PDA

View Full Version : Looking back at the 2007 U-20 World Cup

themodelcitizen
01-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Just had a blog post published looking back at a "tournament best XI" I made at the time, shortly after Argentina beat the Czechs in the final in our very own BMO Field. Funny to see how some of the stars from that tourney are progressing as we thought they would (Pique, Aguero etc) while others (remember Bruno Gama?) have faded into relative obscurity. I had forgot that Coentrao even played in this tourney until someone reminded me recently - at the time it was all about their fullback "Antunes" that has gone nowhere.

Anyone else I missed?

http://bornoffside.net/2011/01/the-kids-are-alright-stars-of-the-2007-u-20-world-cup-3-years-on/

Pachuco
01-30-2011, 11:29 AM
I didn't see any Chilean players on the list. Which is a bit surprising to me. I personally thought they were probably one of the most skilled teams in the tournament. Alexi Sanchez would've been a great pick I think and in my opinion this kid is as good as Aguero. Now, I would've put Vidangossy on the list of top midfielders in the tournament but I don't understand what has happened to this kid? I thought he was the most skilled player in the entire tournament at the time and I would've thought by now he'd be playing for Real Madrid or another big club.

It's definately interesting to take a look back at those players to see where they are now.

Alixir
01-30-2011, 11:36 AM
My boy Shinji Kagawa is now playing for Dortmund and helped Japan lift the AFC Asian Cup yesterday...mind you he only played 1 game in the u-20 world cup.

rocker
01-30-2011, 12:08 PM
man, I remember how good Freddy Adu looked in that tournament, particularly in the game in Montreal's Big O.

ag futbol
01-30-2011, 12:19 PM
. Now, I would've put Vidangossy on the list of top midfielders in the tournament but I don't understand what has happened to this kid? I thought he was the most skilled player in the entire tournament at the time and I would've thought by now he'd be playing for Real Madrid or another big club.

It's definately interesting to take a look back at those players to see where they are now.
If you believe wiki, he's in chile, not getting any pt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathias_Vidangossy

drexel10
01-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Enver Banega was amazing during the tournament and is a very good pro right night with Valencia I believe.

Michael Bradley was great in that tournament and continues to improve.

Vidal from Chile was great, not certain where he is with club.

Jozy and JO from Brazil are two players that more was probably expected from at this point.

Damien
01-30-2011, 02:36 PM
I didn't see any Chilean players on the list. Which is a bit surprising to me. I personally thought they were probably one of the most skilled teams in the tournament.

I agree 100%. Maybe if they hadn't of gotten that red card (which led to the tazering fiasco), they might have beaten Argentina.

Also, Aguero needs to move to a bigger club to get more recognition.

BeerBaron95
01-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Enver Banega was amazing during the tournament and is a very good pro right night with Valencia I believe.

Jozy and JO from Brazil are two players that more was probably expected from at this point.

He's @ Bayern Leverkusen

Pachuco
01-30-2011, 04:00 PM

How did I forget about Vidal when mentioning the Chile team. Another kid who's now a regular on the national team and playing top flight footie in Europe.

Banega I believe is going to start cracking the Argentine line up regularly. I believe he'll be a featured midfielder for a long time to come on that team.

drexel10
01-30-2011, 05:10 PM
How did I forget about Vidal when mentioning the Chile team. Another kid who's now a regular on the national team and playing top flight footie in Europe.

Banega I believe is going to start cracking the Argentine line up regularly. I believe he'll be a featured midfielder for a long time to come on that team.

He was my favourite player of the U-20's and I was a bit disappointed that he wasn't on the World Cup squad last year.

Globetrotter
01-30-2011, 05:42 PM
The tall blond defender on Austria moved up to the real national team.

There was a decent player on the Czech team too that moved up to their men's national team.

Not sure how their club careers are going though.

Joe Kool
01-30-2011, 06:15 PM
The other guys that made an impression on me from that tourney were Giovanni Do Santos and Carlos Vela from the Mexican team and they are now in the EPL.

Yohan
01-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Lee Chung Yong, now playing in Bolton had a good tourney. Carved up many defences, including Brazil with his passes

Kevvv
01-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Highlight of the Mexico/Portugal fixture:

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2667

TorCanSoc
01-30-2011, 11:12 PM
^Hot summer afternoon of footie with that in the background. Nice.

