PDA

View Full Version : (now Ex-)Coach Nick Dasovic and TFC part ways

Parkdale
01-28-2011, 01:10 PM
http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1087-Nick-Dasovic-and-Toronto-FC-part-ways

Canadian Soccer News has learned this morning that former head coach Nick Dasovic is no longer with Toronto FC.

Sources told CSN that the Canadian had not traveled to Turkey with the team and that 'he was done with the club.'

go check the link for the rest of this breaking news.

and wow.

ensco
01-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Very tough to move from coach to assistant at the same club. Probably for the best.

ManUtd4ever
01-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Saw it coming a mile away given his reduced role within the organization and it's in the best interest of both parties.

Parkdale
01-28-2011, 01:13 PM
yeah, I'm sure it's all part of the reorganization.

I never expected him to stay on at a high level capacity, and going to the reserve / academy would be a serious demotion.

All the best of luck to him (except if he joins one of our rivals, which is likely)

Ageroo
01-28-2011, 01:14 PM
I can see him headed to Vancouver.....

Gazza
01-28-2011, 01:18 PM
I can see him headed to Vancouver.....

Completely agree, but in a training capacity, which i think is his biggest attribute...that, or he joins Stephen Hart and the national team, which would bring back bad memories of the 90's for me.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-28-2011, 01:19 PM
no surprise, nice guy but no big loss here.
Good luck to ya Daso!

scooter
01-28-2011, 01:23 PM
sad but somehow i have been expecting this

all we can do is wish nick well and good luck i am sure he will pop up somewhere on the canadian soccer scene

J .
01-28-2011, 01:29 PM
He does not have a pedigree of success at TFC or the CSA.

Shakes McQueen
01-28-2011, 01:31 PM
I wish him luck wherever he lands, but this isn't shocking at all. He worked in an assistant role for a long time, finally got promoted on an interim basis, and then it was clear that he was either going to have to go somewhere else, or accept a diminished role with the team again.

Assuming his goal was eventually to coach a team, it was clear that he had no future with TFC.

- Scott

TFC/Everton
01-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Glad Jimmy and Earl are sticking around

DangerRed
01-28-2011, 01:36 PM
I was surprised he stayed on after Winter & Co. were announced, so this isn't coming out of nowhere. Maybe Montreal or VanCity will have a role for him?

DangerRed
01-28-2011, 01:39 PM

I wouldn't bet on that just yet.

s2cazz
01-28-2011, 01:43 PM
I can't believe people are sad to see the guy go. I'm not happy to see him go but I'm definately not sad. TBH we shouldn't be sad to see anyone ever go from this club yet because the club hasn't achieved anything therefore no one has helped the club achieve anything.

Thats just my $0.02 worth. Good luck to the guy though. No hard feelings.

Beach_Red
01-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Very tough to move from coach to assistant at the same club. Probably for the best.

Yes, but why now? Is there anything to this timing?

Parkdale
01-28-2011, 01:46 PM

Earl's got a pretty safe spot. Jimmy... who knows.

I can't believe people are sad to see the guy go. I'm not happy to see him go but I'm definately not sad. TBH we shouldn't be sad to see anyone ever go from this club yet because the club hasn't achieved anything therefore no one has helped the club.

I wouldn't say people are sad to see him go.

almost every post in this thread is simply saying "no surprise there, good luck down the road"

Ossington Mental Youth

saw jimmy yesterday with the academy kids training

billyfly
He probably had to decide to go to Turkey or not (as a breaking point).

JonO
01-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Yes, but why now? Is there anything to this timing?
For sure there is something with the timing:
1) He has had sufficient time to discuss his role with the new management team and reach an informed decision about it (assuming he chose to leave)
2) Team left for Turkey yesterday. If either party had decided to go their separate ways, the trip to Turkey would have just been an awkward waste of time...

s2cazz
01-28-2011, 01:49 PM

almost every post in this thread is simply saying "no surprise there, good luck down the road"

I'm speaking in general terms not just RPB. I was talking about comments under BR's article. Sorry I should have specified.

A real shame - Nick is a definite asset to TFC..

Shame he brought a lot to toronto and i thought he would be a good fit to coach the reserve team. As a young canadian coach i hope he lands on his feet, as we need to develop not just better players but better coaches and off field staff.

Stupid of TFC to do that!.

Parkdale
01-28-2011, 02:00 PM
He probably had to decide to go to Turkey or not (as a breaking point).

oh man.... I wonder if it went down like this....

"So when the team is in turkey, it would be great if you could...."

"wait, I'm not going with them?"

"well no. We thought that you you could stay with the.....

Stands up, turns around, walks out.

strictly speculation on my part.

