PDA

View Full Version : Rolling with Ricketts (in moldova)

__wowza
01-14-2011, 10:50 AM
http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/diary-of-a-pro-footballer-how-to-handle-playing-abroad/

dude seriously misses us..
we think we got it bad? the side he played for in hungary had 3 managers in 4 months.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-14-2011, 11:05 AM
i dont get the hate on for him. He loved the team, loves the city. No he didnt perform to his salary (his salary was obviously Mo's fault). I feel bad for the dude as he seems like a decent guy that couldnt get his head together on the field. Too bad too cuz it was evident at times that hes clearly got the skill.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-14-2011, 11:06 AM
also it should be known that Moldova is FUCKED. Got one of the highest rates of white/sex slavery in the world. I kid you not. Read up on the Trans dniester, tied into Moldova and definitely as interesting/fucked.

MartinUtd
01-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Wow sounds like he's really been humbled. It's a breath of fresh air after reading about Ryan Babel and that guy that told his teams fans he wishes they died.

DangerRed
01-14-2011, 11:15 AM
"Since I left Toronto FC in August 2009, it has been an absolute nightmare trying to get settle at a club and start to work my way back to the level I want to play at. I remember leaving Toronto, I thought I would walk back into a Championship (http://www.sabotagetimes.com/tag/football-league) side at least, based on my talent and the fact that I was hungry to come back and show what I can do. Little did I know most if not all English (http://www.sabotagetimes.com/tag/england) sides did not respect the fact that I had gone to play in the MLS. Some clubs, Peterborough being one, questioned if I was good enough for a trial. I thought that was crazy but hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion."

Good fucking riddance, you useless egomaniac. He should be thanking his lucky stars Moldova took him.

And I don't hate him because he's useless. I hate him because he thinks he deserves the world at his feet on account of being god's gift to football.

manic.street.preacher
01-14-2011, 11:24 AM
as an aside, he can't write and that website needs a proper editor.

drewski
01-14-2011, 11:27 AM
I was then sitting in a cottage with my loved ones in a rural part of Toronto called Algonquin Park

hahaha

trane
01-14-2011, 11:31 AM
" rural part of Toronto called Algonquin Park"-I had to laugh. I have not hate for Rohan, but he underachived. Have to say it is a bit sad how he is ending up.

Whoop
01-14-2011, 11:32 AM
He's no longer on the Moldovan team.

Roogsy
01-14-2011, 11:35 AM
And I don't hate him because he's useless. I hate him because he thinks he deserves the world at his feet on account of being god's gift to football.

What has he ever done to make anyone think he deserves this? Rohan has never done anything but play for his team and then spend time on things like charities and promotions. Nothing extraordinary for athletes, he simply did it with some pinache. How this translates to he thinks he deserves anything I don't know. :noidea:

Ossington Mental Youth
01-14-2011, 11:58 AM
yeah i feel alot of nastiness towards him is pretty unwarranted, dudes talented, he knows it, as to his 'ego', cmon theres a TON of players out there with bigger egos, hes got skill knows it but clearly his head wont allow for his skill to work

Serb_Star
01-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Moldavian clubs pay pretty well for foreigners so I don't feel bad for him at all. I appreciate that he loves TFC and Toronto but I really don't like his sense of entitlement.

crozack
01-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Think he would fit well in our "new system"?

Im not advocating signing him....just curious.

I really do hate how TFC turns over players as much as we do.
It would be nice to have a core to grow with for a change

Waggy
01-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Ya screw that guy! If he REALLY loved Toronto he'd have told Mo to shove that contract offer where the sun didn't shine, sign instead for the league minimum and spend every minute of his free time at the local United Way. Unless a camera or a person with a cell phone or someone with a microphone showed up. Or someone called to talk to him. Then he needs to move on to the Salvation army. No stopping for food- people who recognize him may try and take videos on their cells and we can't have our athletes interacting with fans or trying to entertain them :facepalm:

Dude came here, fell in love with the city, CONTINUES to live here (something we deride players for not doing ALL the time) and worked hard. Does he think he's better than he is? Probably. I don't think you could find a pro athlete who doesn't, outside of the rare guys of JYD temperament. That's part of what drove these guys to becoming pro athletes.

bigtfcfan
01-14-2011, 12:35 PM
i'll sign him for 50-60K/year

DangerRed
01-14-2011, 12:37 PM
^You might as well sign yourself, since you'd contribute an equal amount to the success of the club going forward.

