PDA

View Full Version : Bud: the Official Beer of the Vancouver Whitecaps

Pookie
01-27-2011, 04:21 PM
http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Budweiser+deal+bittersweet+fans/4175898/story.html

So, does that mean that they are expecting to put forward a watered down product that's only real impact is that it makes you want to pee?

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0902/budweiser-demotivational-poster-1235481543.jpg

Ron Manager
01-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Stay classy Vancouver.

Yohan
01-27-2011, 04:45 PM
one more reason to mock the shitecaps. bud is crap beer. i'd refuse it even if it was free

Brooker
01-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Shit beer for a shit team. I like it.

DangerRed
01-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Yes, Bud is piss, but let's not forget we're not exactly drinking the finest available libations, either.

Yohan
01-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Yes, Bud is piss, but let's not forget we're not exactly drinking the finest available libations, either.
carlsberg is better than bud. by miles.

Pookie
01-27-2011, 05:15 PM
I'll write these guys and see if we can't set something up

http://www.moolf.com/images/stories/Interesting/The-Best-Beer-In-the-World/innis-and-gunn.jpg

T_Mizz
01-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Man if there's one thing I hate as much as terrible beers it's beer snobs. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with pissing out a beer, but don't piss on a beer. Yeah some beers are better than others, granted but come on beer is beer. It's like BJs even when they're bad, they're still BJs.

PS Yes! If I&G would sell at BMO, that'd be crazy!

Red Rat
01-27-2011, 05:27 PM
BYOB!

jazzy
01-27-2011, 06:48 PM
If we can buy creemore at the ACC, why can't we get it at the field?

Auzzy
01-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Stay classy Vancouver.

Budweiser matches the plastic pitch, I guess...

MG42
01-27-2011, 07:19 PM

http://www.moolf.com/images/stories/Interesting/The-Best-Beer-In-the-World/innis-and-gunn.jpg

wicked...that's right

torontocelt
01-27-2011, 08:16 PM

DeRo said this was his favorite beer when he was on trial in Scotland, could not get enough of it apparently. I dunno if he was just trying to win over the locals but he did say he loves vegetarian haggis also. Also said if he could he would have preferred to play for the Scotland national team (even though we suck) and that he hated poutine.

Ryan1984
01-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Steam Whistle at TFC games for me is way better then that piss carlsberg

TFCRegina
01-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Shite beer for the Shitecaps.

Yeoman
01-27-2011, 10:25 PM
one more reason to mock the shitecaps. bud is crap beer. i'd refuse it even if it was free

come on now, like you would have said no to it in afghanistan
listen in canada, i'd of said no to steam whistle
but the ghan? i shot gunned those beers in front of the company 2ic

dupont
01-27-2011, 10:38 PM

That is like choosing between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.
I couldn't think of two more terrible beers than Bud and Carlsberg if I tried.

Now, if we got some Steam Whistle and Mill Street down at BMO I would be really happy!

Yohan
01-27-2011, 11:59 PM
come on now, like you would have said no to it in afghanistan
listen in canada, i'd of said no to steam whistle
but the ghan? i shot gunned those beers in front of the company 2ic
i think it's an extreme, unusual circumstances over in the sandbox. i'd do a lot of things there like i wouldn't do in canada (like chasing fugly whales)

Cashcleaner
01-28-2011, 01:36 AM
I don't need much convincing to start ragging on the Whitecaps, but much of TFC's line-up of sponsors isn't what I would call stellar by any stretch.

Though we do have Strongbow as a partner, so that makes up for Just Energy and Meritus University.

Yohan
01-28-2011, 01:40 AM
i've never seen strongbow at BMO?

bman27
01-28-2011, 02:10 AM
they don't have it on tap, but it is available in cans

Yeoman
01-28-2011, 06:26 AM
i think it's an extreme, unusual circumstances over in the sandbox. i'd do a lot of things there like i wouldn't do in canada (like chasing fugly whales)

haha man good old field eye
that fat ugly 58 year old medic, sure did look better by month three in kaf haha.

Wagner
01-28-2011, 06:38 AM
kokanee is a labatt product...and local...
why didn't they go with that?

Toronto Gunner
01-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Two Points:

1. Carlsberg paid for the advertising and placement, that's why they are our beer. If the good folks at Interbrew decided that Bud needed more market saturation in Toronto, they would have gone with bud (ugh).

2. Innis and Gunn is one of may favourite beers, but could you imagine the cost of a large I&G at a TFC game? They're what, $3.25 at the LCBO for a bottle? A large beer would be running us closer to $18 at BMO. Not that I would mind, I normally only have one anyway :)

Shakes McQueen
01-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Carlsberg is basically European Budweiser. Neither beer is very good.

I'd love to see BMO start carrying more local options like Steamwhistle or Mill St.

