PDA

View Full Version : Are you drunk After TFC Home Games?. . . .

Technorgasm
01-19-2011, 07:46 AM
http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/local/article/747407--trouble-on-tap-after-pro-games

Every time a Leaf, Blue Jays or Argonaut game ends in Toronto, it will disgorge about 1,600 legally drunk fans onto city streets and roadways.

(They do not mention TFC games, but my assumption is that the rate of drunks per game in Footy is HIGHER than other sports. . not including college sports)

A new study of alcohol consumption at professional sporting events shows eight per cent of fans are walking — or stumbling — out of stadiums with blood alcohol levels of 0.08 per cent or greater.

With average attendance for Toronto’s big sports teams hovering around 20,000 per game last year, the number of drunks among those crowds would be sizable, says Darin Erickson, a University of Minnesota epidemiologist.

“Some people may say eight per cent doesn’t sound too bad ... (but) given the number of sports attendees in a given year, it’s potentially a lot of people,” says Erickson, whose research team conducted breathalyzer tests amongst post-game football and baseball crowds.

The survey, released yesterday by the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, was conducted at 16 NFL and Major League Baseball games and involved some 362 people.

It also showed some 32 per cent of fans had been drinking, but were below the legal limit.

Erickson points out that many intoxicated people would have been reticent to submit to the study’s voluntary breathalyzer, so the survey may skew the actual percentage of inebriated fans downward.

The biggest worry is people getting behind the wheel of a car, he says, adding the potential for violence also increases with alcohol consumption, especially after emotionally charged games.

The bulk of people with positive blood alcohol levels were between the ages of 21 and 35, with men and women scoring equally. People in that age group were almost eight times more likely to be intoxicated.
As well, people who had attended pre-game “tailgating parties” were six times more likely to be drunk than those who had not.

tfcleeds
01-19-2011, 07:54 AM
I like drink.

Parkdale
01-19-2011, 07:57 AM
a similar story ran in the star, and they mentions us (indirectly)

http://mobile.thestar.com/mobile/NEWS/article/924205

Intoxicated sports fans raise risk of drunk driving, violence

January 18, 2011 19:01:00 Joseph Hall
Health Reporter

Every time a Leaf, Blue Jays or Argonaut game ends in Toronto, it will disgorge about 1,600 legally drunk fans onto city streets and roadways.
A new study of alcohol consumption at professional sporting events shows 8 per cent of fans are walking, or stumbling, out of stadiums with blood alcohol levels of 0.08 per cent or greater.

With average attendance for Toronto’s big sports teams hovering around 20,000 per game last year, the number of drunks among those crowds would be sizable, says Darin Erickson, a University of Minnesota epidemiologist.

“Some people may say 8 per cent doesn’t sound too bad . . . (but) given the number of sports attendees in a given year, it’s potentially a lot of people,” says Erickson, whose research team conducted breathalyzer tests amongst postgame football and baseball crowds.

The survey, released Tuesday by the journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, was conducted at 16 NFL and Major League Baseball games and involved some 362 people.

It also showed some 32 per cent of fans had been drinking, but were below the legal limit.

The bulk of people with positive blood alcohol levels were between the ages of 21 and 35, with men and women scoring equally. People in that age group were almost eight times more likely to be intoxicated.

As well, people who had attended pre-game “tailgating parties” were six times more likely to be drunk than those who had not.

Erickson points out that many intoxicated people would have been reticent to submit to the study’s voluntary breathalyzer, so the survey may skew the actual percentage of inebriated fans downward.

The biggest worry is people getting behind the wheel of a car, he says, adding the potential for violence also increases with alcohol consumption, especially after emotionally charged games.

Postgame patrons who appear to be walking wonky, disturbing others or otherwise acting inebriated will be out of luck if they’re looking for a celebratory or sorrow-drowning pint at the Harbour Sports Grille, says manager Howie Goldfarb.

“We won’t serve them,” he says, adding the Yonge St. bar is always fully staffed on big game nights.

He notes Leafs fans tend to be tamer. “You don’t get too many exuberantly drunk Leafs fans these days. They drink to drown their sorrows.”

The worst, he adds, are soccer fans. “Thankfully we’re not close to (Exhibition Place).”

Kathryn Graham, a senior scientist at Toronto’s Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, says past research has shown sporting events produce as many violent encounters as bars.

“You’d expect increased fighting, especially if they’d been to a violent sport,” says Graham, who studies alcohol-related violence.

Air Canada Centre officials say their facility will typically sell some 6,000 alcoholic beverages for every 18,000 fans in attendance. The vast majority of that is beer.

Mario Coutinho, head of stadium operations and security at the Rogers Centre, says alcohol training and serving policies are fairly uniform at most big league sports venues in Canada and the United states.

Most stadiums typically allow fans to buy no more than two beers at a time in the concourse area and one from aisle vendors. Teams stop serving alcohol at the end of the 7th inning in baseball and the 3rd quarter in football.

As well, he says, fans are not allowed to have more than two drinks in their possession at any one time to avoid stockpiling at their seats. Age ID is also required for those who appear 30 or under.

But Coutinho, who says about one or two drunken fans will be expelled on average from any game, admits there is a limit to a stadium’s ability to monitor crowds that can reach 50,000 people.

With files from Amy Dempsey

notice that (Exhibition Place) is in brackets? What are the odds the actually said BMO, or just TFC?

Parkdale
01-19-2011, 07:59 AM
ps. drunkest 7:45am thread ever

TFC Bhoy
01-19-2011, 08:04 AM
i think for me it depends. If I have time to get to Joe's or that before the game to have some drinks, then drink at the game, then ya i'll be drunk probably. But if I don't have that much time and just drink at the game then ill have a buzz probably but not be drunk (that would cost faaaaaaaaaaaaar too much!)

Oldtimer
01-19-2011, 08:04 AM
It shows why a lot of the LLBO's focus is on their "Smart Serve" program. For example for individuals, they give these tips:

Handling a guest that has become intoxicated is never easy. Often, the person's judgment is impaired and they may not be ready to admit that they have had too much to drink. As a host, it's important that you know how to handle an intoxicated guest.

Never serve guests to the point of intoxication. If you notice that trouble is starting - such as verbal arguments - intervene in a friendly manner and try to diffuse the situation.
Use tact. If you can, get the person who has been drinking away from the area and other guests. Speak to them directly and privately. If you can't calm the person down, you may need to ask a friend of theirs to help encourage the person to leave the event.
Convince the guest not to drive. This includes any motorized vehicle, including cars, boats, snowmobiles, recreational vehicles and motorcycles. Convincing a guest not to drive can be a real challenge. Don't be afraid to show your concern for your guest's welfare.
If the person will give you their car keys, take them and store them away. If the guest will not give you the car keys, and you know they are unfit to drive, you may have to resort to stronger measures such as calling the police.

Tip 5 - Arrange safe transport options
Investigate alternatives to driving for guests leaving your event, including:

designated driver programs
subsidized taxis
local transit

https://smartserve.org/faq_responsible.asp

They also train servers on how to handle various situations wisely (which is what would apply at BMO Field).

lips
01-19-2011, 08:29 AM
I try to get a nice glow on before the game. :drinking:
Don’t like to drink at BMO for $9.00 a beer. Wonder if there will be a price increase this year?

Pachuco
01-19-2011, 08:31 AM
I've never been sober after game day if it's a saturday. However, weeknights and sunday games I don't drink as I work the next day.

TFC_Junky
01-19-2011, 08:46 AM
I've never been sober after game day if it's a saturday. However, weeknights and sunday games I don't drink as I work the next day.

Yup, same here. If it's a saturday, it's kinda tradition to get raukus and rowdy and beer helps to fuel it!!!

:scarf: + :drinking: = :drunk:

maninb
01-19-2011, 08:58 AM
To hell with the EXTORTIONATE beer prices at BMO...I bring in my own flask of Single Malt....

james
01-19-2011, 09:13 AM
drink my mickey of rum before the games! :drinking::D

Parkdale
01-19-2011, 09:18 AM
I did a number of games stone sober last year, and noticed two things

a) you really don't need beer to enjoy a TFC match
b) some people enjoy the beers a little too much at the game.

I've never (over very, very rarely) seen anyone fall-down-drunk at a raps game.
You see it most weeks at BMO, but especially in the hot summer sun

ManUtd4ever
01-19-2011, 09:24 AM
I can't watch a game without a beer in hand. I can't get drunk off of beer though. I like the idea of a flask...

Parkdale
01-19-2011, 09:26 AM
hahaha... this thread has quickly turned into the 'flask appreciation thread'

nice work technorb

CBTFC
01-19-2011, 09:40 AM
I try to get a nice glow on before the game. :drinking:
Don’t like to drink at BMO for $9.00 a beer. Wonder if there will be a price increase this year?

Exactly, it's all about the pre-drink...and an 8 ounce flask full of Havana Club ;) Hence, my BMO purchases are usually just a large coke/pepsi.

king dave
01-19-2011, 09:51 AM
May I remind everyone,

Rules and Regulations Governing Alcohol Management at BMO Field

Alcohol from outside the stadium cannot be brought in.
Any person found inside the stadium with alcohol not purchased inside BMO Field may be subject to immediate ejection with no compensation.
A person may not enter the stadium in an intoxicated state.
Intoxication in a public place is a criminal offence. Any person found on the property in an intoxicated state may be removed from the premises.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1337/5144552306_6fec72f2b6.jpg
KD.

Carts
01-19-2011, 09:55 AM
May I remind everyone,

A person may not enter the stadium in an intoxicated state.

KD.

That explains some empty seats anyways :)

TFCDP
01-19-2011, 09:59 AM
I myself require alcohol at TFC games.. It loosens me up.. If I am not driving then I'll sometimes bring a flask of rye... I've never been wasted at the end of a game though.

king dave
01-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Hey the 'drunkards' are catching up to the 'drinkers' in the poll.
Where's AL-MO?????? LOL
KD.

Technorgasm
01-19-2011, 10:02 AM
hahaha... this thread has quickly turned into the 'flask appreciation thread'

nice work technorb

I hav a tradition in place that has spanned the entrire course of TFC's History. . . . which I will not divulge, but anyone who has hung out with me for a game knows the score.

I am sure PaulB doesnt need/want to know that so many peeps are packin flasks n stashs of different kinds for home games.

fact is. . .

I like drink.

king dave
01-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Non-drinkers? Looks like relagation to the Allensapplejuice Division.
KD.

Pinkie
01-19-2011, 10:03 AM
i definitely think if they did study after a TFC game they'd realise that waaaay more than 8% of spectators are above the legal limit..but then again it really doesn't take much for the average person to reach that level.

as for me i defo predrink but more often than not do not buy booze at bmo..way too much money.

I don't get how you guys sneak in booze..i'd be too nervous to get caught. but there is a dude who sits right in front of me who totally rocks the mickey every single game. impressive.

king dave
01-19-2011, 10:06 AM
On afternoons this week. All this drink talk:rolleyes:.
Anyone up for a 9:30 pm session @ the TK tomorrow or Friday?
KD.

Technorgasm
01-19-2011, 10:07 AM
. . . . . but there is a dude who sits right in front of me who totally rocks the mickey every single game. impressive.

Hi Pinkie!@!!! :seeya:

I usually pre-pre drink. . have a lil whiskey with my eggs, watch the morning footy at the pub all morning, then hit BMO and have a couple of beers on the walk. . . then the game, and then sometimes just close out Joes and somehow find my way home.. kidneys intact. .. .

All this booze talk. . anyone for a pint at lunch?

king dave
01-19-2011, 10:08 AM
i definitely think if they did study after a TFC game they'd realise that waaaay more than 8% of spectators are above the legal limit..but then again it really doesn't take much for the average person to reach that level.

as for me i defo predrink but more often than not do not buy booze at bmo..way too much money.

I don't get how you guys sneak in booze..i'd be too nervous to get caught. but there is a dude who sits right in front of me who totally rocks the mickey every single game. impressive.
Hmmmm?
Does he wear a shirt?
KD.

Ben - D.O.W.
01-19-2011, 10:10 AM
We take a bus in from Guelph for every game that is subsidized by a local pub. Hour bus ride + meeting at the pub beforehand means that I've been known to have a drink or two before games. Having said that I'm probably 50/50 for drinking / not drinking at home games. Now away games on the other hand....

Also as for the flask brigade - I don't normally, but I have once or twice in the past. The MLS cup in the fall pretty much demanded you bring something warm with you though, my warm drink rhymed with Bameson and made that cold November night much more enjoyable.

Ben - D.O.W.
01-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Also nothing says 10 am on a Wednesday in January like talk of beer and whiskey.

king dave
01-19-2011, 10:14 AM
We take a bus in . ..
Now that's a great idea.
I know few guys who drive in for the games from 2-3 hours away and have 1 maybe 2 drinks for obvious reasons. Makes for a very long day, win OR lose.
KD.

king dave
01-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Also nothing says 10 am on a Wednesday in January like talk of beer and whiskey.
Have we met?:D
KD.

king dave
01-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Hey mods?
Re-title this thread, "Early morning with . . .":rofl:
KD.

Parkdale
01-19-2011, 10:24 AM
May I remind everyone,

Rules and Regulations Governing Alcohol Management at BMO Field

Intoxication in a public place is a criminal offence.

KD.

thanks for pointing it out dave. Knowing if half the battle!

Batman
weekday games
... nothing before, 2 beers during.
weekend games
... many before, who's counting, preferably at tailgate, never at Joes.
... usually none during the match

This leaves me fine for post match drive.

Parkdale
and you can bet the pat-downs at the gate will be extra stringent next year. Thanks flaskers!

king dave
01-19-2011, 10:25 AM
"'Drunkards up' 3 points clear at the top.
With a drink in hand. Gonna be tough now for the 'Drinkers' to gain any ground as the 'Drunkards' bench is just getting out of bed.
With no subs to this point it appears the
'Drinkers' may have some tired livers out there and no bench depth as most of them are busy being productive at their place of employment.
Couple of subs about to make their appearance for Sir Technorgasms band of lager louts."
KD.

Pinkie
01-19-2011, 10:26 AM
lool i love that we're letting the FO know what we do...and they all know where we sit. we're smrt.

hi techno...our section is the best section.

king dave
01-19-2011, 10:27 AM
thanks for pointing it out dave. Knowing if half the battle!
2 words.
Side streets.
KD.

Davenport
01-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Getting bladdered before games helps me get through them.

king dave
01-19-2011, 10:33 AM
"Another point @ the top. Dear oh dear.
The 'Drinkers' appeared to have a commanding start to the thread.
It's an uphill swill now unfortunately"
KD.

London
01-19-2011, 10:34 AM
I voted no as i generaly have a 2 hour drive after

king dave
01-19-2011, 10:36 AM
I voted no as i generaly have a 2 hour drive after
But you make up for it in Chicktown, yes?
Ooops! I mean Chucktown:rolleyes:
KD.

trane
01-19-2011, 10:38 AM
This poll does not work for me. I do not drink regullarly, and I do not drink at games. I do drink wishkey, moslty scotch and some Irish, and wine, mostly Italian, and beer, but more high end and import stuff ( my favourite Canadian beers are from Quebec) so there is not much but water that I like to drink at games, unless they start walking aroud with Oban and shotglasses, with some guiness to chase it.

Milky
01-19-2011, 10:44 AM
I love this thread!

As for me, I'm usually buzzed but never drunk. Funny story though: I once tried to smuggle a flask into BMO but the flask leaked, so instead of being suave and inconspicuous, I ended up reeking of alcohol like a homeless person. I got a funny look from security but they let me in.

trane
01-19-2011, 10:46 AM
"Another point @ the top. Dear oh dear.
The 'Drinkers' appeared to have a commanding start to the thread.
It's an uphill swill now unfortunately"
KD.

I am going to vote for the "drinkers" just to support the King. For I am for King and Country.

nobodybeatsthewiz
01-19-2011, 10:48 AM
All this booze talk. . anyone for a pint at lunch?

pfffft, youre no weekday hoocher like doug and dave and i, moore. you used to be cool, haha.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
01-19-2011, 10:48 AM
I love this thread!

As for me, I'm usually buzzed but never drunk. Funny story though: I once tried to smuggle a flask into BMO but the flask leaked, so instead of being suave and inconspicuous, I ended up reeking of alcohol like a homeless person. I got a funny look from security but they let me in.

^Memories of grade 10.

