PDA

View Full Version : If anything the Reds will be living it up in luxury during their stay in Turkey!!!

Red CB Toronto
01-21-2011, 06:25 AM
Well if anything when the Reds make their way overseas for their first part of training camp in Turkey, they will be living it up in luxury. The Reds newest fan favourite and 20011 draft pick Demitrius Omphroy tweeted a link for the resort they will be staying at, the Caslista Luxury Resort. It looks like their really tailor to footy squad looking to having a training camp during their winter months with some first class facilities.

http://twitter.com/MeatyTwit/status/28273580663902208 (http://twitter.com/MeatyTwit/status/28273580663902208)

http://www.calista.com.tr/

Resort's page on their soccer facilities

http://www.calista.com.tr/?inc=6&ID=16

Fort York Redcoat
01-21-2011, 07:48 AM
Interesting info but not half as interesting as if these games will be carried anywhere.

Carolina Cup is usually at least streamed and this Turkey tourney has way bigger teams involved.

Red CB Toronto
01-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Interesting info but not half as interesting as if these games will be carried anywhere.

Carolina Cup is usually at least streamed and this Turkey tourney has way bigger teams involved.

I wonder, in this day and age, setting up a simple webcam is not the hardest thing to do for a straight stream.

Oldtimer
01-21-2011, 08:08 AM
^^ You can't say that ML$E is unwilling to spend to try to win.

"Try" is the operative word here.

... and wow, what a nice resort.

Ageroo
01-21-2011, 08:34 AM
The more I am reading about Omphroy, the more I like him....was just reading his twitter...the guy's a character and seems really pumped to be coming to Toronto.

ManUtd4ever
01-21-2011, 08:46 AM
The more I am reading about Omphroy, the more I like him....was just reading his twitter...the guy's a character and seems really pumped to be coming to Toronto.

Agreed, and hopefully his enthusiasm will carry over onto the pitch...

Joe Kool
01-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Agreed, and hopefully his enthusiasm will carry over onto the pitch...

Yeah, I'd hate to see him think he made it already with all the hoopla going on in the media and attention from fans. He needs to keep his foot on the gas from a training perspective. Hope he has someone grounding him.

BeerBaron95
01-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Luxury resorts mean dick all if the product sux.. lets not lose sight of that.

yeah MLSE is spending money but will it equals wins?? maybe spend the money on players and our own facilities!

Suds
01-21-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm more surprised a resort has built soccer training facilities like that. Who knew there was money in that?? :noidea:

Yohan
01-21-2011, 09:11 AM
or could be another Rohan Ricketts in making. lol

Batman
01-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Luxury resorts mean dick all if the product sux.. lets not lose sight of that.

yeah MLSE is spending money but will it equals wins?? maybe spend the money on players and our own facilities!

you don't think their doing that?

17 mill budgeted for training facility, many players yet to come.

Naturally, you'd have to believe all of this will happen, but I certainly do.

The fact that they're staying at a decent place doesn't mean they aren't going to have a decent training facility or sign other players.

Nodoubtguy
01-21-2011, 09:28 AM
I'm more surprised a resort has built soccer training facilities like that. Who knew there was money in that?? :noidea:

Looks like they've had a ton of teams train there over the last 2 seasons

Ageroo
01-21-2011, 09:44 AM

This city is gonna swallow this kid up.....ha ha

Red CB Toronto
01-21-2011, 09:46 AM
This city is gonna swallow this kid up.....ha ha

This is a kid who is completely grounded, knowing what is important in life looking to make the most of it, nothing to worry about here.

poppamidnight
01-21-2011, 09:49 AM

Rohan's ish is the fact he's had 'Amateur' advice in his varied digital ventures.

I facepalm :picard: alot of the time I see his stuff, as it seems like 'high-school-quality'....
In fact alot of the stuff Rohan put up remind me of various people I knew growing up that got this 'life-changing/motivational info' - turned out to be pyramid-scheme esque

Here's what im excited about with Omphroy's digital presence:

he's Grown up with it (social media - therefore has a more clear understanding of it that Rohan doesn't), and seems to actually have a knack for the creative

I actually look forward to following him this ENTIRE year - something I stopped doing re: Rohan about 2-3 weeks in

\end rant

C.Ronaldo
01-21-2011, 10:19 AM
this kid just wants to play and enjoy life, I have no problem with work hard play hard.

If you have been put in the situation where you think your last days are upon you, you would change the way you see life to.

Everyday is a special day

Yohan
01-21-2011, 10:29 AM
this kid just wants to play and enjoy life, I have no problem with work hard play hard.

