. As soon as the ratings came, they wanted back in. They also wanted to focus on the CFL, which they did, wildly successfully. They now have a vested interest in the MLS (given that the company that owns them also part owns the whitecaps), and what was up until now a regional interest (southern Ontario likes TFC) has now become a national interest (thanks to the Whitecaps being in full time and the frenchies coming). Why wouldn't a national partner want in on a national sport? Why WOULD a national partner want in on a regional sport? Soccer WAS considered a regional sport until the last Euro Cup or last World Cup depending how you look at it. Once they found out Canadians loved soccer they came back in

As for the TSN 2 crap, I dont have Gol TV, and the VAST majority of my friends don't either. I've missed literally every single TFC game that has ever been shown on Gol TV. Most of my friends have TSN2. All bars have tsn2. TSN2 has shown that it will stream most if not all games online. To the people who don't have even the basic (non digital) cable package and can't get TSN, how did you get Gol TV? Or see the games when they'd show them on like Sportsnet East or West or whatever instead of Ontario? Or when CBC would show them on that CBC outdoors channel thats like channel 126 or something?

And all that disregards the sway TSN has with the public, or its financial/marketing resources, or its ties to ESPN (and through that it's ties to MANY great soccer tv people).

TFC USA
02-01-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm pissed off because CBC lost their primary non-winter sport. The ratings were shit because they broadcast the game in the middle of the fucking afternoon instead of at night or on a better slot. Also TFC is a bad soccer team.

I refuse to buy Direct Kick considering I don't heavily follow other MLS teams enough to merit buying the package just for TFC.

Looks like bye-bye Nigel and hello to awesome streams starring guys like the Crew announcers.

ilikemusic
02-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Whatever people's opinions of TSN and the way they have handled soccer broadcasts in the past, them broadcasting MLS (and by extension, having a rooting interest in the promotion and growth of the league/game) is a huge boon for the league and the three Canadian clubs. As we all know (and whether we like it or not), TSN is incredible at developing, creating and sustaining their broadcasting properties.

I have no doubt there will be kinks to work out, and it may be rough going for a little while, but I also have no doubt that TSN is capable of doing a better job of broadcasting MLS than any other network in Canada (and probably even the US).

Really happy to hear about this news. TSN is going to hype the shit out of the all-Canadian match ups.

Serb_Star
02-02-2011, 12:03 AM
I'm pretty confident that they will dump all the games onto TSN2 so how is that better than being on CBC nationally?

God I hate TSN and their constant hockey garbage.

boban
02-02-2011, 12:07 AM
I'm pissed off because CBC lost their primary non-winter sport. The ratings were shit because they broadcast the game in the middle of the fucking afternoon instead of at night or on a better slot. Also TFC is a bad soccer team.
Every European league runs primarily on the afternoon time slot.
CFL games are broadcast also in the afternoon here.
NFL is heavy dosed with afternoon games.

The team is shit - plus the game has to grow (viewership wise)

Red CB Toronto
02-02-2011, 12:15 AM
GOL TV could have an issue since it is a national service, if the country is broken up due to regional coverage requirements beyond the games that was shown on a national stage.

Right now Sportsnet holds the local television rights for five of the six Canadian NHL teams, with TSN holding them for Montreal. I wonder if they will see the need to control the distribution of say Vancouver games into Toronto and vice versa with Montreal also in the mix too.

moralis
02-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Josh from Canadian Sports Media Blog wrote a story about the MLS on TSN deal:

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/2011/02/01/euro-2012-tour-de-france-not-enough-how-about-mls/

Interesting comments at the bottom

gracos
02-02-2011, 12:40 AM
:cryin::cryin:Your kidding right, guys, right :cryin: :cryin: :cryin:

ensco
02-02-2011, 12:48 AM
This is huge.

I have always wondered when this day would come - ESPN has a big commitment to MLS/EPL in the US/UK, and they are a significant minority shareholder in TSN.

This is not meant to be a slag on CBC/Rogers, who did a nice job, but TSN has the ability to blow the previous rightsholders out of the water in terms of coverage, if they want to. These guys have resources, and a ratings base, that others can only dream about.

This is a significant coup for MLSE/Anselmi if true.

