PDA

View Full Version : All-Star Game 2011 in New York

scut farkus
02-01-2011, 10:09 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/red-bull-arena-host-2011-all-star-game

No opponent announced yet, but there's another announcement scheduled for later today.

mastermixer
02-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Not bad. Might be a good excuse to take a road trip to NYC.

Joe Kool
02-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Great reason to hit up NYC. I hate going all the way to NY to see our boys lose it when they are there. This way you can see an enjoyable game without leaving the stadium with that losing feeling...win/win.

boban
02-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Great reason to hit up NYC. I hate going all the way to NY to see our boys lose it when they are there. This way you can see an enjoyable game without leaving the stadium with that losing feeling...win/win.
Have you no faith in our Winter?

Fort York Redcoat
02-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Ugh. The Allstar game is going to get harder to sell every year they don't have a top 10 team to play.

Carts
02-01-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm not saying this would ever happen, just thinking out loud...

Anyone think the All-Star game would work against a national team...?

I know if it was anyone of note, the MLS would get destroyed, but if they can't land a top world class club - a summer friendly for a national team...?

Might be better than a mid-table team without much of a world wide following...

Carts...

prizby
02-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Ugh. The Allstar game is going to get harder to sell every year they don't have a top 10 team to play.

i don't think they are going to have any trouble this year...its an off tournament year...a lot more teams will be travelling abroad

I know if it was anyone of note, the MLS would get destroyed, but if they can't land a top world class club - a summer friendly for a national team...?

Carts...

not during a a fifa calender date..unfortunately

Joe Kool
02-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Have you no faith in our Winter?

I have hopes. Don't know enough about him to have faith yet. I just find it is the worst feeling traveling all that way for a loss. At least partying it up in Manhattan afterward helps with that.

JonO
02-01-2011, 11:38 AM

Carts...
Only problem I can think about it timing. Unless it is scheduled on an international date aren't most players back with their clubs by that point?

Carts
02-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Only problem I can think about it timing. Unless it is scheduled on an international date aren't most players back with their clubs by that point?

I should have stated that - the MLS would make the schedule, to have it land on an International Date...

Maybe try and get it pimped in the international sites as "insert country here" vs MLS All-Stars...

Carts...

prizby
02-01-2011, 11:59 AM
I should have stated that - the MLS would make the schedule, to have it land on an International Date...

Maybe try and get it pimped in the international sites as "insert country here" vs MLS All-Stars...

Carts...

all-stars also get called up to their national teams ;)

mastermixer
02-01-2011, 12:04 PM
all-stars also get called up to their national teams ;)

It would be hilarious if the opponent is England and Beckham plays against the MLS.

prizby
02-01-2011, 12:07 PM

Carts...

also do national teams want to waste an international date on playing a group of all-stars...what is the benefit to their national team (assuming we are talking a top 10 ranked team)

habstfc
02-01-2011, 04:46 PM
It might be the only time red bull arena is actually sold out.

boban
02-01-2011, 05:59 PM
It might be the only time red bull arena is actually sold out.
Save for the couple of times last year .

:facepalm: