PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Wednesday,Jan.19

denime
01-19-2011, 06:22 AM
Mornin'

Reds Select Four More Tuesday (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/reds-select-four-more-tuesday)

De Guzman seeks fresh start after knee surgery (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/de-guzman-seeks-fresh-start-after-knee-surgery)

Canada gearing up for World Cup (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/nigelreed/2011/01/canada-must-put-its-house-in-order.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Oldtimer
01-19-2011, 06:29 AM
Hopeful that with his injuries out of the way, a new regime, and a change in style to a much more compatible style, that we'll finally start to see a La Liga JDG instead of a weak imitation.

colman1860
01-19-2011, 06:31 AM
Nice spin in the DeGuzman article.

"Unaware of his injury, fans and media criticized de Guzman as his play sputtered and his team recorded a six-game winless streak between Aug. 11 and Sept. 18."

Most people's criticism started about 4 months earlier, but let's not ruin a good story with mundane things like facts...

Batman
01-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Here's a bit more on Beattie from his college locale.

Beattie selected by Toronto FC in MLS draft (http://www.thenortherner.com/?p=7895)

http://www.thenortherner.com/?p=7895

Carts
01-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Nice spin in the DeGuzman article.

"Unaware of his injury, fans and media criticized de Guzman as his play sputtered and his team recorded a six-game winless streak between Aug. 11 and Sept. 18."

Most people's criticism started about 4 months earlier, but let's not ruin a good story with mundane things like facts...

I agree, its not just TFC, MLSE, or JDG, even the league itself has jumped into the PR pool to try and resurrect Julian de Guzman...

Not the best way to run a professional sports league, but what can ya do...

But like I said yesterday, I hope with new management, new players around him, recovery from surgery, he steps up and excels and becomes a superstar for us...

I want to win, I want TFC to win, and for that to happen we need everyone playing at their highest level - I hope for that sake JDG makes me personally eat my words / criticism and we march on up the table...

Carts...

Oldtimer
01-19-2011, 08:14 AM
JDG will always struggle against the physicality of the league, as well as the taller players overall than Spain. However, if the team plays a strong possession game, that may be less of a problem, and we'll see more of the upside of his play. No question, he has been a disappointment for TFC, as much as he's been great for the CMNT and Depor.

Phil
01-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Eric Cantona takes job at NY Cosmos.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9366577.stm

Oldtimer
01-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Eric Cantona takes job at NY Cosmos.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9366577.stm

They are going to go big with the Cosmos... just a feeling.

I wonder how much MLS will bend parity in order to give New Yorkers a big team? I can't see LA standing for that! Also, MLS was founded on not repeating the mistake of having the Cosmos dominate the league (The Cosmos won 2/3 of their matches over the years).

maninb
01-19-2011, 09:01 AM
That dope who is trying to get the Cosomos says he wants to be "ONE of the biggest clubs in the WORLD"??? LMAO!!! What a stuttering simpleton...

jabbronies
01-19-2011, 09:24 AM
That dope who is trying to get the Cosomos says he wants to be "ONE of the biggest clubs in the WORLD"??? LMAO!!! What a stuttering simpleton...

Well if this is going to happen the Cosmos will need to financially carry the rest of the league on it's back in order to bring them to that level. Otherwise - NASL all over again.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2011, 09:33 AM
it wont happen and if it does it wont be for a long time. i have serious doubts the rest of the teams, let alone Garber is willing to sacrafice the league for the cosmos

ManUtd4ever
01-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Well if this is going to happen the Cosmos will need to financially carry the rest of the league on it's back in order to bring them to that level. Otherwise - NASL all over again.

At best, the NY Cosmos can take advantage of the 3 DP slots to field the most talented lineup possible, but that's about it. Since teams can't spend their way towards a championship (or into oblivion), there will always be parity in MLS, which is crucial to the survival of the league in North America. The key differences between the old NASL and MLS are the salary cap and mandatory soccer specific stadiums, which has set the league on a very positive trajectory...

