PDA

View Full Version : Demitrius Omphroy, quite the character and may I say dancer, lol !!!!!

Red CB Toronto
01-15-2011, 04:04 AM
What can I say, Demitrius Omphroy the Reds second round selection in Thursday's Superdraft is quite the character, in addition to his exploits on the pitch as a member of Cal's footy team he likes to have fun as apparent by this little video he put together on youtube with his college teammates.

ZuH7PiJ5x5k

razor787
01-15-2011, 04:13 AM
Broken video, can you re-post please

Red CB Toronto
01-15-2011, 04:17 AM
Broken video, can you re-post please
What is the best way to post youtube videos.

razor787
01-15-2011, 04:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naLJs9Npm0I

The bolded text is what you want in the youtube tags

Brooker
01-15-2011, 05:25 AM
hOHRmxT21Mk

uhh no comment.

Nuvinho
01-15-2011, 08:45 AM
He is on twitter as well.

meatytwit

Ron Manager
01-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Comes across as a confident kid. Hope his health situation remains stable and he finds success here. Welcome to T.O. Demetrius.

Damien
01-15-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm a true fan of anyone who can reverse or eliminate the effects of MS and has a good positive attitude.

Hope he kicks some ass here in Toronto!

Super Cereal
01-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Comes across as a confident kid. Hope his health situation remains stable and he finds success here. Welcome to T.O. Demetrius.

His reaction to getting drafted by Toronto was quite positive as well. I'll be rooting for him!

19Barrett19
01-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Have to get a new chant for this guy he is going to be a fan fav he has really qiuck feet and will make the opposition look silly at times. Expect a great career for him. $100 on Dimitrious

reggie
01-15-2011, 01:45 PM
if he can play(skill wise)this kid could be tfc s coverboy,hip,looks,charm,maybe a spoke person for MS..good luck demi.

ManUtd4ever
01-15-2011, 03:11 PM
I watched the video highlights of his performance at the MLS Combine and he set up a great goal with some fancy footwork. My guess is Omphroy would have been drafted much higher if it weren't for his unfortunate illness, which is apparently under control and won't affect his career. Good on Winter and Mariner for taking a chance on this kid...

Roogsy
01-15-2011, 03:22 PM
That video was pretty entertaining.

Roogsy
01-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Have to get a new chant for this guy he is going to be a fan fav he has really qiuck feet and will make the opposition look silly at times. Expect a great career for him. $100 on Dimitrious

Shall I recommend the chorus of the Chris Brown song? Seems easy.

I'll wait for you
Till you come home
Here all alone
I stay all over your love

For ur love
For ur love
For ur love
For ur loooooooooove...

Works well for your home team does it not?

Yeoman
01-15-2011, 05:41 PM
beats trying to go with;
demitruis omphroy, fucking wicked!
just doesn't roll

boban
01-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Just needs a good heavy duty brush and some powerful soap.

TheKing7
01-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Excited we have this guy, maybe we could have a season thats enjoyable for a change?

ManUtd4ever
01-15-2011, 07:29 PM
You have to admire this kid...

“I like to look at it like it tried to beat me once,” the defender said. “I was supposed to sign my first professional contract in Portugal [with Sporting Lisbon after a seven-month trial] and I had to come back because I lost the vision in my eye from multiple sclerosis and now that I’m able to manage it I’m kind of beating it myself. I’m getting to pursue my dream.”

Despite being warned by doctors that he might go blind, Omphroy’s vision gradually returned and the tingling in his foot subsided, and since being diagnosed, the native of Alameda, Calif., has had few problems coping.

“It’s all manageable,” he said. “I was able to find out early about it so I have to take these injections once a day and it’s not into the muscle, it’s into the skin. I’ve been symptom-free since I’ve been taking it.

Iheartdero
01-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Shall I recommend the chorus of the Chris Brown song? Seems easy.

I'll wait for you
Till you come home
Here all alone
I stay all over your love

For ur love
For ur love
For ur love
For ur loooooooooove...

Works well for your home team does it not?

Good idea. With hands signals and all:scarf:

Red CB Toronto
01-15-2011, 09:29 PM
I am all for it, great to see a good person being able to live the dream.

Cashcleaner
01-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Are we looking at our new Alecko Eskandarian, but maybe, you know...better? :D

I agree with ManUtd4ever, it shows a bit of class to pick this guy up, though it sounds like health won't be much of an issue with him.

Me likey.

RicoSuave44
01-16-2011, 11:25 AM
f-ing awesome. look at those smiles. hopefully he can spread some of that around at BMO

Eastend
01-16-2011, 11:45 AM
And if he ever scores......

Oomph there he is
Oomph there he is
Oomph there he is

........ha

TFCRegina
01-16-2011, 12:20 PM
And if he ever scores......

Oomph there he is
Oomph there he is
Oomph there he is

........ha

The possibilities are endless.

