PDA

View Full Version : MLS treble

__wowza
01-21-2011, 11:49 AM
had a thought recently about what could be considered the "MLS treble".
normally, the way it goes is:

- domestic league (MLS cup or supporters shield?)
- domestic cup (MLS cup or voyagers cup?)
- continental cup (concacaf champions league)

to the best of my wiki-knowledge, only one north american team has won "the treble", that was defence force back in '85. i think the main inclusion in all of this (supporters shield/mls cup/voyagers cup/superligaetc are all somewhat swappable) is the concacaf champions league victory.

just wanted to open up a discussion as to what you think constitutes the treble for toronto FC in the MLS. you know..

:scarf: :drum: to give us something to work towards:flare::scarf:

TFCRegina
01-21-2011, 11:51 AM
had a thought recently about what could be considered the "MLS treble".
normally, the way it goes is:

- domestic league (MLS cup or supporters shield?)
- domestic cup (MLS cup or voyagers cup?)
- continental cup (concacaf champions league)

to the best of my wiki-knowledge, only one north american team has won "the treble", that was defence force back in '85. i think the main inclusion in all of this (supporters shield/mls cup/voyagers cup/superligaetc are all somewhat swappable) is the concacaf champions league victory.

just wanted to open up a discussion as to what you think constitutes the treble for toronto FC in the MLS. you know..

:scarf: :drum: to give us something to work towards:flare::scarf:

Domestic League
Supporters Shield
DOmestic Cup
Continental Cup

I guess it's more of a Quartet than a treble. :)

Damien
01-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Don't forget about SuperLiga...

TFCRegina
01-21-2011, 11:56 AM

SuperLiga, however, is a tournament which is a second place finishers cup. In winning it, you'd have to be ineligible for the CONCACAF Champions League, which means you can't have won the V Cup or US Open Cup, or the League through the MLS Cup or Supporters' Shield.

__wowza
01-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Domestic League
Supporters Shield
Domestic Cup
Continental Cup

I guess it's more of a Quartet than a treble. :)

i was under the impression that "winning the league" (a la supporters shield) could swap out for the domestic cup (the MLS cup).

there's too many fucking cups in this league!!

mastermixer
01-21-2011, 12:10 PM

I read somewhere recently that they are getting rid of the SuperLiga this year to make room for the larger schedule.

Yohan
01-21-2011, 12:11 PM
i was under the impression that "winning the league" (a la supporters shield) could swap out for the domestic cup (the MLS cup).

there's too many fucking cups in this league!!
not really... just look at England...

MartinUtd
01-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Superliga
Trillium cup
Carlsberg cup

Milky
01-21-2011, 12:24 PM
I think MartinUtd is on to something.

How about:

Trillium Cup
FC Cup (I think that's between us and any other club with an "FC" in their name)
Carlsberg Cup

There, a true MLS Mickey-Mouse Treble! :D

__wowza
01-21-2011, 12:41 PM
carlsberg cup
trillium cup (assuming we beat the crew)
and this..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Walt_Disney_World_Pro_Soccer_Classic
THIS is the mickey mouse treble!!

DangerRed
01-21-2011, 01:12 PM
How about we make the MLS playoffs or get out of the CONCACAF group stages first before we start talking about trebles for TFC?

And you better believe winning the Voyageurs Cup a third year in a row will be hard fought. Vancouver is scaring the shit out of me these days..

Oldtimer
01-21-2011, 01:12 PM
I read somewhere recently that they are getting rid of the SuperLiga this year to make room for the larger schedule.

Some people called for that, but Soccer United Marketing has not announced any such thing so far.

Sullivan
01-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Right of the top:
Nutrilite Canadian Championship;
MLS Supporter's Shield (League); and
Philip F. Anschutz Trophy (MLS Cup - playoffs).

After some thought:
Any two of the above, plus:
CONCACAF Champions League Cup.

Reaching:
Any combination of the above, plus:
Carolina Challenge Cup (Charleston pre-season tournament) and, or;
Walt Disney World Pro Soccer Classic.

Unworthy of consideration:
Trillium & Carlsberg Cups - between 2 teams, why bother!

Yohan
01-21-2011, 01:42 PM
So, speaking of worthless cups, is Vancouver vs Mtl going to have one too?

__wowza
01-21-2011, 01:50 PM
How about we make the MLS playoffs or get out of the CONCACAF group stages first before we start talking about trebles for TFC?

haha, my last statement was made in jest. sersiously.. you HAD to have known that. i was just wondering this in general for any MLS team (replace the voyagers cup with the US open).