I tend to pre-drink with the intention of keeping a lid on the in-game boozing, but then something happens...

king dave
01-19-2011, 10:49 AM
I am going to vote for the "drinkers" just to support the King. For I am for King and Country.
Et tu Brutus?:D
KD.

nobodybeatsthewiz
01-19-2011, 10:50 AM
id say i do more saucing during sunday/monday/tuesday/wednesday nites in a random week than i ever have/do during tfc-related events. a wee bit bizarro, but thats how she be.

trane
01-19-2011, 10:51 AM
KD

I am giving you my vote, EVEN if do not drink, for I am loyal to Ceasar. Like Mark Anthony.

nobodybeatsthewiz
01-19-2011, 10:52 AM
what she says at 2:05-2:09.....substitute giles in for roy

6wa2v8707Kw

king dave
01-19-2011, 10:54 AM
id say i do more saucing during sunday/monday/tuesday/wednesday nites in a random week than i ever have/do during tfc-related events. a wee bit bizarro, but thats how she be.
Don't go to bars to drink like the punks today do.
Only if it's to meet other drinkers/like minded douchbags like my myself.
Choose to stay home and woodshed.
Anyone for a game of darts?
KD.

king dave
01-19-2011, 10:55 AM
what she says at 2:05-2:09.....substitute giles in for roy

6wa2v8707Kw
Classic.
KD.

Technorgasm
01-19-2011, 11:10 AM
pfffft, youre no weekday hoocher like doug and dave and i, moore. you used to be cool, haha.

In your dreams MUNSON!!!
Yes, the days of old seem different than today, but my NYE resolution was to do more mid-week hoochin. . . cuz. . I like drink. .

Footy related Hoochin being my favorite type of course.

but Dart playin hoochin sounds like a Gas. . . Im game.

Technorgasm
01-19-2011, 11:13 AM
the name of this thread shoud be. . are you drunk Right now

Waggy
01-19-2011, 11:17 AM
and you can bet the pat-downs at the gate will be extra stringent next year. Thanks flaskers!

Just means we'll need to be more creative ;)

(Uh, not that I bring liquor in to TFC games. Or Raptors, Argos or Jays games either for that matter. I'm perfectly happy paying $8.50 for a single small beer. That way while the team is getting raped on the field/court I can get raped off it! Now that's real support!)

nobodybeatsthewiz
01-19-2011, 11:18 AM
my NYE resolution was to do more mid-week hoochin. . . cuz. . I like drink. .

prove it then :)

tfcleeds
01-19-2011, 11:19 AM
the name of this thread shoud be. . are you drunk Right now

Beat me to it, Giles...

TFCDP
01-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Techno... Not certain but I think I may have sat behind you in 112 a couple of times and know the "score"... From then on, I did the same (when I don't drive to the games).

Technorgasm
01-19-2011, 11:30 AM
I heard this story, not sure if its true, cant really confirm .. .

The guy put one of those tiny lil mini-shot bottles of booze in his bag .. HIOPING to get it confiscated. . all the while knowing that he had a mickey, or one of those smaller mini-mickey bottles in another compartment of the bag.

. . then there are those fuckin people who bring an arsenal of hooch like a paratroppoer preparing for a month long assault. . .

TFCDP
01-19-2011, 11:36 AM
The back pocket flask works every time..:o

BFin
01-19-2011, 11:47 AM
I like drunk. Not drink.

Parkdale
01-19-2011, 11:54 AM
. . then there are those fuckin people who bring an arsenal of hooch like a paratroppoer preparing for a month long assault. . .

I can think of one. The guy had liters of booze on him. I think he even needed a corkscrew!

king dave
01-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Living close to BMO and not being a driver I did my pre-drink on match days, 2-3 large cups @ the match and continued drinking sometimes post game. But found it hard to continue drinking in celebratory fashion when there was'nt much to celebrate.
Not one to sneak booze into BMO.
For some reason they/security are always eyeballing me from the gate to the seat.
I am not one to stand out in a crowd.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1083/5116798046_c843ec62fb.jpg
KD.

nobodybeatsthewiz
01-19-2011, 12:04 PM
I like drunk. Not drink.

one in the same, my man. im certain you like both.

Detroit_TFC
01-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Rarely leave the game drunk (long drive home), but I'm sad if I don't start the game well refreshed.

king dave
01-19-2011, 12:13 PM
"Oh my, a recent return to form by the 'Drinkers' have quickly put them back near the top of the bar. Now we have what is clearly shaping up to be a stumble to the finnish wine. The 'Drunkards' have clearly got to get their caps screwed on tight here as this is not going to be just another walk in the Highland Park."
KD.

king dave
01-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Always had a place to crash/hang for any supporters (I know), who are unable to safely/responsibely get back home after the match due to the obvious reasons, and will continue to do so.
But if you puke, shit or urinate in any other place but the bathroom @ the kingdom?
Well. I think you know what that score line will be
KD.

nobodybeatsthewiz
01-19-2011, 12:26 PM

HAHAHAHA!!! very well put davey.

Batman
01-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Always had a place to crash/hang for any supporters (I know), who are unable to safely/responsibely get back home after the match due to the obvious reasons, and will continue to do so.
But if you puke, shit or urinate in any other place but the bathroom @ the kingdom?
KD.

Sounds like a line from Sh*t my Dad Says. LOL

tfcleeds
01-19-2011, 12:28 PM
This thread is making me.....thirsty.

Good thing Leeds/Arsenal kickoff is only 2.5 hours away...drink will definitely be consumed.

Belfast_Boy
01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
This poll does not work for me. I do not drink regullarly, and I do not drink at games. I do drink wishkey, moslty scotch and some Irish, and wine, mostly Italian, and beer, but more high end and import stuff ( my favourite Canadian beers are from Quebec) so there is not much but water that I like to drink at games, unless they start walking aroud with Oban and shotglasses, with some guiness to chase it.

funny you should say that. someone brought Oban to the green protest game.

king dave
01-19-2011, 12:37 PM
This thread is making me.....thirsty.

