PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC trialist 2011 thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Nuvinho
01-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Mods, if you don't find this thread useful please delete/merge. However, last year I started on like this so we could keep track of all the trialists at TFC (and there were many). This thread is not for players rumoured to come to TFC, but players who will actually be with TFC as they train in Turkey and Florida.

Trailists in Charlston:

Andrew Ornoch - Forward [On Trial]
Javier Martina - Forward [SIGNED]
Nick Soolsma - Forward [SIGNED]
Elbekay Bouchiba - Midfielder [SIGNED]
Gianluca Zavarise - Midfielder [SIGNED]
Mikael Yourassowsky - Defender [On Trial]
Dicoy Williams - Defender [On Trial]

Trailists in Florida:

Gianluca Zavarise - Midfielder [On Trial]
David Monsalve - Goalkeeper [On Trial]
Chris Hunter - Defender [On Trial]
Javier Martina - Forward [SIGNED?]
Nick Soolsma - Forward [SIGNED?]
Elbekay Bouchiba - Midfielder [SIGNED?]
Mikael Yourassowsky - Defender [On Trial]
Ivo De Heus - Midfieder [On Trial]
Jamal Gay - Forward [On Trial]
Joevin Jones - Forward [On Trial]

Trailists in Turkey:

Eddy Sidra - Defender [On Trial]
Gianluca Zavarise - Midfielder [On Trial]
David Monsalve - Goalkeeper [On Trial]
Santiago Gonzalez Areco - Forward [Left Camp]
Javier Martina - Forward [SIGNED]
Nick Soolsma - Forward [SIGNED]
Bas Ent - Midfielder [Left Camp]
King Osei Gyan - Midfielder [On Trial]
Elbekay Bouchiba - Midfielder [SIGNED]
Chris Hunter - Defender [On Trial]
Kevin Westmaas - Defender [On Trial]

__wowza
01-13-2011, 09:44 AM
i remember a trailist superthread not so long ago.
not too sure where it went, it was stickied.

Lucky Strike
01-13-2011, 10:18 AM
The superthread you're thinking of was for 2010 only, I'm pretty sure. But I hope it'll be a little different than years past where every schmo and his dog were invited.

That and it was no laughing matter that the joke of: "a Brazilian, a Frenchman, and a Swede walk into the TFC training facility..." actually had some basis to it.

Nuvinho
01-13-2011, 10:32 AM
The superthread you're thinking of was for 2010 only, I'm pretty sure. But I hope it'll be a little different than years past where every schmo and his dog were invited.

That and it was no laughing matter that the joke of: "a Brazilian, a Frenchman, and a Swede walk into the TFC training facility..." actually had some basis to it.

Ronaldinho (Brazilian), Viera (French), Larsson (Swede)??? Is that who is coming ;)

ManUtd4ever
01-13-2011, 10:37 AM
I have a feeling that we won't be subjected to the same never ending carousel of trialists as in years past. I believe that Winter and Mariner will bring in players that they are already familiar with and the majority will sign with the club. The last 4 years was a circus...

mastermixer
01-13-2011, 10:48 AM
I think I heard Winter say they are leaving for Turkey in two weeks. That does not leave much time to get some trialists on board.

Serb_Star
01-13-2011, 10:53 AM
It will be easy to find players to trial once in Turkey since there will be a ton of European clubs/ agents there, I expect to see a large amount of trialists.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-13-2011, 11:01 AM
I have a feeling that we won't be subjected to the same never ending carousel of trialists as in years past. I believe that Winter and Mariner will bring in players that they are already familiar with and the majority will sign with the club. The last 4 years was a circus...

cosign, we are finally dealing with professionals

aboveandbeyond
01-13-2011, 11:19 AM
this trip to Turkey is super exciting ..

euro tfc nice

TFCRegina
01-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Ronaldinho (Brazilian), Viera (French), Larsson (Swede)??? Is that who is coming ;)

Will be on MLS Rumours if it's not already.

ag futbol
01-13-2011, 05:54 PM
cosign, we are finally dealing with professionals
Yep, we might even try that 21st century thing of scouting players BEFORE they get to camp.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Yep, we might even try that 21st century thing of scouting players BEFORE they get to camp.

Godforbid!

VPjr
01-13-2011, 06:11 PM
People are going to need to be a bit patient. You have to believe these new guys are literally working 24 hours a day trying to line up players.

These guys have alot of credibility. we're not dealing with Mo anymore folks

TFCRegina
01-13-2011, 06:32 PM
People are going to need to be a bit patient. You have to believe these new guys are literally working 24 hours a day trying to line up players.

These guys have alot of credibility. we're not dealing with Mo anymore folks

Agreed.

maninb
01-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Mo would bring in anybody with a pulse and a pair of football boots...it was merely for show, case in point that Egyptian CB who had the pedigree and probably would have been a decent signing, but he trialed and then Mo shipped him out...there NEVER was any interest in signing him...

reggie
01-14-2011, 11:24 AM
the fact that Mo got a second contract is shocking,he had no player connections other then mcclain

djking2
01-14-2011, 08:03 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet Mariner has said they plan to trial European players while they're in Turkey and then South American based players when they train in Florida. I just hope for the sake of keeping a sane board and a happy fan base this management team makes it their job to inform us of who is and who isn't in camp. Daily training rosters posted online would be nice :)

ManUtd4ever
01-14-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet Mariner has said they plan to trial European players while they're in Turkey and then South American based players when they train in Florida. I just hope for the sake of keeping a sane board and a happy fan base this management team makes it their job to inform us of who is and who isn't in camp. Daily training rosters posted online would be nice :)

It's been mentioned a few times within the forums that Winter and Mariner have players lined up to trial with the club. I'm sure names will start flying in fast and furious soon and we can all put our scouting caps on...:D

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-15-2011, 01:39 AM
I'm sure wikipedia is going to get a work out sooner than later. I love the trialist thread more than Dr. Pepper, and I love me a Dr. Pepper.

Yohan
01-15-2011, 03:46 AM
It's been mentioned a few times within the forums that Winter and Mariner have players lined up to trial with the club. I'm sure names will start flying in fast and furious soon and we can all put our scouting caps on...:D
is that why barrett and conway got traded...

TFC already had a pretty decent cap space before the draft day

prizby
01-15-2011, 09:50 AM

I have actually said this in several other threads...Earl mentioned this to me in October...something tells me that based on this, they have some stuff lined up already

Luanda
01-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Where is the flury of activity?
Two days into the transfer window and NADA!

Ossington Mental Youth
01-17-2011, 07:33 AM
youre not going to find alot of FO's open and working on weekends

Nuvinho
01-17-2011, 08:15 AM
as well today, its MLK day in the US so won't see much action at the MLS head office. TFC will probably be sending over paperwork etc.

Ontario Arab
01-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Id much prefer they took their time and didnt rush into anything.......not like years gone past per say.......

TFCRegina
01-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Id much prefer they took their time and didnt rush into anything.......not like years gone past per say.......

You mean like when we started the season without a full roster?

Ontario Arab
01-18-2011, 08:03 PM
You mean like when we started the season without a full roster?
You know what I meant, not a chance that will happen again. Instead of trialing 20 diddys Id rather trial 5 players.:picard:

Red CB Toronto
01-18-2011, 08:29 PM
The Reds opened the 2009 season with 21 players available for selection I believe.

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-18-2011, 08:44 PM
I think it's not unrealistic to consider Monslave and all the draft picks other than Omphroy as trailists.

Luanda
01-18-2011, 11:49 PM
Given the new reality of the Reserve Team, the Supplemental Draft selections make better sense.

I think it's not unrealistic to consider Monslave and all the draft picks other than Omphroy as trailists.

Luanda
01-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Hum, so we are now end of Wednesday in North America, beginning of Thursday in Europe.

Nothing, NADA, with respect to signings or trialists. What does this mean?

Same old story. And hence, the flury of draftees from the Combine and the Supplemental draft.

It is going to take the new "management" team far longer than some would have it. In short, it looks like TFC is rebuilding from within.

I hope I am partly wrong.

TFCRegina
01-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Hum, so we are now end of Wednesday in North America, beginning of Thursday in Europe.

Same old story. And hence, the flury of draftees from the Combine and the Supplemental draft.

It is going to take the new "management" team far longer than some would have it. In short, it looks like TFC is rebuilding from within.

Relax. You don't sign players without a trial and some friendlies. It's foolish.

Nuvinho
01-19-2011, 11:06 PM
There is probably wheels in motion. Players have to report to Toronto next week - you'll then see the players who we signed. When they go to Turkey, you'll see who they are bringing in on trial.

ag futbol
01-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Relax. You don't sign players without a trial and some friendlies. It's foolish.
That's the Mo Johnston way of doing things. Some guys will not trial (especially for a MLS club) you just have to do your homework beforehand. It's good to have them in camp if you can, but it's not aways possible.