DangerRed
01-28-2011, 02:01 PM
saw jimmy yesterday with the academy kids training

That's definitely a positive sign. Maybe Jimmy's onside with the Dutchification of the academy and fits in well. Nick was just plain old surplus to the new management team, so he went early. If Jimmy or Earl go, it'll be on merit, which is never a bad thing anyway.

v00d00daddy
01-28-2011, 02:03 PM

I agree with Danger.

Earl's got a pretty safe spot. Jimmy... who knows.

True enough.

Jimmy should go and work with the academy (Dichio too). Learn their trade there. Earl can go back to number crunching or whatever it was he did prior to the interim GM job.

This team should be Winters and Mariners. Nobody else. That way...in a couple years we know who is responsible for either making us better or continuing the failure.

Where are all the "you don't throw out the baby with the bathwater" people.

Good addition by subtraction imo.

Best of luck to him on his next gig.

DangerRed
01-28-2011, 02:03 PM
oh man.... I wonder if it went down like this....

"So when the team is in turkey, it would be great if you could...."

"wait, I'm not going with them?"

"well no. We thought that you you could stay with the.....

Stands up, turns around, walks out.

strictly speculation on my part.

Or it could've been like this:

"Hey Daso, it's the Shitecaps here."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Listen, it's plain and obvious you've fallen down the management depth chart quite hard these days and it's just a matter of time when they start asking why they're even paying you a paycheque."

"Go on."

"Well, your family's out here, and we've got a good job for you on staff that adds value, pays similar and will keep you in the MLS. Whaddya say?"

"I'm in."

Substitute "Vancouver" for "Montreal" (except for the "your family is here" part) and it works too.

Again, pure speculation.

billyfly
01-28-2011, 02:04 PM
My source says Nick was not happy with the demotion.

He was fully expected to be on the plane however. Seems like most were surprised that he didn't show although they all knew he was mad.

Parkdale
01-28-2011, 02:13 PM
My source says Nick was not happy with the demotion.

you have a source?

Is it a gate contractor?

billyfly
01-28-2011, 02:32 PM
^I have told you before who it is haven't I?

Parkdale
01-28-2011, 02:38 PM
maybe. But I'm forgetful.

Darlofletch
01-28-2011, 02:44 PM
don't think it'll make that big of a difference really. best of luck to him.

given how much anselmi talked about investing in Dasovic and others, the fact that he was allowed to leave, rather than winter being forced to give him a good enough position for him to stay is a good sign that winter and mariner have control over that sort of thing.

rocker
01-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Daso seemed like a nice guy, but I'm not really sure what he contributed since most of the time he was under other bosses. When he took over TFC, the style of the team certainly changed... not necessarily for the better though. I found after Daso took over, certain players played better, certain players played worse (Nana + Cann in particular). That whole idea of cultivating Canadian coaches is nice in theory.... and Daso got his chance... but you can't expect to keep every Canadian coach around forever, in the same way you can't expect to keep every canadian player you develop through the academy.

It's interesting that a similar thing happened to Richie Williams, who was interim head coach in NY before Hans Backe came in. But the team kept Williams and he's still there as assistant.

Pachuco
01-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Oh well. I have nothing else to say.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-28-2011, 03:15 PM
prob was content in his position

Stryker
01-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Why? So one can hold Winters office door open while the other keeps the breeze from blowing papers off his desk?

babone
01-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Oh well time to move on, I wanted change and am comfortable that the right choice was made for the long term. If he goes to the whitecraps good for him.

zeelaw
01-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Surely he didn't think he would get the job?

Oldtimer
01-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Jimmy should go and work with the academy (Dichio too). Learn their trade there. Earl can go back to number crunching or whatever it was he did prior to the interim GM job.

... but... but... but... who will get the coffee?

ensco
01-29-2011, 08:57 AM

Well, he had a decent chance until WinterMariner showed up, which was only 4 weeks ago.

But when de Klerk came too, that meant not only was Daso not the coach, he wouldn't be a meaningful assistant either.

It's too hard on anyone's ego and relationships to fall that far, in any organization.

London
01-29-2011, 08:58 AM
i could care less actually, i never did understand the hype

Ron Manager
01-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Jimmy is staying but not in an office role. He will be coaching one of the academy teams. I believe it will be a newly formed u17 squad.

Oldtimer
01-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Jimmy is staying but not in an office role. He will be coaching one of the academy teams. I believe it will be a newly formed u17 squad.

He\s better suited to that, and maybe scouting.

It was our incompetent former GM who thought that a soccer player would be great in a desk job.

s2cazz
01-29-2011, 10:28 AM
i could care less actually, i never did understand the hype

It's because he was canadian and The fans wanted him. The fans wanted cummins ...fail
Daso... Fail
JDG... Fail (so far) and even if he does work out he is a waste of a dp IMO and was definately not what TFC needed when the fans were crying for him
Hopefully FO notices the trends too and walks a fine line between doing whats right and giving the fans what they want. Because lets face it. We don't have the greatest track record.

Sullivan
01-29-2011, 10:30 AM
As far as Daso goes, I don't see him being the tactical/technical coach that he thinks he is. I respect that he wants to be the top guy, but he needs to win something somewhere and be consistent, prove himself. I hope he chases a gig in the USL/NASL for a couple of years because he's got something to offer. I saw it with the Olympic team, and I saw it while he was interim. But I don't think he's ready yet.

However, I think he lands in Montreal, he's good friends with Nick De Santis. In Vancouver, he'd be too far down in the hierarchy for his own liking, which is why he's left TFC.

Brennan & Dichio will be the faces of TFCA. It's the "Ajax" way.

When TFCA goes recruiting, it will be Brennan & Dichio knocking on the player's door, closing the deal. Think about it, they make a statement when recruiting. They played in the UK, they played with TFC, and they are now coaching in the academy, now here they are recruiting a 13 year old who is undecided because his club coach is in his head to stay local, "don't go to the pro club".

Now, if Cochrane and Neely show up to close the deal, I think the local club coach stands a chance.

Personally I think TFC will make a play for most Canadian TFC alumni to be a part of TFCA in some capacity.

TFC14
01-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Wow under 17...I'm impressed, this team is really working hard to develop a great youth program all the way down to U-7 teams. Also a better position for Brennan I have no Idea why he was ever given an office job-except to maybe play Fifa Manager with Mo as a form of scouting...siming 5 season ahead to find Usanov and Mista's potential overall attributes. This guys a leader and inspiration to young Canadian's trying to make it I think this role and even age group is a way better suit for him.

TFC14
01-29-2011, 10:42 AM
As far as Daso goes, I don't see him being the tactical/technical coach that he thinks he is. I respect that he wants to be the top guy, but he needs to win something somewhere and be consistent, prove himself. I hope he chases a gig in the USL/NASL for a couple of years because he's got something to offer. I saw it with the Olympic team, and I saw it while he was interim. But I don't think he's ready yet.

However, I think he lands in Montreal, he's good friends with Nick De Santis. In Vancouver, he'd be too far down in the hierarchy for his own liking, which is why he's left TFC.

When TFCA goes recruiting, it will be Brennan & Dichio knocking on the player's door, closing the deal. Think about it, they make a statement when recruiting. They played in the UK, they played with TFC, and they are now coaching in the academy, now here they are recruiting a 13 year old who is undecided because his club coach is in his head to stay local, "don't go to the pro club".

Now, if Cochrane and Neely show up to close the deal, I think the local club coach stands a chance.

Personally I think TFC will make a play for most Canadian TFC alumni to be a part of TFCA in some capacity.
That's the way to build history with your franchise...keep the home-town kids employed, it says a lot about your franchise when you take care of your own and keep them in the fold...Also as a fan I love to see Dichio's big bald head on the field whenever I can still. I personally love that TFC is going in this direction this early in their history.

ManUtd4ever
01-29-2011, 10:58 AM

Great post. I agree wholeheartedly with that philosophy in managing the Academy system...

J .
01-29-2011, 11:18 AM

I think he thought so. Based on his track record, that is a little shocking.

scooter
01-29-2011, 07:56 PM
I can't believe people are sad to see the guy go. I'm not happy to see him go but I'm definately not sad. TBH we shouldn't be sad to see anyone ever go from this club yet because the club hasn't achieved anything therefore no one has helped the club achieve anything.

agreed but he really didnt have much of a chance to make things happen and i think he could have
but onward and upward :scarf:

moralis
01-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Dan Dunleavy of the Fan 590 confirms from his sources that Nick Dasovic is leaving TFC:

http://www.fan590.com/

Dan Dunleavy's twitter:

http://twitter.com/DPDPXP

Hitcho
01-31-2011, 10:06 AM
don't think it'll make that big of a difference really. best of luck to him.

given how much anselmi talked about investing in Dasovic and others, the fact that he was allowed to leave, rather than winter being forced to give him a good enough position for him to stay is a good sign that winter and mariner have control over that sort of thing.

Agreed. You can't sit between two stools on this - either you go for the sexy 4-3-3 and commit to the team in charge of that whole-heartedly, or you to stick to ANselmi's somewhat ridiculous "we're grooming these guys into great future TFC coaches, because if you keep them here long enough in senior positions then it's bound to work eventually" philosophy.

Glad to see that shexy fooshball has won the day! :D