- Scott

prizby
01-28-2011, 08:01 AM
enjoy the water vancouver

scooter
01-28-2011, 08:22 AM
lame beer but the shitecaps are canadian so i hate to bash them to much after all they are going to be part of the push to improve the game in our country

Ageroo
01-28-2011, 08:34 AM
i've never seen strongbow at BMO?

King cans baby...you need to wander more.

Pookie
01-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Two Points:

1. Carlsberg paid for the advertising and placement, that's why they are our beer. If the good folks at Interbrew decided that Bud needed more market saturation in Toronto, they would have gone with bud (ugh).

2. Innis and Gunn is one of may favourite beers, but could you imagine the cost of a large I&G at a TFC game? They're what, $3.25 at the LCBO for a bottle? A large beer would be running us closer to $18 at BMO. Not that I would mind, I normally only have one anyway :)

Have you tried that Highland Cask version? Comes out at Christmas in the green box. 4.95 a bottle but brewed in 21 year old whiskey casks. Terrific but for the price you almost expect a pole dance to go along with it

Seen
01-28-2011, 08:52 AM
I'd love to see BMO start carrying more local options like Steamwhistle or Mill St.

- Scott

They have Steam Whistle in cans near gate 3.

Now if we had some Mill Street or something from Granite, that would be cool.

ManUtd4ever
01-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Budweiser tastes like piss and the Whitecaps front office keeps shitting on their supporters. How fitting...

ManUtd4ever
01-28-2011, 09:05 AM
One of my personal favorites that would make sense from a marketing perspective for TFC: Rickard's Red

Technorgasm
01-28-2011, 09:06 AM
CARLSBERG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> bud
TFC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> VCWC

jvanpeebles
01-28-2011, 09:12 AM
I had this beer over the holidays. It is beer made in scotch barrels. $5 bucks a pop each at the liquor store. In BMO prices that is $20 dollars for a 330 ml bottle. Wasn't even worth the 5 bucks as far as I was concerned

menefreghista
01-28-2011, 09:15 AM
One of my personal favorites that would make sense from a marketing perspective for TFC: Rickard's Red

Good choice.

Definitely one of the better beers made my a large corporate mega-beer company.

I agree with those saying we shouldn't be making fun of the Whitecaps for getting Bud. Not while we have Carlsberg, one of the classic over-rated European beers made popular by marketing and not because its good.

DangerRed
01-28-2011, 09:39 AM

I'm shocked you'd be willing to put your name to a claim like that. Carlsberg is god-awful, just like its North American equivalent, Bud. This isn't opinion, it's fact. That's why I've opted to pregame at the Brazen Head with beers like Boddington's and Grasshopper. :drinking:

nascarguy
01-28-2011, 09:51 AM

hell yeah :drinking:

nascarguy
01-28-2011, 09:59 AM
there both shit carlsberg use to be good when it was made here now they import from over sea and it is shit and cost more

nascarguy
01-28-2011, 10:08 AM
I had this beer over the holidays. It is beer made in scotch barrels. $5 bucks a pop each at the liquor store. In BMO prices that is $20 dollars for a 330 ml bottle. Wasn't even worth the 5 bucks as far as I was concerned
I had a beer where it was 20$ each and it was made in 40 year year old scotch barrels

Milky
01-28-2011, 10:40 AM
T_Mizz, are you that guy with the carry-all in the Miller Lite commercial who goes to the bar and just orders any beer because you "don't care what it tastes like"? ;)

Petor
01-28-2011, 11:30 AM

Rickard's Red used to be made by the Capilano(sp?) brewing company out in BC. Then a few years back Molson's bought them and the beer hasn't been the same since.

I'd rather have something from the Flying Monkeys.
Tasty beer, catchy names. :)
http://www.ontariocraftbrewers.com/brewery.php?brewery=robertsimpson

Derko
01-28-2011, 11:34 AM
For the unenlightened masses whom drink North American Big Brewery Soda Pop, which a majority of the beers are brewed from 'Rice'

I happen to like The Original Budweiser:
The original Budweiser Bier or Budweiser Bürgerbräu was founded in 1785 in Budweis, Bohemia, Holy Roman Empire.
As such, Budvar is sold within the United States and Canada under the label Czechvar.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Shitecaps are going to have it available at thier home games!!

Wull
01-28-2011, 11:36 AM
I'd rather have Bud than carlsberg, at least Bud didn't have their name on the shite's jerseys (until now)

Derko
01-28-2011, 11:38 AM
there both shit carlsberg use to be good when it was made here now they import from over sea and it is shit and cost more

Go for the Tetley's, and it is only 3.4%, Carlsberg was shit when it was made here, the import is far superior, don't get it mixed up with the draft shit at BMO, just my opinion
:drinking:

Parkdale
01-28-2011, 01:19 PM

you mean Molson Canadian with red food coloring in it?

