PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Conway

hrvat87
01-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Toronto have traded away John Conway to Chicago for a 3rd round 49th overall pick which TFC have selected Joao Plata

MartinUtd
01-13-2011, 10:09 PM
He was worth more than a 3rd rounder.

They better be cooking up something real good...

billyfly
01-13-2011, 10:09 PM
did this just happen?

MartinUtd
01-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Article is from 5:13pm

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/01/13/sp-chad-barrett.html

(last paragraph)

hrvat87
01-13-2011, 10:12 PM
he was better then a 3rd rounder?i guess you havent watched his performances in CCL...and he's already old-33 years old.....I find it weird how TFC didnt go arfter a young goalkeeper in today's draft to be 3rd string to Frei & Kocic...we'll see what Marinier & Winter do

MartinUtd
01-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Yes I did watch the CCL, did you?

A third rounder is garbage. The MLS draft is a total joke after the first 10 picks and even out of those first 10 there's barely a 50/50 chance that they'll make any sort of impact.

MG42
01-13-2011, 10:14 PM
reserve league will need someone?

hrvat87
01-13-2011, 10:20 PM
I dont know if TFC will actuallly have a whole team for the MLS reserve league...or the Senior Academy team will enter as TFC MLS reserve team....i guess we'll have to wait and seee....

MartinUtd....I tottaly agree with you that the whole MLS DRAFT is a joke,and waste of time,but what can you do.....I think they traded Conway to gain more room in there salary cap...but then again who knows what the guys @ TFC are doing.....

Juanito
01-13-2011, 10:32 PM
I liked Conway .... and we really need to have someone in training, for the future. Frei is going to be picked up by someone in Europe, we can't keep that kind of talent here forever.

hrvat87
01-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Kocic is also a very young-goood keeper...i've watched him in the CSL-when he was loanded to Serbia White Eagles

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-13-2011, 10:59 PM
I think two keepers is enough, particularly with the league's emergency keeper program.

kodiakTFC
01-13-2011, 11:57 PM
Kocic is also a very young-goood keeper...i've watched him in the CSL-when he was loanded to Serbia White Eagles

Kocic has gone back to Serbia and will not be coming back.

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-14-2011, 12:10 AM

bump-bump-bump! Always something with TFC.

Red CB Toronto
01-14-2011, 01:09 AM
Where is this info coming from, if its even real, just curious to know

kodiakTFC
01-14-2011, 01:46 AM

A friend is about to sign with Serbian White Eagles as their new keeper. When I asked about Kocic he told me he that he's staying in Serbia.

MartinUtd
01-14-2011, 02:02 AM

John Molinaro. I linked the article above.

Lucky Strike
01-14-2011, 08:55 AM
John Molinaro. I linked the article above.

Not to be a pain in the ass, but the article you linked earlier doesn't mention it. Just talks about Barrett and there's a blurb about Conway at the end.

Unless I'm searching for it with my nose?

Parkdale
01-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Not to be a pain in the ass, but the article you linked earlier doesn't mention it. Just talks about Barrett and there's a blurb about Conway at the end.

Unless I'm searching for it with my nose?

Also on Thursday, Toronto FC traded backup goalkeeper Jon Conway to the Chicago Fire for a third-round pick in the MLS draft. TFC used the pick to select midfielder Joao Plata of Ecuador.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/01/13/sp-chad-barrett.html#ixzz1B1BU34kk

it's there.

I liked Conway because he was a solid backup, and knew that roll is important. He was pretty solid in net, and was a good leader on the team. best of luck to him, until we face him down the road.

Alixir
01-14-2011, 08:59 AM
I dont know if TFC will actuallly have a whole team for the MLS reserve league... lol I agree. How can they have a whole reserve team when they can hardly scrape together a first team.
9 weeks.

rocker
01-14-2011, 09:01 AM
the article says nothing about Kocic... i think that's what people are commenting on.

