PDA

View Full Version : New Team in East: Houston

Lucky Strike
01-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Didn't see a thread for it, please merge if appropriate.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/mls-announces-conference-alignment

So, what do you guys think?

Alixir
01-28-2011, 02:45 PM
as if things weren't hard enough for us already. :(

Darlofletch
01-28-2011, 02:46 PM
meh. kind of surprised they didn't do dallas as well, and move kansas city over to the west, keep dallas and houston in same conference as rivals.

Given that they didn't do that, I'd expect houston back in west next year when montreal come in.

Lucky Strike
01-28-2011, 02:51 PM
meh. kind of surprised they didn't do dallas as well, and move kansas city over to the west, keep dallas and houston in same conference as rivals.

Given that they didn't do that, I'd expect houston back in west next year when montreal come in.

I wouldn't think so about Montreal. Because then it'll be 10 in East and 9 in West - no balance can be achieved. But I am surprised they didn't do as you suggest for Houston and Dallas. But it's a balanced schedule so maybe it matters less now...

Roogsy
01-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Does it really matter?

This league still plays the traditional "home and away" schedule for the most part and the conferences mean little in the playoffs as we learned with the "Eastern Conference Champions" Real Salt Lake.

I really don't understand why they don't just do away with the whole "east" "west" thing anyways.

Whoop
01-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Agreed... just bring in a single table and if you want a playoff just take the top 8.

So much easier...

DangerRed
01-28-2011, 02:58 PM
This is so dumb. To Roogsy's point, just look at who was the Eastern Conference Champion this past season. This conferencing, especially since everyone plays each other twice anyway, is a silly hangover from North American sports culture. "Gotta have a conference and gotta have playoffs. Fuckin' A!"

Can someone remind me again why we're fucking around with this instead of transitioning to a single-table format?

Keystone FC
01-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Agreed... just bring in a single table and if you want a playoff just take the top 8.

So much easier...
It's a US league. There MUST be a Eastern and Western conference in every US sports league. It's in our Constitution. That's the real reason we fought the British.:D

Roogsy
01-28-2011, 03:05 PM
It's a US league. There MUST be a Eastern and Western conference in every US sports league. It's in our Constitution. That's the real reason we fought the British.:D

I thought it was to take the "u" out of words like "colour" and "favour". :lol:

Keystone FC
01-28-2011, 03:09 PM
This is so dumb. To Roogsy's point, just look at who was the Eastern Conference Champion this past season. This conferencing, especially since everyone plays each other twice anyway, is a silly hangover from North American sports culture. "Gotta have a conference and gotta have playoffs. Fuckin' A!"

Can someone remind me again why we're fucking around with this instead of transitioning to a single-table format?
The Eastern/Western Conference thing is moot anyhow seeing that it's the top 8 (now 10) clubs that get into the playoffs anyhow. The E/W thing is just for geographical rival reference.
But I do agree that when I see the table in the paper my mind immediately goes from a E/W table to a single table.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-28-2011, 03:22 PM

So much easier...

Been saying this for a while.
For whatever reason down south they seem to feel conferences are necessary. I like the playoffs dont have a problem with them (cept maybe it should be 8 teams instead of 10). That being said Conferences are retarded. Get the table going. Rivalries are best played LESS, not more. Although a rivalry is still a rivalry no matter what.

Roogsy
01-28-2011, 03:24 PM
10 team playoffs in an 18 team league is just as stupid if not more stupid that this conference system they have.

J .
01-28-2011, 03:29 PM
They want it so that there is playoff interested in both sides of the continent.

Stupid MLS rules.

Hopefully when there is 20 teams it is a single table.

Roogsy
01-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Maybe playoffs will go to the top 12 teams when there are 20 teams in the league. :rolleyes:

Ossington Mental Youth
01-28-2011, 03:42 PM
They want it so that there is playoff interested in both sides of the continent.

Stupid MLS rules.

Hopefully when there is 20 teams it is a single table.

i seem to think they have stated several times they will never do a table format. completely retarded. no reason why we cant do the table and have play offs. enough of this fair play shit. 8 team play offs and full table with no conferences. If your team sucks, take it to management.

DangerRed
01-28-2011, 04:07 PM
i seem to think they have stated several times they will never do a table format. completely retarded. no reason why we cant do the table and have play offs. enough of this fair play shit. 8 team play offs and full table with no conferences. If your team sucks, take it to management.
:iagree:

J .
01-28-2011, 04:24 PM

Unfortunately

Nicholas982
01-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Does it really matter?

This league still plays the traditional "home and away" schedule for the most part and the conferences mean little in the playoffs as we learned with the "Eastern Conference Champions" Real Salt Lake.

I really don't understand why they don't just do away with the whole "east" "west" thing anyways.

I think that they just assumed that the universe would implode in on itself if they dared to set up a North American professional sports league that didn't have an Eastern and Western conference, to be honest.

Single table, please. Thank you. :D

jloome
01-28-2011, 06:46 PM

Myopic corporate types. I challenged Ives to run a poll on this on his site two seasons ago and it was clear fans across the league wanted single table, with the league winner getting the most important title. (He actually ran the poll, I think, to prove me wrong. Suh-prise suh-prise.)

Cashcleaner
01-28-2011, 08:06 PM
I now hope that people understand that it's really not a big deal to move clubs between divisions. I remember some were actually quite worried over what would happen when Portland and Vancouver came in as (gasp!) two west coast teams.

From the league's perspective, it's really a non-issue in the grand scheme of things and really only matters with the current playoff format.

And yeah, is it just me, or does it really seem like single table is actually around the corner when the 20th club is playing? I know a lot of people are chomping at the bit for it, but I sorta see it as an inevitability. Just a bit of a wait until that time, though.