Auzzy
01-14-2011, 01:36 PM
This piece from Rohan is actually old. I also saw that article a little while ago. It pops up occasionally as a "new" article on Google News. It seems this website "sabotagetimes.com" has problems & puts in new dates for old articles now & then, or somehow confuses Google News. Note that the comments under the article start around Sept. 2nd 2010. Maybe this article was even talked about on the boards back then...? Sounds vaguely familiar.

Auzzy
01-14-2011, 01:42 PM
BTW, in case anybody's interested, there's a string of articles from Rohan stretching back about 6 months at this site: http://www.sabotagetimes.com/tag/rohan-ricketts/

I dunno if the stuff is any good; no time to read now. Forget about the dates on the articles (all from today supposedly...), just check the comments at the bottom of each article to get an idea of when it was published.

Globetrotter
01-14-2011, 01:50 PM
also it should be known that Moldova is FUCKED. Got one of the highest rates of white/sex slavery in the world. I kid you not. Read up on the Trans dniester, tied into Moldova and definitely as interesting/fucked.

Dude, don't believe all you read. I've been to Moldova. It's the poorest country in Europe, but you'd expect that. It was once a part of Romania, taken over with the USSR. During the 90's, it chose to be an independent country, despite being completely land locked with just fields, very small, and no resources. Transd area wanted to stay with the Russian/Ukrainians.

They have high sex trade numbers because they have absolutely stunning women there, and are extremely poor. Countries like Turkey pray on Moldovans, Ukraininans, and Russians.

The place isn't as despicable as it might sound. There's mafias, and problems, but like all countries in the world, the bulk of the population are very good hearted people with the same hopes and dreams as us; they were just born into poorer circumstances.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-14-2011, 01:52 PM
oh yeah, im not by any means denying theres great people there, it just happens to be a country with some serious problems right now. Sadly the general population is often subjected to it

Gobi
01-14-2011, 03:22 PM
I was then sitting in a cottage with my loved ones in a rural part of Toronto called Algonquin Park, when I got an email from an agent...

Whoa... what? Dude, smoke some more!

Parkdale
01-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Whoa... what? Dude, smoke some more!

maybe he just didn't proof read before his tweet.

sashavukelich
01-14-2011, 03:30 PM
i'd take Rohan back over Peterson.....easy!!!! Honestly, if we could sign the kid for 80-90k, he'd be just fine. He needs to settle and find his feet again, because clearly he has the technical ability and when he actually scored for us, he looked like a ghost from his Arsenal/Tottenham years.

trane
01-14-2011, 03:39 PM
maybe he just didn't proof read before his tweet.

proof reading is so last 90's.

poppamidnight
01-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Last Year's payment's I'd take Rohan Over:

Garcia: $198,750
Hscanovic: $120,250
Usanov: $102,250
Saric: $90k

Current TFC's I'd Take Rohan over:
Peterson: $143,000
LaBrocca: $79,500
Harden: $40,000

Stryker
01-14-2011, 08:49 PM
i'll sign him for 50-60K/year
We're already paying him and its more than that.

Poor Rohan? Pleeeease.

Super
01-14-2011, 08:51 PM
I'd give him another shot at $40k (league min). Let him prove himself with us. No reason why he should get a dime more - he's simply not worth it right now.

ginkster88
01-14-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm just speaking generally: The 40K league minimum is insulting. Give them something they can live on at least. It's not like most of these guys have an opportunity to grow into a larger role.

carefree_cfc
01-14-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm just speaking generally: The 40K league minimum is insulting. Give them something they can live on at least. It's not like most of these guys have an opportunity to grow into a larger role.

How Jack Layton of you.

Stryker
01-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Just re-read this and realized he left mid 2009. Time flies. Hopefully his buyout is off our books. We should be done paying Robinson as well.

ginkster88
01-14-2011, 09:57 PM
How Jack Layton of you.

Ha. Asking anyone to spend their 20s making 40K flat as a professional athelete with no chance of "promotion" or incentive is ridiculous, especially when that career will end long before their working life is over, and given that they have no experience will likely not even be able to command a 40K salary.

ManUtd4ever
01-14-2011, 10:25 PM
I still remember his 2 goal performance against Colorado at BMO Field, one of which was the most brilliant individual effort by any TFC player ever. It's a shame that his stock has dropped this much. I agree that he is more capable than a few roster players on last year's squad though...

Stryker
01-14-2011, 11:31 PM
Just because we may have some shitty players now doesn't mean we should bring back shitty players from yesteryear in hopes they've gotten their act together.

http://www.apexmanage.com/way%20forward%20sign.jpg

razor787
01-15-2011, 04:40 AM
I dont think he was a shitty player though. He was overpaid at the time, which I think is where all the 'hatred' seems to be coming from. If he was paid less, he would have been loved, simply because of the promise he showed.