That being said, I have full faith that the management team (in pace for all of ... 2 weeks now?) are getting around

Naturegirl
01-20-2011, 12:38 AM
The team is leaving for Turkey on the 26th or 27th...i am arriving in Turkey on the 31st. i will do my best to keep track of who is practicing with the team as well as highlights from the three games they are playing and post updates for ya all.

Red CB Toronto
01-20-2011, 12:44 AM
That's the Mo Johnston way of doing things. Some guys will not trial (especially for a MLS club) you just have to do your homework beforehand. It's good to have them in camp if you can, but it's not aways possible.

That being said, I have full faith that the management team (in pace for all of ... 2 weeks now?) are getting around

Well Andy Welsh, was someone signed for $200,000 without trial and ended up returning to England after in some peoples opinion of not making the transition to the MLS. On the other hand don't know if anyone remembers Martin Brittain, who was never signed.

TFCRegina
01-20-2011, 01:42 AM

Actually it's the way most of the civilized world does things in football, Mo Johnston's behaviour correlating to a common behaviour is not an aberration. Or maybe it is, because MoJo rarely did things in any sane way.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2011, 07:29 AM
yep still not worried, more excited than anything

Oldtimer
01-20-2011, 08:16 AM
The "Mo Johnston way" of doing things is to wait until March to start signing players.

This team will have a much greater start on the season.

Joe Kool
01-20-2011, 09:35 AM

Winter already said in an interview that they will have the European players that they are looking at with them in Turkey and then guys from the Americas they are trialling join them in Florida so I am not worried about things yet. Now if nobody shows up but our current roster in Turkey then I will start questioning it.

ManUtd4ever
01-20-2011, 09:51 AM
So, based on the information leaked previously, the trialists mentioned were Andrew Ornoch, Bas Ent, Evan Schwartz, and perhaps Marek Mintal. Other than that, there will be 8 prospects from the Superdraft/Supplemental draft vying for roster spots with the big club...

TFCRegina
01-20-2011, 10:52 AM
So, based on the information leaked previously, the trialists mentioned were Andrew Ornoch, Bas Ent, Evan Schwartz, and perhaps Marek Mintal. Other than that, there will be 8 prospects from the Superdraft/Supplemental draft vying for roster spots with the big club...

And David Monsalve.

Plus potential trialists out of contract in Europe. As Turkey is a part of Europe, whether Europe wants to admit it or not.

Auzzy
01-20-2011, 11:49 AM
And David Monsalve.

Plus potential trialists out of contract in Europe. As Turkey is a part of Europe, whether Europe wants to admit it or not.

Well, actually... "10% (give or take) of Turkey is geographically in Europe, the rest in Asia." "Half of the city of Istanbul is in Asia, the other half in Europe, split down the middle by the Bosphorus."

Antalya, Turkey, where the TFC training camp, is definitely not (geographically) part of Europe... but pretty close, an easy trip, and a nicer climate to hang out in this part of the year, for anyone from Europe.

TFCRegina
01-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Well, actually... "10% (give or take) of Turkey is geographically in Europe, the rest in Asia." "Half of the city of Istanbul is in Asia, the other half in Europe, split down the middle by the Bosphorus."

Antalya, Turkey, where the TFC training camp, is definitely not (geographically) part of Europe... but pretty close, an easy trip, and a nicer climate to hang out in this part of the year, for anyone from Europe.

Depends on your definition of Europe. Antalya is considered part of Europe on basically all diplomatic definitions of what constitutes Europe, just as Caucasian countries like Azerbaijan and Armenia are.

Joe Kool
01-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Anyone learn any info on where they are going to be in Florida and when? I am down there for just over a week in February but I think they may still be in Turkey at the time. If they are around the area I am in I may make a day trip out of it.

dantdot
01-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Preseason schedule as of January 20, 2011.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - PLAYERS REPORT TO CAMP
Thursday, January 27, 2011 - TRAVEL TO ANTALYA, TURKEY
Wednesday, February 2, 2011 - MATCH V. PARTIZAN BELGRADE
Sunday, February 6, 2011 - MATCH TBA
Thursday, February 10, 2011 - MATCH V. DINAMO ZAGREB
Saturday, February 12, 2011 - RETURN TO TORONTO
Monday, February 21, 2011 - TRAVEL TO ORLANDO, FLORIDA
Thursday, February 24, 2011 - MATCH (Disney Tournament) v. TBA
Saturday, February 26, 2011 - MATCH (Disney Tournament) v. TBA
Wednesday, March 2, 2011 - TRAVEL TO CHARLESTON, SC FROM ORLANDO
Saturday, March 5, 2011 - MATCH (2011 Carolina Challenge Cup) V. CHICAGO FIRE, 5:00 P.M., CHARLESTON, SC
Wednesday, March 9, 2011 - MATCH (2011 Carolina Challenge Cup) V. CHARLESTON BATTERY, 7:15 P.M., CHARLESTON, SC
Saturday, March 12, 2011 - MATCH (2011 Carolina Challenge Cup) V. D.C. UNITED, 5:00 P.M., CHARLESTON, SC
Sunday, March 13, 2011 - RETURN TO TORONTO

Naturegirl
01-20-2011, 01:55 PM
TFC are staying and playing in Belek which is about 45km east from Antalya. Its also where all the German teams stayed and played a few weeks ago including Schalke.

The Turquoise Coast is definitely European influenced as its a major tourist hub. :)

Joe Kool
01-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Preseason schedule as of January 20, 2011.

Wednesday, January 25, 2011 - PLAYERS REPORT TO CAMP
Thursday, January 27, 2011 - TRAVEL TO ANTALYA, TURKEY
Wednesday, February 2, 2011 - MATCH V. PARTIZAN BELGRADE
Sunday, February 6, 2011 - MATCH TBA
Thursday, February 10, 2011 - MATCH V. DINAMO ZAGREB
Saturday, February 12, 2011 - RETURN TO TORONTO
Monday, February 21, 2011 - TRAVEL TO ORLANDO, FLORIDA
Wednesday, March 2, 2011 - TRAVEL TO CHARLESTON, SC FROM ORLANDO
Saturday, March 5, 2011 - MATCH (2011 Carolina Challenge Cup) V. CHICAGO FIRE, 5:00 P.M., CHARLESTON, SC
Wednesday, March 9, 2011 - MATCH (2011 Carolina Challenge Cup) V. CHARLESTON BATTERY, 7:15 P.M., CHARLESTON, SC
Saturday, March 12, 2011 - MATCH (2011 Carolina Challenge Cup) V. D.C. UNITED, 5:00 P.M., CHARLESTON, SC
Sunday, March 13, 2011 - RETURN TO TORONTO

And Wileman just tweeted:

Thanks for sched...I am in Orlando from Feb 12 - 21. Oh well, guess the kids will be allowed to go to DisneyWorld after all.

KRO
01-20-2011, 04:59 PM
The pre-season schedule has been updated to show the players reporting to camp next Tuesday 25th, not Wednesday.

ag futbol
01-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Actually it's the way most of the civilized world does things in football, Mo Johnston's behaviour correlating to a common behaviour is not an aberration. Or maybe it is, because MoJo rarely did things in any sane way.
I definitely do not see that as being true.

When the scales are tipped in certain directions trials simply do not happen, regardless of where in the world you're playing.

jloome
01-20-2011, 06:48 PM
I definitely do not see that as being true.

When the scales are tipped in certain directions trials simply do not happen, regardless of where in the world you're playing.

It's actually an apples-and-oranges, as there are two types of players available free: first teamers at career peak and non-first teamers looking to play more often.

The former generally does not trial. Ever.

The latter usually does, unless they have a stellar track record and their benching is obviously political.

So you're both right, and Mo is still an idiot.

hodgkiss
01-25-2011, 12:12 PM
not sure if this guy is at camp or will be at camp for that matter but if they have signed him, i would happy to see they have a striker in place...

http://www.mls-rumors.net/14373/2011/01/incoming-brazilian-striker-camilo-to-toronto-fc/

Whoop
01-25-2011, 12:18 PM
^^
Yohan could probably find some info on him.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-25-2011, 12:18 PM
yeah his name has been mentioned here a couple times in several other threads

ManUtd4ever
01-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Camilo Da Silva Sanvezzo also known as "Camilo", LOL. He had an unbelievable strike rate in Malta last year with 24 goals in 22 games. But, it was in the Maltese league so take that with a grain of salt. At the age of 22, he might have tremendous upside though...

Walnut
01-25-2011, 12:30 PM
not sure if this guy is at camp or will be at camp for that matter but if they have signed him, i would happy to see they have a striker in place...

http://www.mls-rumors.net/14373/2011/01/incoming-brazilian-striker-camilo-to-toronto-fc/

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20110125/sport/spartans-weigh-up-fenech-bids

24 goals in 22 games for his old Maltese team -- and he is 22 and appears to be injury free :)

Ossington Mental Youth
01-25-2011, 12:49 PM
dude might be able to pull 10 goals whihc would be worth it, prob for a decent price too. Id love to know how he did in Korea, which is a league of comparable talent, im guessing he was mostly used as a sub as it looks like he came mid season

ManUtd4ever
01-25-2011, 12:52 PM
dude might be able to pull 10 goals whihc would be worth it, prob for a decent price too. Id love to know how he did in Korea, which is a league of comparable talent, im guessing he was mostly used as a sub as it looks like he came mid season

Wiki shows 0 goals in 7 appearances. I'm not sure if he started or was a sub...

