PDA

View Full Version : Cunningham signs with Crew

Pookie
01-28-2011, 02:27 PM
The Columbus Crew signed striker Jeff Cunningham to a multi-year deal, the Major League Soccer club announced on Friday.

The 34-year-old Cunningham is MLS's second all-time leading goal scorer. He was selected from FC Dallas in Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Draft last month.

The Crew originally selected Cunningham with the No. 9 pick in the 1998 MLS draft, where he played his first seven MLS seasons. Since leaving Columbus, Cunningham has played for Colorado, Real Salt Lake, Toronto FC and Dallas.

Cunningham has 132 career MLS goals, which is just one behind the retired Jaime Moreno for tops in the MLS record book.

"I'm really excited to return to the club where I started my professional career," Cunningham said in a statement. "I scored the first goal of my career in a Crew jersey and my 100th at Crew Stadium [while with FC Dallas], and it is a place that has always been special to me. It's only fitting that I break the all-time scoring record in black and gold."

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=351452

---------------

Geez, with numbers like that, don't you think that he should have held out for DP status? :hide:

Maybe it wasn't what he wants but perhaps something he deserves?

Redcoe15
01-28-2011, 02:29 PM
^^ Yup! Cunningham and the Crew deserve each other.

Shakes McQueen
01-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Im JDG makes $1.7m per season, then Cunningham should be demanding at least $3m per season, amirite?

- Scott

Yohan
01-28-2011, 02:31 PM
I can formally renew my hatred of the Crew... It was bit lacking ever since Shitlicker and Old Hippie (Heyduckling) left Columbus

Pookie
01-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Im JDG makes $1.7m per season, then Cunningham should be demanding at least $3m per season, amirite?

Apparently that would be about $2.85M less per year than he got with the Crew.

I guess that is the market value for 34 year old, 2nd all time leading scorers, one year removed from a Golden Boot award?

Ossington Mental Youth
01-28-2011, 02:41 PM
my hatred never once wavered and this obviously does nothing but put fuel on the fire. what. a. cunt.

Auzzy
01-28-2011, 02:53 PM
It will be interesting to see how much Cunningham actually makes, when the salary list comes out later. Last year he made $220,000 with Dallas. Supposedly Columbus was offering $150k. Probably somewhere in between.

Pookie
01-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Crew said yesterday that they couldn't go over $150k but they appreciated that he showed up to camp in good faith.

Keystone FC
01-28-2011, 03:13 PM
"I'm really excited to return to the club where I started my professional career," Cunningham said in a statement. "I scored the first goal of my career in a Crew jersey and my 100th at Crew Stadium [while with FC Dallas], and it is a place that has always been special to me. It's only fitting that I break the all-time scoring record in black and gold."

So that is why you showed up in Cbus but then jumped on the first plane that went to Europe and tried out with a Finnish Div.III club and failed to make their roster...That's why Cbus is a special place to you?