PDA

View Full Version : NASL sanctioning withdrawn

jloome
01-22-2011, 01:58 AM
Guess Edmonton and Montreal are looking for somewhere to play this year.

Two-team v.cup?

Redcoe15
01-22-2011, 03:28 AM
I'd be more concerned about Edmonton than Montreal. At least we know where the L'impact will be playing next year.

Keystone FC
01-22-2011, 03:56 AM
Guess Edmonton and Montreal are looking for somewhere to play this year.

Two-team v.cup?
Maybe not. The NASL will play with the clubs they have so there still is a league, it's just not a Div. II league. Also, the CSA could step up and grant Edmonton FC and the Impact Div. II club status for the purpose of the V Cup competition. Just because the USSF backed out of the Div. II sanctioning doesn't mean the CSA has to as well.

jloome
01-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Maybe not. The NASL will play with the clubs they have so there still is a league, it's just not a Div. II league. Also, the CSA could step up and grant Edmonton FC and the Impact Div. II club status for the purpose of the V Cup competition. Just because the USSF backed out of the Div. II sanctioning doesn't mean the CSA has to as well.

But American teams can't play sanctioned events with USSF support, so there isn't a league.

And it's very doubtful the CSA would give Div.2 status to an exhibition club. Too many bad precedents involved.

Nope, NASL will either have to come up with a major revision in ownership and franchise structures in short order or they're hooped for this year.

Red CB Toronto
01-24-2011, 12:39 PM
But American teams can't play sanctioned events with USSF support, so there isn't a league.

And it's very doubtful the CSA would give Div.2 status to an exhibition club. Too many bad precedents involved.

Nope, NASL will either have to come up with a major revision in ownership and franchise structures in short order or they're hooped for this year.

I have been involved in pro sport for quite a few years and have never understood why in sports when it comes to starting up a league that in soccer you need the blessing of the national association ie USSF and/or CSA.

In any other sport the most important thing you need is money, bring in a few partners, with that you pick your cities, hopefully negotiate a few arena/stadium leases, hire a front office, sign some players and their you go. Some of this ventures being hockey, baseball, basketball, football or whatever else you may think have been quite successful and others have crashed and burned in a very fly by night type of way. But USA Hockey, Basketball, etc and their counterparts on our side of the boarder play no part in these ventures in any way, so why in soccer is sanctioning important from your respective national body.

Whoop
01-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Umm, I know hockey teams/leagues in Canada still fall under the jurisdiction of Hockey Canada as Hockey Canada falls under the jurisdiction of the IIHF, especially when it involves player movement.

I can't speak for the NFL, NBA or MLB and it's minor leagues.

Roogsy
01-24-2011, 12:46 PM
I am not familiar with FIFA governance issues so can someone explain to me why exactly USSF did not sanction NASL this year? What changed from year to year?

Carts
01-24-2011, 12:53 PM
I am not familiar with FIFA governance issues so can someone explain to me why exactly USSF did not sanction NASL this year? What changed from year to year?

The clubs probably didn't have the money to properly buy off the FIFA or USSF board members...

Isn't that how all FIFA items work...?

Carts... :D

Roogsy
01-24-2011, 12:53 PM
:lol:

Touché...

Ossington Mental Youth
01-24-2011, 12:56 PM
so frustrating and i really hope its a temporary thing as it throws back soccer in NA a decade or so. outside of not being able to afford payoffs i fail to undertsand why they would do this

Red CB Toronto
01-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Umm, I know hockey teams/leagues in Canada still fall under the jurisdiction of Hockey Canada as Hockey Canada falls under the jurisdiction of the IIHF, especially when it involves player movement.

I can't speak for the NFL, NBA or MLB and it's minor leagues.

I get that, but low tier minor pro hockey leagues always pop up like the Federal League or in Quebec the legendary North American League which is fight central, their is nothing to stop someone from starting one of the low rung things up, regardless if its good for the game or not.

KezmanCCCC
01-24-2011, 01:05 PM
where does it say this

jloome
01-24-2011, 05:03 PM
where does it say this

It's on the NASL site now, was confirmed last week by Brian Quarstead at Inside Minnesota Soccer.

TOBOR !
01-25-2011, 11:34 AM
What's to stop the CSA sanctioning the entire league as a Div. 2 of the CSL (or something) ?

US leagues have Candian entities as a matter of routine, and Canadian leagues have had US presence. This could be a similar scenario.

Damien
01-25-2011, 02:27 PM
It would be good experience for the rest of the CSL to play against Edmonton and Montreal for the time being. I say bring them in.

TFCRegina
01-25-2011, 02:31 PM
It would be good experience for the rest of the CSL to play against Edmonton and Montreal for the time being. I say bring them in.

Edmonton wouldn't last the season and would go belly up at the cost.

Neither would any other team that had to travel to get there.

Montreal could do it...