I hope he's talented enough to stay with the squad and not be released like most of our other draft picks from previous years.

ginkster88
01-16-2011, 12:49 PM
The possibilities are endless.

I hope he's talented enough to stay with the squad and not be released like most of our other draft picks from previous years.

If he was supposed to sign with Sporting Lisbon, that's a good sign.

TFCRegina
01-16-2011, 01:02 PM
If he was supposed to sign with Sporting Lisbon, that's a good sign.

As with other draft picks, I'll reserve judgement until I see some evidence that he's that talented.

You do understand right? I don't like becoming attached to players at this club, especially not draft picks, when we have move turnover than a delicious pastry dessert factory.

Whoop
01-16-2011, 01:21 PM
He just said it was a good sign. :rolleyes:

TFCRegina
01-16-2011, 01:24 PM
He just said it was a good sign. :rolleyes:

I realize that. I also realize people were shitting on me earlier for not being impressed by Plata. And I'm making it clear, it isn't discrimination against Plata or any other draft pick for that matter.

I just don't think draft picks amount to much.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong with these guys. I'm just not getting excited about this stuff.

ginkster88
01-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Edu turned out to be pretty alright.

TFCRegina
01-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Edu turned out to be pretty alright.

And what about our 2nd, 3rd and 4th round draft picks that year? Or any other year for that matter.

Whoop
01-16-2011, 01:32 PM
I realize that. I also realize people were shitting on me earlier for not being impressed by Plata. And I'm making it clear, it isn't discrimination against Plata or any other draft pick for that matter.

I just don't think draft picks amount to much.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong with these guys. I'm just not getting excited about this stuff.

Understandable.

ginkster88
01-16-2011, 01:40 PM
And what about our 2nd, 3rd and 4th round draft picks that year? Or any other year for that matter.

I was being facetious.

Curiously enough, two of our later picks have actually gone on to a lot of success abroad, never signing in MLS. We also rarely draft much beyond the 1st round.

Joseph Lapira, our 3rd round pick in 2008 never signed here and is playing in Norway.

Mike Grella, our 3rd round pick in 2009 never signed and is with Leeds United in the Championship.

This is quite common in lower-tier drafts; teams often take flyers on players who probably won't ever play in that league just in case something happens and they do. You see this in the CFL and in MLB (often drafting NCAA football players), and the NBA as well (Rufio is the most recent example I can think of).

Ron Manager
01-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Admittedly, draft picks rarely amount to much but it is interesting to see that both Omphroy and Plata dropped to where they were for reasons other than talent (health and size respectively) Hopefully they have something to offer that our coaches can pull out of them.

ginkster88
01-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Admittedly, draft picks rarely amount to much but it is interesting to see that both Omphroy and Plata dropped to where they were for reasons other than talent (health and size respectively) Hopefully they have something to offer that our coaches can pull out of them.

Exactly. I'd rather take a kid who slid due to off-field issues (beyond character concerns), than a player with talent commensurate to draft position.

carefree_cfc
01-16-2011, 04:41 PM
TFC Has a knack for drafting youtube sensations (see Mike Zaher)

Alonso
01-16-2011, 05:19 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/videos?catid=30&id=11150

Here's some Plata highlights from the Combine.... looks decent.

It's the second video, don't know how to embed this, if someone else would do the honors it would be appreciated.

TFC Cityboy
01-16-2011, 06:18 PM
gievn his unique name, the age-old chant of
"There's only one Demetrius Omphroy " seems appropriate...

drewski
01-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Are we looking at our new Alecko Eskandarian, but maybe, you know...better? :D

I agree with ManUtd4ever, it shows a bit of class to pick this guy up, though it sounds like health won't be much of an issue with him.

Me likey.

especially given what happened with Herold last year.

would live to see this kid make it.

jloome
01-17-2011, 12:57 PM
I was being facetious.

Curiously enough, two of our later picks have actually gone on to a lot of success abroad, never signing in MLS. We also rarely draft much beyond the 1st round.

Joseph Lapira, our 3rd round pick in 2008 never signed here and is playing in Norway.

Mike Grella, our 3rd round pick in 2009 never signed and is with Leeds United in the Championship.

This is quite common in lower-tier drafts; teams often take flyers on players who probably won't ever play in that league just in case something happens and they do. You see this in the CFL and in MLB (often drafting NCAA football players), and the NBA as well (Rufio is the most recent example I can think of).

Success is pretty strong. Last I looked Grella was on loan because he can't get playing time at Leeds and is still considered a good prospect at best.

And Lapira was playing in the Norwegian second division, which is below MLS quality. Transfermarkt has no record of him playing in 2010 at all, although he apparently had eight goals in 26 games in 2009, which is hardly stellar.

EDIT: Lapira was released at the end of the 2009-2010 season. Can't find a record of him signing anywhere else.