ForestGlade
02-02-2011, 12:51 AM
It's an interesting move considering TSN gave up the few Blue Jays games it had the rights to to Sportsnet last summer in exchange for the Sunday Night Baseball rights.

There's a fair decent amount of competition for TSN's time in the summer. Not just the obvious CFL (which of course will be #1 on the list of importance), but their rights to NASCAR, tennis (French Open, Wimbledon, US Open), golf (all the majors and half the tournaments) and of course the odd summers when a major event is happening (Euro 2012)

The 2012 MLS season should take a huge two week blow for TFC when CTV and gang roll out the red carpet for the Olympics. Every channel goes wall to wall for that bore-a-thon.

However there's no way GolTV will lose any rights with MLSE owning the station. I suspect the V-Cup games get moved there from Sportsnet along with any Champions League games they get.

Why can't CBC and TSN just share?

Serb_Star
02-02-2011, 01:11 AM
TSN barely acknowledges the Raptors existence so I'm not going to get my hopes up about them properly promoting TFC.

Damien
02-02-2011, 01:18 AM
My first thought was "aw shit"...

...but now when I realize the relation to ESPN I'm not too disappointed. Sportsnet always did a crappy job. My primary complaint was the close-ups on players while the game was still in play. Fuckin hated that.

Redcoe15
02-02-2011, 03:26 AM
Man, I don't know what to think. It could be a boon for MLS in Canada with both TFC and the Shitecraps playing this upcoming season, and the L'impact coming in next year for French network RDS. But if they just see it as cheap filler, then maybe not.

They should have Nigel and Jason doing the play by play for TSN. I just can't see Vic Rauter doing that, if there is a God.

Broadview
02-02-2011, 04:56 AM
Be nice if they carried some playoff games even if TFC aren't involved.`

May have to trim some fat off the Rogers bill to get TSN in HD. I'm looking at you home phone.

DichioTFC
02-02-2011, 07:51 AM
For MLS coverage / broadcasting ability, ESPN > CBC > Sportsnet

If we can get ESPN-type coverage and analysis on TSN, we're really onto something special. ESPN isn't Setanta, but they do invest resources. I'm really hoping TSN can follow the ESPN model.

Fort York Redcoat
02-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Totally mixed on this. TSN has done great things as mentioned but have always been Pepsi to my Coke. They've poached the Grey Cup and the HNIC theme but saved the CFL and more than doubled it's coverage.

I just can't see them giving our game more of a priority than Sportsnet. Sportsnet is more regionally covered and have the National teams rights. Without TFC games their coverage of the game may take a hit, re-prioritizing foreign footie vs the game at home = Fail.

Stouffville_RPB
02-02-2011, 08:32 AM
If TSN put it on TSN2 then it really is a fail. I won't pay extra to get TSN2 just for MLS and I can't see how others would.

The only good thing that comes out of this is the potential money and reach of TSN. If TSN wants to push MLS, which would make sense, then we could see the game flourish.

swan
02-02-2011, 08:35 AM
That's what I thought as well, based on this: https://www.rogers.com/web/link/ptvBrowsePackagesFlowBegin?forwardTo=landing

$47 for TSN; $60.49 to include TSN2.

i'm going from what i remember before i moved out of the folks house so things could have changed..

i did have bell basic and i only got up to 21 ( in reg cable channels) since 22 is owned by rogers..

but i live in the states now so i'm pooched since no tsn here and i don't think espn will be showing a lot of TFC games..

this is such :icon_bs:

mastermixer
02-02-2011, 09:26 AM
MLS will be on TSN2 most likely. They don't even put a sunday morning EPL game on TSN... TSN2 shows it. Unfortunately, unless they change their priorities TFC will be on the bottom shelf of the TSN schedule.

TFCDP
02-02-2011, 09:43 AM
As long as this means the end of Gerry Dobson calling games I'm all for it.. The potential is there for tsn to do a much better job.. Hopefully this is a turning point for tsn to not be completely hockey orientated.

Hitcho
02-02-2011, 10:22 AM
You are assuming that TSN is "investing" in MLS in order to do what they did with the WJHC and CFL. It may wind up being that they bought MLS rights to keep it away from Sportsnet or to provide filler for TSN2, neither of which actually benefits the game in this country.