Good thing Leeds/Arsenal kickoff is only 2.5 hours away...drink will definitely be consumed.
I take lunch @ 4. TK?
This is good.
KD.

king dave
01-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Sounds like a line from Sh*t my Dad Says. LOL
I have to be very close to your Dad's age I think, no?
I love maturity.
It's one of the few things you can't buy!
KD.

tfcleeds
01-19-2011, 12:43 PM
I take lunch @ 4. TK?
This is good.
KD.

Wish I could head up there, but I'll be downtown...

Parkdale
01-19-2011, 12:45 PM
I have to be very close to your Dad's age I think, no?

KD.

hahaha.... the fact it's batman makes this comment even better!

Yohan
01-19-2011, 12:49 PM

I've done many games sober, and a beer or two before the game loosens me up a little, but couple bottles of water during the game and I'm fine.

And Carlsberg sucks

king dave
01-19-2011, 12:55 PM
"Well the 'eous' has changed in a very dramatic way here now. The 'Drinkers' have laid claim @ the top, but only by the slimmest of margins.
As we approach the half-bottle, prepare for a second shot of ruff and tumbler action as I can't foresee this ending before the wee hours of the evening.
At the half bottle. It's neck and neck".
KD.

Belfast_Boy
01-19-2011, 01:00 PM
those of us that drink twice as much as normal people should get to vote twice.

king dave
01-19-2011, 01:07 PM

These are your own observations/opinions.
And I respect that Mike. Serious.

Although I rarely did any games 'stone' sober last year, I noticed two things too

a) the games were shit for the most part
b) the supporters were 100X more entertaining

I had fun at the games because there were people in the stands who wanted to have fun supporting a football club as much as I did.
Most, believe it or not, were not drinking.
An since when are you a meteorologist?:D
KD.

king dave
01-19-2011, 01:08 PM
I know kittys password and I did:D
KD.

Carts
01-19-2011, 01:08 PM

Does that mean I get 25 votes...?

Carts... :drinking:

tfcleeds
01-19-2011, 01:10 PM
"Well the 'eous' has changed in a very dramatic way here now. The 'Drinkers' have laid claim @ the top, but only by the slimmest of margins.
As we approach the half-bottle, prepare for a second shot of ruff and tumbler action as I can't foresee this ending before the wee hours of the evening.
At the half bottle. It's neck and neck".
KD.

Haha, yes, the "ethos" of this contest definitely seems to be changing...

(Anyone who watched the Merseyside derby this past weekend should get that)

king dave
01-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Does that mean I get 25 votes...?

Carts... :drinking:
Your a mod man!?!?
Fix it:wink5:!
KD.

Belfast_Boy
01-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Your a mod man!?!?
Fix it:wink5:!
KD.

agreed! why have the power if you can't abuse it!

Belfast_Boy
01-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Haha, yes, the "ethos" of this contest definitely seems to be changing...

(Anyone who watched the Merseyside derby this past weekend should get that)

and I'd like to add that the "ethos" of that group watching was effected by booze as well as the football.

king dave
01-19-2011, 01:25 PM
"What a race, what a race. No one could have predicted such a squeaker.
Both Campofiorins locked in a dead heat to the finnish wine.
A truly wonderful dash of all dashes.
My goodness. Stay loched in as we await the end to what has been a truly, truly been a wonderful thread"
KD.

Ben - D.O.W.
01-19-2011, 01:28 PM
I've done many games sober, and a beer or two before the game loosens me up a little, but couple bottles of water during the game and I'm fine.

And Carlsberg sucks

Which is why I was pumped last year when for a couple of the games they brought Tuborg into the stands. As for a couple of beers to loosen up before hand - I've gone to games sober and had a blast, but I also tend not to be nearly as vocal. I find for myself that a full game day experience needs a beer or two at least, otherwise I'm too self conscious to start chants, etc (we can't all sit in 112 and get lost in the crowd after all).

Of course that's just my own personal experience.

Carts
01-19-2011, 01:29 PM
agreed! why have the power if you can't abuse it!

I'm running for mayor with the hwiwhgnoan campaign, I can't have that kind of scandal!

A scandal would change the ethos of my campaign completely...

Parkdale
01-19-2011, 01:30 PM
a) the games were shit for the most part
b) the supporters were 100X more entertaining

very true Davey.

king dave
01-19-2011, 01:43 PM
very true Davey.
Davey just called in.
The booze bizz is slow right now at the shop.
Historically things pick up around St. Valentines Day.
I don't think this thread is reason to be alarmed about security @ BMO this season.
The security has never been any thing close to consistant for any length of time.
And where do you think the security issue rates at the moment when the FO is scrambling to produce an 'edible loaf of bread' from an oven that they can't figure how to plug in?
I am out of beer. Back soon.
KD.

king dave
01-19-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm running for mayor with the hwiwhgnoan campaign, I can't have that kind of scandal!

So how many votes do I get John?
KD.

Technorgasm
01-19-2011, 01:58 PM
and I'd like to add that the "ethos" of that group watching was effected by booze as well as the football.

the Ethos fo this race has definitley changd.
In fact I am shocked the drunkards are getting such a good run hre.

The 4th official has indicated there will be a minimum of 4 additional hours of ROOT CANAL. . .

Is it game time yet?

BFin

I've been looking for a justification for my afternoon drinking for the past couple years, and I think I just found it.

Double votes.

king dave
Now I can get into my pyjamas and get ready for the match.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5004/5370172783_ee3f105151_b.jpg

I love football!
KD.

Mark in Ottawa
I know few guys who drive in for the games from 2-3 hours away and have 1 maybe 2 drinks for obvious reasons. Makes for a very long day, win OR lose.
KD.
That would be us... the 75 Mile Bastards!
We enjoy a brown pop or two but unless we have a designated driver that's it.

I personally rarely drink at the stadium.
Too expensive and I usually don't like the selections.