Parkdale
01-14-2011, 09:02 AM
ah, sorry, still brewing the coffee.

Lucky Strike
01-14-2011, 09:07 AM
the article says nothing about Kocic... i think that's what people are commenting on.

Yup, that's the ticket!

Joe Kool
01-14-2011, 09:10 AM
No more Conway's World ???

Auzzy
01-14-2011, 09:16 AM
No more Conway's World ???

At least in the video department, we've got a very capable replacement in Demi...

Pachuco
01-14-2011, 09:40 AM
He was worth more than a 3rd rounder.

They better be cooking up something real good...

How did you come up with a valuation like this for Conway. We actually got a great deal if you look at comparables. The best way to determine what he's worth is take a look at his recent history.

1. First released from the Red Bulls (meaning nobody was interested in paying a dime for his trade)

2. Then he was traded for a 4th round pick to Chicago.

3. TFC got a third rounder for Conway at which times he's older.

I don't know about you, but I think we got what he's worth if not more.

Darlofletch
01-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Kocic is going as well? Is there any reports on this, or has anyone else heard any rumblings from sources. I figured goalie was pretty much the one position I didn't have to worry about.

Oldtimer
01-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Decent American GKs are a dime a dozen. It's one thing that the US is renowned for.

Gazza_55
01-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Yes I did watch the CCL, did you?

A third rounder is garbage. The MLS draft is a total joke after the first 10 picks and even out of those first 10 there's barely a 50/50 chance that they'll make any sort of impact.

Stefan Frei was the 13th pick. Is he a joke?

MartinUtd
01-14-2011, 10:36 AM
How did you come up with a valuation like this for Conway. We actually got a great deal if you look at comparables. The best way to determine what he's worth is take a look at his recent history.

1. First released from the Red Bulls (meaning nobody was interested in paying a dime for his trade)

2. Then he was traded for a 4th round pick to Chicago.

3. TFC got a third rounder for Conway at which times he's older.

I don't know about you, but I think we got what he's worth if not more.

We traded up a round. Big freaking deal. Im basing my valuation on what he did for us while he was here. Conway was a rock in goal, he communicated and his distribution was very well placed (remember the long throw to the Peterson goal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSMO5XiXM_4)?). We never had that in a back up and when we get a replacement, Conway will be the standard to judge him by.

MartinUtd
01-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Stefan Frei was the 13th pick. Is he a joke?

Unusually deep draft. How about that 4th pick? Watching White ministry of funny walk his way down the pitch was one of the most painful sights of 2010.

Pachuco
01-14-2011, 10:43 AM
We traded up a round. Big freaking deal. Im basing my valuation on what he did for us while he was here. Conway was a rock in goal, he communicated and his distribution was very well placed (remember the long throw to the Peterson goal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSMO5XiXM_4)?). We never had that in a back up and when we get a replacement, Conway will be the standard to judge him by.

You can also valuate your home at a milsky. But it ain't worth nothing more then what someone else is willing to pay for it.

You were the one saying he's worth more, I was proving to you that he isn't. It's going to take more then an assist to prove to me some other team was willing to pay more for him.

It's one thing to say I liked him and I'm sorry he's gone and another to say TFC we could have gotten more from him when we traded him for more then he's been worth in recent history.

MartinUtd
01-14-2011, 10:48 AM
I meant he's worth more to TFC than a third round draft pick. Especially with Frei's future at MLS being called into question.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
01-14-2011, 11:10 AM

We had comparable qualities, plus youth, in Edwards (who was a back-up).

MartinUtd
01-14-2011, 11:13 AM
I liked Edwards, but I never had the same level of confidence in him as I did in Conway. Remember the NYRB game? I think Edwards is a good example of the standard MLS pool keeper that are a dime a dozen. I sincerely think Conway was a full step (or two) above that.