Batman
01-19-2011, 09:45 AM
"The Cosmos are very strong, beautifully made, with a great past," added Cantona.

Ok, I can buy the "past" statement, but "stong, beautifully made"?

They have 2 academies, no team, no league, no stadium.
What is that all about?

bgnewf
01-19-2011, 09:47 AM
I think the issue for the Cosmos is going to be one that the Red Bulls dealt with for a long time, namely getting a soccer specific stadium built in Manhattan.

There is no way they will want to share Red Bull Arena (assuming Red Bull would even entertain the idea. And they won't!) and have the glitterati go to Joisey.

And getting a patch of land to build a ground on the island of Manhattan is going to be the deal breaker. I hope they have a half billion in cash lying around.

CBTFC
01-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Good point bgnewf. And I believe Jay-Z is first in line when it comes acquiring a parcel of land for a sports venue (re: New Jersey Nets to Brooklyn).

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2011, 09:58 AM
What about the Wilpon's who supposedly have a chunk of land next to Met's stadium in Queens (i think)

Beach_Red
01-19-2011, 10:00 AM
I think the issue for the Cosmos is going to be one that the Red Bulls dealt with for a long time, namely getting a soccer specific stadium built in Manhattan.

There is no way they will want to share Red Bull Arena (assuming Red Bull would even entertain the idea. And they won't!) and have the glitterati go to Joisey.

And getting a patch of land to build a ground on the island of Manhattan is going to be the deal breaker. I hope they have a half billion in cash lying around.

Not necessarily. The issue is soccer. If it can be big enough the stadium can be almost anywhere, the NFL has proven that. Remember when the Jets first started they played at various stadiums and couldn't give tickets away. But as the NFL grew so did they and now they sell out a stadium in New Jersey.

I know it looks far away now but it's possible that soccer could be big in the USA. The guy who thinks the Cosmos can be one of the biggest teams in the world could be right, afterall New York is one of the biggest cities.

But yeah, you're right, it'll help if they have a billion dolars lying around.

Roogsy
01-19-2011, 10:05 AM
I don't necessarily agree about the Manhattan stadium. There is but one sports complex in Manhattan, and that is MSG. Everything else in NY is in the suburbs.

If I were the Cosmos, I would look at something in Brooklyn or Queens.

As for RB Arena, I am not familiar with the situation, but would they really not want to share the complex? I don't understand why not. LA shares theirs, yes it hasn't been ideal but it's possible. The Meadowlands has always been shared by multiple sports franchises. I would have thought it would have at least been a viable idea to look at.

If the "Milans" can do it, why can't NY?

Whoop
01-19-2011, 10:07 AM
It's done more often than you think in NA.

Aside from the traditional hockey/basketball sharing, the Clippers and Lakers share the Staples Center.

But Roogsy's example of the Meadowlands is the best one in NA.

Beach_Red
01-19-2011, 10:10 AM
I don't necessarily agree about the Manhattan stadium. There is but one sports complex in Manhattan, and that is MSG. Everything else in NY is in the suburbs.

As for RB Arena, I am not familiar with the situation, but would they really not want to share the complex? I don't understand why not. LA shares theirs, yes it hasn't been ideal but it's possible. The Meadowlands has always been shared by multiple sports franchises. I would have thought it would have at least been a viable idea to look at.

Because likely there will be some big real estate deal tied up in it and the sports team isn't even the driving force behind it. Even Red Bull Arena was part of a much bigger deal - just most of the rest of it fell through.

Roogsy
01-19-2011, 10:16 AM
All the more reason for NYRB to want to share. More events at RB Arena means more reason why businesses would want to invest in the complex.

C.Ronaldo
01-19-2011, 10:20 AM
I completely forgot the clippers even exist

Beach_Red
01-19-2011, 10:36 AM
All the more reason for NYRB to want to share. More events at RB Arena means more reason why businesses would want to invest in the complex.

If they share in that part of the revenue. But you know it'll be some big, complicated real estate deal involving levels of government, zoning changes, land expropriation and so on. The sports team is just thrown in to try and get at least a portion of the public onside :D.

Wull
01-19-2011, 10:46 AM
I feel the SSG is worthy of a mention here! Cute as fuck

Davenport
01-19-2011, 10:48 AM

Queens would be the best and one and only spot. A massive Latin population who support their local team.
Look at the Mets and their support, and they're crap.

Roogsy
01-19-2011, 10:53 AM
A spot in Brooklyn would get the same Queens crowd and some of the Manhattan crowd.

There are advantages and disadvantages to either.

My guess is that a Queens location would have better access to expressways and be cheaper for example.

Brooklyn is more central, has better views and has more train lines.

And so on and so forth.

Boris
01-19-2011, 10:57 AM
A spot in Brooklyn would get the same Queens crowd and some of the Manhattan crowd.

There are advantages and disadvantages to either.

My guess is that a Queens location would have better access to expressways and be cheaper for example.

Brooklyn is more central, has better views and has more train lines.

And so on and so forth.

hmmmm.
new york is a weird crowd.
They dont like leaving their barrio's

mastermixer
01-19-2011, 10:59 AM
^How awesome would it be if they added a MLS team for each borough? Its not like they don't have the population to support it. And its also not like they need as much financial backing as other major league teams.

Queens - 2.3 million
Bronx - 1.4 million
Brooklyn - 2.5 million

Can you imagine the derby's they would have! lol

Boris
01-19-2011, 11:01 AM
^How awesome would it be if they added a MLS team for each borough? Its not like they don't have the population to support it. And its also not like they need as much financial backing as other major league teams.

Queens - 2.3 million
Bronx - 1.4 million
Brooklyn - 2.5 million

Can you imagine the derby's they would have! lol

that would be intense.

Roogsy
01-19-2011, 11:03 AM
hmmmm.
new york is a weird crowd.
They dont like leaving their barrio's

Sorry to disagree but I used to live in NY and this is pretty inaccurate.

Waggy
01-19-2011, 11:11 AM
I completely forgot the clippers even exist

Even if they didn't beat the Heat and Lakers in 5 days last week, if you haven't seen or heard of Blake Griffin and you're a sports fan I don't even know what to say
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gG4W0L41FI

Redcoe15
01-19-2011, 11:22 AM
They are going to go big with the Cosmos... just a feeling.

I wonder how much MLS will bend parity in order to give New Yorkers a big team? I can't see LA standing for that! Also, MLS was founded on not repeating the mistake of having the Cosmos dominate the league (The Cosmos won 2/3 of their matches over the years).
No fucking way MLS will change its ways to accomodate the Cosmos like that. If the Cosmos, or whatever NYC2 team, enters the league, they have to play by the same rules everyone else does. If not, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. At least that's what Garber should be saying.

The hiring of Eric Cantona reeks of attention seeking publicity, and not of any serious soccer business sense. Seriously, what can Cantona bring that will greatly benefit this phantom team and not embarass it?

Alixir
01-19-2011, 11:23 AM

Can you imagine the derby's they would have! lol they have the population yes...but not enough of a soccer loving population in my opinion.

Redcoe15
01-19-2011, 11:28 AM

The heads of the supporters group, the Borough Babies, would explode Scanners style. One of their big reasons for not supporting NYRB is it's in New Jersey, and they don't want to have to travel into another area to support a team they don't believe is theirs.

Redcoe15
01-19-2011, 11:29 AM
And the SSG? Two words: Jail. Bait!

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Seriously, what can Cantona bring that will greatly benefit this phantom team and not embarass it?

drop kicks?

McBrace
01-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Popped Collars?

Wull
01-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Seagulls?

Parkdale
01-19-2011, 12:55 PM
re: Cosmos location

take it back to Downing Stadium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downing_Stadium) on Randall's Island (http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&q=Randall%27s+Island,+New+York,+NY,+United+States&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Randall%27s+Island&t=h&z=14). The Cosmo's used to play there, and it's just sitting... waiting for redevelopment.

The site was considered for a 48,000 capacity soccer specific stadium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_specific_stadium), based on the design of the City of Manchester Stadium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Manchester_Stadium), had the New York City bid for the 2012 Summer Olympics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_bid_for_the_2012_Summer_Olympics) been successful. The plan was shelved when New York lost out to London (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London).

after looking at the map a bit more.... it's a perfect spot (considering I know nothing about New York). It's right near Laguardia, so getting there is easy. Sure it's pretty close to Harlem, but I think Harlem is a lot nicer than it was a decade or two ago.

scooter
01-19-2011, 01:00 PM
mornin d in the aftenoon

C.Ronaldo
01-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Even if they didn't beat the Heat and Lakers in 5 days last week, if you haven't seen or heard of Blake Griffin and you're a sports fan I don't even know what to say
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gG4W0L41FI

He plays for the clippers? LOL

I actually did hear of him.

I think I forgot more that the clippers are based out of L.A than anything.

But basketball isnt my cup of tea

Shway
01-19-2011, 01:18 PM
excuse me if this was posted already, but its a very good read, with points I heavily agree with.

MLS Promotion and Relegation: A Realistic Model for How It Can Happen
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/577173-promotion-and-relegation-in-mls-how-it-can-realistically-happen/page/1

Shway
01-19-2011, 01:23 PM
re: Cosmos location

take it back to Downing Stadium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downing_Stadium) on Randall's Island (http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&q=Randall%27s+Island,+New+York,+NY,+United+States&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Randall%27s+Island&t=h&z=14). The Cosmo's used to play there, and it's just sitting... waiting for redevelopment.

after looking at the map a bit more.... it's a perfect spot (considering I know nothing about New York). It's right near Laguardia, so getting there is easy. Sure it's pretty close to Harlem, but I think Harlem is a lot nicer than it was a decade or two ago.

good observation,

i never even heard about the NY Olympic bid, and that site is almost perfect

Parkdale
01-19-2011, 01:29 PM
good observation,

i never even heard about the NY Olympic bid, and that site is almost perfect

you rarely hear about the ones that fail.

Plus that island is on the Brooklyn side of Manhattan, and the RedBulls are over on the jersey side (well IN jersey). That would be a good way to ensure a cross town rivalry.

just who knows if there's any money to build a stadium there? Certainly, aiming for a 50,000 seat SSS would be the best way to go ahead.

JonO
01-19-2011, 01:34 PM
after looking at the map a bit more.... it's a perfect spot (considering I know nothing about New York). It's right near Laguardia, so getting there is easy.
There's nothing easy about getting to/from laguardia. From what I can tell, the only public transport to the island and a bus from Manhattan. Yikes!

scooter
01-19-2011, 01:38 PM
No fucking way MLS will change its ways to accomodate the Cosmos like that. If the Cosmos, or whatever NYC2 team, enters the league, they have to play by the same rules everyone else does. If not, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. At least that's what Garber should be saying.

The hiring of Eric Cantona reeks of attention seeking publicity, and not of any serious soccer business sense. Seriously, what can Cantona bring that will greatly benefit this phantom team and not embarass it?

he is not a man he is cantona

Parkdale
01-19-2011, 01:41 PM
well that is something that would have to be worked out.

I did some digging, and they setup the travelling Cirque de Soleil tents there. There must be parking. Maybe shuttle buses?

C.Ronaldo
01-19-2011, 02:19 PM
^ probably a ferry

Roogsy
01-19-2011, 02:21 PM
There's nothing easy about getting to/from laguardia. From what I can tell, the only public transport to the island and a bus from Manhattan. Yikes!

There is a train line that runs to about 5 minutes away from the airport. You have to take a bus to the airport but it's like a 5 minute ride. I think you could even walk it, although I am not sure many would want to.