Derko
01-28-2011, 01:31 PM
I had a beer where it was 20$ each and it was made in 40 year year old scotch barrels
I had that too at Christmas, Harvieston Ola Dubh 30 yearold cask, It was fantastic :drinking:

Derko
01-28-2011, 01:34 PM
This is an excellent Beer thread

Gazza
01-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Carlsberg is basically European Budweiser. Neither beer is very good.

- Scott

Mill St. were in talks with MLSE in '07 but missed the boat due to nickle and diming.

I'm not much of a Mill St. fan but the product placement alone would've been worth a bundle to them. Not to mention fans would have a torontonian alternative.

SuperTCP
01-28-2011, 01:55 PM
kokanee is a labatt product...and local...
why didn't they go with that?

Kakanee is just as bad as Bud. They should of went with their local Granville Island brew.

Hopefully with Winter at BMO we can get some Orangeboom stocked.

Yohan
01-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Kakanee is just as bad as Bud. They should of went with their local Granville Island brew.

YES! Granville Island IPA is my favourite beer. I wish they had that in Toronto

Vindaloo
01-28-2011, 03:37 PM
The Budweiser/Inbev deal brings money to the Whitecaps from the largest beer company in the world, which can be translated into possibly making the club more successful in terms of; on-pitch success(better players), bigger marketing(more fans). Surely that's more important than if you like crap lager or not, which tastes the same as every other mass produced lager in North America.

Besides they're probably going to have more of a selection than just Bud as Inbev also owns Labatt, Kokanee, Alexander Keiths, Boddingtons, Leffe, Stella, Bass. It's absolutely foolish to think this isn't a good deal for the Caps. You wouldn't get the same money and marketing experience from a local small brewery.

Derko
01-28-2011, 03:42 PM
YES! Granville Island IPA is my favourite beer. I wish they had that in Toronto

Yes, when visiting relatives on the Island, I pick up the Granville mix box with 4 different ones, Lager, Pale Ale, Maple Cream Ale, and Honey Lager, yummie

Callum
01-28-2011, 04:26 PM

Hopefully with Winter at BMO we can get some Orangeboom stocked.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, let me point out that the only Granville Island beer still brewed in Vancouver is the (usually) excellent Limited Release Series. Most of their product is now produced nearly 400 km away in Kelowna.

If they'd wanted to keep it local, the Whitecaps should have made a deal with BC Place's former supplier, Russell Brewing in Surrey. I'm sure, however, that they were unable to compete with AB Inbev's offer.

Other Vancouver alternatives, could have been Russell's Surrey neighbours, Central City (the Canadian Brewing Award's 2010 Brewery of the Year), R&B, or Storm. Vancouver Island also has some of the best (in my opinion at least) beer in the country from places like Phillips, and my favourite, Driftwood. Unfortunately, none of these have the capacity, nor perhaps the desire to supply BC Place on a regular basis.

The only (pseudo) local brewery that could have competed with AB Inbev's dollars would have been Molson-Coors (who, by the way, own Granville Island Brewing). I only mention them because they have a brewery right across False Creek from BC Place.

But, as someone pointed out, this is about money, and no global brewing company has more than AB Inbev. So, at least the Whitecaps should be pulling in a good chunk of change from this five year deal. And, as someone else pointed out, BC Place will probably provide patrons with at least some other beer options from AB Inbev's dozen or so global brands.

Huyton
01-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Rickards RED

Huyton
01-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Hey...if we're looking for a local beer that Winter might like...get the Amsterdam beers in.

jimiv
01-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Go for the Tetley's, and it is only 3.4%, Carlsberg was shit when it was made here, the import is far superior, don't get it mixed up with the draft shit at BMO, just my opinion

I think Carlsburg was great when Carling brewed it, in fact it was my favourite beer, then Labatt's took over the brand and it went to shit.

The imported Carlsburg is quite good and your right the the draft version at BMO doesn't taste right.

I'll just stick to drinking before I go to the game and save my $$$.
:D

Blowing Bubbles
01-30-2011, 02:37 PM
who gives a shit? this is all about the $$$$

Until we have good beer at BMO i don't see where our soapbox is.

Derko
01-30-2011, 05:44 PM
who gives a shit? this is all about the $$$$

Until we have good beer at BMO i don't see where our soapbox is.

Aw don't be spoilsport :drinking:

Azerban
01-30-2011, 06:20 PM
you mean Molson Canadian with red food coloring in it?

die in a fire

Brooker
01-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Whatever happend to Micks Red? The bar I drink at replaced it with Rickards (piss) and I've never seen it since.