But oh well, he's gone and he wasn't a starter. Life goes on and I'm still sure Winter has a plan in mind.

manic.street.preacher
01-14-2011, 11:29 AM
http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/original700/jon-conway-steven-lenhart-nana-attakora-ty-harden-2010-10-16-18-30-0.jpg

Alixir
01-14-2011, 11:53 AM
http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/original700/jon-conway-steven-lenhart-nana-attakora-ty-harden-2010-10-16-18-30-0.jpg
lol... Lenhart is such a fuckin wanker.

Wull
01-14-2011, 12:01 PM
The one moment I stopped being silent during our green and silent protest! :scarf:

manitou22
01-14-2011, 12:58 PM
I think Edwards is a good example of the standard MLS pool keeper that are a dime a dozen. I sincerely think Conway was a full step (or two) above that.
Agreed. Great team guy, low salary and performed well when called upon. He was an asset.
In his 6 starts ;
CCL - 2 wins Cruz Azul (2-1) & Arabe Unido (1-0) and 2 ties @Cruz Azul (0-0) & Salt Lake (1-1)
NCC - 1 tie @Vancouver (0-0)
MLS - 1 tie Columbus (2-2). We were winning 2-1 when he left the game at 72 minutes with a Dichiorrific red card (see above).

ag futbol
01-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Dude was getting old and his athleticism was totally shot. He was about as mobile as Pat Onstad.

I can't believe this is even worthy of debate.

Mark TFC
01-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Adios Conway, good luck to you.

BeerBaron95
01-15-2011, 04:54 PM

A friend is about to sign with Serbian White Eagles as their new keeper. When I asked about Kocic he told me he that he's staying in Serbia.

Dont know who your friend is or where you are getting this info from but its 100% wrong... talked to Milos myself and he laughed it off. He is not going anywhere and will suiting up and play backup to Frei for TFC this coming season. So get your facts straight before posting ;)

Kocic is going as well? Is there any reports on this, or has anyone else heard any rumblings from sources. I figured goalie was pretty much the one position I didn't have to worry about.

Nope not going anywhere. Straight from his mouth

jazzy
01-15-2011, 06:34 PM
lol... Lenhart is such a fuckin wanker.

right on and Conway was a great guy...and team player, shit he's gone but hopefully it's not over for him......thanx for the great job at a unforgiving position....and he always turned out for team benefits....although a philly's fan

jazzy
01-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Dude was getting old and his athleticism was totally shot. He was about as mobile as Pat Onstad.

I can't believe this is even worthy of debate.

uh? says fickle fan from the stands.......debate? how about thanx for giving us your best.....have you ever talked to the man or understood the difficulty of sitting on the bench, staying positive, while a younger keeper gets all the top games, all the while trying to stay positive and limber ready to go at a moments notice.......we had 2 pro goalies!...and Onstad never beats us ??......nice support

TFC14
01-17-2011, 11:39 AM
the guy is 33 and a backup... a 3rd round pick (which resulted in drafting an 18 year old prospect) more than justifies his worth.

Yohan
01-17-2011, 12:16 PM
the guy is 33 and a backup... a 3rd round pick (which resulted in drafting an 18 year old prospect) more than justifies his worth.
33 isn't exactly an expiry date for a GK. Conway still has a lot of game left in him

He will get his shot at being no1 in Chicago, since both of Chicago's GKs last season didn't work out so well. Big mistake by Chicago trading away Jon Busch. At least Conway will provide a veteran presence and mentoring to the two young GKs. Good trade for Chicago, for pretty cheap price

TFC14
01-17-2011, 04:36 PM
I think also the way the league is set up if you could find a young+cheap canadian alternative to back up frei it would give you a bit more freedom upfront to sign international players. Unless for injury your number 2 guy is really only going to play a few Canadian Championship games and friendlies anyways.

Relja
01-18-2011, 11:15 AM
The one game i listened to his play (was on the radio as I had to study :( ) he seemed to be doing very well and I was going crazy when I heard about what he did to Lenhart. I have a lot of respect for what he did and I hope he enjoys his new home, but I also think we could have gotten more for him.