PDA

View Full Version : TFC full squad list for Turkey

denime
01-29-2011, 03:31 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/tfc-squad-list-turkey

Damien
01-29-2011, 04:11 PM
So this is what we were all waiting for eh?

Eddy Sidra//Defender//February 20, 1989//Canadian//TRIAL
Gianluca Zavarise//Midfielder//July 28, 1986//Canadian//TRIAL
Santiago Gonzalez Areco//Forward//June 11, 1992//Uruguayan//TRIAL
David Monsalve//Goalkeeper//December 21, 1988//Canadian//TRIAL
Javier Martina//Forward//February 1, 1987//Dutch//TRIAL
Nick Soolsma//Forward//January 17, 1988//Dutch//TRIAL
Bas Ent//Midfielder//September 28, 1987//Dutch//TRIAL
King Osei Gyan//Midfielder//December 22, 1988//Ghanian//TRIAL

Plus the Academy players...

Keith Makubuya//Forward//January 26, 1993//Canadian//Academy Player
Oscar Cordon//Midfielder//January 18, 1993//Canadian//Academy Player
Matthew Stinson//Midfielder//September 9, 1992//Canadian//Academy Player
Ashtone Morgan//Defender//February 9, 1991//Canadian//Academy Player

Damien
01-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Wonder if King Osei Gyan is any relation to Nana Attakora (Gyan).
Both Ghanian.

rocker
01-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Emmanuel Gomez is alive!

Super Cereal
01-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Wonder if King Osei Gyan is any relation to Nana Attakora (Gyan).
Both Ghanian.

Doubt it. Asamoah Gyan, Baffour Gyan, I'm guessing Gyan is a common Ghanian surname?

rocker
01-29-2011, 04:24 PM
what happened to Steve Beattie?
he's not on the list but was called to Toronto.

Nuvinho
01-29-2011, 04:26 PM
what happened to Steve Beattie?
he's not on the list but was called to Toronto.

all the supplementary draft picks were left in Toronto to work with the Academy team.

rocker
01-29-2011, 04:32 PM
all the supplementary draft picks were left in Toronto to work with the Academy team.

thanks!

Whoop
01-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Not much info on Nick Soolsma

http://www.vi.nl/Spelers/Speler.htm?dbid=55899&typeofpage=84137

A little more on Javier Martina

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javier_Martina

69Chevy396
01-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Eek. A striker with two goals in his pro career.

Globetrotter
01-29-2011, 04:54 PM
I'll be in Ghana/Togo/Benin/Sierra Leone in 2 weeks. I'll see if I can bring any superstars back.

TFC/Everton
01-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Javier Martin looks promising. A back up striker at AFC Ajax must be qualified to start in the MLS, no?

poppamidnight
01-29-2011, 05:13 PM
All that matter is none of these guys are old-balls......

I'm down for giving a look at younger trialists instead of wind-down or floundering-career guys

denime
01-29-2011, 05:38 PM
All that matter is none of these guys are old-balls......

I'm down for giving a look at younger trialists instead of wind-down or floundering-career guys

Agree,I like Winter's approach to give younger players a chance.

GuelphStorm2007
01-29-2011, 06:28 PM
I love the fact that these guys are in the early twenties. Lets hope they are capable and reliable players.

Alixir
01-29-2011, 06:46 PM
almost as bad as Andrea Lombardo.

rocker
01-29-2011, 06:52 PM
good to see if there's any cheap young talent for the middle and back end of the roster.
then later in camp they can fill remaining holes with bigger names, maybe even a DP.

Serb_Star
01-29-2011, 06:53 PM
He's 23 and has spent most of his career playing on youth teams, I don't really get the excitement about him.

Gyan looks promising though and I think they should have brought some defenders on trial as well.

69Chevy396
01-29-2011, 10:03 PM
almost as bad as Andrea Lombardo.
I don;t know what to think anymore. Mista came here after playing at the highest level, and ultimately was worse, on paper at least, than Lombardo, with his nil goals last season.

Stryker
01-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Emmanuel Gomez is alive!

Thankfully. I honestly think he's a better defender than Attakora. It'll be great to have him back if he's 100%.

TFCRegina
01-29-2011, 10:18 PM
I don;t know what to think anymore. Mista came here after playing at the highest level, and ultimately was worse, on paper at least, than Lombardo, with his nil goals last season.