Azerban
01-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Whatever happend to Micks Red? The bar I drink at replaced it with Rickards (piss) and I've never seen it since.

you too

Batman
01-31-2011, 07:53 AM
My son in law Mike, is now with Muskoka Brewery. Some of you will remember him from Camerons and Brick over the last few years.

Muskoka has made a large push into the GTA market the last few years.

Their Pale Ale has on a number of national awards. I'm a fan of their lager.
They also have come out with a seasonal Chocolate Stout that is pretty special.

All products come in tallboy cans, except the stout. It comes in quart bottles.

All their products are at LCBO. A few select ones are at beer stores.

Brooker
01-31-2011, 08:08 AM
you too

only if you start it. im lazy.

jvanpeebles
01-31-2011, 08:55 AM
oranjeboom-now you are talking! One of the finest dutch beers

jvanpeebles
01-31-2011, 08:57 AM
[quote=Batman;1214053]My son in law Mike, is now with Muskoka Brewery. Some of you will remember him from Camerons and Brick over the last few years.

Muskoka is a pretty good beer that I was drinking a fair amount off. However they went to cans only and made themselves a premium beer and removed themsleves from the cheaper market. Lost my business.

SuperTCP
01-31-2011, 09:59 AM
I think Carlsburg was great when Carling brewed it, in fact it was my favourite beer, then Labatt's took over the brand and it went to shit.

The imported Carlsburg is quite good and your right the the draft version at BMO doesn't taste right.

I'll just stick to drinking before I go to the game and save my $$$.
:D

Thanks for the tips guys. I thought somthing was up, as I used to like Carlsburg too, but recently I cannot stand it. Now I know why.

bee dubya
01-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Interesting tidbit from the Vancouver Sun. It seems that the Whitecaps owe their colours to Labatt's sponsorship...

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Long+history+with+Labatt+includes+Whitecaps+turnin g+blue/4189343/story.html

TorontoGooner
02-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Yeah brother! I work for 'em!! :drinking:

Batman
02-01-2011, 10:00 PM
[quote=Batman;1214053]My son in law Mike, is now with Muskoka Brewery. Some of you will remember him from Camerons and Brick over the last few years.

[quote=jvanpeebles;1214080]

Muskoka is a pretty good beer that I was drinking a fair amount off. However they went to cans only and made themselves a premium beer and removed themsleves from the cheaper market. Lost my business.

Ya..they're sold at a bit of a premium now.

When I look for a good beer bargain, I pick up Upper Canada. Seems to be a micro brew flavour at near buck a beer price.

Pookie
02-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Speaking of Mill Street beers, I have to say that I picked up a single can of the lemon tea beer in the summer and wasn't sure what I was in for. I'm definitely in the Innis & Gunn camp when it comes to beers. Throw in a Guinness or Kilkenny and I've got a the recipe for a great night.

This "lemon tea beer" sounded like I might be wasting my $2.60/can but as a tea drinker, I thought what the hell.

It turned into one of my favourite, poolside summer beverages. Definitely worth a taste if you haven't tried it yet.

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/36/a3/677737c04950ac69c48863148509.jpeg

Oldtimer
02-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Does beer make you smart?

Well, it made Bud wiser! :hide:

Yohan
02-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Does beer make you smart?

Well, it made Bud wiser! :hide:
oh man... that was pretty bad. lol

mdc 77
02-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Have you tried that Highland Cask version? Comes out at Christmas in the green box. 4.95 a bottle but brewed in 21 year old whiskey casks. Terrific but for the price you almost expect a pole dance to go along with it

You gotta let that stuff age a few years to truly enjoy it.

Derko
02-03-2011, 12:46 PM
To be honest, I'm a bit of a Beer Slut as far as my wife is concerned, I don't mind spending a few extra bucks and trying something new, that will likely be good on the palate. Just a word of advice from the Master Taster at the Smithwick's Brewery in Kilkenny, The big North American Brewers dont want beer to linger on your palate, because your palate will become 'bored' with the taste and you will go searching for new flavours, a little more complex, so the solution is to stay away from big North American Brews, they are what is called in the industry as 'Flavour Neutral' and we all know what that means.

Cheers to good beer and remember
http://rlv.zcache.com/ben_franklins_famous_beer_quote_poster-p228278013481419945vfdah_400.jpg

Pookie
02-03-2011, 01:27 PM
You gotta let that stuff age a few years to truly enjoy it.

Are you talking about the brewing process or after purchase?

After purchase has a best before date of Dec 2011 (for the ones I bought in November 2010).

They "mellow" in those whiskey barrels for about 2 months I believe.

mdc 77
02-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Are you talking about the brewing process or after purchase?

After purchase has a best before date of Dec 2011 (for the ones I bought in November 2010).

They "mellow" in those whiskey barrels for about 2 months I believe.

Legally they have to put the "best before" dates on, however if its 7% plus alcohol then you can let it age for a couple years at least.