I think we should bring him back, paid somewhere between 60-80k. If he works out, he is a starter. If he doesnt, he ends up as a good substitute to have, with the potential of cracking the first team.

The fact that he loves the city and club, even after he is gone, shows that he will try harder than any player we have. He will wear our shirt with pride, and will play 120% every game, because he loves it. I think he is a risk worth taking.

RicoSuave44
01-15-2011, 04:48 AM
Rohan is the JYD of TFC :D

razor787
01-15-2011, 05:14 AM
Who is JYD?

Nuvinho
01-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Who is JYD?

Jerome "Junkyard Dog" Williams.

Was a crap player, but Toronto basketball fans loved him.

Nuvinho
01-15-2011, 08:47 AM
(http://twitter.com/RohanRicketts)RohanRicketts (http://twitter.com/RohanRicketts)
(http://twitter.com/RohanRicketts)
I know exactly where I want to play now (http://twitter.com/RohanRicketts)#Toronto (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Toronto) FC !! They are going to be playing Total Football this year and thats how I was raised (http://twitter.com/RohanRicketts)#AFC (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23AFC)
(http://twitter.com/RohanRicketts)

Interesting. I wonder if he has contacted his old bosses.

FluSH
01-15-2011, 09:25 AM
What has he ever done to make anyone think he deserves this? Rohan has never done anything but play for his team and then spend time on things like charities and promotions. Nothing extraordinary for athletes, he simply did it with some pinache. How this translates to he thinks he deserves anything I don't know. :noidea:

I agree.

I liked Rohan, and only wish him the best.

anto7
01-15-2011, 09:27 AM
I dont think he was a shitty player though. He was overpaid at the time, which I think is where all the 'hatred' seems to be coming from. If he was paid less, he would have been loved, simply because of the promise he showed.

I think we should bring him back, paid somewhere between 60-80k. If he works out, he is a starter. If he doesnt, he ends up as a good substitute to have, with the potential of cracking the first team.

The fact that he loves the city and club, even after he is gone, shows that he will try harder than any player we have. He will wear our shirt with pride, and will play 120% every game, because he loves it. I think he is a risk worth taking.
I could be wrong but I think I remember watching him play in some games away from BMO where it looked like he was barely putting forth 50% effort. Sure, he hid have moments where he looked good, particularly at BMO, but I think his biggest issue was his lack of consistency and the way he often completely drifted out of games. With the undoubted skills that he has he should have been doing so much more during games.

Yeoman
01-15-2011, 10:24 AM
wait that's how he actually writes?
that hurt my brain and eyes

Corpand
01-15-2011, 11:24 AM
I know highlight reels arent the best way to judge a player, but when Rikko had his good games, there was some nice quality there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kon-VSkUOuE

I just wonder if he doesnt put in the practice or thinks (especially as the above article states) too highly of himself, thus not bothering to outperform other players.

ManUtd4ever
01-15-2011, 11:31 AM
^^ Agreed. If he hasn't been brought down to earth by now he never will. I actually wouldn't mind if he was given a trial with TFC. If he has matured enough to put in the effort required to reach his potential, who knows?

Corpand
01-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Rikko is on trial at SV Eintracht Trier (4 div german club) right now. That club isnt doing too well in its division. Maybe he can help out there. Trial TFC after?

Nuvinho
01-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Rikko is on trial at SV Eintracht Trier (4 div german club) right now. That club isnt doing too well in its division. Maybe he can help out there. Trial TFC after?

I think he is trying to get information about a TFC trial. He is speaking with some players and/or management.

Stryker
01-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Find me some highlights of his play since he left Toronto. When you exhaust your search and come up empty handed try and find Rohan acting the clown and trying to sell himself in the last two years. Plenty of material.
I honestly can't believe people are even considering having him back. This leopard will never change his spots.

FluSH
01-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Find me some highlights of his play since he left Toronto. When you exhaust your search and come up empty handed try and find Rohan acting the clown and trying to sell himself in the last two years. Plenty of material.
I honestly can't believe people are even considering having him back. This leopard will never change his spots.

Just cause you asked... :D

F9rhwRMDG6Q

Hear the Roars... Man I miss that! I need the season to start now!

Oldtimer
01-16-2011, 09:49 PM
^ I hope he gets a chance at a trial. He's no worse than a lot of MLS players, it would be worthwhile to see if Winter thinks he could fit into the new system-- especially if we are still paying him.

