PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,Jan.20

denime
01-20-2011, 06:17 AM
Mornin'

JDG On The Mend (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/jdg-mend)

Golden Buckeye (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/golden-buckeye)

TFC has a lot of work to do (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2011/01/19/16955476.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

razor787
01-20-2011, 06:18 AM
Morning Denime

Stouffville_RPB
01-20-2011, 07:17 AM
morning D

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2011, 07:49 AM
It was easy to criticize former director of soccer Mo Johnston for the team’s lack of progress. But he was just one man. No successful operation with such grandiose aspirations can be run by a team of one. Proper infrastructure is required and now TFC has just that.

so it wasnt his fault Gareth Wheeler?

Technorgasm
01-20-2011, 07:52 AM
"So with a 4-3-3 in mind, the three most pressing needs for management to acquire are capable wing-backs, a centre-forward/target-man and an overall upgrade in positional depth."

I keep hearing what we need. . . what do we HAVE NOW, that is a positive with camp and an away trip in Turkey only 2 freakin weeks away?????

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2011, 07:57 AM
i think we should fire our FO, Wheeler clearly knows what hes talking about and deserves to be in charge

Oldtimer
01-20-2011, 08:10 AM
so it wasnt his fault Gareth Wheeler?

Exactly.

The pieces by Wheeler have the objectivity of North Korea's press releases.

It's one thing for him to be writing "fluff" pieces for the FO. It's quite another thing for him to be giving excuses for his buddy Mo Johnston. If Mo wasn't such a dictator and micro-manager, he could have set up a proper management team. It's not like ML$E wouldn't have given him the tools to be successful, their fault was in giving too much trust to the man.

TOBOR !
01-20-2011, 08:37 AM
I always thought Marvell Wynne would've been a useful wing back. I think he'd perform ably in this system (handballs notwithstanding).

scooter
01-20-2011, 08:37 AM
mornin d

Oldtimer
01-20-2011, 08:43 AM
I always thought Marvell Wynne would've been a useful wing back. I think he'd perform ably in this system (handballs notwithstanding).

He has the speed, but he lacks technical ability to play well in a 4-3-3 system.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2011, 09:06 AM
He has the speed, but he lacks technical ability to play well in a 4-3-3 system.

agreed, if he had the crossing, ball handling skills i dont think he'd still be in the MLS

Darlofletch
01-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Exactly.

It's one thing for him to be writing "fluff" pieces for the FO. It's quite another thing for him to be giving excuses for his buddy Mo Johnston. If Mo wasn't such a dictator and micro-manager, he could have set up a proper management team. It's not like ML$E wouldn't have given him the tools to be successful, their fault was in giving too much trust to the man.

fluff pieces for the FO? really, I've always found wheeler to be very critical of the way the club's been run. sometimes too much so. I've never though of him as being in bed with the FO.

Alixir
01-20-2011, 09:31 AM
"TFC has a lot of work to do." ... pretty much been said since before we played our first ever match.

Roogsy
01-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Exactly.

Odd...I actually agreed with Wheeler's article. He rightfully points out that Mo was one man (unless MO was more than one man?) and that a team should not succeed or die based on one man alone (which is true, the structure TFC put in place in year 1 and 2 was horrible, we all knew it). Is there something fundamentally inaccurate with what Wheeler wrote here?

And I never got the feeling that Wheeler was a Mo-guy. He has consistently been a vocal critic of TFC and MLSE. IN fact, at the All-Star announcement at the ACC, Wheeler was the ONLY media to ask the "hard" question. Everyone else was gleefully enjoying the festive atmosphere but Wheeler was the only one to hold Anselmi to task for TFC's underperformance and asked plainly, "what happens if they don't make the playoffs?"

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2011, 09:52 AM
to me it reeks of diverting the blame. yes mo was in charge, yes it was too much for one man, why didnt Mo hire more people to help him? Mos fault

Roogsy
01-20-2011, 09:56 AM
I think you misunderstand Wheeler though Oss. Wheeler's fundamental problem is with the way MLSE runs their sports franchises. So while I am sure he thinks Mo was a complete idiot, he feels MLSE should not be left off the hook for putting an idiot in charge. And if you look at it from that point of view, you can understand his article a little better. I think he views Mo as a sympton, not the problem so he writes about the problem, not the symptom.

Wull
01-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Blazing speed?! I'm not going to get into the merits of jdg's performances again but I would never have pegged him as being one of the faster players

Beach_Red
01-20-2011, 10:04 AM
I think you misunderstand Wheeler though Oss. Wheeler's fundamental problem is with the way MLSE runs their sports franchises. So while I am sure he thinks Mo was a complete idiot, he feels MLSE should not be left off the hook for putting an idiot in charge. And if you look at it from that point of view, you can understand his article a little better. I think he views Mo as a sympton, not the problem so he writes about the problem, not the symptom.

Over the last few years we've seen MLSE change the way they run their franchises. The reporting structure of the Leafs management changed and now we've seen a big change in the structure of TFC's management - not just the people but the structure. It's a good sign, a step in the right direction. I agree MLSE shouldn't be let off the hook for the way they ran the team the first four years, but people dom't really care much about management structure. We're sports fans, we're intested in the personalities.