Fort York Redcoat
01-21-2011, 02:01 PM

Forget about Superliga. Most have already.

Damien
01-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Hopefully Copa Libertadores invites the MLS soon (which is apparently already in discussion)

Fort York Redcoat
01-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Hopefully Copa Libertadores invites the MLS soon (which is apparently already in discussion)

F that. Different region. Different rates of growth.

I can Deal with it.

ensco
01-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Beating Columbus, Montreal and Vancouver in the same season?

DangerRed
01-21-2011, 02:54 PM
haha, my last statement was made in jest. sersiously.. you HAD to have known that. i was just wondering this in general for any MLS team (replace the voyagers cup with the US open).

Sure, replace it. I'd wager most MLS teams are playing for the playoffs first and foremost. The US Open is an afterthought (unless, of course, you're the guy hoisting it :))

__wowza
01-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Beating Columbus, Montreal and Vancouver in the same season?

if this happens, i'll buy a cup myself and mail it to them.
what would we name it?

pekduck
01-21-2011, 03:37 PM
if this happens, i'll buy a cup myself and mail it to them.
what would we name it?

Cup of Dignity

Damien
01-21-2011, 04:13 PM
F that. Different region. Different rates of growth.

I can Deal with it.

Too bad! it's already in discussion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Nicholas982
01-21-2011, 04:24 PM

They should bury that tournament. We should be promoting the Champions League, and build that up as the region's premier soccer championship. The Superliga is currently stepping on its toes.

MLS Supporters Shield
MLS Cup
CONCACAF Cup

THAT'S the treble. :hump:

Lennon
01-21-2011, 06:25 PM

This would be huge for MLS if it happens. This league won't grow playing the likes of Isidro Metapan and Arabe Unido.

Cashcleaner
01-21-2011, 06:33 PM
They should bury that tournament. We should be promoting the Champions League, and build that up as the region's premier soccer championship. The Superliga is currently stepping on its toes.

MLS Supporters Shield
MLS Cup
CONCACAF Cup

THAT'S the treble. :hump:

Agreed on both points.

I know that TFC is in a bit of an weird position with regards to our status with the league, but the NCC doesn't really "fit" into people's perception of things and it should be looked at more as a stepping stone to the CONCACAF Champions League.

Still an incredibly important tourney in my mind, though.

Nicholas982
01-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Agreed on both points.

I know that TFC is in a bit of an weird position with regards to our status with the league, but the NCC doesn't really "fit" into people's perception of things and it should be looked at more as a stepping stone to the CONCACAF Champions League.

Still an incredibly important tourney in my mind, though.

Yeah, Nutrilite is just the doorman regulating entry into the CL. It's a preliminary step, not the be-all-end-all, in my eyes. If we're going to count the Nutrilite as part of the treble (or quadruple, if that was the case) then why not the Trillium or the Carlsberg? It's a slippery slope.

Look at EPL clubs. They consider themselves as having won the treble if they finish their regular season in the EPL on top of the league table (MLS Supporters Shield equivalent), win the FA cup (MLS Cup equivalent, knockout playoff format) and win the CL. I don`t see why it shouldn`t be the same for us.

Oldtimer
01-21-2011, 09:54 PM
^ agreed.

Azerban
01-23-2011, 11:03 PM
a treble is 3 trophies

if this

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3977/5845large.jpg

is a treble, then p. much anything is a treble

Brooker
01-23-2011, 11:47 PM

TFC treble:

Find a winger
Beat Columbus
Make the Playoffs

Fort York Redcoat
01-24-2011, 09:37 AM
a treble is 3 trophies

if this

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3977/5845large.jpg

is a treble, then p. much anything is a treble

Agreed. By right one can call any three trophies a treble but let's not piss on the Worthington's Cup. It's not the biggest trophy but the League cup has been around twice as long as our league.

Frick
01-24-2011, 11:57 AM
I think most teams and fans would be quite happy with a domestic treble:

League (EPL/MLS Supports Sheild)
League Cup (Carling Cup/MLS Cup)
Open Cup (FA Cup/US Open Cup/Voyagers Cup)

KezmanCCCC
01-24-2011, 01:01 PM
the treble would have to be classified as:

For a US MLS club - MLS cup, U.S. open cup, and concacaf champions leauge

For a Canadian MLS club - MLS cup, NCC, and concacaf champions leauge

i dont think the supporters sheild is relevent in the treble because in the MLS as we all know your not the champion untill you win the playoffs....

ensco
01-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Beat Columbus twice, and score a goal from distance in the run of play, all in the same season?