That's the tipping point for me - anyone know what they paid for the rights? If it was a lot, then we can ssume that they invested for the roght reasons and will want a return on that investment. If it was chicken feed to them, then Roogsy's concern above may be worryingly valid - kill the competition before it eats into their primary markets of other sports coverage.

May have to trim some fat off the Rogers bill to get TSN in HD. I'm looking at you home phone.

:smilielol5:

boban
02-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Totally mixed on this. TSN has done great things as mentioned but have always been Pepsi to my Coke. They've poached the Grey Cup and the HNIC theme but saved the CFL and more than doubled it's coverage.
Actually that was a CBC fuck up that let them lose the rights to the song.

Cowboy905
02-02-2011, 10:35 AM
ok here's my take on this (and i work in Television)

this is a downgrade. TSN is a cable network while CBC is OTA..but that's not the issue here. here's the issue.

MLS ratings suck. they suck big time. i 100% guarantee this will be on TSN2 exclusively.

Also, TSN does not give a shit about MLS soccer. This is all about content rights. you know why? because Shaw Media just put in an application to the CRTC for a 2nd tier sports network titled Shaw Media Sports with full intentions to partner up with the CBC and bid on the olympics against the Rogers/CTV consortium. Shaw should get the approval in April and then can start trying to acquire rights to broadcast sports. But it's tough to broadcast sports if everything is completely locked up....then you need to pay a premium to your competition to get some of those games.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/shaw-targets-canadian-sports-cable-94601?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20thr/news%20(The%20Hollywood%20Reporter%20-%20Top%20Stories)

Auzzy
02-02-2011, 10:35 AM
i'm going from what i remember before i moved out of the folks house so things could have changed..

i did have bell basic and i only got up to 21 ( in reg cable channels) since 22 is owned by rogers..

but i live in the states now so i'm pooched since no tsn here and i don't think espn will be showing a lot of TFC games..

this is such :icon_bs:

If you're in the US now, I guess at least you can watch almost all the TFC games on MLS Match Center? The price isn't bad for a good stream IMO, I think it's about $30 or $40 for the whole season. I suppose MLS Match Center would show TFC in the US, as long as it's not a US-nationally televised game on ESPN (which is only once or twice a year). I'm hoping that a game televised nationally on TSN or TSN2 in Canada, would not affect MLS streaming in the US -- although dumber things have happened...

I wish I could still get the Match Center stream, but TFC is totally blocked for everyone in Toronto and most of Ontario at least.

TFC USA
02-02-2011, 11:00 AM
TSN barely acknowledges the Raptors existence so I'm not going to get my hopes up about them properly promoting TFC.

The NBA barely acknowledges the Raptors existence so I think it is no shock. :D

Roogsy
02-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Well...I think this answers it for us. During Sportscentre last night they announced acquiring the rights for the Tour de France, Euro 2012 and 2016 and the U21 Championship and the Women's Euro 2013. Not a peep about the MLS. Not a peep! They announce the U21 and Women's tournament but don't mention MLS?

I wouldn't get our hopes up if I were you. Sorry Carts. :p

Fort York Redcoat
02-02-2011, 11:08 AM

I'd say it was a CBC fuckup on both counts.

Juanito
02-02-2011, 11:14 AM
The "upper brass" of TSN don't give a shit about soccer. That makes me a bit worried.

However, they are for making money, so maybe they will give it a chance.

Juanito
02-02-2011, 11:16 AM
For MLS coverage / broadcasting ability, ESPN > CBC > Sportsnet

If we can get ESPN-type coverage and analysis on TSN, we're really onto something special. ESPN isn't Setanta, but they do invest resources. I'm really hoping TSN can follow the ESPN model.

I would assume they would just use the same feed.

Wagner
02-02-2011, 11:29 AM
No way TSN would buy MLS rights to run it into the ground.

I'm certain TSN has seen the stats/ratings on Soccer...
they see it trending way up.
so they are getting in on the ground floor with MLS.

Like i said earlier, TSN adds a certain gloss to their coverage...look what they did to the CFL...those ratings are through the roof since they took it over.

