PDA

View Full Version : No Marlies Tickets For TFC Fans - Kudos on not selling Marlies tickets to TFC fans

bgnewf
01-20-2011, 01:27 PM
No Marlies Tickets For TFC Fans

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/01/no-marlies-tickets-for-tfc-fans/

Kudos to TFC for realizing that most TFC fans do not want minor league hockey tickets. Thoughts on the public sale of half season ticket packages that this season do not include anymore tickets to the Toronto Marlies.

Parkdale
01-20-2011, 01:31 PM
they tried to force them on us for 4 years, and got nothing but negative feedback.

good for them, for only taking 4 years to see what everyone else could see (the Marlies are not Toronto FC)

Globetrotter
01-20-2011, 01:36 PM
They're still making phone calls about selling half season packs. I think they're not selling Marlies with TFC games because they're having a tough time just selling TFC. No idea though.

Parkdale
01-20-2011, 01:38 PM
agreed with adding TFC academy games. big time!

Fort York Redcoat
01-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Thank Zombie Jesus!!!

Damien
01-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Anyone know how the Marlies are doing attendance wise these days?
Maybe they're actually filling the stands so theres no need to force TFC fans to go anymore.... i'm honestly just guessing though because I don't really follow hockey.

Nestease
01-20-2011, 02:39 PM
They're not including Marlies tickets because they are having a hard enough time selling TFC tickets as is. Giving "kudos" to MLSE is a big crock of shit.

As Tom Anselmi would say, it's "supply and demand".

ensco
01-20-2011, 03:13 PM
They're not including Marlies tickets because they are having a hard enough time selling TFC tickets as is. Giving "kudos" to MLSE is a big crock of shit.

Thank you.

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Kudos to them?

I say kudos to the fans for telling them where they can put their marlie tickets.

menefreghista
01-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Anyone know how the Marlies are doing attendance wise these days?
Maybe they're actually filling the stands so theres no need to force TFC fans to go anymore.... i'm honestly just guessing though because I don't really follow hockey.

LOL. The Marlies continue to have shit attendance.

This is it.

Giving them credit for doing the obvious is hilarious.

Oldtimer
01-20-2011, 04:24 PM
This is not new information.

This has been going about the board for some time.
When they announced the changes to the season tickets packages, after Don Garber got involved and they had the town halls, they announced no Marlie "ransom packs" at the same time.

Also...

If Toronto FC were ever to include any additional tickets in its packages going forward I think they should include the Academy games that the club plays in the Canadian Soccer League.

Please don't give them any ideas on how to charge us more!!!

Parkdale
01-20-2011, 04:34 PM
I understand you're looking for tickets to the Sex Pistols reunion concert?

I'd be happy to sell you a ticket, provided you also buy 20 tickets to my niece's tap dance recital.

ArmenJBX
01-20-2011, 04:35 PM
All I can say is...

FINALLY

Darlofletch
01-20-2011, 04:35 PM
wasn't this decided ages ago?

i was talking to paul about this at one of the townhalls. At first he went with "no-one's forced to buy them", before he then decided to go with "if it was up to me, we'd get rid of them, I don't give a shit about the other teams"

Either way, I got the impression they were going to still go ahead, so it was surprising when they didn't.

don't get too excited though, tweeted this december 10th

(http://twitter.com/CruelGeography)CruelGeography (http://twitter.com/CruelGeography)
(http://twitter.com/CruelGeography)
No marlie packs this year? excellent decision, well done TFC , even though I know that you would if you thought you still could.
(http://twitter.com/CruelGeography)

paul replied to me with this

(http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne)Paulbeirne (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne)
(http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne)
@ (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne)CruelGeography (http://twitter.com/CruelGeography) we will.
(http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne)

so as soon as we get popular again, they'll be back.

Petor
01-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Good! That means that I won't be the last sucker to buy them! :)

Voodooman
01-20-2011, 04:46 PM
I know I might take some heat from this, but I actually enjoyed going to the Marlies games. I found them a little more enjoyable than a leaf game, cause these guys are actually still trying to earn a spot in the NHL. They gave me front row seats, so I am not complaining further. I actually will miss going to marlies games...but w/e..I just bought tickets to couple games..cheaper than going to leaf game and almost same quality.

Suds
01-20-2011, 04:50 PM
I know I might take some heat from this, but I actually enjoyed going to the Marlies games. I found them a little more enjoyable than a leaf game, cause these guys are actually still trying to earn a spot in the NHL. They gave me front row seats, so I am not complaining further. I actually will miss going to marlies games...but w/e..I just bought tickets to couple games..cheaper than going to leaf game and almost same quality.

I had a blast that the few Marlies games I went to but there plenty of Marlies tix available if anyone wants them. Walk up game day and get front row seats. No need to bundle 6 games into a package for footy tickets

I get the marketing behind it, but it was poorly thought out. Case in point - I have not been back to a game since I was forced to buy them. If I wanted Marlies tix I'd but Marlies tix.

Darlofletch
01-20-2011, 05:19 PM
finally got time to actually read the post.

don't agree that they've listened to fans and se the light at all, it's all supply and demand.

when the demand was there, rather than nurture it, they decided to exploit it. with the marlie packs and many other things, they went too far, now the demand isn't there, so they're having to back off the exploiting and go back to nurturing.

I'll give them kudos if we get successful and popular, and then at that point they don't bring back this sort of thing. until then, nope.

Mark in Ottawa
01-20-2011, 05:48 PM
They haven't given up completely. I got an e-mail a while back trying to get me to pony up for the Marlie tickets. Might have been some pre-christmas blitz.