Actually, Mista scored 1 goal in all competitions. And the one he scored counted...a lot...against Cruz Azul.

razor787
01-29-2011, 10:36 PM

Comparing Mista to Lombardo is a slap in the face to the sport. Mista may not have been a successful DP, but whenever he touched the ball, you could see the amount of class and skill he had.

Lombardo had trouble running with the ball, and was always tripping over it. They were nothing alike at all. Also, Mista was only here for a half season, and was never starting. If he had a full season with starts, I guarentee he would have had more goals (still not enough to warrant him as our DP however.

rocker
01-30-2011, 12:28 AM

looks like he prefers to pass:

http://segvideo.seginternational.com/play.php?vid=77

TFCREDNWHITE
01-30-2011, 12:55 AM
The videos show that he has excellent IQ in playing the Right Wing on the 4-3-3... excellent penetration and crossing is not to bad...

TFCREDNWHITE
01-30-2011, 01:04 AM

Im worried with this one because the kid is ONLY 18yrs old...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50MpHAg8pxY

J .
01-30-2011, 03:57 AM
Actually, Mista scored 1 goal in all competitions. And the one he scored counted...a lot...against Cruz Azul.

Mista gave up when he wasnt a regular and Barrett played in front of him. Something about earning his minutes didnt sit well.

razor787
01-30-2011, 04:52 AM

Im worried with this one because the kid is ONLY 18yrs old...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50MpHAg8pxY

Just because someone is 18, doesnt mean they wont be a valuable asset. I can't remember who exactly it was, but there was a player this year that came in at 18, and was really impressive.

We also got Attakora when he was 17/18 (he played in the reserve division all of 2007) and look at him now. Don't worry about the players age. If he has potential, he will be signed, if not then Winter wont bite. We can finally sit back and relax, having confidence that our coaching staff will sign the right guys.

We no longer have Mo at the helm, so we can now be confident a player will perform, despite having never heard of him before.

tfcleeds
01-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Besides Bas Ent, and the Canadians, Martina is the only one I've heard of. Interesting that King Osei Gyan was with Fulham youth/reserves.

69Chevy396
01-30-2011, 09:43 AM
I am very confident the team will be better now with Mo out of the picture, but shouldn't the team have a least one significant signing by now? A lot of starters were ejected, and in their place we have, I believe, only Sturgis as an experienced MLS player to take their place. Right now we have a disgruntled striker/midfielder in Dero, an injury prone Maicon, and these new guys, but where is the experienced goal scorer we have coveted for four seasons?

Red CB Toronto
01-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeh this situation is alot better than the all for not hardon the club had for Paul Dickov that seemed to be a neverending affair.

Carts
01-30-2011, 11:12 AM
If this is our day-1 roster, welcome to a season worse than year-1 :(

Ossington Mental Youth
01-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Yeh this situation is alot better than the all for not hardon the club had for Paul Dickov that seemed to be a neverending affair.

not so much club as it was Mo

ensco
01-30-2011, 11:23 AM

This may be true. We really look very similar to an expansion team.

Pigfynn
01-30-2011, 11:24 AM

With all due respect..how the hell can you know that?

No one knows these guys well enough to know how well they will do in MLS. Some of these trialists could do pretty well, who knows?

Ron Manager
01-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Faith and patience lads. Yes, it looks like a very significant overhaul, but let's realistically reflect on last year....an overhaul was needed. Winter will bring the players that can play his system and that will mean big roster changes between now and opening day.
I like the fact the trialists look young and from the few highlights we've seen, he seems to be looking at players that can hold on to the ball.

Carts
01-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Comparing Mista to Lombardo is a slap in the face to the sport. Mista may not have been a successful DP, but whenever he touched the ball, you could see the amount of class and skill he had.

I don't mean to be a prick, but I hate reading stuff like this...

Basically Mista brought nothing to the team in terms of results, but "you can see he's good when he has the ball"...

His goal against Cruz Azul was great, and that's what we paid and expected him to do - but he did that once...

WTF do I care if a guy "has class" on the ball when it brings nothing in terms of success, results, etc...?

This is the same stuff people post about JDG. 2-years of nothing but "he has class on the ball" or "you can see his skill"...