FluSH
01-16-2011, 09:53 PM
^ I hope he gets a chance at a trial. He's no worse than a lot of MLS players, it would be worthwhile to see if Winter thinks he could fit into the new system-- especially if we are still paying him.

I would take him back at the right price... He did more than Pablo Vitti and others while he was here

Yohan
01-16-2011, 10:08 PM
I dunno. He can beat a man 1v1, but lack of pace and poor decision means he has to beat the same man, or gets crowded again. Slightly better version of Andy Welsh IMO.

though can play with both feet and when he's on, Ricketts had some special games

Juanito
01-16-2011, 10:50 PM
I liked Rohan. I think he got a bit of a bum rap.

jloome
01-17-2011, 12:22 AM
I agree.

I liked Rohan, and only wish him the best.

There's a little truth to both sides. Ricketts' play went downhill as he got more caught up in his public celebrity here. He seemed to enjoy the attention more than the football.

He also overvalues his own abilities. Having said that, he's a decent winger by MLS standards, can't see any harm in having him in camp.

Stryker
01-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Just cause you asked... :D

Hear the Roars... Man I miss that! I need the season to start now!

"SINCE HE LEFT".

razor787
01-17-2011, 01:28 AM
He has played 5 games since leaving TFC. Where are you expecting to get highlights from?

Yohan
01-17-2011, 01:58 AM
He has played 5 games since leaving TFC. Where are you expecting to get highlights from?
at least he'd be well rested! lol

trane
01-17-2011, 09:21 AM
There's a little truth to both sides. Ricketts' play went downhill as he got more caught up in his public celebrity here. He seemed to enjoy the attention more than the football.

He also overvalues his own abilities. Having said that, he's a decent winger by MLS standards, can't see any harm in having him in camp.

What does puzzle me about him, as that you would have thought that he would have been one of the better football IQs on the pitch, due to his pedigree, but at times his play was so one dimentional it was frustrating.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-17-2011, 09:25 AM
for me i always saw the ego as a sign of lacking confidence, that would also appear on the field when he was indecisive about his plays etc

Brooker
01-17-2011, 09:35 AM
RohanRicketts

I know exactly where I want to play now #Toronto FC !! They are going to be playing Total Football this year and thats how I was raised #AFC

Yes Rohan... I would like to play for TFC, too.... but let's be realistic.

TFC14
01-17-2011, 12:20 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3154/2607792105_65c02b1ac5_o.jpg

http://lesrosbifs.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/50cent.jpg

One has-been a fan of a never-was...hes playing in Moldova...enough said

jloome
01-17-2011, 12:37 PM
for me i always saw the ego as a sign of lacking confidence, that would also appear on the field when he was indecisive about his plays etc

Maybe. He certainly plays poorly when he's thinking about what he's doing. That two-goal game, the guy looked on autopilot and it worked. He was in the right place at the right time all afternoon.

J .
01-17-2011, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't pay him a penny nor offer him a position. His character is not that of a successful footballer. His pedigree compared to his accomplishments highlight that.

Ricketts is a man who was given talent, given opportunity and squandered it.

We need men with a winning mentality and Rohan Ricketts is not one of those.

jloome
01-17-2011, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't pay him a penny nor offer him a position. His character is not that of a successful footballer. His pedigree compared to his accomplishments highlight that.

Ricketts is a man who was given talent, given opportunity and squandered it.

We need men with a winning mentality and Rohan Ricketts is not one of those.

I hate to say it, but the more I think about it in pragmatic terms, this is correct.

I bear him no ill will, as he loves the city and club, and he loves football. But Rohan's ego, relative to his abilities, has probably been stratospheric since he was a teenager.

When someone is ego-centrically rewarded for something for a long time -- particularly when it's not tied to actual improvement in performance -- they can come to derive the bulk of their satisfaction from that relationship.

If he comes back to Toronto, where he was arguably most ego-gratified, he's going to be preening in no time. If he winds up on the bench, it'll be a year of hearing about why he should be starting. Either way, he'll be out in the public eye again as soon as he's signed the contract.

Oldtimer
01-17-2011, 01:38 PM
If he comes back to Toronto, where he was arguably most ego-gratified, he's going to be preening in no time. If he winds up on the bench, it'll be a year of hearing about why he should be starting. Either way, he'll be out in the public eye again as soon as he's signed the contract.

...that's a very good point. It might happen, but if Winter thinks he can manage him, I'll support giving him a chance.

trane
01-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Maybe. He certainly plays poorly when he's thinking about what he's doing. That two-goal game, the guy looked on autopilot and it worked. He was in the right place at the right time all afternoon.

That was as good a game as I have seen from any MLS player. You are right he seemed to simply do an not think.