Walnut
01-25-2011, 12:59 PM
According to Wikipedia he joined the K-league in July. There season runs the same as MLS.

Lucky Strike
01-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Sportsnet Soccer tweets:

Looking forward to chatting with #TFC (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23TFC) players and coaches tomorrow. Wonder why Eddie Sidra is in town. Any connection?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Sidra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Sidra)

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Camilo might be interesting. I've often though TFC should try a player like him, someone who's scored a lot of goals at a lower level. Mo always tried to get the player with the big pedigree, and that never seemed to work out. Also at 22, he's on his way up.

hodgkiss
01-25-2011, 02:26 PM
i don't think sidra is with a club right now... so this could be a nice pick up. good little work rate on him... ornoch, sidra? nice...

wish we could pry jakovic or hailnault from dc and houston...

menefreghista
01-25-2011, 02:28 PM
i don't think sidra is with a club right now... so this could be a nice pick up. good little work rate on him... ornoch, sidra? nice...

wish we could pry jakovic or hailnault from dc and houston...

I think Ornoch is gone. TFC isn't going to sign him.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-25-2011, 02:34 PM
dont think hes gone, i have heard several times hes not as certain a signing as previously thought

reggie
01-25-2011, 02:50 PM
according to luke/twitter.
4 players from the acad going to turkey,morgan,cordon,makubuya,stinson.
who is makubuya?

TFCRegina
01-25-2011, 02:53 PM
who is makubuya?

Makubuya, Keith

Striker

North Mississauga - Club

St. Catherine's - Community

Luanda
01-25-2011, 04:35 PM
who is makubuya?

Plus the 8 from the draft, the numbers are adding up.
With the leftovers from 2010, we already have enough legs there to field 2 teams.

TFCRegina
01-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Plus the 8 from the draft, the numbers are adding up.
With the leftovers from 2010, we already have enough legs there to field 2 teams.

Not all the players will make the squad, and there will be a number of trialists likely signed. I don't expect any more than 3 of the draft picks to make the squad, and no more than 2 new academy products to make it.

BakaGaijin
01-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Camilo video:

http://www.football-brazil.com/camilo.html

Camilo passport details?!?!:

http://www.football-brazil.com/cvs/cv_player_camilo.pdf

ag futbol
01-25-2011, 05:48 PM
ahah, funny how they put those up online.

I just looked at his profile. Shows that he is 5'7. Guess the new staff is of the impression you can get away with a few undersized strikers in a 4-3-3

Have no idea who is actually going to pan out in the end but I like the direction the team is going right now with the players they are bringing in.

Nuvinho
01-25-2011, 06:10 PM
why are we putting speculation signings in a trialist thread? Isn't there one for our roster.

This thread was supposed to be for players who are here on trial. 3 pages of non-trialist posts.

Nuvinho
01-25-2011, 06:43 PM
up to 8 trialists will be in Turkey as per AW

Serb_Star
01-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Camilo might be interesting. I've often though TFC should try a player like him, someone who's scored a lot of goals at a lower level. Mo always tried to get the player with the big pedigree, and that never seemed to work out. Also at 22, he's on his way up.

That's what his Korean club was thinking before they signed him.

Buyer beware.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-25-2011, 10:04 PM
we dont know the extent of his playing time, not to mention only 7 games

Luanda
01-25-2011, 10:28 PM
The youngsters (draft and academy) will be used mainly for reserve team purposes.

19Barrett19
01-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Camilo da Silva Sanvezzo
scored 24 goals in malta

last year played in k-league only 7 appearances started 3 matches was subed out 2 times out of those 3. Was also used as a sub in 4 matches. Not sure of total min. played but technicaly played only 1 full match of 90+ min. thats all i could dig up on his stint in k-leauge. Not enough playing time if you ask me!

jloome
01-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Former Corinthians youth player who didn't make the cut.

TFCRegina
01-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Former Corinthians youth player who didn't make the cut.

Technically true, but not really.

He's a Corinthians player alright...but not for the famous Corinthians of Sao Paolo.

Sport Club Corinthians Alagoano, or Corinthians Alagoano, as they are usually called, is a Brazilian football team from Maceió in Alagoas, founded on April 4, 1991.
Home stadium is the Nelsão stadium, capacity 10,000.

Not to be confused with:

Sport Club Corinthians Paulista

--------------------------------------

Alagoano recently won a State title but is in the Third Division in Brazil...or was, they were just relegated.

No biggie though, because Maicon's old club isn't even in the 3rd Div any more. :)

Pigfynn
01-26-2011, 08:53 AM
I was very, very underwhelmed by that Camilo video.

Almost all clear breaks on the keeper goals...which he will rarely get in MLS and the rest were all either missed goals, him getting fouled or faking it and a nice free kick goal.

Not impressed with that at all. Those defenders in the Maltese league looked REALLY bad.

McBrace
01-26-2011, 08:56 AM
He looks to be playing in a league way below his level, making himself look very good... We shall see how he does in the preseason.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-26-2011, 09:10 AM
gonna judge him by how he plays for TFC rather than a youtube

TFC14
01-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Micheal Mifsud, Maltese International striker started his Career in Malta scoring 68 goals in 92 games...however he still had a decent career in Norway and eventually England...I still remember him scoring 2 for coventry in a 2-0 win to knock Man U out of the Carling Cup. There have been a number of players from the USL who have gone on to have successful careers in Europe...this guy is 22 and obviously somebody sees potential in his abilities I don't think the quality of the league deminishes whatever Winter and staff have seen in this guy.

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-27-2011, 12:05 AM
Couple of things I noticed on "the net". Someone in the Usector version of this thread indicated that in the presser live chat it was said that the team would release the names of the trialist for Turkey tomorrow. Also, Frei mentioned that Monslave will be in camp. Here's the quote:

[Comment From Mahmoud]
So you mentioned you will be releasing a list of players traveling... does that include the players on trial? The Whitecaps provide a full list of those under contract and those that are in camp!
10:25
Asif Hossain: Yes, it will include players on trial. I would also look more closely at the Whitecaps list. There are some names missing I bet.

Whoop
01-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Couple of things I noticed on "the net". Someone in the Usector version of this thread indicated that in the presser live chat it was said that the team would release the names of the trialist for Turkey tomorrow. Also, Frei mentioned that Monslave will be in camp.

Huzzah!

TFCRegina
01-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Gage is back training with the Whitecaps, but still out of contract...

Luanda
01-27-2011, 05:16 PM
So where is the list of trialists promised?

dantdot
01-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Asif's twitter:

Latest: waiting on paperwork. Still plan to make list public - running late, today in doubt, but it's coming. 10 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/asifintoronto/status/30733386288988160) via web in reply to canucksabroad (http://twitter.com/canucksabroad/status/30715660707307520)

Canada72
01-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Paul Mariner on extra time today would not mention who the trialists are.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/extratime

Around 14min mark

dantdot
01-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Bas Ent and Evan Schwartz will be joining TFC in Turkey according to this:

http://orangelegion1.blogspot.com/2011/01/1272011-bas-ent-headed-on-tfc-preseason.html

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-28-2011, 12:28 AM
Asif's twitter:

Latest: waiting on paperwork. Still plan to make list public - running late, today in doubt, but it's coming. 10 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/asifintoronto/status/30733386288988160) via web in reply to canucksabroad (http://twitter.com/canucksabroad/status/30715660707307520)
:picard: It was so close I could taste it. What a tease.

Luanda
01-28-2011, 07:00 AM
:picard: It was so close I could taste it. What a tease.

Yup, that is all they do.

TFC The Hague
01-28-2011, 09:34 AM
So, Luke Wileman just confirmed Eddy Sidra, Gianluca Zavarise and Monsalve are the three Canadian triallists on board with TFC this week.

TFCRegina
01-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Hmm, I believe I had also had Zavarise on my list of Canucks to look at along with Sidra. :)

From December 6th:

Adam Straith (Germany, 2. Bundesliga - strong start to season, fell out of favour, hasn't had much playing time - 1. Right Back 2. Centre-half)

David Edgar (England, Championship - Hasn't played much with Burnley, rare appearances in the Premiership and Championship over the last 3 years - 1. Centre-half, 2. Right/Left Back)

Julian Uccello (Italy, Serie B - Isn't getting many first team appearances - can produce at the Serie C1/C2 level, worked his way up to Serie B from lower leagues - Forward)

Paul Stalteri (Germany, 1. Bundesliga - Hasn't had a first team appearance in ages, currently looking at transferring out but nothing has come out, Diesel is the most capped Canadian International in history -1. Right back)

Massih Wassey (Germany, Regionalliga West (4) - Actually out of contract (wiki is out of date), previous club FC Schalke 04 II, has been capped by the CMNT, might be a good free pick up - Midfielder)

Eddie Sidra (Out of Contract - 56 Appearances in 3 years with Energie Cottbus (Germany, 2. Bundesliga), he did not look out of place when Canada tied Venezuela earlier this year in an away match and set up the free kick that got us a tie - 1. Left Back).

Gianluca Zavarise (MIA, Previously Greek Superleague with Iraklis Thessaloniki - Capped Canadian, nobody has heard of him in ages - midfielder)

Isidro Sanchez (Mexico Primera, Puebla FC - Not getting minutes, potential loan for depth - Midfielder)

Pedro Pacheco (Portugal, Liga de Honra (2) - Not sure if he's playing or not, can't find match reports, nothing mentioned about playing time on the V's website, merely that he's with Santa Clara, capped Canadian - Midfielder)

Gavin McCallum (England, League 2 - Not getting playing time at Lincoln City, was performing well with Hereford United in League 2 before transfer, played great football in Venezuela friendly earlier this year, capped Canadian International - Striker)

Kyle Porter (Canada, NASL - Out of contract, 1 appearance for Whitecaps in 2010, 16 appearances with Energie Cottbus II through 2008-2010 - Midfielder, believe him to play wide)

TFCDP
01-28-2011, 09:56 AM
So it looks like.... Ent, Schwartz, Monsalve, Sidra, Zavarise, are going to be on trial... I was expecting Europeans to be trialling not canadians playing in Europe or Europeans playing in N. America.. And whats this about Gudjonsen?

TFCRegina
01-28-2011, 10:03 AM
So it looks like.... Ent, Schwartz, Monsalve, Sidra, Zavarise, are going to be on trial... I was expecting Europeans to be trialling not canadians playing in Europe or Europeans playing in N. America.. And whats this about Gudjonsen?

I haven't heard anything from the club to suggest Ent and Schwartz are there.

It's based off of blog rumours.

Monsalve, Sidra, and Zavarise are confirmed. TFC has stated more will arrive in Antalya within a day.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-28-2011, 10:08 AM
also Gudjohnsen said he'd had offers but wants to play at Ajax

Red CB Toronto
01-28-2011, 10:22 AM
This makes sense and confirms what Paul Mariner said recently in an interview on MLS Extra Time.

He said 32 players were going to be in Turkey, which left me wondering based on the numbers that the club confirmed with the 14 players under contract, 4 Superdraft Picks and 4 academy players making the trip in addition to six players on trial who were meeting the club in Turkey. When you add that all up you get to 28.

So with Monsalve, Sidra, and Zavarise making the trip you get closer to that number of 32, being one off at this time. Now it could be as simple as Winter and company deciding to invite a 7th trialist from overseas, but we will never know officially until the Reds confirm it.

Stryker
01-28-2011, 10:29 AM
So how good is Sidra? Surely he'd be an improvement over Brennen, Hscanvics and Garcia.

bigtfcfan
01-28-2011, 10:37 AM
So how good is Sidra? Surely he'd be an improvement over Brennen, Hscanvics and Garcia.

I watched him play for the CMNT once. I think he'll do well here.

TFCRegina
01-28-2011, 10:55 AM

Had 56 Apps in Germany, I believe with Cottbus II.

Not the first team, but he played a fair bit in a technical league.

Serb_Star
01-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Cottbus II? what is that like the German 4th division?

I'm not exactly panty droppingly excited by that.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-28-2011, 11:37 AM
says he played for Cottbus in the Bundesliga 2 too, might have switched back and forth between first and second teams. just cus hes trialing doesnt mean hes signed

TFCRegina
01-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Cottbus II? what is that like the German 4th division?

I'm not exactly panty droppingly excited by that.

He's also only 21, and would have been 19-20 when getting those appearances.

To give you some idea of just how difficult it is to break into a good european squad when you're young...

Simeon Jackson at that age was playing 5th Division in England around that age. Germany is more technically skilled oriented than England as well at the lower divisions.

Things to keep in mind.

TFCRegina
01-28-2011, 11:43 AM
says he played for Cottbus in the Bundesliga 2 too, might have switched back and forth between first and second teams. just cus hes trialing doesnt mean hes signed

I'm just going off of what I had in discussion with folks over at the V's board in the past. I believe Ed (the german expert) had indicated that it was with Cottbus II, not Cottbus, as is reported. He may have been training with Cottbus, but Cottbus II is the reserve squad.

I might also be creating this flight of fancy in my mind. :D

drexel10
01-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Not sure if anybody has heard this, but a Chilean friend of mine just said that Suazo is signing with TFC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humberto_Suazo

TFCRegina
01-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Not sure if anybody has heard this, but a Chilean friend of mine just said that Suazo is signing with TFC.

Must be a Designated Player choice. Holy balls look at the resume.

I don't buy it though. The guy is linked to EPL and La Liga sides.

Pachuco
01-28-2011, 12:03 PM

SUAZO? hahaha, yeah right. Not a chance. I have a friend who is in with the Chilean national team. I'll ask and see. I don't believe this rumour at all though. Chupete is way to good to be looking at Toronto at this point in his career.

Whoop
01-28-2011, 12:05 PM
I agree. No way.

drexel10
01-28-2011, 12:09 PM
That is why I am asking. My buddy said it boldly with a "you heard it first." The last guy who said something to me was bang on.

Chevy
01-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Killer signing (if true). I would imagine he would be looking for $2.5M+??

Ossington Mental Youth
01-28-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm just going off of what I had in discussion with folks over at the V's board in the past. I believe Ed (the german expert) had indicated that it was with Cottbus II, not Cottbus, as is reported. He may have been training with Cottbus, but Cottbus II is the reserve squad.

I might also be creating this flight of fancy in my mind. :D

HAHA i watch the bundesliga and admittedly dont pay too much attention to the bundesliga 2, ill have to say hes got the advantage on this one

this would be an amazing signing. although im highly doubtful of it.

DangerRed
01-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Suazo? Are you high? The transfer fee alone would be at LEAST $10 million. Then we'd be picking up a massive DP salary on top of that. Even if MLSE was willing to splash out that much on a player, this dude isn't 30 yet and could do much better in La Liga where he just finished a loan and where (don't know if this is still accurate) Real Zaragoza has an option to buy him.

Yohan
01-28-2011, 12:29 PM
yeah... those I find it amusing that Suazo apparently played for NYRB youth academy (wtf?) i didn't know one of those existed back in late 90s

Detroit_TFC
01-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Can't see it happening.

I will however, savor the thought just for a second. Mmmmm.

jloome
01-28-2011, 12:30 PM
I haven't heard anything from the club to suggest Ent and Schwartz are there.

It's based off of blog rumours.

Dutch Lions, their PDL team, confirmed it yesterday.

Suazo I can actually see coming to MLS. It's not likely, but the circumstances are there to make it posssible.

He's not likely to get a look from a top-six club and can actually make more as a Thierry Henry-level DP in MLS than he might make in Europe.

At Monterrey, he wouldn't have been on much better than $6,000-$7,000 per week. Even if Zaragoza gave him good La Liga money of say, $90,000 a week, that's still only $4.6 million a season. If Red Bulls are will to pay Thierry Henry $100,000 per week, maybe TFC is will to do the same with Suazo.

Yeah, probably wishful thinking.

ensco
01-28-2011, 12:32 PM
^Bigsoccer has had a bunch of threads about players supposedly wanting out of Mexico because of the wave of kidnappings there last year. I have no idea if that's true.

Seems to me Suazo would sell a lot more tickets at a Houston or a Chivas, than in Toronto

Ossington Mental Youth
01-28-2011, 12:33 PM
yeah... those I find it amusing that Suazo apparently played for NYRB youth academy (wtf?) i didn't know one of those existed back in late 90s

HAHA caught that too, looks like it might be nonsense to me.
i know its unrealistic however itd be amazing to have any striker of his calibre up here

jloome
01-28-2011, 12:34 PM
^Bigsoccer has had a bunch of threads about players supposedly wanting out of Mexico because of the wave of kidnappings there last year. I have no idea if that's true.

Seems to me Suazo would sell a lot more tickets at a Houston or a Chivas, than in Toronto

Yeah...not saying it's likely dude, just possible. I don't think either HOuston or Chivas' ownership would cough up $5.2M a year. MLSE's accustomed to doing it.

Yohan
01-28-2011, 12:35 PM
i know it is a bit of wishful thinking, but KC pried Chivas legend Omar Bravo out of Mexico at age 30. so it isn't that far fetched as I am concerned

ensco
01-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Yeah...not saying it's likely dude, just possible. I don't think either HOuston or Chivas' ownership would cough up $5.2M a year. MLSE's accustomed to doing it.