BFin
01-19-2011, 01:59 PM

Please do not tread on Carts' mayoral campaign.

All further inquiries regarding the campaign can be directed to my inbox.

"The future is hwiwhgnoan. Fear not and think not about those who look back my friend." - JP McCartney - Mayor Elect

king dave
01-19-2011, 02:01 PM
C'mon Leeds!!!
Fuck the Londoners.
Oh by the way, my favorite player in the world played for Leeds United.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5204/5370812586_a67b7d186e_z.jpg

KD.

king dave
01-19-2011, 02:23 PM
I think the mods are padding the votes now.
Fucking mods:D
Always prefered the 'Rockers' myself.
KD.

tfcleeds
01-19-2011, 02:29 PM
C'mon Leeds!!!
Fuck the Londoners.
Oh by the way, my favorite player in the world played for Leeds United.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5204/5370812586_a67b7d186e_z.jpg

KD.

Robert Snodgrass is your favourite player? Awesome pic though!

Ben - D.O.W.
01-19-2011, 02:30 PM
One question for the 45 drinkers - why pay $10/beer to drink at the game, but not get drunk? You really like the taste of Carlsberg that much?

king dave
01-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Robert Snodgrass is your favourite player?
Played. Played man!
Although Snoddy is very similar.
KD.

Technorgasm
01-19-2011, 02:32 PM
I think it has been widely agreed, that the Drunks drink before after AND during.. .
wioth a high percentage of them doing some soft of smuggling HAHA. . .

RedsYNWA
01-19-2011, 02:33 PM
I'm drunk right now :)

BFin
01-19-2011, 02:40 PM
One question for the 45 drinkers - why pay $10/beer to drink at the game, but not get drunk? You really like the taste of Carlsberg that much?

Try having 3 or 4 large Carlsberg's after a tailgate and tell me you're not drunk.

king dave
01-19-2011, 02:44 PM
As PB said months back.
" . . keeping in line with the price of entertainment in Toronto".
I never judge anyones' choices about how they spend their $$.
At BMO, Costco, Real Sports Bar, ACC, Fabricland, Rhino, Joe's et all.
Always, always, always respect the person (shits/giggles aside).
And he/they will respect you.
Now C'mon LEEDS step on their fucking throats.
London is a shithole!
London is a shithole!
LA, LA LA-LA!
KD.

king dave
01-19-2011, 02:46 PM
I think it has been widely agreed, that the Drunks drink before after AND during.. .
wioth a high percentage of them doing some soft of smuggling HAHA. . .
I like that! It's a keeper!
KD.

king dave
01-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Try having 3 or 4 large Carlsberg's after a tailgate and tell me you're not drunk.
Tall boys?
I usually have 4 before I start ironing flags and seams for the 2-sticks. 10 am.
Not to mention the 12-16 game day banners I have to prepare.
All the while watching 2 EPL games in the background which can be very distracting combined with the constant yelling from my roommate to "Be quiet I'm trying to sleep" and throw in the Gary Glitter Greatest Hits CD I put on to mask the noise.
Tallboys?
Sure. I'll take a half dozen please.
KD.

Technorgasm
01-19-2011, 02:55 PM
THe bottle of Glenfiddich in my desk might have to get cracked if this keeps up. . . .

COME ON LEEDS!. . . . . good town to go Drink. I like drink.

PS. .

Its good to be back!

rocker
01-19-2011, 02:57 PM

I don't drink at TFC games, at least not since 2008.. before or after the game.. waste of money. And I enjoy the games a lot (well, when they don't suck). I think I'm too addicted to TFC NOT to enjoy being at BMO. I actually heckle players more than the drunks do. Plus, when I drink I get too mellow, so there's no reason to do that at BMO.

Ben - D.O.W.
01-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Ah see from KD I was under the impression that the drunks were those voting the first option and drinkers were the second (drinking at the game but not getting drunk). I get the appeal of the first, not so much the second. Getting drunk at the game? No issue with that.

Parkdale
01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
so what's the big game this afternoon lads?

http://www.om.net/fr/Saison/102006/Calendrier_Resultats/1124/Auxerre_OM

:ihih:

king dave
01-19-2011, 03:04 PM
so what's the big game this afternoon lads?

http://www.om.net/fr/Saison/102006/Calendrier_Resultats/1124/Auxerre_OM

:ihih:
FA cup man.
You seriously think the French know football let alone drink at the matches?
Ecre-eeble!!
RD.

king dave
01-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Still early.
Fuck Nasri, fuck Wenger too.
Stadium sounds like a Who concert!
Fuck it's loud!!!!
KD.

king dave
01-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Getting back on-top here.
Good bet the home supporters are well juiced and focused on the match.
Never having been to a match there I can only speculate.
But that stadium sounds like several thousand supporters with one goal in mind, regardless of the alcohol.
That's it to me.
KD.

Technorgasm
01-19-2011, 03:17 PM
L'OM game not even listed on the live ESPN sheet. .

North Korea v Iraq in the Asia cup however. . . .
I wonder. . . what is the most drinks I have ever had on a TFC game day is. . . . .

I am affraid to guess. . .

BFin
01-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Tall boys?
I usually have 4 before I start ironing flags and seams for the 2-sticks. 10 am.
Not to mention the 12-16 game day banners I have to prepare.
All the while watching 2 EPL games in the background which can be very distracting combined with the constant yelling from my roommate to "Be quiet I'm trying to sleep" and throw in the Gary Glitter Greatest Hits CD I put on to mask the noise.
Tallboys?
Sure. I'll take a half dozen please.
KD.

You know me better than to think I am only ordering tall boys.

I meant 3 or 4 of the Large Draft beers during the game.

king dave
01-19-2011, 03:24 PM

I wonder. . . what is the most drinks I have ever had on a TFC game day is. . . . .

I can only speculate that one.
It's like "How many slices of pizza did you have when you crashed Peddies privat box?"
No idea kid.
I know how many bottles of Heiny I drank/shoved down my liederhosen though.
3 and 6.
KD.

king dave
01-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Cheers to Buck Rogers!
CCC, 2009.
KD.

nobodybeatsthewiz
01-19-2011, 03:33 PM

so.......after work pint??? huh? you ducking it? haha

king dave
01-19-2011, 03:36 PM
"Well the horse has taken a turn in the 'Drinkers' favour now.
Still lot's of backlash at either end. No idea on how this will play out now."
KD.

king dave
01-19-2011, 03:39 PM
YEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!
KD.

prizby
01-19-2011, 04:56 PM
sometimes yes, sometimes no

depends on the weather...a hot day is a terrible day to drink beer (and sing)...your throat gets really fucked up...made that mistake in philly

Brooker
01-19-2011, 05:08 PM
wheres the option for getting to games tanked?

I went to one game completely sober... when we lost to Vancouver 1-0 on Canada day. Never again.

king dave
01-19-2011, 05:50 PM
sometimes yes, sometimes no

depends on the weather...a hot day is a terrible day to drink beer (and sing)...your throat gets really fucked up...made that mistake in philly
Maybe you're not a singer but a drinker:D
KD.

king dave
01-19-2011, 06:11 PM
I have never seen a poll this close after 4 pages of dialogue.
Where is AL-MO???
KD.

Iheartdero
01-19-2011, 06:17 PM
tie game

king dave
01-19-2011, 06:18 PM
^thanks:rolleyes:
KD.

king dave
01-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Waiting for the Polish vote now!
KD.

king dave
01-19-2011, 06:21 PM
^Thanks Adam.
No darts for you!
KD.

SilverSamurai
01-19-2011, 06:36 PM
I've never drank anything alcoholic during any TFC games, either at the stadium or when watching at home.
Just not my thing, plus it's a ripoff. I'm more of a wine guy, but I drink wine to enjoy and savour it, not to get drunk. That's what rum and vodka are for. lol
Only "drink" I've ever had at BMO is hot coco, since some game days are cold!

gracos
01-19-2011, 06:37 PM
I dont need to drink, as I find it to entertaining when im sober, when i drink im usually out of it

madcow
01-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Love the thread, for some reason I'm craving beer now. Time to go the Granite and have some of their fine Peculiar.

Dave67
01-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Probably.. yes.. Lets just say I would not welcome a RIDE check to verify how I'm doing.

Brooker
01-19-2011, 07:15 PM
I dont need to drink, as I find it to entertaining when im sober

and what in the fuck stadium have you been going to watch soccer?

J .
01-19-2011, 07:26 PM
By halftime the Liquor is calling the shots buds

zeelaw
01-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Depends who I am with I guess. Girlfriend, naw not so much... With some friends... the referee is a whore!

jimiv
01-19-2011, 08:48 PM
I personally rarely drink at the stadium.
Too expensive and I usually don't like the selections.

+1

:drinking:

Oldtimer
01-19-2011, 08:58 PM
I've never drank anything alcoholic during any TFC games, either at the stadium or when watching at home.
Just not my thing, plus it's a ripoff. I'm more of a wine guy, but I drink wine to enjoy and savour it, not to get drunk.

+1 I like fine wine, I actually dislike beer.

ManUtd4ever
01-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Fine wine is perfect for dinner with the wife.

Beer is perfect for footy.

:cheers:

Technorgasm
01-19-2011, 09:36 PM
what in the fuck is goin on in HERE??!!!

DRUNKARDS!
assemmmbbllleee!!!

TFC14
01-19-2011, 09:46 PM
http://deadspin.com/5737805/sports-fans-are-all-a-bunch-of-drunks

"A new study shows that eight percent of sports fans are legally drunk when they leave the game. This comes as a great disappointment to public safety officials, as well as beer distributors. Just eight percent?"

Batman
01-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Fine wine is perfect for dinner with the wife.

Beer is perfect for footy.

:cheers:

ditto

king dave
01-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Awaiting orders Sir!
Still close.
But wait till the west coast polls close.
KD.

Rocco
01-19-2011, 10:08 PM
i was born drunk...

AL-MO
01-19-2011, 10:41 PM
I have never seen a poll this close after 4 pages of dialogue.
Where is AL-MO???
KD.

Right here!

Is it wrong if I smiled when I read the quote about "Soccer Fans" being the worst in the paper? I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

I don't get too tanked @ games, but I like to enjoy a few cold ones before the game as well as after.

David_Oliveira
01-19-2011, 10:47 PM
I have a ritual. Medium pint during the pregame and then I get a second beer from the vendor in the second half.

Darlofletch
01-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Davey just called in.
The booze bizz is slow right now at the shop.
Historically things pick up around St. Valentines Day.
I don't think this thread is reason to be alarmed about security @ BMO this season.
The security has never been any thing close to consistant for any length of time.
And where do you think the security issue rates at the moment when the FO is scrambling to produce an 'edible loaf of bread' from an oven that they can't figure how to plug in?
I am out of beer. Back soon.
KD.

given new management, would that be a dutch oven (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dutch%20oven)?

nascarguy
01-20-2011, 12:07 AM
you have to be dunk to watch TFC , leafs & raptor's play they play better that way

nascarguy
01-20-2011, 12:09 AM
what in the fuck is goin on in HERE??!!!