At the end of the day, a team needs to win. I'd rather have 11-guys out there who look like shit, but win, over a team of superstars who look great fiddling with the ball, but win nothing...

Carts...

Ossington Mental Youth
01-30-2011, 11:51 AM
This may be true. We really look very similar to an expansion team.

except we have at least 10 players that have played at least 1 season together.
As ive said previously we've got the skeleton of a good team, just a couple of players and some tweaking is needed. A good majority of our important players have played together for a while, now its just a matter of bringing the whole team up to speed and under a new system. Doesnt mean we will be number 1 out the gate, theres bound to be growing pains but i think we've got a leg up over expansion teams.

Faith and patience lads. Yes, it looks like a very significant overhaul, but let's realistically reflect on last year....an overhaul was needed. Winter will bring the players that can play his system and that will mean big roster changes between now and opening day.
I like the fact the trialists look young and from the few highlights we've seen, he seems to be looking at players that can hold on to the ball.

yep

Alixir
01-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Lombardo as a striker has 1 goal in his entire career. Mista has 97 as a stiker over his career. Why people are even comparing the 2 is beyond me.

ArmenJBX
01-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Mista never even played for us! We signed him, let him play, what, 5 times? And then we shipped him off.

Obviously he got into some kinda fight with Preki, and that was the end of that

torontocelt
01-30-2011, 02:01 PM
The videos show that he has excellent IQ in playing the Right Wing on the 4-3-3... excellent penetration and crossing is not to bad...

He looks like a smashing player, he has an excellent touch, great control plus a variety of tricks to get past a man. He also has great speed and good final delivery. Although you cannot truly judge a player by a few clips he looks like he has all the tools to be a success for Toronto and he looks like he would be exciting to watch. I think back to last year when Jacob Peterson got the ball out wide and he had absolutely no control over the ball, it was so bad it was almost comical. Judging from this clip I dont think you will see that from this guy.

69Chevy396
01-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Lombardo as a striker has 1 goal in his entire career. Mista has 97 as a stiker over his career. Why people are even comparing the 2 is beyond me.
Mista with all his talent was incapable of fulfilling his role as striker. Lombardo had no talent, but tried hard every game. Both failed to execute. If Mista was hired to be a set up guy (and he might have been more suited to that role), we could understand his mediocrity around the box. Using your argument we should never have cut Cunningham or Ruiz after the way they played here, cause they had a lot of goals in the past.

razor787
01-30-2011, 06:14 PM
I don't mean to be a prick, but I hate reading stuff like this...

Basically Mista brought nothing to the team in terms of results, but "you can see he's good when he has the ball"...

His goal against Cruz Azul was great, and that's what we paid and expected him to do - but he did that once...

WTF do I care if a guy "has class" on the ball when it brings nothing in terms of success, results, etc...?

This is the same stuff people post about JDG. 2-years of nothing but "he has class on the ball" or "you can see his skill"...

At the end of the day, a team needs to win. I'd rather have 11-guys out there who look like shit, but win, over a team of superstars who look great fiddling with the ball, but win nothing...

Carts...

You may have misunderstood my point with that. All I was saying was that Mista was a much better player than Lombardo, which you could see with his footwork and ball control. He was still a shit player though. They both didn't produce with us, which is all that matters. But even though neither produced, to compare the two is insane. Mista didnt produce, but was able to get past some defenders, and he had a damn hard shit. Lombardo didn't produce, and was constantly tripping over the ball, and giving up posession.

Alixir
01-31-2011, 12:42 PM
Mista with all his talent was incapable of fulfilling his role as striker. Lombardo had no talent, but tried hard every game. Both failed to execute. If Mista was hired to be a set up guy (and he might have been more suited to that role), we could understand his mediocrity around the box. Using your argument we should never have cut Cunningham or Ruiz after the way they played here, cause they had a lot of goals in the past.shouldn't be using my argument period as there was never intended to be an argurment...you commented on a player that has 2 pro goals. I said almost as bad as Lombardo who has 1. Then someone started comparing Mista. The only reason I even brought Lombardo's name into this is cause I could not think of another striker who only has 1 pro goal.

P-NUTZ
01-31-2011, 03:51 PM
well, the positive spin is in an element of surprise when we take the field from now on - teams will definitely have to pause and think about "Who the f**k are these guys?"