If you have been put in the situation where you think your last days are upon you, you would change the way you see life to.

Everyday is a special day
+1

never take anything for granted

reggie
01-21-2011, 10:34 AM
ives was saying that he has got the skill set to start at right back...lets hope.

TFCwestcan
01-21-2011, 12:20 PM
It's going to make hitting those holiday Inns a bit tougher during the reg season after this place, the area looks really wonderful.

BFin
01-21-2011, 02:47 PM
This is a kid who is completely grounded, knowing what is important in life looking to make the most of it, nothing to worry about here.

Just to stir the pot...how can you possibly know this?

Roogsy
01-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Just to stir the pot...how can you possibly know this?

Twitter is the ultimate knowledge resource of all-time!

phonzo
01-21-2011, 03:26 PM
I dunno I mean his twitter name is MeatyTwit...my first thought was some sort of gay twitter account but proven wrong.

BFin
01-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Twitter is the ultimate knowledge resource of all-time!

HAH! I feel like I need to get to know you better Roogs. To the twitter account!

Edit: I have investigated Roogsy's twitter account. I can now safely say he is a great guy, that likes to keep his life simple. He is down to earth and always has time for the less fortunate. At the tender age of 3 roogs kicked his first soccer ball and fell in love with the sport ever since. Roogsy is currently employed by Dero Entertainment as a PR consultant.

God I love twitter.

BFin
01-21-2011, 03:27 PM
I dunno I mean his twitter name is MeatyTwit...my first thought was some sort of gay twitter account but proven wrong.

He just did that to stay grounded.

phonzo
01-21-2011, 03:36 PM
just checked out BFin on twitter..and there was a lot of content to sift through because he is a very grounded and opinionated individual. He articulates well even when limited to 140 characters.

He seems to have a desire to take his educated and grounded views on sports to a higher level and Twitter is but a mere pedestal for him to preach from. It is also obvious that he enjoys soft rock, long walks, and cats.

BFin
01-21-2011, 03:39 PM
God damn you twitter. No one was supposed to know about the soft rock.

boban
01-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Maybe not. You only know of him about a weeks or so .. and save for a few tweets and quotes from an article you really know jack about him, his character etc.

boban
01-21-2011, 05:54 PM
How do you figure?
Taking just a second to look at his pictures one can see he has issues he hasn't dealt with.

werewolf
01-21-2011, 06:03 PM

There are facilities like that all over Europe, especially in warm-weather areas that attract off-season camps. Thousands of pro-teams, and youth teams across the continent, plus national teams. Not cheap to stay there.

J .
01-21-2011, 08:42 PM
I just want this team of clowns to win.

Omphroy is positioning himself to be Rohan redux. How he is a new fan favourite is beyond me, he has played zero minutes in a reds uniform. A few twitters and a youtube video gets you fan fav status now? How low have we sunk?

boban
01-21-2011, 08:52 PM

Omphroy is positioning himself to be Rohan redux. How he is a new fan favourite is beyond me, he has played zero minutes in a reds uniform. A few twitters and a youtube video gets you fan fav status now? How low have we sunk?:thumbsup:

Oldtimer
01-21-2011, 09:50 PM
^ I wouldn't say he's a fan favourite (at least not yet). People are just glad whenever any pro player in any sport actually wants to be here.

Suds
01-21-2011, 09:59 PM

Omphroy is positioning himself to be Rohan redux. How he is a new fan favourite is beyond me, he has played zero minutes in a reds uniform. A few twitters and a youtube video gets you fan fav status now? How low have we sunk?

One thread with less than 50 posts is hardly a statement from the other 18,000 or so SSH's he's the fan favorite.

I guess I could just use a few posts to ask why everyone hates him already and akin to Rohan Ricketts??? (and of course no one has said they hate ... but he hasn't been named a fan favorite either)

BFin
01-21-2011, 10:28 PM
How do you figure?
Taking just a second to look at his pictures one can see he has issues he hasn't dealt with.

Not to double quote you but:

"Maybe not. You only know of him about a weeks or so .. and save for a few tweets and quotes from an article you really know jack about him, his character etc."

boban
01-22-2011, 12:54 AM
Not to double quote you but:

"Maybe not. You only know of him about a weeks or so .. and save for a few tweets and quotes from an article you really know jack about him, his character etc."
I don't know. But his pictures give insight into him. What? Who knows, but he ain't grounded.

phonzo
01-22-2011, 02:12 AM
I don't know. But his pictures give insight into him. What? Who knows, but he ain't grounded.

meattwit still proves my point....but more importantly i could give a flying fuck about him until I see him play.

Now back to commentating on the meattwit name.

Waggy
01-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Wow, every single post in this thread save 1 or 2 is why I avoid most offseason threads. Way to kill all fun and optimism guys, seriously. This thread is everything thats wrong with Toronto sports rolled into one page and a half capsule.

You're talking about a 19 year old who's yet to even have his first pro practice and who has said every right thing so far like he's a headcase/cancer/leper because he has the audacity to recognize that he got drafted to a good franchise/market with good fans. Apparently if he was saying the wrong things, didn't use twitter or facebook to talk to people or wasnt excited about getting drafted to one of the 2 or 3 best markets in MLS he'd be able to survive in this city. But no, since he's got rudimentary social skills and a basic knowledge of MLS cities and fan bases, BOOM, done, destined to fail.

Team rebuilding, going off on a cool adventure to build a team and play against good competition? BOOM getting soft, wasting money, destined to fail.

Alixir
01-22-2011, 09:08 AM
even if they were to saty at the most shnazzy hotel in the world it still doesn't change the fact they are still a shit squad. I can totally see Dero now lounged out on a patio chair with 2 half naked guys cooling him off with big feathery fans while feeding him exotic fruit.

Suds
01-22-2011, 09:46 AM
yeah, that's the spirit! let's keep every day and every thread as negative as we can on the board!
woooo hooooo!!!!

not sure if that was sarcastic enough .. maybe some emoticons would help

Batman
01-22-2011, 10:57 AM
even if they were to saty at the most shnazzy hotel in the world it still doesn't change the fact they are still a shit squad. I can totally see Dero now lounged out on a patio chair with 2 half naked guys cooling him off with big feathery fans while feeding him exotic fruit.

you sound jealous. :D

phonzo
01-22-2011, 12:16 PM
actually my commentary was more directed to those that believe by reading someones twitter feed they can figure out someones personality and make profound conclusions about their personality. My thoughts on the player are great he's excited to play..now lets see him play.

reggie
01-22-2011, 02:23 PM
why are you on here??:picard:

BFin
01-22-2011, 02:59 PM

Wow, paging the homo-erotic police. Nice day dream you're having there.

Brooker
01-22-2011, 03:02 PM

We are.....

FluSH
01-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Good for them to get some pampering before the season begins...

Alixir
01-22-2011, 04:34 PM
why are you on here??:picard:because if I wasn't nobody would use the:picard:smiley.

Heart of Stone
01-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Regardless of where they stay in Turkey they will be drinking Efes beer... really not a bad beer... $1.90 for 500ml can at L.C.B.O....

Waggy
01-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Regardless of where they stay in Turkey they will be drinking Efes beer... really not a bad beer... $1.90 for 500ml can at L.C.B.O....

Ya but Efes Pilson can blow me. Maccabi Electra all day baby! Dominated the group stage already

Oldtimer
01-22-2011, 10:29 PM
I checked the room rates for their hotel. The rack rates start at $180 euros per night. That's over $240 per night Canadian.

Pretty expensive for a country like Turkey.

Alixir
01-23-2011, 10:30 AM
I checked the room rates for their hotel. The rack rates start at $180 euros per night. That's over $240 per night Canadian.

Pretty expensive for a country like Turkey.$240 per night is actually pretty cheap in my opinion.

BFin
01-23-2011, 12:10 PM
$240 per night is actually pretty cheap in my opinion.

In the opinion of the Turkey Travel Planner, you are not correct:

Comfort Class: TL (http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/details/Money/yeni_lira.html)120 to TL (http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/details/Money/yeni_lira.html)200 staying in four-star hotels (http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/stay/index.html), dining at quite good restaurants, traveling by air (http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/trans/Air/index.html), the best trains (http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/trans/Train/index.html), and rental car (http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/trans/Car/car_rental/index.html).

That is the price (per day) for all travel expenses in Turkey.

The Turkish Lira's present Canadian Conversion rate is about .63-.64 cents per TL. Based on these cost estimates, one could travel and stay in a four star hotel for somewhere in the range of 80-125 dollars per day.

Alixir
01-23-2011, 12:45 PM
In the opinion of the Turkey Travel Planner, you are not correct
but in the opinion of someone who has travelled around the world I would say yes...in my opinion I am correct.
I am basing my opinion on my own experiences...I could care less about what a Turkish Travel agent says.

jloome
01-23-2011, 01:45 PM
but in the opinion of someone who has travelled around the world I would say yes...in my opinion I am correct.
I am basing my opinion on my own experiences...I could care less about what a Turkish Travel agent says.

And as someone who has travelled to over 100 countries over 40 years, I can tell you that a $240 per night hotel room would be in the top 15% of most expensive hotel rooms on earth, simply because the vast majority are still below $200 per night (in other words, I'm not saying they aren't easily found, just that their numbers are dwarfed.

You're quite statistically incorrect, unless the only places you visit are the largest cities on the planet.

EDIT: Statistics from over 15,000 hotels around the world, average is well under $200 for every category except five-star, which any traveller will tell you is quite a rare designation.

http://www.hotels.com/press/hotel-price-index-summer-2010.html#star_rating

James Oliphant
01-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Haha...wow. "My travel dick is bigger than your travel dick".

This is what it's come to? Really?

BFin
01-23-2011, 04:21 PM
I have never travelled to Turkey, but their Countries travel planner disagrees with you Alixir. Sorry.

Also, my regular dick is bigger than his travel dick :p jk

I just like getting the conversation stirred up a bit.

Alixir
01-23-2011, 04:24 PM
And as someone who has travelled to over 100 countries over 40 years, I can tell you that a $240 per night hotel room would be in the top 15% of most expensive hotel rooms on earth, simply because the vast majority are still below $200 per night (in other words, I'm not saying they aren't easily found, just that their numbers are dwarfed.

You're quite statistically incorrect, unless the only places you visit are the largest cities on the planet.

EDIT: Statistics from over 15,000 hotels around the world, average is well under $200 for every category except five-star, which any traveller will tell you is quite a rare designation.

http://www.hotels.com/press/hotel-price-index-summer-2010.html#star_rating did you even look at the place they are staying...for a 5 star resort hotel $240 is cheap. That is all I was saying about that resort. Of course I know that you can find hotels like "inn on the lake" which is a sheraton or some shit for like $70.

Pookie
01-23-2011, 04:36 PM
did you even look at the place they are staying...for a 5 star resort hotel $240 is cheap. That is all I was saying about that resort. Of course I know that you can find hotels like "inn on the lake" which is a sheraton or some shit for like $70.

Don't forget these guys aren't put up in single rooms, it's room share for everyone.

Well, everyone but JDG's room share. He'll likely roll in after curfew so it's not like he's there.

rocker
01-23-2011, 04:59 PM
does the price include turkish prostitutes?

Alixir
01-23-2011, 05:06 PM
does the price include turkish prostitutes? I hope so! and if so will the team let people come along for the trip.
My club in Japan had a travel deal where we the supporters could go with the team for 1 week of their 2 week training camp to Istanbul a few years back.

Oldtimer
01-23-2011, 06:21 PM
did you even look at the place they are staying...for a 5 star resort hotel $240 is cheap.

Not in Turkey, that would be normal.

In France, that would be incredibly cheap. Foe example, the Hotel Negresco in Nice, an extremely prestigious 5 star hotel that quite a few royalty have stayed at, starts at 247 euros per night.

http://www.hotel-negresco-nice.com/en

But I'd say the Turkish hotel has even the Negresco beat, overall.

FluSH
01-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Not in Turkey, that would be normal.

In France, that would be incredibly cheap. Foe example, the Hotel Negresco in Nice, an extremely prestigious 5 star hotel that quite a few royalty have stayed at, starts at 247 euros per night.

http://www.hotel-negresco-nice.com/en

But I'd say the Turkish hotel has even the Negresco beat, overall.

so what you're saying is that we should have gone to Turkey for a roadtrip!!!

FluSH
01-23-2011, 06:45 PM

This just says to me that we need someone with a POSITIVE attitude real bad... that and someone who at least will send us a tweet as a heads up if he decides to train with another team like let's say... Celtic in the offseason.

19Barrett19
01-23-2011, 07:02 PM
:scarf: I would cheer for my TFC even if they went 0-34 next season. I dont care if you hate Omphroy before you see him play. Let me tell you this you will jump on the band wagon soon than later. What will you have to say then. He's better than gargan and most like him. I have a strange feeling about this guy that he will be a fan fav. Forget the tweets ans the youtube video. He's a character that will bring unity to our team and we will sing songs in his name. You will do the lead chours hater!

Oldtimer
01-23-2011, 07:35 PM
so what you're saying is that we should have gone to Turkey for a roadtrip!!!

Naturegirl had the right idea....

billyfly
01-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Turkey training camp was Preki's idea. He pushed for this and got it (before being let go)