DRUNKARDS!
assemmmbbllleee!!!
:flare::flare::flare::flare::drinking::drinking::d rinking::drinking::flare::flare::flare::flare:

London
01-20-2011, 12:09 AM
you have to be dunk to watch TFC , leafs & raptor's play they play better that way

same goes for Nascar, the race and the guy:D:D

squarehead
01-20-2011, 01:13 AM
a similar story ran in the star, and they mentions us (indirectly)

http://mobile.thestar.com/mobile/NEWS/article/924205

notice that (Exhibition Place) is in brackets? What are the odds the actually said BMO, or just TFC?

I live above the bar the manager of which is quoted... Howie is an asshole of extreme proportions

Waggy
01-20-2011, 01:29 AM
Maybe you're not a singer but a drinker:D
KD.

Is that a Chumbawumba reference?! Awesome

Parkdale
01-20-2011, 08:42 AM
FYI - BMO sells cans of strongbow at some of the vending carts.

that makes my girlfriend happy. She's not a beer drinker*

*well not when there's a better option

Brooker
01-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Where? I can't find them anywhere and anytime I ask they say they don't sell it. Even after I point to the banner near gate 3... they just shrug their shoulders... bah

I also want to lead a protest that if you're employed by BMO Field and under the age of 30 you cannot step anywhere near the beer taps. Danke.

jaahuuu
01-20-2011, 11:09 AM

How's that working for her?

When I have a strongbow or 2 at joes before the game i'm fine, when I have one at bmo I want to puke about 10 minutes after i've finished it.

Technorgasm
01-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Drunks getting beaten by 12. . . . I am dissapointed in all of you. . .

Suds
01-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Drunks getting beaten by 12. . . . I am dissapointed in all of you. . .

yeah, but we're usually twice as drunk as the people in the other groups so our votes count as two :D :drinking:

Yeoman
01-20-2011, 06:38 PM
can't drink at the games anymore
remember the last time i drank, and tried to drum? you guys were booing me

gracos
01-20-2011, 10:37 PM
and what in the fuck stadium have you been going to watch soccer?
The fans,not the soccer, yet when i go, TFC hasnt lost

flatpicker
01-20-2011, 11:14 PM
The fans,not the soccer, yet when i go, TFC hasnt lost

You can't judge the experience of a TFC match based on one game!

;)

Redcoe15
01-22-2011, 03:23 AM
I'm drunk already. What the fuck is your point?????

flatpicker
01-22-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm not usually drunk by the end of a game.
That tends to occur later, after some time spent at Joe's.

FluSH
01-22-2011, 04:13 PM
@ $12 a beer... Anyone who gets drunk at games has some serious $$$$$

Heart of Stone
01-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Don't buy cans at BMO during first home game of season ... they will be selling off cans stored since last season... noted this last year...

Kyle_121
01-24-2011, 01:33 PM
The beer in the cans is already 2 years old to begin with, another 6 months ain't gonna hurt!

king dave
01-26-2011, 01:27 PM
The beer in the cans is already 2 years old to begin with, another 6 months ain't gonna hurt!
:lol:
KD.

Carts
01-26-2011, 04:22 PM
@ $12 a beer... Anyone who gets drunk at games has some serious $$$$$

Thanks!

BFin
02-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Two words: Cross-Promotion.

Two alternative words: Toronto Rock.

phonzo
02-03-2011, 11:38 AM
carlsberg, rock, ticats?

BFin
02-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Triple play. Get on it TSN.

phonzo
02-03-2011, 11:54 AM
wendy's as the sponsor

BFin
02-03-2011, 12:03 PM
http://www.wager.ca/wendy.bmp

razor787
02-04-2011, 01:07 AM

For the strongbow drinkers (like me) strongbow should be fine. At the MLS Cup they werent selling it, so my guess is that they were out, or else they would have just sold off whatever they had left.

nascarguy
02-04-2011, 09:00 AM
The last time I had carlsberg at bmo was when the sold carlsberg red on tap the 1st season. But after the 1st season then stop selling it so I stop buying that shit.

BFin
02-04-2011, 04:44 PM
The last time I had carlsberg at bmo was when the sold carlsberg red on tap the 1st season. But after the 1st season then stop selling it so I stop buying that shit.
What?

Pretty sure the taps are 90% Carlsberg in BMO.

Redcoe15
02-05-2011, 03:03 AM
I'm drunk already. What's you're... Wait a minute. I've already posted this shit. :o :D

nascarguy
02-05-2011, 09:43 AM
What?

Pretty sure the taps are 90% Carlsberg in BMO.
it was on a tap at the Beer garden

BFin
02-07-2011, 10:16 AM
I am still very confused.

It is also on the taps outside of 111, 112, 113, 114....etc.

P-NUTZ
02-07-2011, 12:24 PM
having beer and watching sports go perfectly together.

and, i would like to take this opportunity to thank beer - it has helped me survive 4 tfc seasons so far.

Alixir
02-07-2011, 06:52 PM
and, i would like to take this opportunity to thank beer - it has helped me survive 4 tfc seasons so far.Lol..I would like to thank the pot as it has kept me from breaking things over the last 4 tfc seasons.

Mark TFC
02-11-2011, 12:25 AM
I like to get my drink on but I'm usually not drunk at TFC games. High on the other hand...

Technorgasm
02-18-2011, 09:24 AM
more people need to help the DRUNKS win this pole. . . its as simple as that.

Suds
02-18-2011, 10:29 AM
This poll just shows I'm seriously disappointed in 35 people.

Prawn_Solo
02-25-2011, 05:15 PM
It is a drunk stumble home. I'd have it no other way.

Technorgasm
03-07-2011, 03:18 PM
are you drunk right now?

P-NUTZ
03-10-2011, 04:56 PM
drinking is what allows me to survive these games, otherwise i would completely lose it. looks like it's gonna be more of the same this year...
"yes bartender, another please. Next time dont even ask. Keep serving me until i stop crying."