Cowboy905
02-02-2011, 11:35 AM
^^ CFL ratings happen to have gone up at the same time when the measurement system switched from Nielsen to PPM....where all sports went up as out of home viewing is now accounted for. i'm not saying there aren't more viewers, maybe there are....but theres other factors for that....and that's the change of methodology.

Gazza_55
02-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Well...I think this answers it for us. During Sportscentre last night they announced acquiring the rights for the Tour de France, Euro 2012 and 2016 and the U21 Championship and the Women's Euro 2013. Not a peep about the MLS. Not a peep! They announce the U21 and Women's tournament but don't mention MLS?

I wouldn't get our hopes up if I were you. Sorry Carts. :p

The MLS deal isn't done yet.

Fort York Redcoat
02-02-2011, 11:43 AM
I still say that it's CFL vs MLS. The 2 sports are in direct competition with each other and the rise of one will be the fall of the other.

Parkdale
02-02-2011, 11:50 AM
sounds like there's a whole bunch of speculation in here.

MLS Rumours is probably behind it ;)

menefreghista
02-02-2011, 11:52 AM
I still say that it's CFL vs MLS. The 2 sports are in direct competition with each other and the rise of one will be the fall of the other.

My guess is the bigger matches will be on TSN (TFC v VAN or either team v. NYRB, LA etc.).

The rest of the games will be relegated to TSN2

boban
02-02-2011, 12:02 PM
I would assume they would just use the same feed.
This is an even bigger fear.
But with Canadian content rules being what they are this may not be the case.

boban
02-02-2011, 12:07 PM
No way TSN would buy MLS rights to run it into the ground.

I'm certain TSN has seen the stats/ratings on Soccer...
they see it trending way up.
so they are getting in on the ground floor with MLS.

Like i said earlier, TSN adds a certain gloss to their coverage...look what they did to the CFL...those ratings are through the roof since they took it over.
Yes, but they had a critical mass to start with my friend. MLS ratings don't have that luxury.
Also, while TSN was building their CFL package, games were still available on CBC, as was the Grey Cup. Viewers still had options until TSN was able to elevate the package.. Nationally here this doesn't happen. And MLS wallows in negligible TV ratings currently. So I don't see how you attract viewers when its on a channel far less people have access to.

Waggy
02-02-2011, 12:08 PM

CBC offered to pay 850k, max offer, for the lifetime rights to the song. TSN offered 2.5 million. I don't think that's a CBC fuck up, that's just CBC being cheap and TSN being rich

boban
02-02-2011, 12:09 PM
CBC offered to pay 850k, max offer, for the lifetime rights to the song. TSN offered 2.5 million. I don't think that's a CBC fuck up, that's just CBC being cheap and TSN being rich
from my understanding, they let the current agreement lapse, which then triggered what you said above. Someone at CBC dropped the ball on it.

bones
02-02-2011, 12:11 PM
As with any deal there are always some unhappy people. In this case all those that watched the games on CBC via air waves, and those in the USA who got CBC relays will lose out.

There can be a silver lining here though. TSN's affiliation with ESPN means that there will be an opportunity to follow the MLS and not just TFC/VAN(/MTL). There will be an opportunity for TSN to take this to a much wider audience. There is an opportunity to increase the quality of the games on TV that being HD instead of SD.

It's really no surprise to me that now that there will be 2 teams (3 with MTL eventually) located in cities where TSN has large presence but a large gap for employees when hockey stops, they can move resources to cover another sport they can grow broadcast wise for what had to be a cheap price!

As much as I dislike TSN (for taking their current content and splitting it across 2 channels purchased separately, so if I want to watch all games I need to pay more for exactly what I had before!) and some if it's personalities (can't put names and descriptions of why they're F'ing 'tards or I'll be banned) it MAY be a good thing for Soccer here.

Let's just hope for our USA friends that follow TFC, that ESPN(pick a #) will rebroadcast TSN's coverage in a give and take relationship like TSN(pick a smaller #) will probably do for games without a Canadian team.

Bones...

Juanito
02-02-2011, 12:29 PM
^^

One thing I loved about CBC is that they stream their content. TSN doesn't believe in that. I guess since CBC is a "public" company, they find ways to get it to the "people". TSN won't do that .... they want us all to pay for their service. You can get CBC-HD over air.