Roogsy
01-20-2011, 10:05 AM
With that point of view then even more reason for Wheeler not to dwell on Mo either. In fact, that would support Wheeler's article where he blames MLSE's previous structure for the Mo debacle and then looks forward to what this new structure will bring. I would say his article is inline with your opinion Beach.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2011, 10:15 AM

perhaps ill have to read the article again, if thats the case then i definitely agree. I think youd be hardpressed to find anyone that says MLSE has never had a problem with mismanagement. I just didnt get that from the article first time around. Doesnt help that i admittedly dont like Wheeler to begin with HAHAHA

Whoop
01-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Wait a minute, so now are we saying Wheeler is a good writer?

I'm confused.

Sweeper
01-20-2011, 10:28 AM
I wish we had something else to debate like player signings and trialists. The perceived lack of activity is killing me.

Ageroo
01-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Blazing speed?! I'm not going to get into the merits of jdg's performances again but I would never have pegged him as being one of the faster players

Yes as you know I am a JDG backer....but who would you classify on this team as being faster? I am just curious. He is one of the quickest players on and off the ball in my opinion. At least on our squad.....:D

For the record...Blazing is a little much...I agree. :)

Beach_Red
01-20-2011, 10:36 AM
I wish we had something else to debate like player signings and trialists. The perceived lack of activity is killing me.

I was thinking that, too, but because the management signings seemed to come pit of nowhere and happened very quickly once the rumours surfaced we'll probably see that with player signings, too.

It's part of the same discussion, in a way, there is a whole new structure at TFC.

Alixir
01-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Blazing speed?! I'm not going to get into the merits of jdg's performances again but I would never have pegged him as being one of the faster playersthey probably meant Jonathan DeGuzman.
Julien has to much wind resistance with that mop on his head....mind you if we lit it on fire we might see "blazing speed"

Sweeper
01-20-2011, 11:00 AM
When does training camp officially start? Is that today?

TFCRegina
01-20-2011, 11:03 AM
By the way, this is some CMNT news, but Tosaint Ricketts scored 2 goals on the 17th in a 4-0 win for FC Poli Timisoara of Liga 1 (Romania). Ricketts is a former player of the Finnish Premier Division.

I state this because it's often believed that 4th Division equivalent leagues (USL/NASL) are no place to be looking for players but it seems that if you dig hard enough there are some real gems.

I wonder how long it will be before someone kicks Jonke's tires.

keem-o-sabi
01-20-2011, 11:05 AM
coed girls
1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2011/01/20/miss-coed-kaya-danielle-44-pics/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2011/01/19/the-50-most-popular-playboy-playmates-on-the-web-according-to-google/)

scooter
01-20-2011, 11:14 AM
i only can hope and pray jdg can give us a look at his blazing speed and althought i can see he is good on the ball his distribution is questionable
but its a new year so bring it on

bgnewf
01-20-2011, 11:41 AM
i only can hope and pray jdg can give us a look at his blazing speed and although I can see he is good on the ball his distribution is questionable...but its a new year so bring it on

Distribution is more than the pass from one player to another. There has to be someone competent on the receiving end to get the ball and allow the pass to be completed before you can call it "distribution".

One could argue that he has not had a ton of greatness to work with to date.

Roogsy
01-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Distribution is more than the pass from one player to another. There has to be someone competent on the receiving end to get the ball and allow the pass to be completed before you can call it "distribution".

Agree 100%.

The problem however is that once he realized the quality he was working with (something he should have realized in the first place) he was not able to adjust his game. Something you would expect from your team's DP.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2011, 12:01 PM
both great points. question is why wasnt he able to adjust his game? laziness or capability. can he adjust his game this season?

Ageroo
01-20-2011, 12:08 PM
both great points. question is why wasnt he able to adjust his game? laziness or capability. can he adjust his game this season?

I am leaning toward laziness.......but only he can tell us that. Well I am hoping for good things this season. Last season is in the past and hopefully he moves forward in the new system.

Carts
01-20-2011, 12:13 PM

One thing I have always wondered is "why does JDG get a free pass on his distribution?"...

If Adrian Serioux (or anyone in the LEAGUE!!) made a bad pass to open space it was "why would he throw the ball away?"... OR "who was that to?"

If JDG made a bad pass to open space that went directly out to touch its "why isn't anyone moving into space for him?"

At some point - blame lays on the player. Not the team around him...

Carts...

levyashin
01-20-2011, 12:57 PM
:drinking:quote AGROO;for the record;;Garcia would beat jdg over ,40---60---80---100-yards going backwards.

Gazza
01-20-2011, 01:18 PM
I also think that JDG thought he would come to MLS and dominate, and then became a deer in headlights when he realized how little time he had on the ball.

Guys were still making positive runs and he was unable to pick them out. So i think the lack of talent he had to work with can only be so much of an excuse. Having said that, i'm still expecting quite a bit from him this year, which is a great example of the definition of insanity. But i have a feeling Winter's system will run through JDG. Time for him to put up or shut up.

DangerRed
01-20-2011, 01:39 PM
One thing I have always wondered is "why does JDG get a free pass on his distribution?"...

If Adrian Serioux (or anyone in the LEAGUE!!) made a bad pass to open space it was "why would he throw the ball away?"... OR "who was that to?"

If JDG made a bad pass to open space that went directly out to touch its "why isn't anyone moving into space for him?"

At some point - blame lays on the player. Not the team around him...

Carts...

For me, it's 50-50. Half the time, the pass goes to a brilliant bit of space with no one in it because someone's playing out of position, didn't track back or didn't make a run for the throughball.

The other half, he turns someone coming at him and just sort of blindly pops the ball forward with apparently very little aforethought. In that case, I always pipe up with a "who was that to, ya bum?!" Mind you, the only people who hear me are those around me, rather than JDG.. :)