PDA

View Full Version : Whitecaps trialists listed

Thrillos
01-20-2011, 11:22 PM
I am not as up to speed on the comings and goings of the Whitecaps but I was recently looking at their roster and noticed that they list "in camp" players. I'm assuming these are trialists and can't help but wonder why TFC is so secretive over this.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/roster

Anyone else have some info or insight into if there is in fact a different mentality on "openess" with the Whitecaps compared to TFC. Who seem to vault every shred of info.

I mean its not just rumours that get out but we have heard journalists officially say players have joined the team or are just on trial days if not weeks before TFC mentions a thing. (Not intended to start another DeRo arguement, there is lots and lots of pages for that elsewhere, so I say leave DeRo's "saga" out of this)

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-20-2011, 11:29 PM
I noticed that as well on a visit to the Whitecaps site. I willing to wait and see what happens when TFC opens camp next week. I'm hoping they're more open with information than in the past.

oxygenatedbrain
01-21-2011, 01:57 AM
The guys they list are their draft choices, their residency players (on whom they have signing rights), and holdovers from last year still being considered. They've had more guys than that in for a look, and they've been "secretive" about them.

jloome
01-21-2011, 11:55 AM
There's a point worth noting here, which is that Vancouver has done something quite obvious in raiding the swiss league that TFC didn't cotton to in the past: pick prospects who are already succeeding in equivalent leagues.

I often wonder why we bother chasing people from England and South America when, for example, players in leagues like Romania, South Africa, Egypt and South Korea area paid similarly disparate wages as in MLS.

ag futbol
01-21-2011, 06:07 PM
^ Agreed .... but I think there are numerous regions in both areas suit that purpose.

Mo Johnston going down and watching brasileiro games and then naming a top prospect he wants to bring in as a DP is the most asinine thing I have ever heard. We should have fired him the next day!

rocker
01-21-2011, 09:10 PM
how many discovery claims do teams get now? it used to be 6. I'm guessing you wouldn't want to list trialists on your website in case another team submits a discovery claim to thwart you.