We'll see .... I just have a feeling that it's going to get pushed to TSN2 and we'll have to shell out more canolis.

rocker
02-02-2011, 12:29 PM
I'll wait until I see the schedule. If they cherry pick the big games and put them on TSN, that's OK.

Isn't it better to have a sports team on a dedicated sports network, rather than on a generalist channel like CBC? I mean, yes, CBC reaches more homes, but when people look for sports they turn to TSN or Sportsnet. So you get a more sports-centric audience on those channels. Sometimes I think TFC gets lost on those Saturday afternoons on CBC.

Also, I wonder if maybe we'll get some better home start times if TSN has different demands for scheduling. I'm tired of 4pm starts on CBC.

If it gets relegated to TSN2, that would suck bad.

boban
02-02-2011, 12:33 PM
I'll wait until I see the schedule. If they cherry pick the big games and put them on TSN, that's OK.

Isn't it better to have a sports team on a dedicated sports network, rather than on a generalist channel like CBC? I mean, yes, CBC reaches more homes, but when people look for sports they turn to TSN or Sportsnet. So you get a more sports-centric audience on those channels. Sometimes I think TFC gets lost on those Saturday afternoons on CBC.

Also, I wonder if maybe we'll get some better home start times if TSN has different demands for scheduling. I'm tired of 4pm starts on CBC.

If it gets relegated to TSN2, that would suck bad.
I personally love the Sat. 4pm starts. Could move to Sunday afternoons too. Either way I much prefer day games than to evenings. Mind you, 1 or 2 nights game is not bad to. Makes its seems more of an event because of the rarity of it.

Juanito
02-02-2011, 12:34 PM
^^

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that it gets relegated to TSN2. They need content for that channel anyways, they wouldn't dare piss off their hockey, football, and curling fans. We are the "new kids on the block" and we'll have to prove that we're worth the effort.

I guess, being on Sportscentre will help the national coverage, but man, I really am no fan of this network. I don't watch NHL much (except for the occasional CBC game), or CFL, and I can't wrap my head around why people give a shit about curling and the World Juniors!!

Serb_Star
02-02-2011, 12:38 PM
It's going to be hilarious when we miss the start of the TFC game because curling still hasn't finished :smilielol5:

TSN is a dedicated hockey network, they could care less about other sports.

Wagner
02-02-2011, 12:38 PM
^^

One thing I loved about CBC is that they stream their content. TSN doesn't believe in that. I guess since CBC is a "public" company, they find ways to get it to the "people". TSN won't do that .... they want us all to pay for their service. You can get CBC-HD over air.

We'll see .... I just have a feeling that it's going to get pushed to TSN2 and we'll have to shell out more canolis.

not true.
all CFL games are streamed live on TSN.ca

Whoop
02-02-2011, 12:45 PM
My guess is the bigger matches will be on TSN (TFC v VAN or either team v. NYRB, LA etc.).

The rest of the games will be relegated to TSN2

This is what I think will happen.

Cas87
02-02-2011, 12:53 PM
With the acquisition of MLS, Euro 2012 and 2016, and Champions League back on the network this means that TSN will start to improve soccer coverage.

Yes I think some will be on TSN2 but big games (Season Openner, Finale, LA, NYRB, VAN, and MTL) will be on the main network plus All Star and MLS Cup.
Plus, we'll actually start to see more MLS since TSN picked it up in time for 3 canadian teams

Red CB Toronto
02-02-2011, 12:54 PM
The CFL is a big property for TSN, the partnership between the the two had been nothing but good, especially since TSN has become the one rights deal for the league.

LittleOzzy
02-02-2011, 01:13 PM
I don't think people understand what TSN/TSN2 is buying.

They are buying the MLS rights for 1 national game a week. The remainder of local TFC or Vancouver games will be on a regional network.

If for example TSN is broadcasting a Vancouver vs. L.A. game one week that means you'll likely still find TFC vs. whoever game on Sportsnet Ontario or GolTV.

TSN is simply buying the big games and the playoffs.