AEG to Dynamo: Find a DP, and go big (OK so it's a 6 month old story, but still interesting)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/aeg-dynamo-find-dp-and-go-big

Pachuco
01-28-2011, 12:36 PM

Suazo I can actually see coming to MLS. It's not likely, but the circumstances are there to make it posssible.

He's not likely to get a look from a top-six club and can actually make more as a Thierry Henry-level DP in MLS than he might make in Europe.

At Monterrey, he wouldn't have been on much better than $6,000-$7,000 per week. Even if Zaragoza gave him good La Liga money of say, $90,000 a week, that's still only $4.6 million a season. If Red Bulls are will to pay Thierry Henry $100,000 per week, maybe TFC is will to do the same with Suazo.

The challenge is the transfer fee. We have yet to see the MLS splash out money like that for a transfer fee.

mastermixer
01-28-2011, 12:38 PM
I smell an MLSRumours article brewing....

ManUtd4ever
01-28-2011, 12:38 PM
If Suazo was out of contract, it would still be a longshot at best. Based on the history of DP signings in MLS, I seriously doubt the league would be willing to pay a transfer fee at all, let alone over 10 million dollars. MLS is in the business of selling players, not buying them.

Whoop
01-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Doesn't he make $5 million/season?

Ossington Mental Youth
01-28-2011, 12:44 PM
whens his contract up?

Ossington Mental Youth
01-28-2011, 12:46 PM
i do wonder how close we are to signing Gudjohansen

DangerRed
01-28-2011, 12:50 PM
There's a Lancashire Telegraph story out there from Jan 19th saying Wigan Athletic are watching Suazo for a deal as well.

EPL (maybe nPower Championship) or MLS. What's a guy to do?

DangerRed
01-28-2011, 12:51 PM
i do wonder how close we are to signing Gudjohansen

Doesn't look like it's happening. He wants Ajax and said he'll take a deal with them even if he's offered less than what we're offering.

"Stoke City attacker Eidur Gudjohnsen says he will pass up the money from an MLS offer to take a pay cut in joining Ajax..." -Soccer365

Ossington Mental Youth
01-28-2011, 12:58 PM
yeah thats what i read too

TFCRegina
01-28-2011, 01:36 PM
2007/08 - 19 - Energie Cottbus U19's
2008/09 - 15 - Energie Cottbus U23's
2009/10 - 14 - Energie Cottbus U23's.

Sidra's apps for Cottbus.

Looks like Wiki is wrong.

reggie
01-28-2011, 01:44 PM
his he a left sided player?

Ossington Mental Youth
01-28-2011, 01:45 PM
i might be wrong but i seem to remember he plays leftback but can play both

reggie
01-28-2011, 01:51 PM
we could sure use some depth on the left side.

BeerBaron95
01-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Ok lemme kill this rumor right off the bat.. Humberto Suazo is not and will not sign with TFC.. so whoever your friend is tell him to stop blowing smoke up your ass... I also have friends on the Chilean national team program and still have connections through my cousin @ Colo Colo who he has close ties with both club and Humberto. MLSE will not fork over 5mil per just yet on players.

He will not resign at Sevilla as he wanted out of there due to the rampant racism and criticism he took at his short time there after he was loaned by Monterrey. Thats why he's back in Mexico and is not looking to go back Spain.

Killer signing (if true). I would imagine he would be looking for $2.5M+??

Suazo will make 5mil minimum.. hes a proven goal scorer. Chelsea was offering 41mil to Udinese for Alexis Sanchez who though plays a 10 role doesnt have the scoring frequency of Suazo, so take that into account when trying to figure out salary + Transfer fee

Chivas might be a destination but they cant fork out the money he would make and forget about houston , no chance of him going there

Auzzy
01-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Suazo will make 5mil minimum.. hes a proven goal scorer. Chelsea was offering 41mil to Udinese for Alexis Sanchez who though plays a 10 role doesnt have the scoring frequency of Suazo, so take that into account when trying to figure out salary + Transfer fee

... and then we would also need to pay $5.1 million to you-know-who... :D

bignickel
01-28-2011, 02:07 PM

Hahahaha....post of the year!

JonO
01-28-2011, 02:08 PM
The challenge is the transfer fee. We have yet to see the MLS splash out money like that for a transfer fee.
I know I've mentioned it before, but the reason for this is that the transfer fee counts towards the cap, so in most cases it's prohibitive

BeerBaron95
01-28-2011, 02:15 PM

correct lol.

torfchamilton
01-28-2011, 03:09 PM
So other than the 3 Canadians, no news on the other trialists? Perhaps waiting to see if they actually show up before they release any news. I remember somebody last year, a Portuguese player I think that was supposed to trial and never showed.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-28-2011, 03:10 PM
theres supposed to be some euro trialists as well as mentioned by Mariner in several interviews.

Auzzy
01-28-2011, 03:20 PM
"More trialists will meet up with the squad in Turkey over the next 24 hours."

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/canadian-trialists-board

I assume they want to make sure they have all the paperwork in order, wrt. permissions, insurance, etc., and that the guys actually show up, before announcing their names.................

Nuvinho
01-28-2011, 03:29 PM
"More trialists will meet up with the squad in Turkey over the next 24 hours."

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/canadian-trialists-board

I assume they want to make sure they have all the paperwork in order, wrt. permissions, insurance, etc., and that the guys actually show up, before announcing their names.................

You mean like DeRo ;)

Ageroo
01-28-2011, 03:40 PM
You mean like DeRo ;)

According to DeRo's personal facebook page he is on the flight to Turkey....so he is there.

Nuvinho
01-28-2011, 03:43 PM
According to DeRo's personal facebook page he is on the flight to Turkey....so he is there.

I meant when he went to Celtic without paperwork :) (sorry we have to get DeRo's name in every thread going forward..haha!)

rocker
01-28-2011, 04:48 PM
I meant when he went to Celtic without paperwork :) (sorry we have to get DeRo's name in every thread going forward..haha!)

so De Ro has his paperwork eh! he got permission! oh wait, he already HAS a contract with TFC. I forgot.

Oldtimer
01-28-2011, 07:58 PM
so De Ro has his paperwork eh! he got permission! oh wait, he already HAS a contract with TFC. I forgot.

It seems like he wants to forget that, as well. :D

TFCRegina
01-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Another player in the list, Massih Wassey, supposedly will have some news related to him next week. He's currently trialing at FC Emmen. I wonder what it could be...it would be too obvious to say he's signing with them. Maybe he's signing with us?

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-28-2011, 10:05 PM
TFCRegina - I very impressed that some of your Canadian targets are trialing with the team. I give mad web props if you can case any of the international trailists.

TFCRegina
01-28-2011, 10:18 PM
TFCRegina - I very impressed that some of your Canadian targets are trialing with the team. I give mad web props if you can case any of the international trailists.

I wish I could! I don't have the knowledge of Europe that would be useful. I'm sure if I went through the Bosman transfer availability list goal.com has, I'd be able to assemble a little list of my own.

But really, picking those Canadians out was fairly easy in some respects, but not in others.

I went to the Canucks Abroad and Canucks MIA thread on the Voyageurs Site and started pulling some names from Div 4 and up... I even excluded a couple that were playing regularly in Germany's 4th Division because they're quite young and will probably make Liga 3 or higher at some point.

TFCwestcan
01-29-2011, 12:14 AM
I don't know about anyone else but I am kind of excited about this upcoming season, it seems overall that the league is attracting some good talent, and in particular with TFC it does not seems as panic ridden and last minute as last year. I heard Mariner on the Extra -time radio and he sounds very straight forward and focused on the task at hand.

Now if we can only get some unbiased reports from Turkey ....

TFCRegina
01-29-2011, 01:29 AM
Massih Wassey's news is revealed! Or at least partially.

After a brief google search, his trial at FC Emmen has been cut short and he's back to Germany to sign with a 2.Bundesliga side! So no, we don't get him. :(

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-29-2011, 02:28 AM
I wish I could! I don't have the knowledge of Europe that would be useful. I'm sure if I went through the Bosman transfer availability list goal.com has, I'd be able to assemble a little list of my own.

But really, picking those Canadians out was fairly easy in some respects, but not in others.

I went to the Canucks Abroad and Canucks MIA thread on the Voyageurs Site and started pulling some names from Div 4 and up... I even excluded a couple that were playing regularly in Germany's 4th Division because they're quite young and will probably make Liga 3 or higher at some point.

I took a looked up the Bosman list for the Eredivisie, specifically Ajax. They've got a number of players available on frees (though I assume that TFC would need to negotiate an early release from their contracts if they hoped to have them for the MLS season).