Juanito
01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
I agree, its not just TFC, MLSE, or JDG, even the league itself has jumped into the PR pool to try and resurrect Julian de Guzman...

Not the best way to run a professional sports league, but what can ya do...

But like I said yesterday, I hope with new management, new players around him, recovery from surgery, he steps up and excels and becomes a superstar for us...

I want to win, I want TFC to win, and for that to happen we need everyone playing at their highest level - I hope for that sake JDG makes me personally eat my words / criticism and we march on up the table...

Carts...

Oh dear god, here we go with another Carts rant against De Guzmán! ;)

Seriously, if he has a great 2011, I will take back all the crap I've said about him.

Beach_Red
01-19-2011, 03:05 PM
excuse me if this was posted already, but its a very good read, with points I heavily agree with.

MLS Promotion and Relegation: A Realistic Model for How It Can Happen
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/577173-promotion-and-relegation-in-mls-how-it-can-realistically-happen/page/1

Once the salary cap is gone and NY and LA are firmly established as big teams no more in danger of being relegated than the top European teams are in their leagues and this will only affect small market teams, sure who cares, relegate Columbus and promote Rochester.

reggie
01-19-2011, 03:36 PM
good interview with DEMI on cbc metro morning.
sori dont have the link.

moralis
01-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Found the link to Demetrius Omphroy's interview with CBC Metro Morning:

http://www.cbc.ca/metromorning/2011/...-defender.html (http://www.cbc.ca/metromorning/2011/01/powerful-defender.html)

reggie
01-19-2011, 04:15 PM
thanks X 2

ManUtd4ever
01-19-2011, 08:23 PM
It looks like Queens is the preferred destination for the NY Cosmos. I think it's ideal...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/924663--no-franchise-but-cosmos-management-is-a-dream-team

MLS wants its 20th team to be based in New York—the current team in the area, the New York Red Bulls, who feature former Arsenal and France striker Thierry Henry, are based in New Jersey.

The major problem facing the Cosmos is the issue of a stadium.

“Like any potential owner for an MLS expansion team in New York, they need to finalize a plan for a stadium, that is clearly a significant obstacle but they are working hard on it,” said Courtemanche.

“We are certainly working hard to find a solution for a stadium for a potential team and it could be where it is a partnership with various groups, maybe one group comes in on the stadium and another on the team.

“There continue to remain multiple scenarios for what could occur for that 20th team.”

The focus is on the borough of Queens and MLS have held meetings in the past with the Wilpon family, owner of the New York Mets baseball team.

“We do not have a stadium location yet but we are working on it with potential investors, including the Cosmos, and we do believe Queens would be a very successful location for an MLS expansion team,” said Courtemanche.

Kaz
01-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Downing Stadium was torn down years ago and has been redeveloped. It's a track and field venue now.

Roogsy
01-20-2011, 12:45 AM
It looks like Queens is the preferred destination for the NY Cosmos. I think it's ideal...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/924663--no-franchise-but-cosmos-management-is-a-dream-team

Damn I'm good...

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2011, 07:56 AM
thats 'we' roogsy (i said the samehting in another thread)

Cashcleaner
01-20-2011, 02:07 PM

The more I look at the Cosmos, the more I get the feeling it's an organization that exists only to exist. I mean, they've got the clothes and merch all lined up, got a nice new website up and running. There's plenty of photos and videos, and....then what? Like you said, it's a phantom team - just like the Toronto Legacy from a few years back.

Remember them? Exactly.

Of course, all anyone needs to do is show the league the cash and a franchise will be awarded, but at the moment I'm just seeing smoke and mirrors. There is little of any substance behind the Cosmos organization.

But aside from that, has anyone been paying attention to Steven Beattie on Twitter?

"JUST GOT DRAFTED TO TORONTO F.C. Dream come true!!! Love the city. I have visited a couple of times."

Now THAT'S the sort attitude I like to hear.