Redcoe15
02-02-2011, 01:20 PM
It's going to be hilarious when we miss the start of the TFC game because curling still hasn't finished :smilielol5:
Actually, more like this: :mad: :mad5::hulk::incazzato:

TSN is a dedicated hockey network, they could care less about other sports.
Sportsnet is also a dedicated hockey network. I've always felt there was slightly more emphasis on the game than on TSN. Of course, I've felt SN was both a hockey and mixed martial arts network for some time now, but that's just my opinion.

The more I think about it, and with what Cowboy905 just explained to us, this is looking more and more like a not very good thing for MLS. Especially if they dump the games on TSN2.

boban
02-02-2011, 01:21 PM
I don't think people understand what TSN/TSN2 is buying.

They are buying the MLS rights for 1 national game a week. The remainder of local TFC or Vancouver games will be on a regional network.

If for example TSN is broadcasting a Vancouver vs. L.A. game one week that means you'll likely still find TFC vs. whoever game on Sportsnet Ontario or GolTV.

TSN is simply buying the big games and the playoffs.
Plus they are buying the mid-week game. Which in all honesty will be a feed of the ESPN production.
Needless to say, with the expansion of the season to 34 games you are still talking about 12-15 TFC games on TSN (TSN2 more likely).

moralis
02-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Article in today's Globe and Mail about TSN buying MLS TV rights:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/bruce-dowbiggin/tsn-lands-mls-broadcast-rights/article1891351/

Found this interesting: How will TSN buy local rights if their a national network:

"Local rights to expansion Vancouver (2011) and Montreal (2012) are separately negotiated. But the same sources say TSN has the inside track there, too."

TFC/ARSENAL
02-02-2011, 01:38 PM
What about TFC's radio rights. With the FAN being owned by Rogers, does that mean that they won't broadcast TFC games because they lost the TV rights?

Batman
02-02-2011, 01:41 PM
What about TFC's radio rights. With the FAN being owned by Rogers, does that mean that they won't broadcast TFC games because they lost the TV rights?

Possibly. However TSN is starting a radio network shortly. 1050 CHUM will be the Toronto affiliate.

Red CB Toronto
02-02-2011, 01:42 PM
I think TSN Radio would be the ideal home for the Reds and Argonauts, great opportunities for cross promotion.

boban
02-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Possibly. However TSN is starting a radio network shortly. 1050 CHUM will be the Toronto affiliate.
They did that back about 9-10 yrs ago. Utterly failed.
FAN590 is a great sports radio station. Tough nut to crack, TSN or not.

boban
02-02-2011, 01:48 PM
I think TSN Radio would be the ideal home for the Reds and Argonauts, great opportunities for cross promotion.
You mean like playing at the same stadium???

Oldtimer
02-02-2011, 02:18 PM

Better use for that old station than simply relaying CP/24. :prrr:

drexel10
02-02-2011, 02:26 PM
The part of this that sucks for me, is that I have personally boycotted TSN for the last 5 years for their lack of respect of soccer.

Razcle
02-02-2011, 02:38 PM
The part of this that sucks for me, is that I have personally boycotted TSN for the last 5 years for their lack of respect of soccer.

^ but does this not change since they outbid CBC and Rogers, and put some focus into soccer?

ManUtd4ever
02-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Granted, TSN has provided minimal coverage of TFC and MLS the last few years. However, I wouldn't suggest they had a lack of respect for soccer. I have relied exclusively on TSN simulcasts for live coverage of major competitions such as UEFA Champions League, World Cup, and Euro. I have no doubt that this deal will result in increased exposure for TFC with the club having a much higher profile on TSN/TSN2, SporstCentre, and TSN's website...

drexel10
02-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Granted, TSN has provided minimal coverage of TFC and MLS the last few years. However, I wouldn't suggest they had a lack of respect for soccer. I have relied exclusively on TSN simulcasts for live covergage of major competitions such as UEFA Champions League, World Cup, and Euro. I have no doubt that this deal will result in increased exposure for TFC with the club having a much higher profile on TSN/TSN2, SporstCentre, and TSN's website...

Yes and they have had delayed starts of CL because of curling and years back missed 60 minutes of WC qualifiers for a Jay game running late. Now that they have control of it and a vested interest in CFL, this might not be done for the right reason. I hope I am wrong. Oh and they would show WC highlights with the clowns making the typical, look at the dive, oh 1-0 soreline type comments.

BFin
02-02-2011, 04:47 PM

I'm in marketing, and I can safely say I have no idea what this means.

swan
02-02-2011, 06:04 PM
If you're in the US now, I guess at least you can watch almost all the TFC games on MLS Match Center? The price isn't bad for a good stream IMO, I think it's about $30 or $40 for the whole season. I suppose MLS Match Center would show TFC in the US, as long as it's not a US-nationally televised game on ESPN (which is only once or twice a year). I'm hoping that a game televised nationally on TSN or TSN2 in Canada, would not affect MLS streaming in the US -- although dumber things have happened...

I wish I could still get the Match Center stream, but TFC is totally blocked for everyone in Toronto and most of Ontario at least.

it is really blocked for yous there Wtf that crazy..

i did get it last year for the away games since they are on different channels and i did come across a few games that were blocked so that stank but i most likely get it again now..

torfchamilton
02-02-2011, 07:13 PM
I really don't see the problem with this. I am sure it will be similar to what ESPN does in the US with their game of the week. I am sure Sportsnet, Gol TV and CBC will still broadcast games. Ok maybe not CBC.

Did TSN not start their MLS coverage already with the broadcast the the All-star game? DO not remember what the numbers were from the game.

Also I hate talking money b/c in life some people have more and others have less and others have none, but people not wanting to pay for Gol TV are missing out. Not sure what it costs with the different companies, but I have Shaw Direct and for Gol TV and Fox SPorts it is an extra $2.49 per month. I have Setanta as well and it is steep at $14.99 but Gol TV is worth it.

TFCREDNWHITE
02-03-2011, 10:37 AM
yeah GolTV is well worth the money!! LaLiga and Bundesliga games!! for $3 bucks a month! cant go wrong

Don Julio
02-03-2011, 11:37 AM
The reason this concerns me is the method TSN has used to make the WJHC and CFL so popular.. Hype, flashy irrelevant graphics, and lots of monster truck style yelling. This is what I hate about North Amercan sports broadcasts, and now it will be infiltrating my MLS.

Definitely a positive move for the league, though.

Can't wait for Perre mcGuire's MONSTER of the Game. :-(

McBrace
02-03-2011, 11:41 AM
yeah GolTV is well worth the money!! LaLiga and Bundesliga games!! for $3 bucks a month! cant go wrong

Only problem is quality of broadcast blows....Bring in the HD and we're set.

Fort York Redcoat
02-03-2011, 11:58 AM
The reason this concerns me is the method TSN has used to make the WJHC and CFL so popular.. Hype, flashy irrelevant graphics, and lots of monster truck style yelling. This is what I hate about North Amercan sports broadcasts, and now it will be infiltrating my MLS.

Definitely a positive move for the league, though.

Can't wait for Perre mcGuire's MONSTER of the Game. :-(

That's redundant.

Release....The Gargan!!!

Blowing Bubbles
02-03-2011, 10:54 PM
I don't like TSN at all. This chance is their golden opportunity to prove me and all those like me who think they'll still give preferential coverage to off season leafs rumours wrong.

wtf?

They're 100% hockey 24/7 during the season but once the season ends they go full throttle into the CFL, tennis, golf, etc. They don't do rumour shows and endless Leaf speculation in the summer .... that's more of a Sportsnet regional thing.

My main gripe with TSN is they don't show any additional supporting programming for sports other than hockey. They don't show any EPL shows, NBA shows, hell NFL, etc. It's only live events for sports other than hockey. But their HD signal is great.

Blowing Bubbles
02-03-2011, 11:05 PM
That's the tipping point for me - anyone know what they paid for the rights? If it was a lot, then we can ssume that they invested for the roght reasons and will want a return on that investment. If it was chicken feed to them, then Roogsy's concern above may be worryingly valid - kill the competition before it eats into their primary markets of other sports coverage.

:smilielol5:

If it was "chicken feed" then why didn't Rogers just outbid them? Rogers isn't broke.

Waggy
02-03-2011, 11:21 PM
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1120-The-Score-TSN-and-football-supporters