Just for fun here's the list:

Ajax
Ronald Graafland
30 Apr 1979 Goalkeeper
Andre Ooijer
11 Jul 1974 Defender
Oleguer 3 Feb 1980 Defender
Thimothee Atouba
17 Feb 1982 Defender
Urby Emanuelson
16 Jun 1986 Midfielder
Teemu Tainio
27 Nov 1979 Midfielder
Mitchell Donald
10 Dec 1988 Midfielder
Roly Bonevacia
18 Oct 1991 Midfielder
Aras Ozbiliz
09 Mar 1990 Attacker
Hyun-Jun Suk
29 Jun 1991 Attacker
Marvin Zeegelaar
12 Aug 1990 Attacker
Darko Bodul
11 Jan 1989 Attacker
Florian Jozefzoon
09 Feb 1991 Attacker
Lorenzo Ebecilio
24 Sep 1991 Attacker

There's some young attacking players on the list, I'm sure Winter and de Clerk would familiar with them

denime
01-29-2011, 09:15 AM
TFC to trial 6 new faces during trip to Turkey (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/tfc-trial-6-new-faces-during-trip-turkey)

Also joining the club in Europe are three young Canadian trialists that flew over from Toronto: defender Eddy Sidra, midfielder Gianluca Zavarise and Canadian goalkeeper David Monsalve.

Batman
01-29-2011, 09:58 AM
TFC to trial 6 new faces during trip to Turkey (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/tfc-trial-6-new-faces-during-trip-turkey)

That's interesting.

So there are 6 players OTHER than the 3 Canadians that are listed.

When you combine that with the SuperDraftees, the Supplementary draftees, and the yet unknown players that are joining them in the US later on, there are going to be quite a few players to choose from.

Even though we don't know about the quality the majority, this sure seems like a WORLD of progress from the MoJo era.
:scarf:

Oldtimer
01-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Even though we don't know about the quality the majority, this sure seems like a WORLD of progress from the MoJo era.

What.. Barry McLean's list of unemployed soccer players is not an ideal source??? :D

19Barrett19
01-29-2011, 10:37 AM
:flare:WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG! its like 5:00pm in turkey right now and still no news. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

ManUtd4ever
01-29-2011, 10:45 AM
That's interesting.

So there are 6 players OTHER than the 3 Canadians that are listed.

When you combine that with the SuperDraftees, the Supplementary draftees, and the yet unknown players that are joining them in the US later on, there are going to be quite a few players to choose from.

Agreed. In addition to the 14 incumbent players returning from last season, that would bring the total to 17 players vying for a roster spot in Turkey plus the unknown number of trialists that are to join the club while in Florida. It's obvious that Winter and Mariner have been busy behind the scenes in preparation for the upcoming season.

ArmenJBX
01-29-2011, 11:13 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/content/tfc-turkey

Some pictures are up

ArmenJBX
01-29-2011, 11:14 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/old-friends-new-teams

Ruud Gullit is chilling with the boys, it seems.

19Barrett19
01-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Luke start writing about trialist in turkey not some russian coach.

ManUtd4ever
01-29-2011, 11:27 AM
DeRo doesn't look too happy...

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/photos_gallery_view/image_nodes/2011/01/Calista8.jpg

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Nuvinho
01-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Ruud probably could still suit up and be our best striker.

I think DeRo in that pic is trying the Ruud Gullit hairstyle.

ArmenJBX
01-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Who's beside Gargan?

Nuvinho
01-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Who's beside Gargan?

Sturgis.

Nuvinho
01-29-2011, 11:56 AM
list of trialists will be released this afternoon on torontofc.ca

Auzzy
01-29-2011, 11:57 AM
RE trialists' names, Dero's facial expression: so much ado about nothing. How about the normally-bubbly Gargan's facial expression? I bet Gargan's also not too happy because he's not getting the DP contract he was hoping for... GMAFB!!! BTW that "some Russian coach" is Ruud Gullit, and yes I'm very interested to see that Winter met up with him, and that Gullit's team from Chechnya is also training in Turkey.

I think the guys look pretty neutral, and much happier than I would, after a overnight & delayed flight plus connecting flight. Especially if some guy was sticking a camera in my face while I'm have having mid-day breakfast, before starting training at 3:30 pm local time (8:30 am Toronto) on the day of arrival. And why the heck should Dero have his hair done up like normal in those circumstances? (EDIT OK maybe I've gotten the days confused & they've been there one day already, but they definitely haven't had time to adjust to a 7-hour time difference & fully recuperate from the travel.)

Oh & BTW, TFC will release the trialists' names no earlier & no later than they are able to release those names, and have time to get the info & approval to release info back to Toronto. I think TFC fans should really hope that the team crosses all t's and dots all i's before they confirm who is on trial. Do we really want some promising European trialist sent home, because his current team is pissed, because he started a trial before insurance or some other bureaucracy is ready? (What do we do if some office is closed for the weekend, and we can't get the full list of names until Monday: have a nervous breakdown?) Overall, I would much rather that the team & management focus on training (and on resolving contract issues for old & new players), before worrying about sending us lists of names. Luke is in Toronto, BTW.

Long story short: chill. And I will do the same.

Nuvinho
01-29-2011, 12:04 PM
jamessharman (http://twitter.com/jamessharman)

Amongst trialists, expect to see Javier Martina. Young striker formerly of Ajax system. Winter connections at work. #tfc (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javier_Martina

played on the Holland U-19 and U-20 team

BeerBaron95
01-29-2011, 12:04 PM
RE trialists' names, Dero's facial expression: so much ado about nothing. How about the normally-bubbly Gargan's facial expression? I bet Gargan's also not too happy because he's not getting the DP contract he was hoping for... GMAFB!!! BTW that "some Russian coach" is Ruud Gullit, and yes I'm very interested to see that Winter met up with him, and that Gullit's team from Chechnya is also training in Turkey.

I think the guys look pretty neutral, and much happier than I would, after a overnight & delayed flight plus connecting flight. Especially if some guy was sticking a camera in my face while I'm have having mid-day breakfast, before starting training at 3:30 pm local time (8:30 am Toronto) on the day of arrival. And why the heck should Dero have his hair done up like normal in those circumstances? (EDIT OK maybe I've gotten the days confused & they've been there one day already, but they definitely haven't had time to adjust to a 7-hour time difference & fully recuperate from the travel.)

Oh & BTW, TFC will release the trialists' names no earlier & no later than they are able to release those names, and have time to get the info & approval to release info back to Toronto. I think TFC fans should really hope that the team crosses all t's and dots all i's before they confirm who is on trial. Do we really want some promising European trialist sent home, because his current team is pissed, because he started a trial before insurance or some other bureaucracy is ready? (What do we do if some office is closed for the weekend, and we can't get the full list of names until Monday: have a nervous breakdown?) Overall, I would much rather that the team & management focus on training (and on resolving contract issues for old & new players), before worrying about sending us lists of names. Luke is in Toronto, BTW.

Long story short: chill. And I will do the same.

to make an even longer story shorter.. u just chill
:flare:

ArmenJBX
01-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Martina, good player. I remember watching him for the U-20s

Auzzy
01-29-2011, 12:10 PM
That post was a few minutes ago. I'm already chillin by now.

BeerBaron95
01-29-2011, 12:11 PM
jamessharman (http://twitter.com/jamessharman)

Amongst trialists, expect to see Javier Martina. Young striker formerly of Ajax system. Winter connections at work. #tfc (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javier_Martina

played on the Holland U-19 and U-20 team

Do u wait for official statement from TFC before posting them under the trialist list on first page? just curious.

Cheers

BeerBaron95
01-29-2011, 12:12 PM
That post was a few minutes ago. I'm already chillin by now.

okdk

icecoldbeer
01-29-2011, 12:12 PM
DeRo doesn't look too happy...

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/photos_gallery_view/image_nodes/2011/01/Calista8.jpg

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Needs more money to get his hair did

Nuvinho
01-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Do u wait for official statement from TFC before posting them under the trialist list on first page? just curious.

Cheers

The official statement - I am assuming that this year TFC will keep us more in the loop than previous years.

brad
01-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Dero couldn't possibly be jet lagged after flying overseas.

TFC14
01-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Needs more money to get his hair did
LOL i think hes going for jheri curls for the 2011 season...although I'd prefer he went back to the rasta style

http://i36.tinypic.com/11gsw47.jpg

Auzzy
01-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to see some playoff beards this year? ;)

I mean, they will probably be ugly beards, but still nice to see.

BeerBaron95
01-29-2011, 12:25 PM
The official statement - I am assuming that this year TFC will keep us more in the loop than previous years.

true.. just askin. thx

TFC14
01-29-2011, 12:25 PM
It would be nice to see for any sports team in Toronto actually....

dantdot
01-29-2011, 12:30 PM
http://twitpic.com/3uk80u

Lists out at 1pm

gracos
01-29-2011, 12:52 PM
List probably will be out at 1:01pm, lol, im just kidding, but should be fairly interesting on who TFC potentially could sign

ag futbol
01-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Finally we have something good to speculate on !

bman27
01-29-2011, 01:00 PM
list is up http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/reds-reveal-trialists

gracos
01-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Quoted from Toronto FC website:

"After a 10 hour flight from Toronto to Istanbul, and a short connection to Antalya, Toronto FC’s players arrived at their Turkey training base at Calista Luxury Resort late Friday night local time, and took to the training pitch for the first time on Saturday (3:30 p.m. local).

