PDA

View Full Version : Angel sign with Galaxy. Third DP

Pendrith
01-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Per SI http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/soccer/01/19/galaxy.angel/index.html

Roogsy
01-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Per SI http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/soccer/01/19/galaxy.angel/index.html

Wait a sec....isn't he too old for a DP contract? He's 3 years older than DeRo! He should be in a wheelchair...

JonO
01-19-2011, 05:22 PM
So how much allocation does this give us to sign players?

BeerBaron95
01-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Wait a sec....isn't he too old for a DP contract? He's 3 years older than DeRo! He should be in a wheelchair...

JPA doesn't sign imaginary checks :D
:flare:

Auzzy
01-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Maybe we can turn this into another DeRo thread. The other one only has 70+ pages & is slowing down...

Brooker
01-19-2011, 05:24 PM
There go all the rumors of L.A signing a huge 3rd DP... Does this mean Barrett is a super sub now?

Mrs DeRosario.... please stop. :o

Roogsy
01-19-2011, 05:27 PM
There go all the rumors of L.A signing a huge 3rd DP... Does this mean Barrett is a super sub now?

That is a pretty potent lineup. Barrett coming off the bench is probably about right, not at his salary though. We are definitely picking up part of his salary then.

Mrs DeRosario.... please stop. :o

:lol: :dita:

Brooker
01-19-2011, 05:32 PM
I changed my mind. Don't talk about us picking up any of Barretts contract and go back to your DeRosario talk.

You're just being mean now.

jloome
01-19-2011, 05:33 PM
I'd be willing to bet Angel doesn't hit double digits next season.

Anyone who watched him the second half of last year would've noticed his legs were basically done. He couldn't get more than about a foot of the ground aerially, has no second gear. Even with Thierry Henry and the American kid (whose name is eluding me) drawing heat away from him he wasn't particularly effective.

Bad deal for the Galaxy, unless it's totally front-end weighted or has protective clauses.

Roogsy
01-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Yeah he disappeared in the last half of the season. Probably a good reason why RBNY underperformed in the playoffs.

Nicholas982
01-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Donovan, Beckham, Angel, Barrett......pretty good attack, by MLS standards.

Whoop
01-19-2011, 05:41 PM
I guess giving out bad contracts isn't restricted to TFC.

Smokecell
01-19-2011, 05:42 PM

Anyone who watched him the second half of last year would've noticed his legs were basically done. He couldn't get more than about a foot of the ground aerially, has no second gear. Even with Thierry Henry and the American kid (whose name is eluding me) drawing heat away from him he wasn't particularly effective.

Bad deal for the Galaxy, unless it's totally front-end weighted or has protective clauses.

Pump the breaks.....if becks stays healthy angel can end up being a deadly force once again. Think of it Becks' crosses + the aerial ability of Angel, given 6 years ago that sentence would be something to salavate over in MLS it should still be enough to yield attention this season at the very least. Of course with that said I haven't even brought service from Landycakes up yet...

Yohan
01-19-2011, 05:52 PM
interesting, a multi year deal. so i'm guessing 1 year plus club option for another one?

Whoop
01-19-2011, 05:56 PM
^^
If I'm a Galaxy fan I would hope so.

Anything more than one year is larceny.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2011, 05:57 PM

Cosign on this statement. He doesnt look nearly as fit and dangerous as he used to. He might be able to get a few off the service but he wont have the speed or agility otherwise.

Shakes McQueen
01-19-2011, 06:05 PM

I will also co-sign this. Angel fell off the face of the Earth on the back nine of last season. His aerial ability in particular faltered.

Interesting gamble by LA, but I think it was ludicrous to give him that kind of contract, unless it follows the kinds of terms you laid out.

- Scott

TFC14
01-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Can we expect NYRB to be in the hunt for a third DP?

ensco
01-19-2011, 06:33 PM
If it's a one year commitment, I think it's interesting.

Compared to most DPs, Angel has a lot of "getting older" risk, but a lot less "can't play in MLS" risk.

rocker
01-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Can we expect NYRB to be in the hunt for a third DP?

Erik Soler said no to that recently. They're happy with Marquez and Henry, and they're looking to add depth across the roster.

boban
01-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Don't know where this comes from.
2 strikers starting at once is more than common.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2011, 07:03 PM
I seem to remember backe saying thered be no search for a 3rd dp

prizby
01-19-2011, 07:07 PM

Angel also had successful years in the EPL to his resume...remind me where DeRo played in Europe again?

trane
01-19-2011, 07:30 PM
JPA doesn't sign imaginary checks :D
:flare:

Are imaginary checks for imaginary goals? Just asking.

ag futbol
01-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Your level of play is what matters, not where you've played. That being said Angel gets to sign a contract because he's a FA, which Dero is not.

I still don't get why the Galaxy wouldn't have extended that money to Buddle instead though.

TFC14
01-19-2011, 07:36 PM
35 is pretty old for a striker, especially considering the speed of the MLS...I don't know what the actual figures of his contract are, but I'm sure ithe DP tag is more of a strategic move to free up cap room rather than to afford a substantial contract such as Becks. A good example is Nkufo in Seattle...his wage is only 480k...DP doesn't necessarily mean 1 million+ contract.

After stating this wouldn't it be smart of Toronto to slap the DP tag on Dero to free up some cap salary to fill out our skimpy roster? He makes comparable money to Nkufo...unless they have a plan on brining in 2 more true DP's (yeah right).

Oldtimer
01-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Are imaginary checks for imaginary goals? Just asking.

Imaginary checks are for imaginary MLS Cups that you bring to the club paying the check (or cheque, since we're in Canada). You sign them after your imaginary game winning goal. :D

Shakes McQueen
01-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Your level of play is what matters, not where you've played. That being said Angel gets to sign a contract because he's a FA, which Dero is not.

Exactly.

- Scott

ManUtd4ever
01-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Donovan, Beckham, Angel, Barrett......pretty good attack, by MLS standards.

A formidable attack, albeit an injury prone attack as well...

69Chevy396
01-19-2011, 07:52 PM
This is a good signing for LA, MLS, and ultimately TFC. Raising the level of the game will motivate the rest of the league to improve, and that is what i paid for when I renewed my ticket.

Pachuco
01-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Angel also had successful years in the EPL to his resume...remind me where DeRo played in Europe again?

Yes because in Europe they give you a magic potion that says you'll be able to play until you are 42 :rolleyes:

Nicholas982
01-19-2011, 10:49 PM
A formidable attack, albeit an injury prone attack as well...

I can see Barrett easily potting between 10-13 goals next season, taking quality service from Becks and Landy, provided he stays healthy of course.

Prepare yourself for all the "yet ANOTHER player hits his stride after leaving TFC" crap in a few months time. :facepalm:

Yohan
01-19-2011, 11:12 PM
35 is pretty old for a striker, especially considering the speed of the MLS...I don't know what the actual figures of his contract are, but I'm sure ithe DP tag is more of a strategic move to free up cap room rather than to afford a substantial contract such as Becks. A good example is Nkufo in Seattle...his wage is only 480k...DP doesn't necessarily mean 1 million+ contract.

After stating this wouldn't it be smart of Toronto to slap the DP tag on Dero to free up some cap salary to fill out our skimpy roster? He makes comparable money to Nkufo...unless they have a plan on brining in 2 more true DP's (yeah right).
funny you mention 35 yrs is old for a striker, ad Nkufo is 36 IIRC ;)

Waggy
01-20-2011, 03:36 AM
Still say, if Dero can find an MLS team who'll give him a DP contract I'm more then happy to let him go for allocation and or draft picks. I just don't think you'll find an MLS team willing to make him a DP. He had chances in 06 and 08 and no-one stepped up, not even his home town team who was desperate to sign him. Anywho to topic:

HA. I bet one of the main reasons the Galaxy went for Angel was the Beckham effect is wearing off (re: everyone who would buy a jersey already did). Now how can they sell more jerseys? Market one of the biggest name Latinos in the league. I don't care how naive a Galaxy fan is, no-one can think losing Buddle and gaining Angel is anything but a MASSIVE downgrade. And at their age the Galaxy are 1 step away from being sponsored by Depends
http://www.ca.depend.com/mens-solutions

Well, at least it means even if Chad is a super sub he's all but guaranteed minutes in almost every game.

Shakes McQueen
01-20-2011, 04:02 AM
Still say, if Dero can find an MLS team who'll give him a DP contract I'm more then happy to let him go for allocation and or draft picks. I just don't think you'll find an MLS team willing to make him a DP. He had chances in 06 and 08 and no-one stepped up, not even his home town team who was desperate to sign him. Anywho to topic:

HA. I bet one of the main reasons the Galaxy went for Angel was the Beckham effect is wearing off (re: everyone who would buy a jersey already did). Now how can they sell more jerseys? Market one of the biggest name Latinos in the league. I don't care how naive a Galaxy fan is, no-one can think losing Buddle and gaining Angel is anything but a MASSIVE downgrade. And at their age the Galaxy are 1 step away from being sponsored by Depends
http://www.ca.depend.com/mens-solutions

Well, at least it means even if Chad is a super sub he's all but guaranteed minutes in almost every game.

I think it's because Becks is in his last contract year and may very well be done after this year, so they are pulling out the stops and "taking their shot", so to speak.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
01-20-2011, 04:04 AM
Yes because in Europe they give you a magic potion that says you'll be able to play until you are 42 :rolleyes:

Not necessarily endorsing his position, but I think his point was that Angel has a certain pedigree that allows him to demand that kind of money - not that the EPL sprinkles anti-aging pixie dust on it's players. :D

- Scott

Milky
01-20-2011, 06:20 AM
There is always risk when you sign a player who is 35 years old. That being said, Ryan Giggs is extending his contract at Manchester United and I can think of many other examples of older players who have taken care of themselves, thus prolonging their careers. Perhaps JPA did slow down in the latter part of last season, but he still managed to hit double figures and I would not be surprised if he does so again. He is still a decent signing IMO and I also think that he'll be motivated in LA. As well, if any coach can get something out of him then it's Bruce Arena.

It will be interesting to learn the details of his contract, though. He made well over $1.5m last season and I would suspect that he's taken a pay-cut to below $1m for this year, although how low is anyone's guess at the moment.

JonO
01-20-2011, 11:18 AM
If someone is bored and wants to look at it, how are they going to fit their team under the cap? Three DPs = $1,005,000 + Barrett (approx $300k). Assuming TFC is each $100k of his salary (which I hope they aren't but who knows with this stuff) that is $1.2mil of the $2.6mil used on 4 players. Which leaves $1.4mil left for the rest of the team?? They can't have much allocations since they have been top of the league...

Nodoubtguy
01-20-2011, 11:20 AM
I remember reading somewhere it was a 3 year deal

mdc 77
01-20-2011, 11:30 AM
If it's a one year commitment, I think it's interesting.

Compared to most DPs, Angel has a lot of "getting older" risk, but a lot less "can't play in MLS" risk.

This may have applied if this signing was a year ago today but after the midway point of last season you could make an argument for both, getting older risk and no longer can play in MLS risk.

Milky
01-20-2011, 03:11 PM
JonO, I took a quick glance at LA's roster and they do indeed have the majority of their players under 100K. That being said, they've signed Hjeduk as well and as you suggest, they must be very close to the cap limit. Very close.

ensco
01-20-2011, 03:18 PM
This may have applied if this signing was a year ago today but after the midway point of last season you could make an argument for both, getting older risk and no longer can play in MLS risk.

Could be.

But I think I'd take a flier on Angel at something like $500K for one year.

Also there is a decent sized Colombian community in LA (as their was in NY), he helps put some fannies in the seats.

Wull
01-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Could be.

But I think I'd take a flier on Angel at something like $500K for one year.

Also there is a decent sized Colombian community in LA (as their was in NY), he helps put some fannies in the seats.

I thought beckham was the one attracting the fanny?!

boban
01-20-2011, 04:18 PM
I thought beckham was the one attracting the fanny?!
He does. But some are getting tired of his winter/spring European act. The shine has worn off a bit and having another person attract fans is not a bad thing.