NEW EDIT: Was on trial last month for "East Bengal" in the Indian league. Can't make this shit up:

http://www.eastbengaltherealpower.com/news/1550/Joseph-Lapira-arrives-for-Trials-in-East-Bengal

Red CB Toronto
01-18-2011, 06:30 AM
Good to see that Demitrius has added the TFC Logo and all to his twitter account, this kid just wants to play with such a smile, looking forward to seeing him on the pitch.

Klinsmann
01-18-2011, 07:24 AM
hi just noticed another interview up on Rednation online:

INSIDE THE MLS: DEMITRIUS OMPHROY

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Inside_the_MLS_Demitrius_Omphroy_january_18_11_fea ture.shtml

C.Ronaldo
01-18-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm rooting for him.

My mom had a scare with MS. I'll never forget the day, she quickly becomes Mommy again.

Anyone who can have that much fun, with so much dedication must at least be a great teammate to have.

This guy is going to help pull in the younger ladies to the stadium, which I don't really mind at all.

JonO
01-18-2011, 05:05 PM
NEW EDIT: Was on trial last month for "East Bengal" in the Indian league. Can't make this shit up:
Wow - that is someone who is desperate to avoid returning to MLS or his star has really fallen. If I remember correctly, the only reason he was drafted so late was because he had made clear his intention of playing in Europe.

jloome
01-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Wow - that is someone who is desperate to avoid returning to MLS or his star has really fallen. If I remember correctly, the only reason he was drafted so late was because he had made clear his intention of playing in Europe.

Given his age and some of his past comment, he's probably there seeking TM-related spiritual discovery with a baghwan.

Mark TFC
01-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Said it in a previous post, glad to have to him here! He's a positive kid with good ambitions and he's truly happy to be playing here. Can't wait to see his performance on the pitch.

ag futbol
01-18-2011, 11:07 PM

Even the guys Johnston couldn't sign busted.

reggie
01-19-2011, 03:23 PM
good interview with demi on cbc metro morning.
sorry i dont have the link.

moralis
01-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Found the link to Demetrius Omphroy's interview with CBC Metro Morning:

http://www.cbc.ca/metromorning/2011/01/powerful-defender.html

Walms
01-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Its going to be great seeing him in a Reds jersey! Welcome Demitrius

canadian_bhoy
01-20-2011, 08:59 PM
The best thing about that video is that now there is no way we'll ever mistake demitrius for Danny Dichio.

That video is why people say soccer is for sissies.

prizby
01-22-2011, 09:22 PM
That video is why people say soccer is for sissies.

s1rrS44-X-w

i guess basketball is too than?

anyone think Omphroy might be starting RB/LB (whichever foot he favours) from day one?

Oldtimer
01-22-2011, 10:17 PM

The Indian league is so below MLS, N. American D2 would be a BIG step up. Plus he was on trial, not even signed.

Even the guys Johnston couldn't sign busted.

Pretty sobering thought. But he had a 5 year plan!!!

ag futbol
01-23-2011, 12:34 AM
Pretty sobering thought. But he had a 5 year plan!!!
That quote makes me think of the movie Big Daddy every time!

Makes me wonder if Mo Johnston is now working at hooters as well

Waggy
01-23-2011, 01:40 AM
s1rrS44-X-w

i guess basketball is too than?

anyone think Omphroy might be starting RB/LB (whichever foot he favours) from day one?

I don't think he was referring to the act of dancing, more to the musical choice and moves performed. No-one can have anything bad to say about some people dancing in sports

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9o3t3LtxWM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQKofyHeMPA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79o1ugGw6bg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuPKTeeLyzw

drewski
01-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Omphroy Praises Toronto

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/omphroy-praises-toronto

tfcleeds
01-24-2011, 12:39 PM
^If he arrived here on Sunday, I'm surprised he wasn't going on about the cold...

reggie
01-24-2011, 01:08 PM
unlike ronnie o brian,he was bitching about the weather the day he got here.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Still wanna play overseas Lapira?
Jesus christ i bet that dude regrets that move

goonerRVP11
01-27-2011, 08:43 PM

This guy is going to help pull in the younger ladies to the stadium, which I don't really mind at all.

Don't get me wrong Omphroy is gorgeous but I'm a 22 "younger lady" and have been a season ticket holder since day one not because of the player's good looks but because of the live football being played in Toronto.

The looks are just a bonus :)

That being said Demitrius seems like an amazing signing who has already partnered with the MS society of Canada and seems to have already fallen in love with TFC. See his twitter today...

MeatyTwit: TFC fans are the best fans in the MLS. #Fact (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Fact)

Seems like quite the character which is exactly what this club loves and needs!

oxygenatedbrain
01-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Still wanna play overseas Lapira?
Jesus christ i bet that dude regrets that move

I'm pretty sure Joe Lapira is not your average North American corporate/consumer type...