PDA

View Full Version : Derby Captain Robbie Savage Turns down move to Vancouver

Technorgasm
01-24-2011, 08:46 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/d/derby_county/9359949.stm

Derby County captain Robbie Savage is to turn down an offer to join Major League Soccer side Vancouver Whitecaps. Savage, 36, would have needed to leave for Canada before the English season ends, perhaps as early as March.
Instead, he says will complete his Rams contract until the end of this season before finding another club in August - or working in the media full time.
"I'm going to stay here," he said on Twitter. "Canada was a great option but it was too big a move for my family."
While mulling his decision in recent weeks, midfielder Savage - who joined Derby in January 2008 for £1.5m and also works as a television and radio pundit - admitted he was tempted.

"They [Vancouver] are a new team in the MLS, they're moving to a new £300m stadium and they are very ambitious.

"The chance to be part of making soccer popular in America, alongside people like David Beckham and Thierry Henry, is obviously very tempting. But it is up to Derby now, and depending on what they say I will then talk to my family, and to the BBC and ESPN."

But, on Sunday, the former Welsh international revealed on his Twitter account that he aims to stay (http://twitter.com/robbiesavage8) in Britain.

"So for the first time ever I will be out of contract in the summer," he said. "I'm going to have to be my own agent!"
"It was a massive call, but I've worked hard in the media to get where I am and took good advice off people. It's the right choice."

Brooker
01-24-2011, 08:51 AM
BRRRRRRRRRR FREEZING COLD FREEZING COLD

wcoQf7ILkM0

The Derby fans are sad he isn't leaving them. :D

[NBF]
01-24-2011, 09:31 AM
FSW- The Soccer Report: They hinted that Savage and The Whitecaps, were at odds over something, but they didn't say what exactly. Probably compensation, maybe he thought all DP's were making $5 million a year.

tovan
01-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Good. He was too old to be an effective player on the pitch let alone as a DP in MLS.

I remember reading that the Whitecaps were in contact with a number of high profile players in different leagues with Savage and Keane being two of them. Negotiations were supposed to be confidential but Savage came out and spoke publicly about them. Perhaps, it had something to do with breach of confidentiality or it was simply a salary thing? I'll try to find the link.

Yohan
01-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Good. He was too old to be an effective player on the pitch let alone as a DP in MLS.

and you can say because you've watched a lot of Derby games recently?

some players age well, and still contribute to MLS

tovan
01-24-2011, 03:13 PM
No I haven't seen many Derby games recently. Have you?

I'm saying that he's too old to be the type of player MLS teams should be bringing in. He's on the wrong side of 30 and his effectiveness as a player has to be on the decline. Maybe not to the point that he can't make an impact but to the point that he that he can't be expected to perform like he could in his prime.

Angel, Beckham, Schelloto et al are close to the same age but they came to the league a few years ago when they were more capable players. They aren't as effective anymore and what they can contribute is now limited relative to before. Sure you can say that players like Giggs age well but he and a couple others are exceptions to the rule.

If Savage signed a multi-year contract with the Whitecaps he'd be close to 40 by the end of it. Add to that, playing and training on turf would take a toll on his body. It would be far more valuable for MLS teams to bring in younger, even if only by a few years, players to build around for a few years that can contribute at or close to their peak.

rocker
01-24-2011, 05:34 PM
What does Evil Bert think of this development?

Yeoman
01-24-2011, 05:44 PM
No I haven't seen many Derby games recently. Have you?

I do, and he'd do just fine in this league.

ag futbol
01-24-2011, 05:51 PM
From the sounds of things, it's questionable if Vancouver was even interested in the first place.

MLS is quickly becoming another place like UAE, where players close to their last contract pretend to have interest to raise their value with their intended signing target.

tovan
01-24-2011, 06:44 PM
I do, and he'd do just fine in this league.

Even if that's the case, age is still a factor working against him. MLS shouldn't be Europe's retirement league, it should be bringing in younger players or developing them from within.

Yohan
01-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Even if that's the case, age is still a factor working against him. MLS shouldn't be Europe's retirement league, it should be bringing in younger players or developing them from within.
its only a retirement league if a player comes to MLS to collect a paycheck, and does nothing

if a player is good enough, and able to still play in MLS and contribute, why would his age matter?

best example, Shitlicker. came over to MLS when he was 35-36. proved to be one of the better players in last 3 years

in fact, it may be that some of the 'younger' famous names turned out to suck. example, Luis Landin, Nery Castillo. Freddie Ljungberg to a degree. Mista. etc

Yeoman
01-24-2011, 08:32 PM
while i will not contest to the fact that even at this level, he'd only have one maybe two years left in him
but you know what you'd get? you'd get a defensive midfielder, that can always push forward quite well suprisingly and he wouldn't just be a face. while most people at derby go bonkers about how much he's in the media, i think it would be great for the first year in the MLS for the whitecaps.
sure he's notorious for yellows, but alot of them over the last few years, have been rather questionable and were give more on his reputation than things he's truly deserved.

tovan
01-24-2011, 08:42 PM
All I'm saying is that money could be better spent.

There is an inherent risk when signing a player, any player. Despite past playing experience and/or their abilities, they could be a flop regardless of age.

It's not that Savage would be a complete disaster on the pitch or that ageing players can't contribute. Considering the cost, age, and length of career ahead of a player, expansion teams would be better served by having a younger player such as Jay Demerit anchor the team the club for more than a year or two, not a player who is nearing the end of his playing days like Savage.

By retirement league, I mean to say this is the last stop for some players before retirement (ie. Henry, Beckham, Angel, etc). I didn't suggest that they would coast and not contribute anything at all.

Anyways, Savage decided against coming to MLS, end of story.

tovan
01-24-2011, 08:44 PM
What does Evil Bert think of this development?

he immediately went upstairs to tell his mom about it.

Technorgasm
01-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Can zomsone explain this evil Bert thing to me?
Either I lost the knowledge through one of my blackouts. . . or I just plain missed something. .

thanks.

rocker
01-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Can zomsone explain this evil Bert thing to me?
Either I lost the knowledge through one of my blackouts. . . or I just plain missed something. .

thanks.

enjoy:

_Y9VzvTaf50