I guess they didn't keep my comment of "bought em to get TFC ... don't want the Marlies, never did and ended up trying to give em away. If you try to force me again... well we may part company" to refer to when they sent me that e-mail.

Kudos for realizing we weren't gonna get taken by that scam anymore. Thumbs down to us for letting them get away with it for as long as they did.

Yeoman
01-20-2011, 06:24 PM
I had a blast that the few Marlies games I went to

so you're the guy i've seen in that arena some times

ag futbol
01-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Yes that thing you shouldn't have done in the first place, kudos for not doing that.

In other news, man who is threatened with jail time agrees to stop stealing from kensington market.

Nicholas982
01-20-2011, 07:11 PM

I'd be happy to sell you a ticket, provided you also buy 20 tickets to my niece's tap dance recital.

Yeah really. Giving kudos to an organization for finally, AFTER 4 YEARS, ceasing it's clumsy and overt extortion tactics in the face of declining renewal rates is just fucking silly.

It's akin to congratulating and praising your neighbour for finally putting a stop to his dog crapping all over your lawn every day for the past 4 years.

That's one serious case of MLSE Stockholm Syndrome right there from the OP. :D

Nicholas982
01-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Yes that thing you shouldn't have done in the first place, kudos for not doing that.

In other news, man who is threatened with jail time agrees to stop stealing from kensington market.

Precisely.

Damien
01-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Move the Marlies back up to Newmarket and play at Ray Twinney! Those were the DAYS!

zeelaw
01-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Yea I think Paul Beine tweeted it wasn;t happening...

Regardless, they had to cut it considering last season.

jimmyjazz
01-22-2011, 10:32 AM

It is called "tied selling" and the competition act frowns upon it heavily. I am astonished that no one ever brought suit against it.

J

nfitz
01-22-2011, 10:57 AM
It is called "tied selling" and the competition act frowns upon it heavily. I am astonished that no one ever brought suit against it.Given that they they sold the packs both with and without the Marlies tickets, I doubt there was anything that broke any laws. If I recall correctly, there were more packs sold without Marlies tickets than with. Problem was, by the time they got down to the bottom of the list, not surprisingly all the without tickets had sold.

An era best quickly forgotten.

Shakes McQueen
01-23-2011, 07:06 PM
This is how capitalism works. MLSE tried to push a product that wasn't popular, people didn't buy it, and now MLSE have responded to the market by offering something people are more likely to want.

I don't get the cynicism about it. This is how the market works, people. Vote with your wallet.

- Scott

Serb_Star
01-23-2011, 07:25 PM
There's just to much hockey in Canada, it's okay sometimes but the amount of coverage it gets is just overwhelming.

Gobi
01-24-2011, 04:25 PM

Bahahahah! That's exactly it.

Wildgreek
01-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Kudos to them?

I say kudos to the fans for telling them where they can put their marlie tickets.

Well Said

Nicholas982
01-24-2011, 06:53 PM
This is how capitalism works. MLSE tried to push a product that wasn't popular, people didn't buy it, and now MLSE have responded to the market by offering something people are more likely to want.

I don't get the cynicism about it. This is how the market works, people. Vote with your wallet.

- Scott

How often have you tried to buy, say, a flat-screen and the guy tells you that in order to do so you have to also purchase an old CRT that you don't want? :D

rocker
01-24-2011, 06:58 PM
How often have you tried to buy, say, a flat-screen and the guy tells you that in order to do so you have to also purchase an old CRT that you don't want? :D

TFC is the old CRT right? hahaha.

Why would anyone buy tickets to a team that never makes the playoffs? :D

Shakes McQueen
01-24-2011, 07:30 PM

Never, because they know no one would ever buy their flatscreen if that was the only way to get one.

- Scott

Yohan
01-24-2011, 07:36 PM

because we're stupid

ilikemusic
01-24-2011, 09:36 PM
If TFC could sell the Marlie packs, they would. No 'kudos' is in order (except maybe to the fans, who are wising up and walking away from this team).

Shakes McQueen
01-24-2011, 09:53 PM
If TFC could sell the Marlie packs, they would. No 'kudos' is in order (except maybe to the fans, who are wising up and walking away from this team).

If MLSE knew they could sell Marlie/Raptor/TFC full season packages, they would. But they can't, so they don't.

- Scott

ahandle
01-26-2011, 11:33 AM
we all know MLSE don't appreciate the fans, I always thought the marlies/tfc packages they tried to force on us was the lowest of the low in their tactics.

Nicholas982
01-26-2011, 02:56 PM

Well, when I was constructing that metaphor I envisioned TFC as the flatscreen and the marlies as the CRT, but damn if you don't have a point. :(

James Oliphant
02-04-2011, 04:29 PM
It is called "tied selling" and the competition act frowns upon it heavily. I am astonished that no one ever brought suit against it.

J

It's not tied selling because they were up-front about it. It was never "we're offering you TFC tickets, but only if you buy these Marlies tickets first", it was "we're selling TFC tickets and Marlies tickets together!"

I brought up the issue of tied selling (describing their "ransom packs" as being one shade away from the illegal practice) in a one-on-one with Anselmi at the final town hall meeting and he wasn't pleased with the comparison. He also claimed it was the first time he'd heard the term "ransom packs", at which point I told him he must not have been listening too closely.

Wull
02-04-2011, 06:27 PM
He also claimed it was the first time he'd heard the term "ransom packs", at which point I told him he must not have been listening too closely.

Have you not seen Pookie's interview with him?! He still thinks it's a baseball team :smilielol5: