PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Saturday,Jan.15

denime
01-15-2011, 06:27 AM
Mornin'

Winter Reiterates TFC Position (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/winter-reiterates-tfc-position)

New Regime Making Its Mark (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/new-regime-making-its-mark)

'La Platita' Promises Goals (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/la-platita-promises-goals)

MLS still plans changes in Canadian quota (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/01/11/sp-mls-canada.html)

Conway philosophical about Toronto FC trade (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/01/14/sp-tfc-jon-conway.html)

TFC says De Rosario's Scotland stint is over (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/01/14/sp-de-rosario.html)

TFC: Captain's stint in Scotland is over (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/tfc-captains-stint-in-scotland-is-over/article1870283/)

De Rosario not being loaned to Celtic, Toronto FC confirms (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/922222--de-rosario-not-being-loaned-to-celtic-toronto-fc-confirms)

TFC puts stop to DeRo to Celtic (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2011/01/14/16889381.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Suds
01-15-2011, 07:53 AM
The more I hear quotes from Winter and Mariner I'm happy at least the message from that part of the organization sounds professional. I feel that will translate into a much more professionally run club overall.

When I read from Winter speaking on later round MLS Draft picks saying "Past experience tells me that they can be anything they want,” Mariner said. “They are coming into a situation where they will have world-class coaching and will have a clean slate. It’s up to them." Or Winter on DeRo "My preference is for Dwayne to start the season with Toronto FC right from training camp. "We are making a fresh start and need a strong competitive camp. Dwayne is the captain and leader and needs to be part of building a new winning culture."

They way these guys speak shows higher level of understanding and approach to the game than we've heard from our management in the past. I'm feeling a sense of ease with this new management. I'm still in the cautious optimism group because of the clubs past history. (we haven't done anything yet) It's just refreshing to hear our club's management sound like pros in the game.

scooter
01-15-2011, 08:23 AM
mornin d

Technorgasm
01-15-2011, 08:27 AM
THis group DO look like they are taking things forward.
4 years is not a long time
certainly not long enough to expect any kind of results.
even in this leage. . . .with the restrictions we all know about.

Cant wait to get to BMO

ensco
01-15-2011, 08:43 AM
on the TFC website, Winter is quoted saying: "Celtic inquired about the possibility of extending Dwayne's time with them"

in the Star - "Later in the day, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment COO Tom Anselmi disputed reports that Celtic had made a play for De Rosario"

Why is Anselmi publicly contradicting his new hire? Why is he even talking about this?

This is not the way to get off on the right foot with the new management team.

Oldtimer
01-15-2011, 08:45 AM
on the TFC website, Winter is quoted saying: "Celtic inquired about the possibility of extending Dwayne's time with them"

in the Star - "Later in the day, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment COO Tom Anselmi disputed reports that Celtic had made a play for De Rosario"

Why is Anselmi publicly contradicting his new hire? Why is he even talking about this?

A "play" probably means to Anselmi not a loan, but a bid to purchase Duane, so it's not contradictory at all.

Oldtimer
01-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Omphroy's tweet:

@raaychelle (http://twitter.com/raaychelle) more than excited to go to Toronto. I can't wait to play in that kind of atmosphere. Proud to part of the reds.:drum::drum::drum:

http://twitter.com/MeatyTwit

menefreghista
01-15-2011, 08:58 AM
A "play" probably means to Anselmi not a loan, but a bid to purchase Duane, so it's not contradictory at all.

LOL.

anto7
01-15-2011, 09:21 AM
SSG tattoo is going to look really "lush" when she is about 40 and dropped a couple of babies.

boban
01-15-2011, 09:29 AM
SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)
WTF is that on her front body. I mean she's friggin 19 and already painted to shit. Do these kids even know what the fuck they are doing?!!

aboveandbeyond
01-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Tom anselmi should honestly just shut up / i mean seriously ..

he loves to get his mug front and centre for everything ..ever notice that ?

DOMIN8R
01-15-2011, 10:05 AM

Yeah, Duane.:rolleyes:

ManUtd4ever
01-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Omphroy's tweet:

:drum::drum::drum:

I don't recall a TFC draft pick being this outspoken about his excitement to come to Toronto. I'm really pulling for this kid!

tfcleeds
01-15-2011, 10:55 AM
SSG - again, not bad, shame about the tats.

Beach_Red
01-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Tom anselmi should honestly just shut up / i mean seriously ..

he loves to get his mug front and centre for everything ..ever notice that ?

So imagine what he's doing behind the scenes. Still, Mariner and Winter have enough experience to stop this kind of thing right away. Well, let's hope.

ag futbol
01-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Really though, tell Tom to go back to looking at the balance sheet ....

Nobody wants to hear quotes from you buddy!

Carts
01-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Really though, tell Tom to go back to looking at the balance sheet ....

Nobody wants to hear quotes from you buddy!

Then why do reporters keep asking him questions?

Beach_Red
01-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Then why do reporters keep asking him questions?

Because they know he'll say something he probably shouldn't and that could become a story?

Carts
01-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Because they know he'll say something he probably shouldn't and that could become a story?

100% correct...

If people truly didn't want to hear from him, they wouldn't comment or care when he does comment...

The more stink people make when someone is quoted, the more they will be quoted, over and over and over...

Beach_Red
01-15-2011, 12:15 PM
100% correct...

If people truly didn't want to hear from him, they wouldn't comment or care when he does comment...

The more stink people make when someone is quoted, the more they will be quoted, over and over and over...

People care what he says when he's contradicting the guy who's supposed to be running the team. It's not just that he comments, it's specifically what he says.

If he had said, "I don't know the details of the DeRo situation, that's being handled by Mariner and Winter," it wouldn't be a story. But because there is a history of meddling from these guys, his giving a different story of the events is something to be reported.

ManUtd4ever
01-15-2011, 12:21 PM
People care what he says when he's contradicting the guy who's supposed to be running the team. It's not just that he comments, it's specifically what he says.

If he had said, "I don't know the details of the DeRo situation, that's being handled by Mariner and Winter," it wouldn't be a story. But because there is a history of meddling from these guys, his giving a different story of the events is something to be reported.

As Oldtimer and I already mentioned, Anselmi hasn't contradicted anything Winter said. Celtic didn't offer DeRo a contract or try to negotiate a transfer fee, therefore they didn't "make a play" for him.

I do agree that Anselmi shouldn't comment on these matters anymore as to avoid this type of misintepretation and potential controversy...

Beach_Red
01-15-2011, 12:23 PM
^ Following this team can be like taking an advanced semantics course. I don't want to go back and study any more deconstructionists ;).

ensco
01-15-2011, 12:29 PM
As Oldtimer and I already mentioned, Anselmi hasn't contradicted anything Winter said. Celtic didn't offer DeRo a contract or try to negotiate a transfer fee, therefore they didn't "make a play" for him.

I do agree that Anselmi shouldn't comment on these matters anymore as to avoid this type of misintepretation and potential controversy...

You guys are stating this like it's a fact. It's one interpretation, and come on, it's pretty unlikely. He "disagreed" with what the reports said. The reports quoted Winter.

My interpretation is that Anselmi disagrees with the strategy worked out by Winter, which was to stroke Dero a bit by giving Dero the public acknowledgemnt that he was good enough for Celtic, because Anselmi thought this would cause more trouble and/or cost more money. It also may have become personal, not sure.

ag futbol
01-15-2011, 12:39 PM
I don't think it's going to be very long before we find out some of the former staff have been marginalized.

Leo is already gone, the writing should be on the wall for some of the others. Problem is (like a lot of Canadian Soccer) there's nowhere else to go!

Ossington Mental Youth
01-15-2011, 12:50 PM
my question is, why does it matter what anselmi thinks? hes not running the team
also isnt he leaving?
i fail to see what impact outside of looking like an asshole, this has

ManUtd4ever
01-15-2011, 12:54 PM
You guys are stating this like it's a fact. It's one interpretation, and come on, it's pretty unlikely. He "disagreed" with what the reports said. The reports quoted Winter.

My interpretation is that Anselmi disagrees with the strategy worked out by Winter, which was to stroke Dero a bit by giving Dero the public acknowledgemnt that he was good enough for Celtic, because Anselmi thought this would cause more trouble and/or cost more money. It also may have become personal, not sure.

I understand your rationale, but I highly doubt that Tom Anselmi disagrees with Aron Winter's stance regarding DeRo. He disagreed with reports that Celtic were interested in acquiring DeRo, not necessarily with Winter's specific comments that Celtic had interest in a loan arrangement. It is even more unlikely that Anselmi would intentionally contradict the man entrusted to guide this franchise after two weeks on the job. I give him more credit than that. The media is just looking to stir up a story by utilizing a play on words. I think we've had enough controversy to satisfy us for a while...

aboveandbeyond
01-15-2011, 01:03 PM
my interpretation of this is that Tom may not be the smoothest guy you could ever meet .. have u seen press conferences etc.. loves the glory ..

we have a FOwhich is suspect at best .. one loves the cam the other twit is super witty on twitter ..
ego's run free at mlse ..
there has to be a culture there that is so far yet to be a winning formula .
ask JC

Beach_Red
01-15-2011, 01:05 PM
my question is, why does it matter what anselmi thinks? hes not running the team
also isnt he leaving?
i fail to see what impact outside of looking like an asshole, this has

As long as he's in a position to fire the manager what he thinks is important. It is good that Winter has been given a three year contract (is it three years guaranteed? How long is Mariner's contact?) but people have described the inner workings at MLSE as Machiavellian and it is probably run quite differently than Ajax (though it does seem similar to New England, so it's good Mariner is here).

And remember, all we're getting is what the reporters are getting. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes. Cautious optimism, cautious....

Ossington Mental Youth
01-15-2011, 01:10 PM
definitely cautious optimism but also a touch of realism, dude runs his mouth but i dont think hes going to purposely sabotage his own career and a chance for this team to become something great with his own name being attached to it

aboveandbeyond
01-15-2011, 01:17 PM
definitely cautious optimism but also a touch of realism, dude runs his mouth but i dont think hes going to purposely sabotage his own career and a chance for this team to become something great with his own name being attached to it

yes in theory ..

but look what he has hitched his wagon to so far LOL..

cuma cuma cuma cumacuma cuma cameleon

they come and go :canada:

Beach_Red
01-15-2011, 01:20 PM

We've gone over this before and you're right. But the success of his career is based on profits, not wins and losses. The first four years of this team were a huge success to MLSE. And guys like Winter and Mariner will be gone at some point to other teams but guys like Anselmi will still be here.

rocker
01-15-2011, 01:48 PM

note that Anselmi is not quoted there. That's Morgan Campbell's choice of words.
Campbell chooses to call it a "play" and say that Anselmi disputed reports. But we don't actually hear what Anselmi said regarding what reports.

Actually, for other people complaining that Anselmi talks too much, there's only one quote in that article between him and Morgan Campbell, and it's "“That’s the coach’s decision." The other quote is from a radio show Campbell listened to.

ensco
01-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Who knows what happens to Anselmi? The only thing he knows for sure is, the current Board are people who understand hockey, not soccer, and to the extent they are aware of Dero's antics, they will be more unhappy about them, than a soccer board that understood soccer culture would be. That's probably why he did what he did - he is going to be the tough guy, publicly anyway, as it relates to Dero.

The problem is that there's no one worrying about the implications of Anselmi undercutting his man. MLSE is in a state of anarchy right now.

Peddie is a lame duck and no longer cares what Anselmi does. The Company is for sale. Teachers was an absentee landlord at the best of times.

It's good to be optimistic in life, but it's also good to be realistic. Our problems did not disappear when Winter/Mariner came in.

ensco
01-15-2011, 01:52 PM
note that Anselmi is not quoted there. That's Morgan Campbell's choice of words.
Campbell chooses to call it a "play" and say that Anselmi disputed reports. But we don't actually hear what Anselmi said regarding what reports.

Actually, for other people complaining that Anselmi talks too much, there's only one quote in that article between him and Morgan Campbell, and it's "“That’s the coach’s decision." The other quote is from a radio show Campbell listened to.

You must be kidding. So Morgan Campbell made it up?

aboveandbeyond
01-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Who knows what happens to Anselmi? The only thing he knows for sure is, the current Board are people who understand hockey, not soccer, and to the extent they are aware of Dero's antics, they will be more unhappy about them, than a soccer board that understood soccer culture would be. That's probably why he did what he did - he is going to be the tough guy, publicly anyway, as it relates to Dero.

The problem is that there's no one worrying about the implications of Anselmi undercutting his man. MLSE is in a state of anarchy right now.

Peddie is a lame duck and no longer cares what Anselmi does. The Company is for sale. Teachers was an absentee landlord at the best of times.

It's good to be optimistic in life, but it's also good to be realistic. Our problems did not disappear when Winter/Mariner came in.

you my good sir are a man of wisdom ..

Suds
01-15-2011, 02:14 PM

It's not that he made it up. But the choice of words about Celtic not making a play is not a direct quote of what Anselmi said. It was Campbell's choice of words to encapsulate a conversation.

So, it's not a direct quote and and far as I'm concerned does nothing to contradict anything that Mariner or Winter has said.

Oldtimer
01-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Yeah, Duane.:rolleyes:

I shouldn't post when overtired. I meant DeRo (Dwayne), and give myself a :picard:.

rocker
01-15-2011, 03:35 PM

Read Suds' comment above and you'll understand.

ensco
01-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Read Suds' comment above and you'll understand.

I understand what you guys are saying just fine. I just think you're being too cute. I'm going with the obvious.

Super Cereal
01-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Omphroy's tweet:

LOL look at the picture and his bio! It's already all TFC.

This guy is awesome haha.

reggie
01-15-2011, 04:39 PM
he will be a demi-god here.

CretanBull
01-15-2011, 04:54 PM
he will be a demi-god here.

In a radio interview he compared himself to Dani Alves...let's hope!

denime
01-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Omphroy's tweet:

or

Bio: Professional soccer player for Toronto FC. 21 years old. I love soccer, tattoos, and life. RedNation!

That's the spirit. :scarf:

Suds
01-15-2011, 05:20 PM
^^
Now this guy should be DeRo's PR guy. He know how to pander to us. :D

boban
01-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Who knows what happens to Anselmi? The only thing he knows for sure is, the current Board are people who understand hockey, ..
You are giving them too much credit.
They don't understand any sport.

ManUtd4ever
01-15-2011, 06:29 PM
^^
Now this guy should be DeRo's PR guy. He know how to pander to us. :D

Haha, true. I noticed DeRo is one of his newest followers on Twitter...

TFCRegina
01-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Former TFC Player, Chris Pozniak, does an interview for Red Nation Online. This year he has been fantastic in Norway at the Rightback position and has been playing it consistently.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Rednation_Speaks_with_Chris_Pozniak_january_16_11_ feature.shtml