2007 was a summer of soccer we won't soon have again. First year TFC, U20 WC, Gold Cup, and I think the women's WC if I remember correctly... or was it the Women's U20 where they won the Concacaf.. in any case they had 37,000 for a women's U20 game in Edmonton. Great year.

billyfly
01-30-2011, 11:16 PM
And maybe future Man United keeper Rui Patricio.

http://www.solanabeachdesign.com/iotp/FEO2_Sporting/assets/youth_players/RuiPatricio.jpg

Whoop
01-31-2011, 01:58 AM
Aguero was the star of the show but you guys are forgetting one of the guys making the biggest splashes lately.

Angel di Maria, Argentina (Real Madrid)

http://www.nationalturk.com/en/berdiv/public_html/en/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/di-maria-argentina.jpg

And there was this guy.

Gerard Pique, Spain (Barcelona)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l21TYbth1Sc/TQ2fLERKiaI/AAAAAAAABfc/JPMQpck6o4E/s1600/profile%2Bgerard%2Bpique.jpg

Luis Suarez, Uruguay (Ajax, now Liverpool)

http://cdn.wn.com/pd/79/62/ed3fbf0cd2c7c7c08eb24e8e069c_grande.jpg

Edinson Cavani, Uruguay (Palermo)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l21TYbth1Sc/TRgWX7OI2FI/AAAAAAAABi4/mDKWPlWqSOM/s1600/profile%2Bedison%2Bcavani.jpg

And this guy...

Javier Hernandez, Mexico (Manchester United)

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/04/02/sports/02soccer_CA0/02soccer_CA0-articleLarge.jpg

And this guy... David Luiz, Brazil (Benfica)

http://totalfootballmadness.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/David-Luiz-1.jpg

Coentrao has been mentioned.

The guy from Austria was Erwin "Jimmy" Hoffer. Though Sebastian Prodl has probably the most off that team.

The Czechs were the biggest disappointment afterwards. Even though they got to the final, guys like Martin Fenin and Tomas Pekhart really haven't progressed.

Juanito
02-03-2011, 04:49 PM
^^

Have you noticed how some of the better teams of this past years World Cup have invested in their youth system?

To me, this is why England shits the bed every year. They are too concerned with the WAGs and the media focuses far too much on the goings-on in the Premiership. England, historically, don't put much effort to the U-20 side, they siphon all their youth to the U-21.

Argentina, Chile, Spain, Brazil do .... and they have done fairly well.

Juanito
02-03-2011, 04:54 PM
I didn't see any Chilean players on the list. Which is a bit surprising to me. I personally thought they were probably one of the most skilled teams in the tournament. Alexi Sanchez would've been a great pick I think and in my opinion this kid is as good as Aguero. Now, I would've put Vidangossy on the list of top midfielders in the tournament but I don't understand what has happened to this kid? I thought he was the most skilled player in the entire tournament at the time and I would've thought by now he'd be playing for Real Madrid or another big club.

I agree that Alexis Sánchez is a quality footballer, but he is no Agüero. Kun is a cut above Alexis Sánchez, Ángel Di María, Javier Hernández, and Luis Suárez. All those players are quality, I would LOVE to have them on my team (and with Suárez I do ;)), but Agüero is simply better.

nobodybeatsthewiz
02-03-2011, 05:01 PM
i personally think you overrate kun a wee bit much, juan. some biased opinion in there, maybe? ;):) kun is awesome, no doubt, but the others are progressing and slowly catching up to him.

i love these discussions, its fun looking back on past tourneys to see the 'whos who' of names before they burst onto the scene.

Juanito
02-03-2011, 05:08 PM
i personally think you overrate kun a wee bit much, juan. some biased opinion in there, maybe? ;):) kun is awesome, no doubt, but the others are progressing and slowly catching up to him.

i love these discussions, its fun looking back on past tourneys to see the 'whos who' of names before they burst onto the scene.

As you like to say Neil .... I "rate him" .... ;)

Agüero has incredible ball-skill and he has done wonders at his age. Only Suárez has been able to do as well at both club and the international level, but Agüero is just better. I love him. I love him more than that Judas twat who shall remain nameless. Dumb fucking asswipe from Fuenlabrada.

Macksam
02-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Di Maria was the star of the U20 world cup imo.

I would also like to mention Pato.

Ryan1984
02-03-2011, 09:10 PM
That was such a great time. It is how i became a TFC season ticket holder i paid the $50.00 deposit just so i could get first crack at the U20 World cup tickets.

Juanito
02-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Di Maria was the star of the U20 world cup imo.

I would also like to mention Pato.

How can we forget?

http://njmg.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/03/alexandre_pato_the_associated_press.jpg

SilverSamurai
02-04-2011, 12:07 AM
This was a great tourney, and the start of the horrible WCQ for Canada...
Where are the Canadian players?
Edgar is over in the UK, along Peters, and Nana is here, but is anyone else getting 1st team mins, or even on a top flight squad?

