PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, so I'm talking to Steven Beattie via Facebook

Cashcleaner
01-21-2011, 05:52 PM
I really gotta tell you guys how over the moon this guy is to play for Toronto. He sent me some links as well that you guys may want to check out.

1st and 2nd goals just past 1:15 and the 3rd just past 1:55:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLVa1aTNYJM

Here's another one with him scroing just past 1:45 (after the short interview):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9HmV50hkX8&feature=related

Gotta tell you, I really like Beattie's attitude toward playing in Toronto. The guy has a lot of respect for the fans.

CretanBull
01-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Let him know how easy it is to become a fan favourite here...just pander to us :D

sully
01-21-2011, 06:07 PM
I didn't realise he is Irish... Ronnie O #2

Cashcleaner
01-21-2011, 06:27 PM
^ And I'm completely okay with that. :thumbsup:

Waggy
01-21-2011, 06:33 PM
That third goal is CLASS. Love the patience/confidence. And ya, I follow him on twitter- super excited to have him

Pigfynn
01-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Nothing wrong with a little pandering. Hell, some of our current players could take a page out of Beattie and Omphroy's book. A little vocal appreciation goes a long way.

CretanBull
01-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Nothing wrong with a little pandering. Hell, some of our current players could take a page out of Beattie and Omphroy's book. A little vocal appreciation goes a long way.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I really meant it!

Pigfynn
01-21-2011, 06:56 PM
I know. :)

I was just saying in general.

Detroit_TFC
01-21-2011, 07:04 PM
No kidding. We are a cheap date. :)

but can be prone to acting out if we get pissed off.

Cashcleaner
01-21-2011, 07:36 PM
^ Speaking of cheap dates, Beattie mentioned he'd be in Toronto as soon as Monday and was hoping some fans might drop by and join him for some drinks in town. Not sure yet of a time and place, but I suspect he'll tweet it and/or post it on Facebook.

Yohan
01-21-2011, 08:21 PM
jeez. we're so easy to suck up to... and this guy doesn't even have a contract yet! (love the guy's enthusiasm though)

Batman
01-21-2011, 08:42 PM
^ Speaking of cheap dates, Beattie mentioned he'd be in Toronto as soon as Monday and was hoping some fans might drop by and join him for some drinks in town. Not sure yet of a time and place, but I suspect he'll tweet it and/or post it on Facebook.

tell him to focus on getting the job.... then, if he does, let him pick up the tab.

Oldtimer
01-21-2011, 10:04 PM
The kid shows poise and control in front of the goal -- I like that.
He'll have less time to do things in MLS due to its faster speed, though. It will be interesting to see if he can adjust (I guess if he can't, he won't be signed).

jloome
01-21-2011, 10:11 PM
The kid shows poise and control in front of the goal -- I like that.
He'll have less time to do things in MLS due to its faster speed, though. It will be interesting to see if he can adjust (I guess if he can't, he won't be signed).

Fucking tell him that when he invites people for drinks. Don't get all polite and starstruck, f'ing tell the guy: intensity is everything at the next level. Let up for a f'ing second or take anything for granted and you're DONE.

ManUtd4ever
01-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Gotta love the attitude of these kids that were drafted. It seems like T.O. has some positive vibes in the NCAA...

Oldtimer
01-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Fucking tell him that when he invites people for drinks. Don't get all polite and starstruck, f'ing tell the guy: intensity is everything at the next level. Let up for a f'ing second or take anything for granted and you're DONE.

I get where you're coming from. It's almost like he think's he's "made it" while all he's really just landed is a job interview. Perhaps that's the best thing to tell him: "you've got the interview, not the job."

He's a kid. He's on the first steps of living the dream, plus it's Toronto and not some ditch like Columbus. It's understandable.

Don't worry, his dreaming will come to an abrupt dream about January 25th, when he reports to the club. No way Winter, Mariner and co. are going to be easy on any of these guys. He'll realize how extremely difficult it is to be a professional footballer, compared to the NCAA, and that a professional needs to prove himself every minute of every game, or he's no longer a professional (c.f. Rohan Ricketts).

Ron Manager
01-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Good luck to him. I hope he does well with us for a long time.