When the squad arrived in Turkey they were met by a number of trialists who will be training with the team over the next two weeks. Javier Martina, Bas Ent, King Osei Gyan and Santiago Gonzalez Areco joined the squad on their first full day in Antalya. Nick Soolsma is scheduled to arrive on Sunday.

Martina is a 23-year-old Dutch striker who spent three years in Ajax Academy before being promoted to the senior team. He spent time on loan at HFC Haarlem in 2010.

Dutch midfielder Ent spent time on trial with Toronto FC last season and appeared in the Carlsberg Cup international friendly against Bolton Wanderers at BMO Field. He played for Dayton Dutch Lions in the USL PDL last season.

King Osei Gyan is a Ghanaian midfielder who was signed by Fulham in the English Premier League in 2007 but did not make an appearance for the London club and was loaned to Germinal Beerschot in Belgium.

Santiago Gonzalez Areco is Uruguayan forward who has represented his country at under 17 level. He was included in the Uruguay squad for the FIFA U17 World Cup in Nigeria in 2009. The 18-year-old has been playing in his home country for Atletico River Plate Montevideo’s B Team.

Nick Soolsma is a 23-year-old Dutch striker who has played in the Netherlands for HFC Haarlem and VV Young Boys.

Three Canadian trialists are also with the squad – David Monsalve, Eddy Sidra and Gianluca Zavarise.

Winter will also be keeping a close eye on four Toronto FC Academy players who made the trip - Matt Stinson, Oscar Cordon, Keith Makubuya and Ashtone Morgan."

ag futbol
01-29-2011, 01:04 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Gyan_Osei

werewolf
01-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Areco could be the most promising, still at a young developmental age and must have some sort of talent to make the U17 national team.

Yohan
01-29-2011, 01:07 PM
interesting that TFC has young players on trial... meaning Winter wants players who can still learn the game, and can be molded to play his brand of football

Nuvinho
front page updated.

bman27
glad to see that they are all under 23, the best way to move forward is with young talented players, lets just hope they are talented!

Ossington Mental Youth
nice! some decent prospects there!

ag futbol
01-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Also noticed this: Nick Soolsma

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/tfc-squad-list-turkey

gracos
01-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Also noticed this: Nick Soolsma

His name appeared in the article that TFC posted, if thats not what you are pointing i dont know what you are

ag futbol
01-29-2011, 01:13 PM
nice! some decent prospects there!
Really tough to tell what we're dealing with IMO. But on the other hand why not go young? Definitely like that idea.

I'll be interested to see if the trialists we get in the second leg in florida are more established.

Nuvinho
01-29-2011, 01:14 PM
What about our other draft pick Burgos or something, did they leave him in TO with the Academy team?

Ron Manager
01-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Only 3 of our 8 draft picks on the list. Wonder why the others aren't there? Just an omission, or maybe didn't want to pay the bill for them and prefer to just see them in Florida?

Auzzy
01-29-2011, 01:17 PM
What about our other draft pick Burgos or something, did they leave him in TO with the Academy team?

Yes, I was also wondering what's up with Efrain Burgus, TFC's 3rd Superdraft pick.

Keyman
01-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Gonzalez, another short striker. He's listed at 5'8 on the site I checked.

Auzzy
01-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Only 3 of our 8 draft picks on the list. Wonder why the others aren't there? Just an omission, or maybe didn't want to pay the bill for them and prefer to just see them in Florida?

It was mentioned beforehand by the team, that only the Superdraft picks would be coming along, not the Supplementals -- they're with the Academy for this time. Burgos is the surprising omission today.

TFC14
01-29-2011, 01:19 PM
nice to see a youth movement...it will be interesting to see what south american's they trial. Looks like they really gave this some thought.

TFCRegina
01-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Likely we'll see the Supplementals at the Florida camp.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Really tough to tell what we're dealing with IMO. But on the other hand why not go young? Definitely like that idea.

I'll be interested to see if the trialists we get in the second leg in florida are more established.

considering pedigree, id say they all show promise, itll be up to winter whether theyre deserving of joining the team

moralis
01-29-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm a little concerned that there aren't any central defenders or left backs in Turkey, hope Winter brings in one or two defenders, at least to Turkey. All we have at left back is Ashtone Morgan (Academy).

Are you guys worried about how are defense looks like? Right now pretty slim.

TFCRegina
01-29-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm a little concerned that there aren't any central defenders or left backs in Turkey, hope Winter brings in one or two defenders, at least to Turkey. All we have at left back is Astone Morgan (Academy).

Are you guys worried about how are defense looks like? right now pretty slim.

Eddy Sidra is a fullback as well.

jloome
01-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Gonzalez, another short striker. He's listed at 5'8 on the site I checked.

Very young, only played 52 minutes for the U17 team. Surprised if he makes it, only because kids his age are usually transitioning to the 'a' team in South American leagues by now. Don't know anything else about him, tough to find info.

5'7' is pretty average height for a soccer player. Not everyone's a proto-modern 6' plus-agile-as-hell Drogba type!

Disappointed the irish kid didn't make the trip. But it makes sense if everyone's going to get a proper look. They'll probably have the supplementals in Florida.

DangerRed
01-29-2011, 01:36 PM
This is fucking amazing news and I'm pumped for the season ahead. While you never know how these guys will do in the MLS, it's so refreshing to see some young faces in the trialist list. Also remember these are just the Europeans. We're going to see an entirely different batch of Latin American players when the team's in Florida.

This is exactly how you overhaul a team. Not by signing Preki and Mista but by dumping all the trash and starting fresh. And we're only in January!

The one negative thing to say is Ruud Gullit is hanging around, given the absolutely SHIT job he did at the Galaxy. Let's not forget he resigned at the end of a seven-game winless streak and he fought with players constantly. I hope Winter is only taking Gullit's advice on stuff related to the Dutch players and not to his time in the MLS.

Gullit doesn't know shit about shit when it comes to the MLS and I hope Winter or at least Mariner realizes this.

TFC14
01-29-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm a little concerned that there aren't any central defenders or left backs in Turkey, hope Winter brings in one or two defenders, at least to Turkey. All we have at left back is Ashtone Morgan (Academy).

Are you guys worried about how are defense looks like? Right now pretty slim.
Eddy Sidra is a 21 year old defender on Trial who's made 3 caps for Canada...don't forget Gomez is healthy this year. I feel actually better about our D this year than last...don't forget we had Garcia playing LB for a lot of the season...hopefully Omphrey can add something to the RB and Gargan can play left if they can't find a natural LB...other than that you have Cann and Attakora in center like last year with Harden and Gomez as your subs right now.

Keyman
01-29-2011, 01:38 PM
http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/07/01/2004821/fulham-release-king-gyan-osei-as-manchester-city-and-arsenal

Ghanaian youngster King Gyan Osei has left Fulham after his contract was not renewed, leading to speculation that Arsenal and Manchester City could pounce for his signature.

The highly-rated midfielder arrived at Craven Cottage in 2007 but made no appearances in England, instead spending his entire tenure on loan at Germinal Beerschot in Belgium.

This long-term loan was carried out for work permit reasons, and it is understood that red tape also played a major part in Fulham's decision to part company with the midfielder, who has so far failed to gain EU residency.

Without this status his prospects of playing in England seem slim, but it is rumoured that both Arsenal and City are seeking alternative ways of registering Gyan ahead of the new campaign.

Gyan, 21, is renowned as a stalwart defensive influence in the Belgian Jupiler League, although he has been viewed as both short and lightweight by his detractors.

With the possible acquisition of a more defensive-minded holding midfielder could we maybe see De Guzman move into a more attacking position, akin his role with the CMNT at the Gold Cup?

moralis
01-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Eddy Sidra is a right back, he's played most of his carrer in that position. We also have Dan Gargan, Demetrius Omphroy.

It also seems that we have a lot of young players, we need to add some experienced players. Most importantly at centre back.

ManUtd4ever
01-29-2011, 01:39 PM
It definitely seems like Winter values technical ability over size. It remains to be seen whether that philosophy will pay off in the rough and tumble MLS. I think our team will be have to play a possession oriented game and draw fouls in order to succeed...

dantdot
01-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Some video of Javier Martina(Ajax Youth)

http://segvideo.seginternational.com/play.php?vid=77

TFC14
01-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Eddy Sidra is a right back, he's played most of his carrer in that position. We also have Dan Gargan, Demetrius Omphroy.

It also seems that we have a lot of young players, we need to add some experienced players. Most importantly at centre back.
Cann and Attakora will take up the center same as last year I'm assuming. Harden and Gomez are both CB's I wouldn't mind having a more veteran versatile defender in the lineup in case of injury and to help with these younger defenders but I think our defense situation is looking pretty good when you compare to what we had last year...Usanov, Hescaonvic, Garcia

ArmenJBX
01-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Hmmm....there's a lot of...players...now!