Juanito
02-04-2011, 09:30 AM
^^

Oh Canada. I mean that Oooooooooooooooooooooo my goodness Canada. Until we get our shit together from the top, the players will never amount to much. There is no system to help the kids mature, they are left to fend for themselves. I think we lost a generation. Maybe the new generation that's being raised in MLS will have better luck.

McBrace
02-04-2011, 10:06 AM
I agree that Alexis Sánchez is a quality footballer, but he is no Agüero. Kun is a cut above Alexis Sánchez, Ángel Di María, Javier Hernández, and Luis Suárez. All those players are quality, I would LOVE to have them on my team (and with Suárez I do ;)), but Agüero is simply better.

And I can't wait for him to come to Chelsea as well.. Torres and Aguero will be a good replacement for Drogba and Anelka...

Sorry Juan...:D

Mark in Ottawa
02-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Where are the Canadian players?
Edgar is over in the UK, along Peters, and Nana is here, but is anyone else getting 1st team mins, or even on a top flight squad?
Begovic played goal for Canada in that tournament. I remember him getting red carded. He is now in the EPL with Stoke.

And of course TFC's own Andrea Lombardo (at that time) was on that team as well.

Pachuco
02-04-2011, 11:25 AM

I believe he's just as good. Not better, but just as good. I wouldn't be able to decide who I'd rather have on my team if I had the option. The thing about Alexis is he needs some time in the Champions League to get exposure. He played well at the World Cup but being at Udinese in my mind doesn't help him. If you ask me, he's already one of Chile's best players on the national team where Aguero hasn't really cracked the Argentine starting line up. You could argue that Aguero has some stiff competition but at this point in time, Argentina is no better then Chile on the national stage.

But I'll tell you what, if rumours are true, and Aguero goes to Chelsea and Sanchez goes to ManU then I will have an absolutely blast watching the EPL. Two of my favorite players going up against each other on two massive teams would be exciting as hell to watch. What makes it even better is we saw these kids go up against each other in Toronto when they were just that, kids. Also remember one thing, Sanchez was hurt during the world cup in Canada. I honestly believe he alone could've changed the outcome of that tourny for Chile if he was fit.

At the end of the day we are splitting hairs, they are both ridicolous good and I'm exited to see what the future holds for them.

hodgkiss
02-04-2011, 11:26 AM
i would have to say that canada has done fairly well... in the grand scheme of things...

as mentioned begovic is with stoke, will johnson is with real salt lake, simeon jackson is with norwich city, haber with st. johnstone, nana with tfc, edgar with burnley and peters with ipswich.

C.Ronaldo
02-04-2011, 12:21 PM
what about lambardo.

man that guy hit the wall in 2007

just shit and wet the bed and even puked in it

C.Ronaldo
02-04-2011, 12:21 PM
David luiz is at Chelsea now

And this guy... David Luiz, Brazil (Benfica)

http://totalfootballmadness.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/David-Luiz-1.jpg

Juanito
02-04-2011, 12:54 PM
And I can't wait for him to come to Chelsea as well.. Torres and Aguero will be a good replacement for Drogba and Anelka...

Sorry Juan...:D

You had to go there?! I'm in mourning here. If I were to divorce my wife, it would be easier than this!

Juanito
02-04-2011, 12:57 PM
I believe he's just as good. Not better, but just as good. I wouldn't be able to decide who I'd rather have on my team if I had the option. The thing about Alexis is he needs some time in the Champions League to get exposure. He played well at the World Cup but being at Udinese in my mind doesn't help him. If you ask me, he's already one of Chile's best players on the national team where Aguero hasn't really cracked the Argentine starting line up. You could argue that Aguero has some stiff competition but at this point in time, Argentina is no better then Chile on the national stage.

But I'll tell you what, if rumours are true, and Aguero goes to Chelsea and Sanchez goes to ManU then I will have an absolutely blast watching the EPL. Two of my favorite players going up against each other on two massive teams would be exciting as hell to watch. What makes it even better is we saw these kids go up against each other in Toronto when they were just that, kids. Also remember one thing, Sanchez was hurt during the world cup in Canada. I honestly believe he alone could've changed the outcome of that tourny for Chile if he was fit.

At the end of the day we are splitting hairs, they are both ridicolous good and I'm exited to see what the future holds for them.

I hope Sánchez goes to LIVERPOOL and Agüero stays in Spain. Torres and Agüero at Chelsea?! I'll have an aneurysm!