I'm so used to having to put certain players in their position, what with such a thin roster. Now though...oh boy :P

bigtfcfan
01-29-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm very excited about TFC for this coming season. Seems like Winter is going for small technical players, which is a good thing IMO. We all know a famous team built around that premise :D

Keyman
01-29-2011, 01:49 PM

Looks like he has great pace, but it seems like he's quite erratic with the ball at his feet.

jloome
01-29-2011, 01:55 PM

Even keeping in mind that it's at youth speed (these are all youth team vids) this kid looks like he's got something to offer technically.

Interesting to see how he'd react to the speed and strength of defenders at MLS level.

Nuvinho
01-29-2011, 01:56 PM
He gets the cross off even when defenders are closing him down. His skill is evident, but will he fit in with the existing players.

TFC14
01-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Looks like he has great pace, but it seems like he's quite erratic with the ball at his feet.
Hopefully he can learn to cross his speed is great tho

jloome

I'd say the opposite! He has good pace on the run but his first step is pretty slow. His balance is very good, though, so he can stay on the ball in traffic.

Interesting find. Be interesting to see him play upfront.

Fushida

doesn't really show off his crossing ability at all... i suppose we won't be needing too much of that with the short strikers that we have on trial now. that said, the vid has a lot of him cutting in and making some decent cutbacks into the box. seems to have some skill with his feet and some pace and flair.

TFC14
01-29-2011, 01:59 PM
doesn't really show off his crossing ability at all... i suppose we won't be needing too much of that with the short strikers that we have on trial now. that said, the vid has a lot of him cutting in and making some decent cutbacks into the box. seems to have some skill with his feet and some pace and flair.
Don't forget Maicon Santos...he's 6'1

jloome
01-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Interesting list. Totally built for a 4-3-3, although very right side heavy. Anyone know who's got a good left foot on this list?

TFCRegina
01-29-2011, 02:05 PM
I thought Sidra did. Sidra did play leftback for the CMNT during the Venezuela Friendly last year.

TFC14
01-29-2011, 02:06 PM
One thing I find interesting...that Brazilian striker Camilo da Silva Sanvezzo that Toronto reportedly signed from Malta isn't on the list of players Training in Turkey.

jloome
01-29-2011, 02:14 PM
One thing I find interesting...that Brazilian striker Camilo da Silva Sanvezzo that Toronto reportedly signed from Malta isn't on the list of players Training in Turkey.

Yeah. Couple that with the amateur hour defence he played against in his video and one suspects it has the malodorous whiff of agent bullshit to it.

TFC14
01-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Yeah. Couple that with the amateur hour defence he played against in his video and one suspects it has the malodorous whiff of agent bullshit to it.
It amazes me how these rumours even start..a Brazilian playing in Malta linked to a team in Toronto Canada...I guess any press is good press, the fact that Malta papers are talking about our team...a slowly growing world recognition 1 small rumour at a time

Yohan
01-29-2011, 02:26 PM
It amazes me how these rumours even start..a Brazilian playing in Malta linked to a team in Toronto Canada...I guess any press is good press, the fact that Malta papers are talking about our team...a slowly growing world recognition 1 small rumour at a time
yep. all of Malta and its what, 50 newspaper readers? ;)

UltraSuperMegaMo
01-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Interesting players, good to see the team looking at young (young by MLS standards, younger by Euro. standards) players. Still wondering who's going to score goals for the team other than De Ro.

TFCRegina
01-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Interesting players, good to see the team looking at young (young by MLS standards, younger by Euro. standards) players. Still wondering who's going to score goals for the team other than De Ro.

I guess we'll have to see. But I think there is at least one Dutch striker in the mix.

If the team can be assembled properly, De Ro's goal production should come down, and his assist production should go up.

We'll have to see though.

TFC14
01-29-2011, 02:34 PM
yep. all of Malta and its what, 50 newspaper readers? ;)
Lol I'm half Maltese maybe thats why I consider it interesting...but yeah the entire country is about the size of Hamilton

TFC14
01-29-2011, 02:41 PM
I guess we'll have to see. But I think there is at least one Dutch striker in the mix.

If the team can be assembled properly, De Ro's goal production should come down, and his assist production should go up.

We'll have to see though.
I think ideally you wouldn't want DeRo's goal totals to go down at all...you want at least one more guy that can net the same or more as him...if were playing attacking football I'm hoping we have a few players at 10 goals or more...last year our team leading scorers read as this... DeRo 15, Barrett 7, Santos 4. I understand what your saying, but I think until this team signs someone that has a pedigree for scoring we still have to count on Dwayne for the majority of the goals and find players to support him on the pitch... For instance you want him with Donovan like numbers 7 goals 16 assists...we need to find our "Buddle" to score 17 goals first for that to happen.

Redpunkfiddle
01-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Interesting list. Totally built for a 4-3-3, although very right side heavy. Anyone know who's got a good left foot on this list?

Jacob Pet....

oh.

ArmenJBX
01-29-2011, 02:47 PM
This is Jacob Peterson's Breakout Year!

BELIEVE.

Red CB Toronto
01-29-2011, 02:50 PM
I believe Junior Burgos is waiting on visa, as he is a El Salvadorian national. He was not at media day in Toronto due to this.

reggie
01-29-2011, 02:51 PM
i hear proactive is a good product if he breaks out..lol

denime
01-29-2011, 03:25 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/reds-reveal-trialists

HERE WE GO,FULL LIST OF TRIALIST IN TURKEY !

denime
01-29-2011, 03:25 PM

FULL LIST OF PLAYERS IN TURKEY !

Stryker
01-29-2011, 03:31 PM
^ Already posted.

I'd be surprised if Sidra isn't signed. Frankly we don't have anyone else to play LB.

denime
01-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Good,doing it from the phone is not easy to see,so i posted just in case.

ArmenJBX
01-29-2011, 03:46 PM
WOW.
Just looking at the ages, De Rosario is the ONLY player born in the 70s.

We must have the youngest team in the league.
Where's the experience? :(
Young is good, but we need some veterans too

TFCRegina
01-29-2011, 03:51 PM
WOW.

We're trying to build a system. If it's truly a 3 year plan (:D) then you need to grab players who are younger so you can build the system over 3 years. Now this only holds if Winter and Mariner don't dump players at the same rate as Mo Jo.

TFC14
01-29-2011, 03:55 PM
WOW.

You don't need to be old to be experienced in this league, I would argue Caan, deguzman, dero and even frei have the experience to lead this younger group on the pitch and in understanding the mls in general.

DangerRed
01-29-2011, 04:24 PM

Jacob Peterson, but you're asking about a *good* left foot. He just has a shitty one. This past season I was at every match in which he played, and seriously, the guy's godawful. No accuracy, super nervous on the ball and gets frustrated, which just leads to more mistakes.

Auzzy
01-29-2011, 04:39 PM
^ I was hoping for another Peterson thread, we haven't had one for a while, good distraction from all the Dero threads. I doubt I will get this response in before JimmyBaldX anyway... ;)

I'm hoping that in the end, the new guys will possibly sign/trade for one or two more experienced players to add to this bunch. The type that won't come for a trial anyway. Winter hinted at DP hopes already. Plus, there might be someone older among the South & North American trialists expected at the camp in Florida. We shall see. But yes overall there's definitely a youth movement afoot.

ArmenJBX
01-29-2011, 04:40 PM
He's the next Lionel Messi.

TFCRegina
01-29-2011, 05:06 PM

I thought that was Dan Gargan.

oxygenatedbrain
01-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Video is up now on TFC site...

TFC/Everton
01-29-2011, 05:18 PM
I have to say, I have a better feeling this year then I did last year. Good amount of contracted players, mixed with draft picks, academy players and trailists. Didn't we have 12 guys in camp last year when we started???

DangerRed
01-29-2011, 05:38 PM

Dude, what's with your mancrush on Peterson? I understand admiring players with quality, but he's simply not good. I mean, every stat, appearance, move he makes proves that point. Why do you like him, just out of curiosity?

ArmenJBX
01-29-2011, 05:48 PM
LOL :D

It was originally in response to Roogsy's mancrush on De Rosario, but now it's just a shtick I find amusing to maintain. :D

That being said, I do actually like him as a player, and I think this year he will shine. This board has a way of making players sound like the worst thing on the planet when in reality they're just getting their groove.

No one here can say they've seen a player settle in, because we get rid of um too quickly. Once Peterson settles in, I'm sure he'll be an element in the lineup, whether starting or otherwise.

DangerRed
01-29-2011, 05:53 PM
I'd say Chad Barrett had a time to settle in and was around for quite a bit of time before he was shipped out. I bet he'll have a breakout year in LA (yes, I'm a huge Barrett fan, I guess he's my Jacob Peterson) but I don't think it has to do with settling in. I think it's more a factor of inherent skill limitation with guys like Jacob.